Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You can just go to a bar to watch sports with other normal human beings.

Sports can't wait. Storage and network can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

+1

Literally all my coworkers just come into the office to socialize then if I mention going to a bar I get blindsided with "Well, I'd have to drive there!".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

jaegerx posted:

I can't find cubs games at any bars. No one has the channel, since there are now 2 wgns, and the one that shows cubs games is local only.

I have on fact tried, and stopped going to several bars on the basis of this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

RFC2324 posted:

I can't find cubs games at any bars. No one has the channel, since there are now 2 wgns, and the one that shows cubs games is local only.

I have on fact tried, and stopped going to several bars on the basis of this.

MLB.tv and a VPN if you are in Chicago. Works like a charm.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I took this week off. My team just made a change and broke something. They don't realize it's broken yet. What they broke is a BIG deal and customers are drat sure going to let them know over the next 6 to 12 hours. Do I tell them? Decisions, decisions.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I took this week off. My team just made a change and broke something. They don't realize it's broken yet. What they broke is a BIG deal and customers are drat sure going to let them know over the next 6 to 12 hours. Do I tell them? Decisions, decisions.

No, you don't know about this.

Alternatively, you tell them and they tell you to fix it since you are the one who caused it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

kensei posted:

MLB.tv and a VPN if you are in Chicago. Works like a charm.

VPN or unblock us. MLB.tv is the poo poo but their blackout rules are frustrating

However, the fire TV doesn't work with this solution unless using Kodi, the native app uses some other (non-IP) geographical method (perhaps Amazon account address). Kodi either a charm though

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

jaegerx posted:

I used to just go to the bar and watch football with friends all Sunday drinking low alcohol beers. It owned.

But now I have kids so :rip:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

I've never setup a 3040, but this is what I did in the BIOS Setup to get Win7 to install on newer Dell machines: Go to Secure Boot and set it to disabled, Then General > Advanced Boot Options and check "Enable Legacy Option ROMs", Save and reboot, enter Bios Setup again and change the Boot Sequence from UEFI to Legacy. That works for the OptiPlex 7040 and 9020, as well as the new Latitudes.

No, damnit, you're going backwards. UEFI also happens to be necessary for Credential/Device Guard, if you ever want to implement that you'll need to wipe the devices again.

Think of it as Dell saving you migration work down the line.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No, damnit, you're going backwards. UEFI also happens to be necessary for Credential/Device Guard, if you ever want to implement that you'll need to wipe the devices again.

Think of it as Dell saving you migration work down the line.

Hahahaha trust me I've tried to tell people around here about that. The problem is we're still using an old version of Altiris for image deployment that isn't compatible with UEFI or GPT partition tables, and moving to new things costs money/is scary. I did set up MDT as an alternative, but my boss decided to axe that project for ~reasons~. So now MDT is only used by me to keep my Win 10 reference image up to date.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dudes that expressed fireTV interest I sent you a PM of info for how to do things/what site to look at etc so I don't poo poo up the thread anymore. Go spend $50 and check it out, it's worth the cash

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Got an email from AT&T via monster.com about a call center position.

Literally would rather go back to manual labor.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 15, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Hey Cisco people; do any of you use the BE6000 line of VoiP? I'm needing to replace a super EOL UC560 and am being pointed in this direction. Looking for general opinion of what they cost and if they're any good while I wait for my rep to get back to me.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Walked posted:

VPN or unblock us. MLB.tv is the poo poo but their blackout rules are frustrating

However, the fire TV doesn't work with this solution unless using Kodi, the native app uses some other (non-IP) geographical method (perhaps Amazon account address). Kodi either a charm though

Do you know if that's true even if you use unblock-us dns at the router? That's how do it and mlb on Roku works fine. I'd be disappointed if that stopped working. Is there a particular mlb Kodi plugin you prefer? It looks like there are a couple.

E: sorry, didn't see the post above, I'd be happy to take it to PMs.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The Nards Pan posted:

Do you know if that's true even if you use unblock-us dns at the router? That's how do it and mlb on Roku works fine. I'd be disappointed if that stopped working. Is there a particular mlb Kodi plugin you prefer? It looks like there are a couple.

Yes; even at the router level unblock-us does not work with the FireTV/MLB.tv combo.

It's unfortunate but that's the reality. I dont know anyone who has gotten a successful workaround on this one.

The plugin I use is from the eracknophobia (sp?) repo. I'll have to take a look tonight if you need more specifics.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Nards Pan posted:

E: sorry, didn't see the post above, I'd be happy to take it to PMs.

For kodi, use Castaway that's the number 1 sports add-on, it does all sports from what I can tell even stuff like rugby. Check this site out: https://www.tvaddons.ag/livetv-march2016/ or this one is a smaller list: http://kodifiretvstick.com/best-kodi-sports-addons-2016/

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 15, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Sorry recruiters out there, apparently I'm the guy that dicks you around just to get a better number to throw in front of the job I'm interviewing for that I really want.

To be fair though this recruiter blind-messaged me on LinkedIn to offer a position out in Maryland (I'm in Illinois). I've already tacked on 10k + relocation reimbursement to achieve some astronomical number and she's still willing to spend the time to talk to me. These will make for some great numbers to throw out during salary negotiations next week at my second interview for a job I'm really excited for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

People who spam recruitment emails for jobs across the country deserve any jerking around they get.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

People who spam recruitment emails for jobs across the country deserve any jerking around they get.

I just recieved some job listings for SAP consultance, even though I've never ever touched a SAP system in my life...

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sorry recruiters out there, apparently I'm the guy that dicks you around just to get a better number to throw in front of the job I'm interviewing for that I really want.

To be fair though this recruiter blind-messaged me on LinkedIn to offer a position out in Maryland (I'm in Illinois). I've already tacked on 10k + relocation reimbursement to achieve some astronomical number and she's still willing to spend the time to talk to me. These will make for some great numbers to throw out during salary negotiations next week at my second interview for a job I'm really excited for.

I just started a corp recruiting job for a major bank so I'm sure I'm about to start seeing more of this. Apparently they use LinkedIn as their primary sourcing tool. Weeeee.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Having a weird Vpn issue. Intermittently, dns will stop working for Vpn clients. All other traffic is still fine, you an literally do everything else as long as you know the correct ip addresses. The only fix I have found is to just disconnect and reconnect, and it usually starts working correctly again. Any ideas?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Throw Wireshark on a pc and see where it's trying to route the DNS request as a starting point.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Fool posted:

Having a weird Vpn issue. Intermittently, dns will stop working for Vpn clients. All other traffic is still fine, you an literally do everything else as long as you know the correct ip addresses. The only fix I have found is to just disconnect and reconnect, and it usually starts working correctly again. Any ideas?
What VPN client?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

I've used a Fortigate VPN client that would sometimes stop the DNS Client service after a tunnel was established. I didn't look into it, and no one seemed to care when I brought it up, and I don't work at that place anymore. Now I work at a place where the DNS servers that the VPN client establishes have old DNS servers on it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

I've used a Fortigate VPN client that would sometimes stop the DNS Client service after a tunnel was established. I didn't look into it, and no one seemed to care when I brought it up, and I don't work at that place anymore. Now I work at a place where the DNS servers that the VPN client establishes have old DNS servers on it.

Nslookup seems to indicate that dns traffic is just timing out.

Vulture Culture posted:

What VPN client?

Windows.

I'll try to throw some packet capture on it next time the issue comes up.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I know we all love getting mad at Cisco for bugs but I just dealt with a nice whopper from Palo Alto.

Didn't even touch the firewall - changed bgp config (not peering with affected unit) on another PA yet our local one stopped forwarding dhcp and udp traffic. After 6 hours of troubleshooting and debugging, turns out hardware acceleration bugged out and had to be disabled for traffic to return. When we re-enabled it crashed again. Had to reload.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sepist posted:

I know we all love getting mad at Cisco for bugs but I just dealt with a nice whopper from Palo Alto.

Didn't even touch the firewall - changed bgp config (not peering with affected unit) on another PA yet our local one stopped forwarding dhcp and udp traffic. After 6 hours of troubleshooting and debugging, turns out hardware acceleration bugged out and had to be disabled for traffic to return. When we re-enabled it crashed again. Had to reload.

Yeah, but, We've had numerous times where our 6500 series core switches have poo poo the bed and our "network admin" (or, in the absence of him, Me) have had to cobble together some stacked 3750G's to take over... (for comparisons sake, I make approx. 50k in the bay area. The normal "network admin" makes about 30k more than I). Don't you love being the on call bastard for healthcare? Hours of downtime, hours of being on the phone with our network engineers and Cisco engineers... Yeah, you get the idea. (Honestly, I feel for the poor Network Engineers that make about I do, because Texas.) Seriously, gently caress Dell Services.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What do you all use for system integration? Our systems are currently a clusterfuck of half-baked integration attempts, best case involving using SSIS to dump data from one database into a file on a share and another SSIS job to read it back into another database, worst case someone writes data into excel and saves it as csv which gets copied by a vbscript and imported into an application using a black box .exe written ten years ago with no source code available. There's quite a lot of data getting shuffled back and forth this way, and there's at least one incident daily where a file contains invalid data, everything falls apart like a stack of dominos and I have to spend an hour chasing down an errant invalid character or something stupid like that.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

TWBalls posted:

Yeah, but, We've had numerous times where our 6500 series core switches have poo poo the bed and our "network admin" (or, in the absence of him, Me) have had to cobble together some stacked 3750G's to take over... (for comparisons sake, I make approx. 50k in the bay area. The normal "network admin" makes about 30k more than I). Don't you love being the on call bastard for healthcare? Hours of downtime, hours of being on the phone with our network engineers and Cisco engineers... Yeah, you get the idea. (Honestly, I feel for the poor Network Engineers that make about I do, because Texas.) Seriously, gently caress Dell Services.

That's surprising, the 6500 is one of the most bullet proof devices cisco ever made. I've seen them sitting around for 14 years running catOS before a fan dies (which of course requires downtime because the someone ran the cables to both sides covering the fan module).

There's probably more outages weekly caused by the POS that is the nexus brand than 6500 outages ever.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

So I checked the auth.log on my rpi today and noticed I have friends in China!

Between 2 ip addresses they've been trying to login about 50.000 times in the past 5 days.

Guess they're trying to brute force their way in.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Install fail2ban imo. My rpi also has a chinese ip or 2 constantly in there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

So I checked the auth.log on my rpi today and noticed I have friends in China!

Between 2 ip addresses they've been trying to login about 50.000 times in the past 5 days.

Guess they're trying to brute force their way in.
Disable ssh password authentication. Which is a good idea regardless.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have password auth enabled. Just, no user has a password. Leave the trap open :v:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

The Fool posted:

Nslookup seems to indicate that dns traffic is just timing out.

Well, nslookup just won't function if the DNS server isn't reachable. Which is weird because you're saying you can still ping devices with just their IPs. How many DCs do you have? Are all of these devices domain-joined?

And when you say Windows do you mean just the native Windows VPN client? I had to google it - do you have a VPN set up on a machine on your network and you're doing port forwarding from a firewall or something by any chance?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Collateral Damage posted:

Disable ssh password authentication. Which is a good idea regardless.

Also move SSH off port 22. By and large they don't bother port scanning addresses and checking responses, they just try all 4 billion IPv4 addresses on port 22 and then hammer the ones that respond.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sheep posted:

Also move SSH off port 22. By and large they don't bother port scanning addresses and checking responses, they just try all 4 billion IPv4 addresses on port 22 and then hammer the ones that respond.

Can not echo this enough. If you can move a service off of common ports without impacting usability you cut the number of random scans in your logs down to basically zero. My older PBXes that listen on port 5060 usually have fail2ban lists a mile long, where the newer ones that listen on a random high port in many cases have never seen a real attack.

I wish more client software supported SRV records, because they allow you to run a service on whatever arbitrary port you would like without having to provide anything more than a DNS name to your end users. VoIP phones and Minecraft are about 90% of the SRV usage I've seen in the real world.

It's technically "security by obscurity" but that's not always a bad thing. Hiding works, as long as it's just stacked on top of your normal defenses.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I'd like to extend a personal gently caress YOU to apple for killing PPTP in MacOS and making me reconfigure all 60-ish VPN routers I have.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sepist posted:

heh We ran into some really weird mikrotik problems at my last job.
Like VPN traffic being transmitted out of order, ports randomly disabling themselves...

I remember some real good ones with the CCR and RB2011
You plug in a usb and the router shits itself.
It wouldn't boot unless something was trying to PoE - turned out to be a lovely power supply.
The IPSEC tunnel would get pissy and just drop all packets. You couldn't restore it until after you rebooted ALL of the endpoints.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

heh We ran into some really weird mikrotik problems at my last job.
Like VPN traffic being transmitted out of order, ports randomly disabling themselves...

I remember some real good ones with the CCR and RB2011
You plug in a usb and the router shits itself.
It wouldn't boot unless something was trying to PoE - turned out to be a lovely power supply.
The IPSEC tunnel would get pissy and just drop all packets. You couldn't restore it until after you rebooted ALL of the endpoints.

A recent version of RouterOS would randomly and unfixably poo poo all your GRE tunnels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Farking Bastage posted:

I'd like to extend a personal gently caress YOU to apple for killing PPTP in MacOS and making me reconfigure all 60-ish VPN routers I have.

Thanks for the heads up, :gbsmith: