Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009

hexenmexen posted:

If I believe that business interests and actually promoting growth will reduce inequality versus social welfare that is a justifiable political opinion to have.

I live in a state where they're trying to do this your way and it turns out that job growth has been pretty much the worst in the nation and literally everyone agrees it loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

hexenmexen posted:

... I don't see how voting for a third party makes someone stupid.

If I believe that business interests and actually promoting growth will reduce inequality versus social welfare that is a justifiable political opinion to have.

Hilary's proposed policies of increasing taxes and increasing entitlements I find to be the opposite of growth. In fact the main argument that I found persuasive for Trump was his proposal to reduce corporate tax to 15%.

No, see, those opinions are the ones that make us call you stupid.

So "growth" inherently reduces inequality? How does that work in relation to the Tulsa Riots, when the growth of the black middle class inspired white people to burn down of of their neighborhoods? How do you reconcile the average 4% economic growth of the 90's with the increased incarceration of African-Americans?

Also, which "entitlements" do you see needing to be reformed? You make this vague, hand-wavy idea of people on the dole - what programs are they using and how?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lord Hydronium posted:

For someone who would be the actual next president if Trump were elected, there really hasn't been nearly enough attention paid to Pence as there should be.
It's also pretty amazing that a guy who very vocally advocated for a law that would allow business owners to legally discriminate against gay people, he has been let completely off the hook on that issue. It just happened last year. I think I saw a couple of mentions of that when he was chosen as the running mate, but since then nothing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mike Pence could be a talking horse and no one would pay him any attention because of the top of the ticket.

It's kinda funny because if someone like Jeb! had actually won the nomination and picked Pence as his running mate to placate the extreme right-wing it would have developed into a severe problem for his campaign. But in the Jeb! timeline he probably has his pick of decent VPs from any wing of the party.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Eschers Basement posted:

Also, which "entitlements" do you see needing to be reformed? You make this vague, hand-wavy idea of people on the dole - what programs are they using and how?

It's Republican-speak (and I guess Libertarian-speak) for "gut welfare."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eschers Basement posted:

If it's standard Libertarian thinking in the manner of Ayn Rand, 'Entitlements' that should be cut are any that don't benefit the Libertarian personally, while any they take advantage of are just them being shrewd.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

lozzle posted:

It's Republican-speak (and I guess Libertarian-speak) for "gut welfare."

Shhhh! We're supposed to make him admit that!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Antti posted:

Mike Pence could be a talking horse and no one would pay him any attention because of the top of the ticket.

It's kinda funny because if someone like Jeb! had actually won the nomination and picked Pence as his running mate to placate the extreme right-wing it would have developed into a severe problem for his campaign. But in the Jeb! timeline he probably has his pick of decent VPs from any wing of the party.

The Jeb! VP would have been Rubio. Well, that was the plan before he landed that haymaker, anyway.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Night10194 posted:

If it's standard Libertarian thinking in the manner of Ayn Rand, 'Entitlements' that should be cut are any that don't benefit the Libertarian personally, while any they take advantage of are just them being shrewd.

Well duh, entitlements are paid for with taxes, and taxation is theft!!1! :byodood:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Night10194 posted:

As I recall, Luntz invented the term to frame any spending the Republicans don't like in a negative light.

It's literally a focus grouped buzzword.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
hexenmexen, if we're being tough on you, it's only because you're an rear end in a top hat. If you admitted you just want to keep more of your tax dollars and tell society to gently caress off, I think we agree to disagree. It's only when you try to claim that your ideas are a net social good, that somehow letting CEOs and the upper class pay lower taxes will be inherently beneficial to all, maybe especially to poor black people, that we laugh at you and tell you to gently caress off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is the NYPD gonna have a press conference or something because the news hasn't changed since basically midnight.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is the NYPD gonna have a press conference or something because the news hasn't changed since basically midnight.

Look, sometimes in NYC people put bombs in dumpsters and they explode. You just kind of roll with it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheScott2K posted:

The Jeb! VP would have been Rubio. Well, that was the plan before he landed that haymaker, anyway.

Sad part is, I think that would have been an astute choice for whoever won. I think Rubio has the makings of a competent GOP presidential nominee, he just needs more seasoning and a VP slot would be a good way to do it. Plus Hispanic and Florida points.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
hexenmexen what's it like being cryogenically frozen since the 1980's?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Sad part is, I think that would have been an astute choice for whoever won. I think Rubio has the makings of a competent GOP presidential nominee, he just needs more seasoning and a VP slot would be a good way to do it. Plus Hispanic and Florida points.

I think Rubio was trying to get into the White House before the hair loss monster caught him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Instant Sunrise posted:

hexenmexen what's it like being cryogenically frozen since the 1980's?

It probably sucks, since we haven't actually cured boneitis yet.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I live a mile or two from the mall in MN where the knife attack happened, and work about a block away from it. Didn't know anything had happened until I clocked in at work last night and found out our store had been on lockdown an hour and a half earlier.

As previously mentioned, there's a huge Somali Muslim community here. I'd guess like 1/3-1/2 of my co-workers are Somali.

If it was supposed to be a terrorist attack, I'm not feeling particularly terrified. :shrug:

sup Crossroads buddy. Mentioned the stabbings at breakfast to my parents (who live about a half hour away) and my dad immediately said: bet it was the Somalis fighting. :sigh:

(this is why I live in Boston)

hexenmexen
May 15, 2016

by exmarx

Eschers Basement posted:

hexenmexen, if we're being tough on you, it's only because you're an rear end in a top hat. If you admitted you just want to keep more of your tax dollars and tell society to gently caress off, I think we agree to disagree. It's only when you try to claim that your ideas are a net social good, that somehow letting CEOs and the upper class pay lower taxes will be inherently beneficial to all, maybe especially to poor black people, that we laugh at you and tell you to gently caress off.

Well you have to have growth alongside of enforcing equality in the workplace, and continual reform of the prison system. The prisons expanded under the previous Clinton years and I'm supposed to believe the woman who mouthed "super predators" is genuinely interested in prison reform?

The entitlements I'm talking about are Social Security and government based pensions. Taxes are essential, but they need to be spent on actual infrastructure that will increase overall prosperity. Spend it on K-12 instead of free college (and you get a degree and you get a degree).

The fact is our Corporate tax rate is higher than more socially welfare states based like Sweden and Ireland.

hexenmexen fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 18, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hexenmexen posted:

You're not a fan of Bush's policies but you want to double down on Bush's tax cuts and deregulation.

Are you even old enough to remember the Bush years.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hexenmexen posted:

Well you have to have growth alongside of enforcing equality in the workplace, and continual reform of the prison system. The prisons expanded under the previous Clinton years and I'm supposed to believe the woman who mouthed "super predators" is genuinely interested in prison reform?

You know people's opinions can change over 20-30 years right? I mean, except for yours, obviously.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

hexenmexen posted:

The entitlements I'm talking about are Social Security and government based pensions.

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

You would have a better chance of repealing the Civil Rights Act (which you fuckers actually want to do :bang:) than abolishing Social Security. It is extremely popular with both parties.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 18, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

hexenmexen posted:

The fact is our Corporate tax rate is higher than more socially welfare states based like Sweden and Ireland.

No. http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/01/news/economy/corporate-tax-rate/

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/how-scandinavian-countries-pay-their-government-spending

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

hexenmexen posted:

The entitlements I'm talking about are Social Security and government based pensions. Taxes are essential, but they need to be spent on actual infrastructure that will increase overall prosperity. Spend it on K-12 instead of free college (and you get a degree and you get a degree).

How will infrastructure increase overall prosperity? Say we expand high-speed internet to every corner of the country, fix our aging grid and water systems where they need it and expand rail and highways. How does that actually result in additional prosperity past the initial stimulus period provided by a massive government make-work program? After the infrastructure is in place how is it going to increase prosperity if there is no additional commerce? The mere existence of infrastructure doesn't mean it will be utilized and any gain brought about by government spending on the retrofits will only provide benefits for so long, as history has shown.

Also, it's hilarious you think college is anywhere near free and, seemingly, that it makes degrees useless when more people have them, as if the only value in a college degree is to get a job.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

hexenmexen posted:

I make $75,000 a year and support a family of 3 on it. My kid goes to public school, both cars are paid off, the mortgage gets paid every month, and we contribute to a 529 for our kid's college and a 401k for retirement. There is, at most, $100 left over at the end of the month, and most of our cash savings are the result of windfalls. How much more am I paying in taxes to make up for the loss of revenue from reducing the corporate tax rate, and what am I shortchanging to pay those additional taxes?

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 18, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hexenmexen posted:

Spend it on K-12 instead of free college (and you get a degree and you get a degree).

Gary Johnson wants to abolish the Department of Education

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Just go to the libertarian thread, hexenmexen. They would love to have you

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hexenmexen posted:

You know those 40,000 pages of IRS code that the GOP loves to harp on? That's all of those corporate exemptions that go to make the effective tax rate in the US actually very low. You idiot.

By the way, I find my MBA classes fascinating in that I can see why otherwise progressive people can get sucked into a bubble in large corporations through no real fault of their own. A LOT of incentives that don't necessarily hold with political ideals.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

hexenmexen posted:

Well you have to have growth alongside of enforcing equality in the workplace

And how does Gary Johnson propose to do that?

quote:

and continual reform of the prison system. The prisons expanded under the previous Clinton years and I'm supposed to believe the woman who mouthed "super predators" is genuinely interested in prison reform?

As opposed to Gary Johnson, who literally made New Mexico the most dependent state on privatized prison?

quote:

The entitlements I'm talking about are Social Security and government based pensions. Taxes are essential, but they need to be spent on actual infrastructure that will increase overall prosperity.

Hahahahaha what? "Pensions"? Thats your huge expense to be trimmed?

quote:

Spend it on K-12 instead of free college (and you get a degree and you get a degree).

So we should nationalize grammar school spending and curriculums? Hey, about your candidate....

quote:

And our income tax is much, much, much lower. Yet somehow you don't see that as a problem.

hexenmexen
May 15, 2016

by exmarx

But you still didn't address Ireland, and with a flat reform of the tax code close the loopholes and change it to territorial instead of worldwide.

lozzle posted:

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

You would have a better chance of repealing the Civil Rights Act (which you fuckers actually want to do :bang:) than abolishing Social Security. It is extremely popular with both parties.

Are you illiterate? Is that why you quote a Republican to misrepresent what I said?

KiteAuraan posted:

How will infrastructure increase overall prosperity? Say we expand high-speed internet to every corner of the country, fix our aging grid and water systems where they need it and expand rail and highways. How does that actually result in additional prosperity past the initial stimulus period provided by a massive government make-work program? After the infrastructure is in place how is it going to increase prosperity if there is no additional commerce? The mere existence of infrastructure doesn't mean it will be utilized and any gain brought about by government spending on the retrofits will only provide benefits for so long, as history has shown.

Also, it's hilarious you think college is anywhere near free and, seemingly, that it makes degrees useless when more people have them, as if the only value in a college degree is to get a job.

Improved infrastructure, and improved K-12 would incentivize employers to return to the US. Many communities particularly black ones don't have access to the developed parts of metropolitan parts of cities. This was due to local governments shutting them out. Making broad infrastructure repairs would make it more affordable for business to operate in the US.

This in combination with the reformed tax issue would bring growth to the US.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

hexenmexen posted:

Are you illiterate? Is that why you quote a Republican to misrepresent what I said?

Are you retarded? Is that why you think you can abolish a program supported by nearly 90% of Americans?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So all the NYC wounded are out of the hospital. The gov is calling it "terrorism" but not "international terrorism."

My guess is white guy.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hexenmexen posted:

But you still didn't address Ireland, and with a flat reform of the tax code close the loopholes and change it to territorial instead of worldwide.

Improved infrastructure, and improved K-12 would incentivize employers to return to the US. Many communities particularly black ones don't have access to the developed parts of metropolitan parts of cities. This was due to local governments shutting them out. Making broad infrastructure repairs would make it more affordable for business to operate in the US.

This person is allowed to vote lmao

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

hexenmexen posted:

That is HIGHLY suspect. With the modern globalized economy employers, particularly production, which is what left a lot of those communities, are going where labor is cheapest, not taxes and not where infrastructure is the best. They are almost certainly never coming back to the United States unless we accept the same unlivable low wages of the Periphery and Semi-Periphery. An increase in service industry jobs is not going to last forever, and that's likely what would see some growth. The employers who left are never coming back.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So all the NYC wounded are out of the hospital. The gov is calling it "terrorism" but not "international terrorism."

My guess is white guy.

Which means the story will be quickly buried since the Republicans can't use a racist boogeyman.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Oh nooo the United States's corporate tax rate is nominally higher than that of a corporate tax haven whose entire economy is based around letting multinational corporations headquarter there to dodge taxes in other countries.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 18, 2016

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

MizPiz posted:

That's not entirely true. US servicemen committed many war crimes during WW2, including executing POWs, committing rapes and even using it as a tactic, and taking pieces of an enemy combatant's body as a trophy. And that's not even mentioning the fact we put over 100,000 people into camps.

It may have evolved over time, but this mentality has been with us forever.

He said we didn't need to torture anyone. It wasn't official policy to torture anyone, and interrogations of high-ranking Nazis re: things like their missile programs didn't involve torture, yet they yielded a lot of valuable information.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

Oh nooo the United States's corporate tax rate is nominally higher than that of a corporate tax haven whose entire economy is based around letting multinational corporations headquarter there to dodge taxes in other countries.

To be fair, lowering effective corporate tax rates while increasing rates on upper income and disincentivizing rents as a zero-sum would be the ideal solution, but :lol: on that being a reality.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Onion is ahead of its time as always.

quote:

Precious Little Voter Needs To Feel Inspired By Candidate
March 15, 2016

CLEVELAND—Noting how important it is for him to find a campaign that stirs genuine optimism and enthusiasm in its supporters, sources confirmed Tuesday that precious little voter Adam Higgins needs to feel inspired by a candidate. “To be perfectly honest, I just can’t bring myself to vote for someone I’m not excited about,” said the delicate little flower, who simply has to experience an authentic and personal connection to a candidate and believe in his wittle-bitty heart that the candidate’s message will legitimately move the country forward in meaningful and significant ways. “Policies and experience are certainly important, but a candidate has to have a vision I truly believe in. I’m only going to cast a ballot for someone who actually provides real hope for the future of this country [because I need to feel all snuggly-wuggly and special].” Sources further confirmed the fragile, dainty buttercup feels he absolutely must vote for someone who is trustworthy and competent.

http://www.theonion.com/article/precious-little-voter-needs-feel-inspired-candidat-52566

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Boon posted:

To be fair, lowering effective corporate tax rates while increasing rates on upper income and disincentivizing rents as a zero-sum would be the ideal solution, but :lol: on that being a reality.

Yeah it's funny how people criticize the US's corporate tax rate as being higher than that of Nordic welfare states while ignoring that the Nordic states have significantly higher top marginal income tax rates, and that that's a conscious choice: they set their corporate taxes low (relative to other European countries at least) in order to attract corporations to set up in Sweden, but then set their personal income taxes high so that the jobs created by those corporate investments contribute a lot to the welfare state. It's actually a pretty clever system.

The US (and Canada) on the other hand does the opposite: high corporate taxes with lots of loopholes and low income taxes. It's almost like it's a system set up to benefit rich people who can afford good tax lawyers rather than a coherent system designed to benefit the overall welfare of society.

• Locked thread