Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I got one. Hope it lasts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I'm trying a brisket for 48 hours at 133, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I think I'm gonna blow torch it at the end.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

I'm trying a brisket for 48 hours at 133, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I think I'm gonna blow torch it at the end.

Then your username is appropriate. Blowtorching always leads to sadness.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Then your username is appropriate. Blowtorching always leads to sadness.

Why so?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It tends to be uneven and, for lack of a better term, unnatural. You really can't get that proper browning, it tends to be go from zero to just plain charred. It's nothing like something with a proper sear, or slow browned in an oven. I can't imagine it will even close to a proper bark. Certainly give it a shot, but I've never been happy with a blowtorch crust.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

It tends to be uneven and, for lack of a better term, unnatural. You really can't get that proper browning, it tends to be go from zero to just plain charred. It's nothing like something with a proper sear, or slow browned in an oven. I can't imagine it will even close to a proper bark. Certainly give it a shot, but I've never been happy with a blowtorch crust.

You're a blowtorch crust.

So uh how should I finish it without cooking the gently caress out of it?

My options are oven and blowtorch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

You're a blowtorch crust.

So uh how should I finish it without cooking the gently caress out of it?

My options are oven and blowtorch.

I did a prime rib recipe that had me put the rested rib roast back in a 500+ degree oven for 5 minutes. That gave it a nice even crust without cooking it noticeably further. You could try that.

I think the searzall is supposed to overcome the problems of the blowtorch, but it just doesn't put out enough btu's to do the job right.

comedy option: dip the brisket in liquid nitrogen briefly, then deep fry it for a minute.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

I did a prime rib recipe that had me put the rested rib roast back in a 500+ degree oven for 5 minutes. That gave it a nice even crust without cooking it noticeably further. You could try that.
This sounds reasonable

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

This sounds reasonable

Make sure you pat it dry really well before you do whatever you do. Water is the enemy of browning.

And definitely give the blowtorch a shot on a small spot on it so you can see what I'm talking about. It's hard to explain, but it just comes out...different.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think the searzall is supposed to overcome the problems of the blowtorch, but it just doesn't put out enough btu's to do the job right.

comedy option: dip the brisket in liquid nitrogen briefly, then deep fry it for a minute.

Can confirm after a few weeks with one that screaming hot cast iron > searzall (though I guess that's not an option in this case)

Definitely easier to clean up after a torching if I'm feeling lazy, and easier to deal with bumpy stuff like chicken thighs, so still a handy tool in the box IMO

I have not tried the oven or its broiler, for the same reason Bum the Sad posited, that I figured even 500deg+ wouldn't be hot enough to sear it without cooking it more inside. Guess that depends on the meat in question, though.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 16, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Ciaphas posted:

Can confirm after a few weeks with one that screaming hot cast iron > searzall (though I guess that's not an option in this case)

Definitely easier to clean up after a torching if I'm feeling lazy, and easier to deal with bumpy stuff like chicken thighs, so still a handy tool in the box IMO

I have not tried the oven or its broiler, for the same reason Bum the Sad posited, that I figured even 500deg+ wouldn't be hot enough to sear it without cooking it more inside. Guess that depends on the meat in question, though.

You know the brisket is flat and cut into quarters (I did half of it and froze the other)

Honestly I could cast iron it, it'd fit most of it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just uh, open windows and fans and maybe have a spatter guard handy, but I'm sure you know that :v:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Make sure you pat it dry really well before you do whatever you do. Water is the enemy of browning.

And definitely give the blowtorch a shot on a small spot on it so you can see what I'm talking about. It's hard to explain, but it just comes out...different.

Pat it dry and run the blowtorch over real fast to dry the outside if you want.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Any thoughts on a top sirloin?

I'm thinking 130 for 90-2 hours then sear on the cast iron inferno of Maillard-as-gently caress-ering, then serving with Hollandaise, Béarnaise, or Choron sauce and Asparagus.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

I definitely want to give cryofrying a shot someday.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What does cryofrying do?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its right at the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tgxzXmpKQ

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Ok took out a test piece at 42 hours. Dried wig paper towel and torch. Now have it in the oven at 500 degrees for 10 minutes.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Very tasty. Still a little chewy. Think I'm gonna leave it in till tomorrow afternoonish for a 64-70 hour cook. (Started 8pm Thursday.)

I wonder if it'll ever get truly tender at 133.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 17, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Any thoughts on a top sirloin?

I'm thinking 130 for 90-2 hours then sear on the cast iron inferno of Maillard-as-gently caress-ering, then serving with Hollandaise, Béarnaise, or Choron sauce and Asparagus.

quoting myself because I'm still pondering this meal.
Has anyone combined the overnight brine/drying of the steak (salt pepper then on a cookie rack uncovered) then bag/puddle/sear vs season and rest in the bag?

Edit: :derp: I have TWO sirloins. I can do some science!

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 17, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Very tastey. Still a little chewy. Think I'm gonna leave it in till tomorrow afternoonish for a 64-70 hour cook. (Started 8pm Thursday.)

I wonder if it'll ever get truly tender at 133.

I like short ribs at 132 for 48 hours but a lot of folks do 72 hours. So I'm sure it's doable, just needs more time. The finish looks pretty good though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Looks like Mellow is shipping in November. I'd forgotten that I ordered one.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

I like short ribs at 132 for 48 hours but a lot of folks do 72 hours. So I'm sure it's doable, just needs more time. The finish looks pretty good though.

I paper toweled it, then lightly blow torched it(just for drying purposes like that goon suggested) then I threw it in a 500 degree oven for like 9 minutes.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

this looks too ~*internet of things*~ for my taste.

But let us know how well it works anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just wanted the hold-cold-then-heat part, but yeah I fear it's going to come with a wearable and voice control or something.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Zé is the inventor of Mellow or something and posts here time and again. Glad they are finally shipping, but I cancelled my preorder ages ago. I don't need a third puddle and my Dad can buy his own if he wants one (to go with the vacuum chamber sealer he took out of the box and still hasn't used).

The ability to keep cold and then heat is a good idea, but capacity seemed small.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i remember way back when a goon was thinking of sous videing an entire lamb leg and the thread being in uproar that it was too thick and hence dangerous. Is that still a thing? not because i intend to do it just i ate roast lambs leg last night and remembered

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

Zé is the inventor of Mellow or something and posts here time and again. Glad they are finally shipping, but I cancelled my preorder ages ago. I don't need a third puddle and my Dad can buy his own if he wants one (to go with the vacuum chamber sealer he took out of the box and still hasn't used).

The ability to keep cold and then heat is a good idea, but capacity seemed small.

I'll see whether this replaces or augments my Anova. I think cold-hot will be most useful for weeknight dinners, where I'm cooking for two. For larger cooks I'm usually around to set stuff correctly, or I guess I could use a smart plug or timer like a goddamned peasant.

(I'll take your dad's sealer, if it's in the way.)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's really easy to roast a leg of lamb and not screw it up in my opinion. I don't think SV adds much to the process.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
My Anova has some kind of cold feature but doesn't tell you how to use it. I think you load the container with ice. And then you can start it remotely at some point. Some message board people says the all will yell at you of it gets too warm from the ice melting so you can go ahead and start it early if needed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

It's really easy to roast a leg of lamb and not screw it up in my opinion. I don't think SV adds much to the process.

i just remember someone suggesting it so thought i'd ask the thread

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

No difference. Both delicious.

My bearnaise broke while holding on service. Still delicious.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Jose posted:

i remember way back when a goon was thinking of sous videing an entire lamb leg and the thread being in uproar that it was too thick and hence dangerous. Is that still a thing? not because i intend to do it just i ate roast lambs leg last night and remembered

Botulism spores (bad bad bad) thrive in a warm (but not hot) environment (that is also low oxygen and low acidity). This is why you're supposed to dunk your cooked steak sacks into ice water if you're not going to sear and serve them right away.

The center of a leg of lamb cooked sous vide will take a long time to rise above the ~dangerzone~, increasing the opportunity for your roast to become tainted with Botox.

I would advise against cooking a whole leg of lamb sous vide, but if I were to bet on it, you probably won't die a painful death from it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Whiskey Sours posted:

Botulism spores (bad bad bad) thrive in a warm (but not hot) environment (that is also low oxygen and low acidity). This is why you're supposed to dunk your cooked steak sacks into ice water if you're not going to sear and serve them right away.

The center of a leg of lamb cooked sous vide will take a long time to rise above the ~dangerzone~, increasing the opportunity for your roast to become tainted with Botox.

I would advise against cooking a whole leg of lamb sous vide, but if I were to bet on it, you probably won't die a painful death from it.

Tried a whole shoulder of lamb sousvide.

Smelled a bit weird when I got it out of the bag it came in. Packaging said "it might smell, let it air out" .

Let it air out, then sealed it up and vizzled it for 12 hours.

The foul smell permeated the whole joint. Did not eat.

Moral of story: don't buy British lamb from a supermarket. NZ lamb or decent butchers only.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Was it bone in

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Was it bone in

I think so. It was a while ago. All I remember was the taste.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Horse Clocks posted:

I think so. It was a while ago. All I remember was the taste.

You ate it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Could one make safe to eat "raw" cookie dough by the low and slow pasteurization curve?

I mean there are eggless recipes out there already, but it could be interesting.

Thoughts?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

Could one make safe to eat "raw" cookie dough by the low and slow pasteurization curve?

I mean there are eggless recipes out there already, but it could be interesting.

Thoughts?

I made it with pasteurized eggs (pasteurized via sous vide) for my pregnant wife years ago, but now the FDA says not even raw flour is safe. If you try to cook the cookie dough low and slow the butter fat is going to melt and god knows what will happen to the texture of the dough. But I'm not sure how you would pasteurize the flour by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I made it with pasteurized eggs (pasteurized via sous vide) for my pregnant wife years ago, but now the FDA says not even raw flour is safe. If you try to cook the cookie dough low and slow the butter fat is going to melt and god knows what will happen to the texture of the dough. But I'm not sure how you would pasteurize the flour by itself.

Could you not just SV a pouch of flour at sufficiently high temperature?