Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Solumin posted:

The game has a mod manager built-in now, and your can access it outside the game at mods.factorio.com.

As for most have mods... A blueprint manager is nice. Most of GotLag's mods are great additions. But I can't think of anything that's truly "must have." RSO is a fun challenge though.

Perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I installed this mod to improve radars but it turns out it does it in kind of a silly way so I want to get rid of it. I'm not sure if it's because of the way it's doing scanning or just the shear power of it or what, but every radar "ticks" at the same instant and it freezes the game for a brief moment. And since it takes about 10 seconds for each tick of the radar, that's a lot of brief freezes. What it does is find every "radar" entity you've placed and replaces it with a big brother radar, and every time you place a radar it replaces the entity with a big brother radar. If I just remove the mod all my radars get removed, and I'd rather not go back and place hundreds of radars.

So I'm not really sure how to go about this. I think I know the entity name, but I'm not sure. Can I "modify" the mod to just be a migration back to regular radars then delete it? Is there a LUA command I can run to replace them all? This is the mod in question: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Afforess/Big_Brother

E: Found this that could in theory do what I want, but LUA has changed slightly so it doesn't work as written
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23385

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 16, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
code:
local original = "big-gay-als-big-gay-radar"
local replacement = "radar"
for _,surface in pairs(game.surfaces) do
  local entities = surface.find_entities_filtered{name=original}
  for _,entity in pairs(entities) do
    surface.create_entity{name=replacement, position=entity.position, force=entity.force, fast_replace=true, player=entity.last_user, direction=entity.direction}
    entity.destroy()
  end
end
This bit is more generic and doesn't apply to radars, but may be useful for other replacements:
code:
fast_replace=true, player=entity.last_user, direction=entity.direction

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Hehe, it sounds like it was aptly named. Big brother is watching and will continue to watch. No replacing these citizen!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Praise GotLag!

Now I get to play around with a mod that takes advantage of the ability to put equipment in vehicles to introduce electric cards, tanks, and trains.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

FISHMANPET posted:

Praise GotLag!

Now I get to play around with a mod that takes advantage of the ability to put equipment in vehicles to introduce electric cards, tanks, and trains.

Definitely already a thing. Documentation isn't clear at a glance - you also need to have the helper mod installed. Same person who made Wireless Charging, which works with it (and has its own helper mod.

EDIT: I haven't rolled over all of my trains to this system but I will be soon, I think. I did build one of the engines as a test and it definitely accelerates faster (they also reverse at full speed because that's how electric trains work in real life, I guess?)

Ignoranus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 17, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. I dug through the forum thread and a lot of the core mechanics are getting in the way of what the mod is trying to do. For example, trains at full speed still consume max power, not just whatever portion is needed to maintain speed.

I also have a mod that gives Tier 3 armor and modules, so I loaded a train up with 3 MW fusion generator and 3 super exoskeletons. The exos don't increase the max speed, but they do increase the acceleration, so I just shoot out of the station.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

FISHMANPET posted:

I also have a mod that gives Tier 3 armor and modules, so I loaded a train up with 3 MW fusion generator and 3 super exoskeletons. The exos don't increase the max speed, but they do increase the acceleration, so I just shoot out of the station.

Well, I know what I'm doing when I et home.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Power and Armor is the mod I'm using but it hasn't been updated for .14 so I had to manually make some changes to it.

Also I'm really wondering if I want to get into putting things like roboports or lasers inside vehicles. Are there any mods that add modules to wagons?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

Power and Armor is the mod I'm using but it hasn't been updated for .14 so I had to manually make some changes to it.

Also I'm really wondering if I want to get into putting things like roboports or lasers inside vehicles. Are there any mods that add modules to wagons?

We have the electric stuff in the DyTech save we're doing but not up to using it yet. Bobs author has said he's working on special train equipment but not released it yet.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Check out what I found!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well, I broke down and ordered another 8GB of memory for my laptop, since my current game takes up 5GB when it runs and maxes out my system memory.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

FISHMANPET posted:

Well, I broke down and ordered another 8GB of memory for my laptop, since my current game takes up 5GB when it runs and maxes out my system memory.

I've been looking at computer upgrades myself - not just for this, but because my PC has 6GB of RAM and the motherboard is old enough that I can't get any more of it anymore anyway :negative:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

I've never been fond of gaming on a laptop myself but at least you have the option. Some laptops are almost impossible to update. At least technology change has plateaued a bit this last decade and a 5 or 6 year old machine isn't as utterly obsolete as it would have been 20 years ago. Erm, if you get what I mean. My desktop was bleeding edge -1 in 2011 and it's still pretty good today.

Though how windows 10 uses 30% of 16GB with only a browser running I don't know.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ratzap posted:

I've never been fond of gaming on a laptop myself but at least you have the option. Some laptops are almost impossible to update. At least technology change has plateaued a bit this last decade and a 5 or 6 year old machine isn't as utterly obsolete as it would have been 20 years ago. Erm, if you get what I mean. My desktop was bleeding edge -1 in 2011 and it's still pretty good today.

Though how windows 10 uses 30% of 16GB with only a browser running I don't know.

Do you run chrome? And a lot of tabs? Each chrome tab is technically a whole separate process as far as windows is concerned, so many many tabs opened means lots of ram eaten.

Also windows 10.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I launched a rocket and I'm very happy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Are you looking at used memory or committed memory? Used memory includes things Windows keeps cached because it thinks you might want to use it soon.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Well gently caress... my main game was saving to autosave slots. Not a big deal, until I went and joined a bunch of MP servers over the past few days. My autosaves have all been overwritten and now my main save file is like 4 hours behind. I've gotta re-do a bunch of work. Fuuuuuck

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DelphiAegis posted:

Do you run chrome? And a lot of tabs? Each chrome tab is technically a whole separate process as far as windows is concerned, so many many tabs opened means lots of ram eaten.

Also windows 10.

Hey it was a free upgrade though I was sorely tempted to stay on 7. Firefox is my biggest user at ~1GB, half a dozen windows and dozens of tabs. Still, not 30% of 16GB though.

KillHour posted:

Are you looking at used memory or committed memory? Used memory includes things Windows keeps cached because it thinks you might want to use it soon.

It's just the memory column of task manager. It simply says Memory - 30%. Used is 4GB - which is 25%, committed is 6 ish so that's more likely what it's showing.

Loopoo posted:

Well gently caress... my main game was saving to autosave slots. Not a big deal, until I went and joined a bunch of MP servers over the past few days. My autosaves have all been overwritten and now my main save file is like 4 hours behind. I've gotta re-do a bunch of work. Fuuuuuck

Silly boy (or other pronoun of choice) - always save into a proper file.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Is there any way to auto-launch a rocket when it's done building?

I didn't like my green circuits anyway.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

New factory is up and running, really really pleased with how it's turning out. I've got a main 4-tile wide concrete road, and to the top of this road I have all the assembly lines that make items I use that neatly get dropped in chests bordering the road. To the bottom of the road, I've got all my main bus belts carrying iron, copper, steel, gears, electronic circuits and stone. I'll also have pipelines for all oil products to get piped along beside the other resources. Only assembly lines I have to the bottom of the road are for electronic circuits and gears.

It's all so neat, organized and categorized. I can just run along the road and pick up whatever items I need quickly and efficiently.

I've got two main huge smelting areas for iron and copper respectively. I've gotta figure out where to put my stone smelting area. I've also got a preliminary small steel smelting area that I will decide later what to do with: either expand it or move it entirely to a different location.

My end-goal is to tear down my old base (it's no longer producing stuff anymore as it no longer receives copper or iron ore) and expand my central rail station sideways to allow more goods to be shipped in. I'll also have another station on the opposite end of my main base that will ship goods out (mainly ammo for my far-reaching outposts, I know I could use laser turrets instead of gun turrets, but I like the logistics of shipping ammo out to keep them supplied).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

Is there any way to auto-launch a rocket when it's done building?

I didn't like my green circuits anyway.

Not in the stock game but there's a mod for that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ratzap posted:

Not in the stock game but there's a mod for that.

It's probably for the better that I leave that turned off, because I need a break from running out of iron/copper/oil so I could actually build the stuff I want to build.

Though it is pretty amusing to set up some iron, say "that'll last me for a good long while", find out I'm out of copper, set up copper, then find out my iron's already mined out. I'm using RSO, so hopefully that gets a bit better as time goes on. I have a whole bunch of things I want to build just for the sake of building but haven't had the chance too because I'm too busy putting up new mining outposts.

factorio.txt

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone got suggestions on how to fix belt saturation? I've got 5 separate refineries smelting iron ore into metal plates, and I use a 5:2 belt rebalancer. I was hoping that the 5 refineries would be enough to keep the two belts fully saturated all the time, but this isn't the case. Metal plates aren't coming down the belt fast enough to feed my gear assembly line.

I really don't want to redesign my bus system to accommodate 4 metal plate conveyors, as it'd require me reworking all the other buses as well. So what can I do to really push and force the metal plate down the belts? I haven't got blue belts yet. I'm 18 hours into my god drat game and haven't set up oil yet because I want it all perfect... I'm just about to set up oil now and first thing I'll do is unlock advanced oil processing and blue belts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Loopoo posted:

Anyone got suggestions on how to fix belt saturation? I've got 5 separate refineries smelting iron ore into metal plates, and I use a 5:2 belt rebalancer. I was hoping that the 5 refineries would be enough to keep the two belts fully saturated all the time, but this isn't the case. Metal plates aren't coming down the belt fast enough to feed my gear assembly line.

I really don't want to redesign my bus system to accommodate 4 metal plate conveyors, as it'd require me reworking all the other buses as well. So what can I do to really push and force the metal plate down the belts? I haven't got blue belts yet. I'm 18 hours into my god drat game and haven't set up oil yet because I want it all perfect... I'm just about to set up oil now and first thing I'll do is unlock advanced oil processing and blue belts.

What are you trying to fix? If you don't have smelting capacity to saturate two full belts, you really just need to add more smelting capacity, there's no magic loving around with belts you can do to get more iron plates.

Remember that for one saturated belt of gears you need two saturated belts of iron.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think he means they're saturated at the start and run out by the time they get to gears.

Belts only have so much throughout. Maybe do underground weaving with yellow and red?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jabor posted:

What are you trying to fix? If you don't have smelting capacity to saturate two full belts, you really just need to add more smelting capacity, there's no magic loving around with belts you can do to get more iron plates.

Remember that for one saturated belt of gears you need two saturated belts of iron.

And to add to this, if your belts are fully saturated coming out of the smelters but you're not getting enough iron down the line, then there's nothing you can do except add more belts to your bus (or get faster belts (or don't used your bussed iron for gears I guess that would work))

Personally when I plan my bus ahead of time I just automatically set aside space for 4 iron and 4 copper. You won't need nearly that much for a long time but it saves a lot of pain later on (in my current game, that's still not enough :suicide:)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 18, 2016

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Faster belts just give you more throughput, you'll need more smelters to make use of that as well.

As usual, the solution to every problem is "more"

e:

KillHour posted:

I think he means they're saturated at the start and run out by the time they get to gears.

Belts only have so much throughout. Maybe do underground weaving with yellow and red?

You can also have a 3rd belt running independent of the bus, and cut it in halfway through. It's not pretty but it works.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Renegret posted:

Faster belts just give you more throughput, you'll need more smelters to make use of that as well.

As usual, the solution to every problem is "more"

e:

You can also have a 3rd belt running independent of the bus, and cut it in halfway through. It's not pretty but it works.
Express lanes are the easiest solution to scale without the planning dedication of 3+ belt width buses so it's the prettiest solution to me. Instead of slamming a 5 wide smelting setup into two belts, slam 3 in to the rebalancer at the throat, slam the 4th into a rebalancer where it starts looking thin, and the 5th again wherever it looks thin. Or even more fiddly and start with the two and cut in the remaining three where they are needed.

I can only imagine the majesty of a factory that can't make blue science but can suck down 2 red belts of iron plate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Loopoo posted:

Anyone got suggestions on how to fix belt saturation?

Stop using busses. General busses are bad. Now, the bus layout is fine for organization, that's just a mechanic of how underground belts work more than anything. But you should only ever be balancing at the end of smelting. Here's why: let's say you need to route materials to belt production, which you expect to be continuous. You happen to calculate out that your production goal happens to need exactly one red belt of gears at full saturation! How convienient... So now you that you build an area that feeds it gears, which now requires two full saturation red belts iron plate. If you were bussing plate then your bus would go from four to two lanes right there, because if you have a balanced plate input to your bus then drawing off two lanes won't have any effect on the other two. If you kept trying to balance it as you go you just strangle everyone's plate. You should instead be dropping four lanes of plate into your supply level once you've used the four that you started with, but again, don't balance there, balance at the start.

So, really what you're doing is you're rate limiting at the start. Rather then trying some balancer insanity later which doesn't help.

Classic cusses are good for when you have limited manufacturing of specialized goods. For example I have an auto FARL station such that when I'm done with it, I hop out and tell it to go back to its home, where it is automatically emptied of wood and stone and refilled with equipment. This equipment is part of my bussed input, because no good will ever take a ceaseless stream of material. Large electric poles, rail signals, lights and all only ever burst produce. In that same system I have a set up that produces locomotives and wagons, but I've deliberately limited it to one yellow belt of input so that while it does operate "continuously" it never pulls to many materials.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Belt based push production control is probably slightly more fiddly than a lot of people are going to go for. But its an important point that one should be thinking about production control at some point. The only constant draws are research and rocket parts and everything else needs controlled. The most common and completely compatible with dumb buses is just chest slot restrictions for finished goods.

It gets murkier if you are trying to start a gear bus lane. If you ask me you probably shouldn't have a gear bus lane until you are choked on iron plates on blue belts. Gear wheels will just suck down iron, and if they dump into a bus your production control is pushing into the bus, which is probably too many gear wheels if you aren't trying to purposefully transport iron in a compact fashion. Making them in situ forces them to a fairly tight pull production control, in that they only make new ones when the old ones are immediately used, and at any moment your gear wheel production is controlled by finished products making into slot restricted chests. The control is important because as I see it, the only continuous draw on gear wheels is red science.

In the end every factory is a personal sperg palace to do what you want with, but if we're going to get judgemental about throughputs, as a reality check my last rocket launch was with one red belt of iron plate and 2 red belts of copper plate.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Seems like the general consensus is: don't mass produce gears to put on a bus, and also to increase bus size from 2 belts to 4.

On the topic of belts, in MP games I've noticed a lot of people attach belts to the logistics network? What exactly does this do, and how does it work? Does the belt turn off if too many plates are on the belt or?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

zedprime posted:

In the end every factory is a personal sperg palace to do what you want with, but if we're going to get judgemental about throughputs, as a reality check my last rocket launch was with one red belt of iron plate and 2 red belts of copper plate.

build...less?

I don't understand

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Seems like the general consensus is: don't mass produce gears to put on a bus, and also to increase bus size from 2 belts to 4.

On the topic of belts, in MP games I've noticed a lot of people attach belts to the logistics network? What exactly does this do, and how does it work? Does the belt turn off if too many plates are on the belt or?

This is something I picked up recently from watching those huge Arumba multiplayer sessions - I actually had no idea you could hook them up to anything before that. Doing it does let you turn off the belts under certain conditions, and if you use wires (so the circuit networks instead of logistics network) you can use it as a sensor to read what's on that spot in the belt. Depending on how much you want to mess with the logic, you can use it to control how things flow on the belts.

As an example, I've lately been cribbing a style Arumba / Steejo have been using on youtube, which lets you force your belts to completely fill spurs off your main bus before letting resources move on. It's particularly helpful for forcing resources to flow to really high priority and resource intensive things.

Without the circuits, you end up using something like the splitter setup below to send a spur off a 4 lane bus without unbalancing the bus:

This works fine, especially on a small spur like that that's just feeding something that doesn't run all the time. However, it can be sub-optimal on bigger, high priority spurs. One issue is that it splits the flow of iron both down the spur and down the bus, and they flow at the same time, so the spur is actually only getting 1/2 belt of iron until the rest of the bus backs up. With something like green circuits at the top of my bus, I actually want to prioritize those above everything eating iron further down - I want the circuits to get the full belt first, and then only allow resources to flow onward if their iron needs are met.

With the circuits, you can use something like this instead:

Where each belt in front of a splitter is hooked up to the one beside it with a red or green wire. Each A belt is set like this:

Each B belt is set like this:

What this does is the A belt just constantly reads the number of items on the belt and sends that as a constant signal to the B belt next to it. Each B belt is set to run only when the number of items on the linked A belt is >5 (since each belt square holds 6 items siting still). The green asterisk is the circuit signal for "anything," so you can have mixed belts or paste this setup down on different belts regardless of whether it's moving iron or copper or whatever. As a result, the B belts only move when everything coming off the A belts are full.

Edit: Fixed broken image links

Talky fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 18, 2016

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Well gently caress, guess I have a whole heap of new optimization poo poo to work on.

Guess I'm starting over again :sigh:

:v:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Talky posted:

This is something I picked up recently from watching those huge Arumba multiplayer sessions - I actually had no idea you could hook them up to anything before that. Doing it does let you turn off the belts under certain conditions, and if you use wires (so the circuit networks instead of logistics network) you can use it as a sensor to read what's on that spot in the belt. Depending on how much you want to mess with the logic, you can use it to control how things flow on the belts.

As an example, I've lately been cribbing a style Arumba / Steejo have been using on youtube, which lets you force your belts to completely fill spurs off your main bus before letting resources move on. It's particularly helpful for forcing resources to flow to really high priority and resource intensive things.

Without the circuits, you end up using something like the splitter setup below to send a spur off a 4 lane bus without unbalancing the bus:

This works fine, especially on a small spur like that that's just feeding something that doesn't run all the time. However, it can be sub-optimal on bigger, high priority spurs. One issue is that it splits the flow of iron both down the spur and down the bus, and they flow at the same time, so the spur is actually only getting 1/2 belt of iron until the rest of the bus backs up. With something like green circuits at the top of my bus, I actually want to prioritize those above everything eating iron further down - I want the circuits to get the full belt first, and then only allow resources to flow onward if their iron needs are met.

With the circuits, you can use something like this instead:

Where each belt in front of a splitter is hooked up to the one beside it with a red or green wire. Each A belt is set like this:

Each B belt is set like this:

What this does is the A belt just constantly reads the number of items on the belt and sends that as a constant signal to the B belt next to it. Each B belt is set to run only when the number of items on the linked A belt is >5 (since each belt square holds 6 items siting still). The green asterisk is the circuit signal for "anything," so you can have mixed belts or paste this setup down on different belts regardless of whether it's moving iron or copper or whatever. As a result, the B belts only move when everything coming off the A belts are full.

Edit: Fixed broken image links

woah

this game is cool

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
son of a bitch that might be what gets me to invest in circuits after all

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are there any good mods that keep ores from running out but don't feel too cheaty? Maybe something like how oil works?

Edit:

While I'm asking questions, if I want to give Bob's mods for the first time, are there any other mods that make it more functional. I think I recall there being a huge dependency on wood, I don't know if Bobs let's you automate trees.
(Greenhouses? Is that the one?)

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 19, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Similarly, are there any mods that turn all ores into liquid?

I don't know what sort of madness makes me want an all liquid factory, but, welp, there you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are there any good mods that keep ores from running out but don't feel too cheaty? Maybe something like how oil works?

Edit:

While I'm asking questions, if I want to give Bob's mods for the first time, are there any other mods that make it more functional. I think I recall there being a huge dependency on wood, I don't know if Bobs let's you automate trees.
(Greenhouses? Is that the one?)

I really really like Angel's Infinite Ores (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Arch666Angel/angelsinfiniteores), especially when used with RSO. It's compatible with RSO, Bob's mods, and a bunch of other mods that change or add new ores as well.

It makes it so that ore deposits have two layers: an outer layer that eventually runs out like vanilla ores do, and an inner core that functions like oil (slowly declining in yield per second but never disappearing totally). I play with RSO because train :spergin:, and it makes it so that you do need to to go set up new outposts every now and then, but you always have a constant minimal flow from each new outpost you build. By default the ore deposits near your spawn won't have the oil-like inner core, but that's configurable (somewhere).

Edit: And yes, Bob's Greenhouse mod (https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Bobingabout/bobgreenhouse) is his solution for automating trees. There are other mods as well, but that's the Bob's Mods way.

Talky fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 19, 2016