Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's actually quite illegal for an American corporation to send a private army into combat in another country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Also Ultron was totally, entirely their fault

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also watched this evening the first time. Avengers taking the blame for stopping outside forces is a loving stupid premise that ruins the movie going forward.

I thought Rhoadie had an unrealistic opinion of the power and authority of the United Nations, especially for a military man.

"This is the UNITED NATIONS, Steve. 119 nations have ratified this."

Steve should have literally wiped his enhanced rear end with it and said, "What are they going to do about that? That's right, nothing."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GORDON posted:

I thought Rhoadie had an unrealistic opinion of the power and authority of the United Nations, especially for a military man.

"This is the UNITED NATIONS, Steve. 119 nations have ratified this."

Steve should have literally wiped his enhanced rear end with it and said, "What are they going to do about that? That's right, nothing."

Don Cheadle was also in Hotel Rwanda. I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

In a universe with superheroes and various cosmic entities I find it interesting that the thing some people find hardest to believe is that the UN in this world might actually have some power.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ashpanash posted:

In a universe with superheroes and various cosmic entities I find it interesting that the thing some people find hardest to believe is that the UN in this world might actually have some power.

The MCU is specifically made to be "exactly like our world, but with first contact from Super Heroes" over and over again.

It's how the US government was infested with Nazis in Cap 2 yet nothing about society changes in subsequent movies after that discovery.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

computer parts posted:

The MCU is specifically made to be "exactly like our world, but with first contact from Super Heroes" over and over again.

That's the most comically absurd interpretation of the MCU I've ever read. So congrats.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ashpanash posted:

That's the most comically absurd interpretation of the MCU I've ever read. So congrats.

It's how the US government was infested with Nazis in Cap 2 yet nothing about society changes in subsequent movies after that discovery.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Except, I don't know, giant helicarriers and a huge organization called SHIELD with near unlimited global power and the authorization to launch nuclear strikes?

The popular cultural references are basically the same as our world, but there are plenty of loving weird countries and organizations and technology that is just sort of accepted as being around. It's a different world with a different political structure even if they had some of the same tv shows and bands and brands of carbonated sugar water so they can sell advertising to pepsi. If your suspension of disbelief can't even go that far, I don't know what to tell you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ashpanash posted:

Except, I don't know, giant helicarriers and a huge organization called SHIELD with near unlimited global power and the authorization to launch nuclear strikes?

SHIELD is "the government" (they even say as much in Cap 2). So you're left with "the government has technology not seen in real life", which describes a large number of action movies.

If the MCU really wanted to be different they'd have more than one government official with an Iron Man suit. Since apparently they've had access to the technology for like 6 years now.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

computer parts posted:

SHIELD is "the government" (they even say as much in Cap 2). So you're left with "the government has technology not seen in real life", which describes a large number of action movies.

Which is already far from

computer parts posted:

"exactly like our world, but with first contact from Super Heroes"

Can we stop this silly argument?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ashpanash posted:

Which is already far from

No it isn't.

Like if you want to say the MCU is as outlandish as the movie Stealth, then go ahead. But that's not a high bar.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 19, 2016

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ok, whatever. Thanks for your input about my silly UN observation, it was helpful.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Eh, the movies are very clear about when they're branching away from reality to incorporate the fantastical, and the UN doesn't get that treatment. For better or worse, the movie is asking us to take its incorporation of real-world politics and political institutions as part of how it relates the concepts represented by the fantastical elements to the real world.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ashpanash posted:

It's not that surprising: things like that really are the most remarkable things about the MCU movie series, because the "universe" is presented as very dull and non-fantastical. The Iron Man armour is in the end a combination of a fancy sports car and a drone weapon. There's nothing ambitious about GotG's sci-fi. Winter Soldier very thoroughly retcons its own plot twist/political statement that the US has been controlled by Nazis. The only outrageous things about MCU have been very direct contradictions of logic (e.g., SHIELD being non-sensical for Pentagon, infertile women being monsters, UN having power, Tibetan man being played by a white woman).

Things actually have to be presented as outlandish so that they're hard to believe, like Bat Credit Card or Jonathan Kent dying for a dog.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 19, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Basic example:

ashpanash posted:

giant helicarriers and a huge organization called SHIELD with near unlimited global power and the authorization to launch nuclear strikes

When did the general public actually learn about the giant invisible superweapon? Did people find out after Avengers? Or much later, after the events of Winter Soldier?

People apparently know about the attempted nuclear strike on Manhattan, but do they know it was launched by a shadowy group called The World Security Council? You'd think there would be some kind of investigation into this.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah SHIELD basically makes no sense in the MCU, at all.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Tibetan man being played by a white woman

It could be a magic-based post-op life choice. I think think Tilda Swinton could pull that off.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ashpanash posted:

It is pretty implausible when you think about it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Away all Goats posted:

Also Ultron was totally, entirely their Tony's fault

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
New captain strange trailer looks good 8]

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This

ashpanash posted:

Yeah SHIELD basically makes no sense in the MCU, at all.
coupled with this

ashpanash posted:

The movie is about Captain America's personal stance on something vs. Iron Man's personal stance, and it's a tragedy (in the greek sense) that they should be able to communicate but never do.

As I said before, what I really appreciated about the movie was how, against a vague backdrop of worldwide consequence, for once, the stakes weren't "Earth itself, and then the universe." The stakes were personal - Steve and Tony's souls. And they both came out scarred.

So basically I disagree that the movie was framed around a political issue. In my opinion, that was a macguffin, a plot device. The details don't matter because the focus - the story - was about these two people.
means that it may as well be

War Machine posted:

"This is the PARENT-TEACHER ASSOCIATION, Steve. 119 moms have ratified this."

The movie is pure nonsense because it's about Captain America and Iron Man's stances on...something. No one watching the movie has a clear idea what. The stakes being personal does not make the stakes themselves immaterial.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
100% agreed.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Oh my god do you BvS/Zach Snyder fellators ever let up? It's just a movie, guys. Let it go.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 19, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ashpanash posted:

It's just a movie, guy. Let it go.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ashpanash posted:

Oh my god do you BvS/Zach Snyder fellators ever let up? It's just a movie, guys. Let it go.

I didn't pay 10 dollars over a decade ago just to "let it go", young man.

(please read that in a David Lo Pan voice)

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

War Machine posted:

"This is the PARENT-TEACHER ASSOCIATION, Steve. 119 moms have ratified this."

In a universe with superheroes and various cosmic entities I find it interesting that the thing some people find hardest to believe is that the PTA in this world might actually have some power.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ashpanash posted:

Nice Marvel vs DC meltdown, Geordi

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Of course the PTA is in charge of Captain America; he looks like a cyborg Gerber Baby.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlVRUkwYRI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Swag.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I don't know much about the background of the movie production and poo poo, but is this going to be a trilogy or something? Nothing happened, and they barely have Spider Man in the movie although his moral quandaries and wicked rad cyber spidersuit are really one of the high points of the story.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

coyo7e posted:

So I don't know much about the background of the movie production and poo poo, but is this going to be a trilogy or something? Nothing happened, and they barely have Spider Man in the movie although his moral quandaries and wicked rad cyber spidersuit are really one of the high points of the story.

It's a segue into Infinity War movies where they drop all the attempts at anything but fighting aliens again.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Nah it was Civil War mostly in name and super broad strokes with a few key words (like "registration") dropped in. This was just a soft intro to Spider-Man into the MCU, we likely won't get his arc from the actual comics. Like sean10mm said the films are now segueing into Thanos stuff next.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

It's the MCU - they're very loosely connected to each other at the best of times. At best each movie serves to introduce other characters, at worst they're just piles of boring crud.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can't believe I'm saying this, but closely following the premise of Civil War would've made for an actually compelling story. Especially if they doubled down on Tony's agreeing to regulation only because he plans to break it as soon as he feels like it, then implementing all these totalitarian measures out of desperation, because that doesn't work when you're the one running the show.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

coyo7e posted:

It's the season finale of Avengers: Season 2.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's the season finale of Avengers: Season 2.

Ironic stance, given that Civil War was the kickoff of Phase 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Doesn't phase me at all actually.

• Locked thread