Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Looking at this, I'm envisioning such insane alternate possible scenarios that I'm not sure I even want to speculate on the more reasonable scenarios, even though it looks like the game has given us enough to put together a logical chain of events. It's going to take some more testimony before the exact sequence of events is clear (IF that ever happens), and I'm just eagerly awaiting the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
This scene and the climax of the second game are more or less tied for my favorite parts of the AA series.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's no surprise that they weren't really level headed, given the circumstances, but Yogi and the Edgeworths weren't acting really smart. They were panicking about suffocating in this airtight elevator, but didn't even consider breaking the (clearly breakable) glass.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Air is lava! posted:

It's no surprise that they weren't really level headed, given the circumstances, but Yogi and the Edgeworths weren't acting really smart. They were panicking about suffocating in this airtight elevator, but didn't even consider breaking the (clearly breakable) glass.

Could they really have fit through there without cutting themselves?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Air is lava! posted:

I feel the same way. I think Japan is very strict on gun usage, hence why they never considered that option.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Could they really have fit through there without cutting themselves?

Air could have.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I feel the same way. I think Japan is very strict on gun usage, hence why they never considered that option.

Do Japan's gun control laws forbid pistolwhipping a window open to be able to breathe until the elevator gets unjammed? That seems like the clearest option being suggested.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

: Though it's unconventional for me, I'd like to run this one by the book.
I'm pretty sure subtlety goes out the window when admitting to a career foul play in front of a judge in open court.

Credit where it's due, though, von Karma plays the long game: he (probably) shot Edgeworth Sr., corrupted his son as a prosecutor, set up Yogi to frame Edgeworth for murder fifteen years later, and then still kept this backup plan on hand by programming Edgeworth well enough that he'd fall on his sword when the time came. And over a single penalty? That's commitment to pettiness, there.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

KataraniSword posted:

Do Japan's gun control laws forbid pistolwhipping a window open to be able to breathe until the elevator gets unjammed? That seems like the clearest option being suggested.

Just throwing the gun made it go off, repeated pistol-whipping would've resulted in a bloody massacre.

That's all ignoring the windows itself. Have any of you ever been in an elevator with these door windows? They are usually pretty heavy duty. Even normal glass doesn't break as easily as in the movies, and even the pistol shot in the photo just punctured a small hole, the webbed glass around it still holds.

I guess one method would have been shooting several holes into the windows, which they might not have wanted to consider for a lot of obvious reasons

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Malah posted:

I'm pretty sure subtlety goes out the window when admitting to a career foul play in front of a judge in open court.

I mean, he's been a prosecutor for 40 years without one defendant found innocent. I'm pretty sure most everyone realizes he's at least somewhat crooked but too afraid to outright say it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Malah posted:

Credit where it's due, though, von Karma plays the long game: he (probably) shot Edgeworth Sr., corrupted his son as a prosecutor, set up Yogi to frame Edgeworth for murder fifteen years later, and then still kept this backup plan on hand by programming Edgeworth well enough that he'd fall on his sword when the time came. And over a single penalty? That's commitment to pettiness, there.

The interesting thing here is that Edgeworth being willing to confess his 'crime' means his sense of justice is very much intact and he makes no bones about not exempting himself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Malah posted:

And over a single penalty? That's commitment to pettiness, there.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=8290396

Spoiler disclaimer, don't go looking around the root of that site if you don't want to see the sprites of future characters.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I remember seeing those all the time a while back and I love that I'm now going to actually understand the context. :allears:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean, he's been a prosecutor for 40 years without one defendant found innocent. I'm pretty sure most everyone realizes he's at least somewhat crooked but too afraid to outright say it.

Of course people who have worked around him know that something's up, but he's at least bothered to maintain a veneer of legitimacy so far. I think he got a bit excited in this case, and it's why Uncle Phil turned on him a bit after a while, but he can't get away with that for 40 years without knowing how to cover his rear end on the back-end operations.

Night10194 posted:

The interesting thing here is that Edgeworth being willing to confess his 'crime' means his sense of justice is very much intact and he makes no bones about not exempting himself.

I think that's the key part of why it actually worked: von Karma turned Edgeworth to the dark arts of prosecution and kravat while winding him up, but he left Edgeworth with a soul to come back for later. I doubt von Karma expected much resistance in court with his reputation and Edgeworth's guilt weighing him down, and the trial so far has only eroded Edgeworth's resolve even further. Yogi knew exactly what he was doing when he got up on the stand and gave his last testimony - that was addressed at Edgeworth more-so than the judge. If anything, von Karma was wondering why the hell Edgeworth was taking so long to say something at the end.

von Karma's gimmick annoyed me a bit at first, but my approval deepens with each layer of planning that went into this charade. It's obviously going to blow up in his face, but still.

Malah fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 14, 2016

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

I genuinely adore that they thought the same thing I did when I first saw Edgeworth: that anyone with a belief system that "everyone is guilty" has something seriously messed up in their past. He thinks he committed a murder when he was a kid, so of course he thinks every defendant is guilty! What seems like a terrifying character oversight is actually foreshadowing for the climax of the game.

The degree to which Capcom thought of everything is rivalled only by von Karma himself.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tax Refund posted:

Gregory Peckworth

Edgeworth.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
: The name's Pecker. Miles Pecker.

: The ladies can attest it's not just a name.

: Stop laughing.
: WHY IS EVERYONE LAUGHING

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

HenryEx posted:

Just throwing the gun made it go off, repeated pistol-whipping would've resulted in a bloody massacre.

That's all ignoring the windows itself. Have any of you ever been in an elevator with these door windows? They are usually pretty heavy duty. Even normal glass doesn't break as easily as in the movies, and even the pistol shot in the photo just punctured a small hole, the webbed glass around it still holds.

I guess one method would have been shooting several holes into the windows, which they might not have wanted to consider for a lot of obvious reasons

They could have just removed the ammo before the pistol-whipping to avoid accidental discharges, but I'd agree that probably wouldn't have been enough to break it. You'd think they'd get desperate enough to start shooting the glass once the oxygen started running out, though. They probably would have only needed to shoot once, then pistol-whipped the webbed glass.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Okay here's what happened.

1: the :parrot: caused the earthquake, which certainly killed thousands.

2: The :parrot: flew in from the open hole in the elevator roof because there's always a vent or something in elevators.

3: The :parrot: picked up the gun and busted a cap in Papa Edgeworth, using its beak so that's why there's no fingerprints on it.

4: The :parrot: then flew away, free to kill again and again.

I've solved it, get the chair ready Gumshoe, we're having blackened bird tonight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

C. Everett Koop posted:

1: the :parrot: caused the earthquake, which certainly killed thousands.

2: The :parrot: flew in from the open hole in the elevator roof because there's always a vent or something in elevators.

3: The :parrot: picked up the gun and busted a cap in Papa Edgeworth, using its beak so that's why there's no fingerprints on it.

4: The :parrot: then flew away, free to kill again and again.

I've solved it, get the chair ready Gumshoe, we're having blackened bird tonight.

:parrot: is a massive fucker.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

HenryEx posted:

Remember, the proof needs to be in the Court Record for you to present it. :v:

This gets really annoying when I've figured out what happened and have a piece of evidence I think will prove it but the game is like 'woah slow down there son, your a crazy man.'
Which turns into showing a different bit of proof which leads to something being added to the court record, which I later show as proof... And then I'm allowed to present my first piece of evidence to solve the case :shepicide:

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

:objection:

If the parrot flew through a hole in the elevator roof... the oxygen couldn't have run out in the elevator, as air could have gotten in through whatever hole let the parrot in!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

This gets really annoying when I've figured out what happened and have a piece of evidence I think will prove it but the game is like 'woah slow down there son, your a crazy man.'
Which turns into showing a different bit of proof which leads to something being added to the court record, which I later show as proof... And then I'm allowed to present my first piece of evidence to solve the case :shepicide:

You mean, like

(there's no spoilers in the above pic, it's entirely made up)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I finally got around to watching the Ace Attorney movie yesterday. It did an okay job of adapting this game but I would still probably play the game again then re-watch the movie.

EponymousMrYar posted:

HenryEx posted:

You mean, like

(there's no spoilers in the above pic, it's entirely made up)

Yeah this is how I am currently feeling with the later half of Spirit of Justice. Phoenix, welcome to what I figured out 2 hours ago before the trial game play even started.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, if Edgeworth thinks everybody's guilty of something, I don't see how exposing his supposed mentor's supposed guilt is really going to break him of that.

This is why you accuse everyone else of the things you do yourself. Then anybody who believes you just winds up more cynical.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Edgeworth's problem isn't that he believes everyone's guilty, it's that he believes everyone he prosecutes MUST be guilty, despite any evidence to the contrary. He's been fighting not for justice, but for verdicts. Now he's on the receiving end.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Miles internally is convinced he's guilty of killing his father, add that to Manfred's style of "results at any cost" prosecution and you get the guy from Case 1-2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

Edgeworth's problem isn't that he believes everyone's guilty, it's that he believes everyone he prosecutes MUST be guilty, despite any evidence to the contrary. He's been fighting not for justice, but for verdicts. Now he's on the receiving end.

Edgeworth is, at heart, a good person. I remember distinctly when I played this game, once it becomes transparently clear that the one lady was guilty in the last case, he actually joins Phoenix in trying to prove her guilt, even though she was his client.

He does actually care about justice but Sith Lord Von Karma took him to the Dark Side.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Air is lava! posted:

The anime made the door solid with no windows to avoid that issue.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 4 - Turnabout Goodbyes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 4

: Order! I will have order!
: ... Mr. Wright has proven one thing to us quite clearly... That the murder weapon was fired twice at the time of the incident.
: However! As Mr. von Karma says, the second bullet fired was not found.
: It is highly unlikely that the police merely overlooked this second bullet.

: So, all we have is the single bullet fired. I'm afraid I have to discount the defense's claim.
: Tsk tsk tsk.... I praise the judge for his wisdom in this matter.
: (Gah! How did this happen!? I don't believe that the second bullet didn't exist! Was I wrong? Have I been wrong about this whole incident?)
: What are you doing, Nick!? Why aren't you raising an objection!?
: ... I'm sorry, Maya.
: What?
: I... It looks like I was wrong.
: Nick...?
: If the second bullet wasn't there, then all my conjectures are for nothing!
: N-no...
: But you said you'd do it, Nick! You said you'd get Edgeworth declared innocent!
: ... I'm sorry... It's just, when I saw the photograph, I thought that two shots had been fired. I was so certain of it. I thought I'd won! I thought there was another person, someone else who fired the killing shot. But now... I was wrong to think it could be that simple. This case has stood unsolved for fifteen years!
: Nick...

: Well, it seems that we have finally cleared up this incident. Only one bullet was found at the scene of the crime.
: That shot was fired by Miles Edgeworth.
: Precisely.
: I would like to ask one thing of Miles Edgeworth before passing my verdict. Have you been paying attention to the trial so far?
: Yes, Your Honor.
: Do you have any objections?
: No... No, I do not.
: So you killed your father, though that was not your intention?
: ... Yes, I did.
: ... Oh no... He's confessing... ...

: Very well. The statute of limitations on the murder of Gregory Edgeworth runs out today. Therefore, I must pronounce a verdict on the defendant today, right here...

: Right now!
: Indeed.
: Does anyone have any objections?
: (I've been here before... It's just like my first day in court... There are so many things I know I should be saying... But my mind's gone blank, I can't find the words...)

: (Every lead I thought I had has been squashed. This is really the end. Edgeworth... I'm sorry.)

What was it that I had been doing all this time?
Wasn't my whole life leading up to today?
But now that I'm here... I know I've failed.
Mia... I'm sorry.

: !!!

: Maya...?
: What?

: (What's happening to me...? I have to think...! Wait... don't think... act!)

: Your Honor!

Which drops us off at the other answer.

: Your Honor! I... I object!
: Tsk tsk tsk.

: Mr. Wright, on what grounds do you object, hmm?
: Oof!
: Nick...?
: (I... I don't know! His case is perfect!)
: Oh no...
: Grah!

: !!!

: What did you just say?
: N-nothing!
: (The second bullet must exist?)
: (But where!?)

: ...
: It seems waiting is not going to produce us any answers from Mr. Wright.

: Wait, Your Honor!
: Hmm?
: I, uh...
: Th-the second bullet! It, uh, it exists!
: What!?
: But we've just heard proof that it did not exist!
: I-I realize that, Your Honor. (I'm really grasping here!)

: I-it's just, someone took it from the scene of the crime! That's what happened!
: But... Who!?
: Th-th-the murderer!

: The murderer? Then tell us, just who is this "murderer"?
: I'm... still thinking about that one.
: Hmm...
: So the criminal took the second bullet? Why would he?
: Huh?
: First of all, how would he have found it?
: It's not easy to find a stray bullet, Mr. Wright!

: O-of course there was a need. That's why he took it!
: Bah! What possible reason could he have had!?
: W-well...

: Er... Maybe he thought that the bullet would be used as proof?
: Proof...?
: It was a special bullet, so he took it with him...

Or...

: Uh... Well, the murderer was a very cautious sort, you see. That's why the murderer had to search for that bullet...

Convergence.

: If that was the case, then he would have taken the bullet from inside Gregory as well!
: Why would he only take one of the two shots fired!?
: Oh, right.
: Mr. Wright? Have you really thought this through?

: (Argh... This isn't going so well.)

So if neither option is correct there, what is?

: (Why would the murderer have spent the time to look for that stray bullet...?)
: (I haven't got a clue!)
: What's wrong, Mr. Wright?
: Uh... Um...
: Bah! The murderer had no reason to take that bullet!
: You don't want to admit it, but it's true!
: Urk...

: (Had to take it...? The murderer? What does that mean?)

: Y-yes, Your Honor! (I have no idea what I'm doing...) U-uh, well, the murderer had no intention of taking the bullet from the scene.
: But... uh, the murderer HAD to take that bullet.
: "Had to," Mr. Wright? What do you mean?
: Well, for instance... (For instance WHAT!?) Uh, maybe the bullet, uh... hit the murderer?
: The bullet... hit the murderer?
: J-just saying, for instance.
: I mean, if it hit you, you would have to take it with you, wouldn't you? It's not like you could perform surgery right there.
: Y-y'know?

: (Wait a second... I was just talking off the top of my head, but what if that's really what happened?)
: Let me just get this straight. So at the time of the murder, the murderer himself was shot?
: And he left with the second bullet still inside!? Thus leaving only one bullet at the scene of the crime?
: Uh, yes... I guess that's how it would work, yes.
: But there's a problem with that! The other two people rescued from that elevator... Miles Edgeworth and Yanni Yogi were both unharmed!
: So that would mean...
: The murderer came from outside, yes.

The pistol discharges, and the bullet...

: Mr. Wright. You are truly the most unpredictable defense attorney I've ever known.
: I can tell you're grasping, yet I cannot deny the possibility of what you say.

: What are you saying! Deny it! Deny it! No one involved with the incident was wounded! There was no "murderer"!
: Hmm...
: (No one was wounded at the time of the incident...)
: (He's right. I can't think of anyone...)
: Hey, Nick.
: I just thought of something really crazy.
: Crazy?
: Remember what Mr. Grossberg said yesterday?

: Wow.
: It must have been quite a shock for von Karma. He took a vacation for several months after that, you see. Yes, an unusual event for the man. That was the first, and the last vacation he's taken in his many years of prosecuting.

: But took it because he was injured!

: Which would mean...
: It could only mean one thing!
: He was the murderer in the DL-6 Incident!
: He was the man who shot Gregory Edgeworth!
: It was... von Karma!
: (Oh man!)
: Something wrong, Mr. Wright? You seem... dazed.
: Uh, n-no, Your Honor.
: Well? You have indicated the possibility that the murderer came from outside. Can you give us the name of your suspect?

: (Wait... I don't have enough proof yet. This is my trump card, I'd better save it for the right time.)
: Mr. Wright? Something the matter?
: I-I'm fine, Your Honor.
: Tsk tsk tsk... Shall we carry on with the trial then, hmm?

: That said, we have no farther to go. All that is left... is the finish. In other words... the verdict!
: Wh-what! Not yet!
: Think, Mr. Wright. You have said that someone from the "outside" was the murderer.
: Yet you cannot suggest anyone as a possible suspect! Which means your conjecture... is worthless.
: And will be rejected. Of course.
: Nick!
: Now's no time to be holding on to that trump card!
: The trial's almost over!
: A-alright! I may not know what I'm doing... but here goes!

And we're left with the right option.

: Your Honor!
: There is a suspect... one lone suspect!
: ...
: Well, this is certainly interesting news. Very well, Mr. Wright.
: Who is your suspect?
: V-V-V...
: (Urk! My h-hands are shaking!)
: V-what?

: von Karma!?

: You mean, THE von Karma? The prosecutor? Sitting right there?
: Bah.
: You... don't object?
: Hmph. I see no need.
: Why honor this ridiculous outburst with my objection?

: Because you took a vacation for several months starting the day after the incident! Yet you pride yourself on a perfect record!
: Why would you take such a long vacation without any reason!?
: So you're claiming that I took a vacation to heal my "injury" from the incident? Fascinating!
: Prove it. I would have needed surgery, no? Where did I go under the knife at, Mr. Wright!?

: Bring the doctor that operated on me! Have him testify!
: Urk...
: Nick! Let's find out who his doctor is!
: It's no use.
: E-Edgeworth!?
: I know von Karma. Perhaps too well.
: He's perfect. He wouldn't leave clues. He probably didn't undergo surgery.
: That would leave a doctor as a witness.
: (Grr... Nobody's that perfect!)
: So... so what, Nick?
: Did von Karma pull the bullet out by himself!?
: That's insane!
: No... he couldn't have. You can't just pull bullets out of yourself! ...
: (Wait... What does that mean...?)

Next time: What that means.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 17, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is slander Wright and I will not stand for it. You can't just go around accusing powerful and respected men of murder.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mors Rattus posted:

: Bring the doctor that operated on me! Have him testify!

It's time to bring the parrot back on stand!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

This is hilariously accurate for this whole series.

Mors Rattus posted:

: So you killed your father, though that was not our intention?

Typo.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh poo poo, the judge is conspiring with the parrot to frame Edgeworth! :tinfoil:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...Wait... poo poo!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
If the game is going where it seems to be going with this, von Karma's vengeance went from petty to petty and legendary and so God-Damned Crazy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I was going to make a joke about bringing in a metal detector, but then I remembered Gumshoe actually has one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fixed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm a bit confused right now. Was the whole "Murder Edgeworth and blame it on his son 15 years later" a spur of the moment plan? Von Karma doesn't really seem like the spontaneous type. On the other hand, as far as I remember, it relied on a earthquake. Did he cause an earthquake? :tinfoil:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

And somehow, Manfred isn't the most petty person in all of Ace Attorney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

I was going to make a joke about bringing in a metal detector, but then I remembered Gumshoe actually has one.

...No, I'm pretty sure Gumshoe does not have a metal detector.

• Locked thread