Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with doing a deconstruction is that unless you handle it extremely well it's fairly trivial to become the thing you're deconstructing if you intend it or not. A lot of Urban Fantasy is guilty of this where it aims to subvert cliches and in doing so embraces them too regularly. To really make it work you have to end up with far more unlikable/marketable characters or being willing to break things a bit. Alex Verus has a lot of problems but I appreciate it spending the first book setting up a creepy abusive romance that was clearly supposed to be a touching generic urban fantasy one and then the second book ends with "wait, poo poo, no, that would be extremely hosed up." Unfortunately it has a lot of problems later on but I was terribly relieved when that creepy thing was strangled in the cradle.

Honestly it would be helped a lot if urban fantasy writers could do equality better rather than "We want to make this total badass confident super-woman who is emotionally vulnerable enough to fall in love with a man with the emotional maturity of a 7 year old."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

The Libriomancer series is interesting because it is actually exploring what would happen if magic, long-hidden from the muggles through some large-scale conspiracy of powerful actors, were suddenly thrust upon the world.

Libriomancy is a very powerful--ridiculously so, frankly!--form of magic, as it can literally pull anything out of any book that's been read by enough people. D&D manuals are weapons of mass destruction. Sci-fi books can give us the stars. Horrors and monstrosities can crawl out from the pages and destroy us all.

And so on. The series gets really interesting once it starts exploring the ramifications of that.

I only read the first book, but I didn't really care for the magic because it seemed to be very much 'you can and can't do whatever the author wants'

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I only read the first book, but I didn't really care for the magic because it seemed to be very much 'you can and can't do whatever the author wants'

The later books even deal with that too, to some point. Most of those limits are being artificially enforced by the boss guy, and many do get broken later on.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

WarLocke posted:

I want to say he third book brought it up in the text. I'm fairly sure I remember what's her name saying that she wanted to try projecting her e-reader onto a theater screen so she could pull out a spaceship to go to/colonize Mars with.

The last book I read had an in-universe press release that essentially said "Ok Muggles, you don't like us being here, gently caress ya'll. We're going to pull out space exploration technology and go colonize Mars. You can join us when you grow the gently caress up. In the meantime, we'll keep some ambassadors/enforcers around to keep the peace and train libriomancers as they pop up/defend Earth from threats."

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
What was the series with the elementalists and their genies?

Because that one got hit hard by Bad Romance.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tunicate posted:

There's an in-universe explanation for that! It's touched on in the first book and (are you sensing a trend yet?) attacked pretty hard in the second.

By the third book the author has flat out owned every single common complaint I've heard. In many cases, he's turned it into a strength.

Book three ends with Issac telling the world to gently caress off, and if they don't like it, they can come knock on his door on goddamned Mars.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Weather warden series, I think...

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it would be helped a lot if urban fantasy writers could do equality better rather than "We want to make this total badass confident super-woman who is emotionally vulnerable enough to fall in love with a man with the emotional maturity of a 7 year old."

The blurred lines between Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance probably cause more of this than anything else. Thinking up reasons for people to conflict and bond in spite of it is hard. Just have them meet and instantly realize they're fated to be together. Throw in a love triangle and/or a villainous cock blocker and you've got your book.

I blame Anita Blake and Twilight for a little of both.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

There's an in-universe explanation for that! It's touched on in the first book and (are you sensing a trend yet?) attacked pretty hard in the second.

I know the in universe explanation, but it still feels like lazy writing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Codex Alera?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God drat was Codex Alrea's romance almost universally terrible.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Codex Alera's romance wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either - in fact I had to wikipedia the series to even remember it. Man, I've read some bad urban fantasy "romances" and that poo poo ain't even close.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The blurred lines between Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance probably cause more of this than anything else.

Reminds me of the time I was in a book store and grabbed this one because the latest Dresden book was still not out.

Yeah, Gena Showalter doesn't write Urban Fantasy... :gay:

(Bonus: The love interest in that book is a were-jaguar :eyepoop:)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wizchine posted:

Codex Alera's romance wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either - in fact I had to wikipedia the series to even remember it. Man, I've read some bad urban fantasy "romances" and that poo poo ain't even close.

If you managed to block the goddamn Earth Pokemon making people horny thing out of your memory than more power to you.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

If you managed to block the goddamn Earth Pokemon making people horny thing out of your memory than more power to you.

That wasn't really part of any of the romances though?

Like that was a weird detail, but it didn't really play into any of them and mostly seemed to be a 'clever' way to foreshadow Tavi's strategy at the end of the book.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zore posted:

That wasn't really part of any of the romances though?.

It was explicitly part of Amara and Bernard's romance. Like basically as soon as they meet they're gettin' horny because of the Earth Furies.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I can not think of a single urban fantasy or fantasy book where I wasn't left cringing and desperately wishing that the author hadn't gone down that particular path.

New Authors tend to fair poorly.

I think Michelle Sagara West does the best with it from the word go in her books. Seanan doesn't do so badly these days but the first toby daye was rough.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
When the heck does Peace Talks come out? I need me some more Harry Dresden in my life.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Sex Cannon posted:

When the heck does Peace Talks come out? I need me some more Harry Dresden in my life.

We're on GRRM time now, so maybe...a while

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Sex Cannon posted:

When the leaders of the Middle East settle down for peace negotiations in real life.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I know it's Amazon and therefore subject to speculation, but last I saw it was slated for Feb '17. But that's just the best guess, really. And if Jim's really stuck it might be longer.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Vicissitude posted:

I know it's Amazon and therefore subject to speculation, but last I saw it was slated for Feb '17. But that's just the best guess, really. And if Jim's really stuck it might be longer.

I wish Amazon would--rather than put a "to be released on:" note on unknown dates--instead put a realistic "available no sooner than:" note, instead; using knowledge of the editing, typesetting, printing and binding industries to make the guess. Like, assuming Jim turned in a completed manuscript right-now-today, how soon could it be out? That would serve their customers better, IMO.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

newts posted:

Weather warden series, I think...

Oh yeah, that was it. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad romance.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I read two of those I think, the weather genies. The idea was really cool and the romance was really... harlequinn? I dunno, I feel like saying it was bad doesn't really work because it was following another genre's general tropes. Where when urban fantasy romance is bad it's usually bad for different reasons.

I may be an outlier in this thread since I like reading schlocky romance here and there and I like having relationship arcs in my books. If it gets in the way of the plot that's bad but I want my protagonists to have a love interest, it's more fun.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2016/09/the-hanging-tree-announcement/

quote:

Gollancz is delighted to announce the publication of THE HANGING TREE, the sixth book in Ben Aaronovitch’s bestselling Peter Grant series, on November 3rd 2016.

Now please stop whining about it :).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Wasn't there a set of short stories or something or am I remembering wrong?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

mistaya posted:

I may be an outlier in this thread since I like reading schlocky romance here and there and I like having relationship arcs in my books. If it gets in the way of the plot that's bad but I want my protagonists to have a love interest, it's more fun.

I don't mind it, and can even enjoy it, so long as it makes sense. It is just annoying when two people are in love for no reason other than the fact that they're the main characters of a story. I could pick at the relationships in Dresden, but they're miles ahead of the crap I normally gloss over in genre fiction.

I hope Brief Cases has a side story where Charity and Michael smite something together.

Slanderer posted:

We're on GRRM time now, so maybe...a while

That made me look up when Skin Games came out and now I am sad.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That made me look up when Skin Games came out and now I am sad.
Oh, it wasn't that long -- almost two and a half years? :stare:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Pretty much. I'll probably all caught up on all the thread recommendations ( Rivers of London, etc ), by the time Peace Talks comes out. :sigh:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Based on the way Jim was talking at DragonCon, it seems more like we'll get the next short story collection before Peace Talks.

Also shout out to the people that told me I was wrong over the last few years when I said a book a year was the best we could hope for :v:.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
So if there are 8 more books and it takes 3 years in between each book....we'll finish sometime in 2040....gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oroborus posted:

So if there are 8 more books and it takes 3 years in between each book....we'll finish sometime in 2040....gently caress.

Butcher either has to cut down his number of books or pump up his output. I'd bet on the former.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Butcher either has to cut down his number of books or pump up his output. I'd bet on the former.

Pretty sure he is happy to work until 65-70 and is more than satisfied to string his fans out over that length of time. Fortunately the Aeronaut's Windlass is quality, so he's not wasting his time with his spacing stuff.

Urthor fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 18, 2016

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I recently read The Root by Na'amen Gobert Tilahun.

Blurb posted:

A dark, gritty urban fantasy debut set in modern-day San Francisco, filled with gods, sinister government agencies, and worlds of dark magic hidden just below the surface.

When a secret government agency trying to enslave you isn’t the biggest problem you’re facing, you’re in trouble.

Erik, a former teen star living in San Francisco, thought his life was complicated; having his ex-boyfriend in jail because of the scandal that destroyed his career seemed overwhelming. Then Erik learned he was Blooded: descended from the Gods.

Struggling with a power he doesn’t understand and can barely control, Erik discovers that a secret government agency is selling off Blooded like lab rats to a rival branch of preternatural beings in ’Zebub—San Francisco’s mirror city in an alternate dimension.

Lil, a timid apprentice in ’Zebub, is searching for answers to her parents’ sudden and mysterious deaths. Surrounded by those who wish her harm and view her as a lesser being, Lil delves into a forgotten history that those in power will go to dangerous lengths to keep buried.

What neither Erik nor Lil realize is that a darkness is coming, something none have faced in living memory. It eats. It hunts. And it knows them. In The Root, the dark and surging urban fantasy debut from Na’amen Tilahun, two worlds must come together if even a remnant of one is to survive.

I enjoyed it, I thought it was going to be about fae originally with the whole two parallel worlds shtick. I'm glad it was angelics instead, especially with the variety of forms, one angelic was definitely an ophanim. I mean we have one of the traditional UF starts with new guy Erik discovering he has powers because he is a descendant of a god, with him learning about the secret world/organisation fight the angelics, although it isn't as clear cut as that with the government themselves involved, the rogue organisation agent and the mentioned darkness. Lil's parts of the story I enjoyed a tiny bit more if only so far it takes place in the alternate world so the set up/world building I found more interesting. It also features a diverse cast with both the main viewpoint characters being black and Erik being gay.

I did think that there sometimes it did need more show and less tell in some parts and I do hope that one of the characters doesn't become as overpowered as they seem to be.
Overall I enjoyed it and will pick up the next book in the trilogy when it comes out.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Book 5 of Alcatraz vs the evil librarians by Sanderson just came out so I picked up the first 4 ebooks for 2.99 each and reas through them all. Its marketed towards younger kids - like pre / early teens but I still enjoyed it. I would probably describe it as Sanderson tries to write Harry Potter in discworld set in America. Worth a read if you're in the mood for something easy and fun.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
So the thread was recommending Mercy Thompson/Patricia Briggs. I'm like 120 pages into the first book.

The prose is fine, but so far it's been wall-to-wall alpha dominant werewolf werewolf alpha werewolf dominant alpha alpha. Please tell me it gets better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Scorchy posted:

So the thread was recommending Mercy Thompson/Patricia Briggs. I'm like 120 pages into the first book.

The prose is fine, but so far it's been wall-to-wall alpha dominant werewolf werewolf alpha werewolf dominant alpha alpha. Please tell me it gets better.

Werewolf politics are pretty central to the series, so it is laid on a little thick in the 1st book.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Scorchy posted:

If you want less alpha poo poo relationship stuff the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews is better - I mean, it's still there, but its' a lot better. I think Andrews wrote the better series, even.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Scorchy posted:

It gets less werewolf-centric as it goes along, but they're the core group of beings Mercy associates with. I think the world Briggs builds is very compelling, and the slant on the supernatural critters is often refreshing.

Note that I accidentally started the series with the second book, before going back and reading the first. (I never noticed I was "missing" the first book, by the way,which is always the mark of a good writer.) The second book is focused on vampires and is a good read, iirc. Gut out book one, and if you don't like book two, then bail out I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Okay well sounds like I should truck on till the second book.