Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The flagrant lack of knowledge about the historical order of Greek philosophers and the fact that Orion's belt is one part of a larger constellation has lead me to drop the podcast. GOOD DAY sir.

Joking, in case anyone couldn't read the tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

misadventurous posted:

Nah, it works great as a standalone. Only two of the main characters of the comic appear for most of it, and they're pretty easy to grok. The rest are one-offs.

Ditto, I read it without reading any of the rest of Achewood. It was easy to understand as a newbie. The only things you may lose is some of the minor nuances of the main characters; but the motivations and whatnot are well telegraphed if not spelled out. It's no Dark Souls, but it's diamond in the shitpile of mid-2000s internet media.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01252006

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 18, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have an RSS feed now and am using soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/childishgamespod

http://feeds.feedburner.com/childishgames

Soundcloud seemed to be free, I assume they will want money from me at some point?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Edit: nvm, found the answer

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 19, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a podcast forum, son.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I really should've heeded the content warning for the latest episode of Abject Suffering. Haven't felt that grossed out while laughing at something in a while.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
AS? What about VGHD with Zack describing slicing off his finger with a Harry's Razor?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phone posted:

AS? What about VGHD with Zack describing slicing off his finger with a Harry's Razor?

Did he staunch the bleeding with Doctor Carver's Shaaaaaave Butterrrrrrrrr?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

misadventurous posted:

Nah, it works great as a standalone. Only two of the main characters of the comic appear for most of it, and they're pretty easy to grok. The rest are one-offs.

On the other hand, IIRC, it is also not particularly far into the comic and Achewood is extremely funny and good.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

If by "not that far into the comic" you mean "five years into the comic", sure. I love Achewood dearly, but it's notoriously difficult to get into by archive binging. I mean, there are like six months of hit-or-miss anti-joke strips before you even get to Ray's party.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Re: The Dragon Quest VII Retronauts

I have always thought that the "3 hours before first combat" thing was a GOOD thing. Couldn't agree more with your retake on it, Jeremy.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

Re: The Dragon Quest VII Retronauts

I have always thought that the "3 hours before first combat" thing was a GOOD thing. Couldn't agree more with your retake on it, Jeremy.

I'm looking forward to listening because I haaaaaaated the pacing of DQ7. I'll be curious if other people who didn't care for it will reconsider on portable.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Woffle posted:

I'm looking forward to listening because I haaaaaaated the pacing of DQ7. I'll be curious if other people who didn't care for it will reconsider on portable.

Oh, unfortunately, it was just a Micro. Jeremy makes a case for enjoying the game today with the new 3DS version when he didn't back then.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Good to know. I want to read reviews from people playing this version who didn't care for the old version too. Does the move to portable make it bearable?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It wasn't just the pacing that killed the original for me, as I managed to get somewhere between 25-50% of the way through the (extremely long) game; I got fed up having to backtrack and comb areas to find pieces of land maps so I could progress with the game. There were endgame hints, but either a few of them were pretty obscure or I'm a moron. So you're sitting there with a guide and just...

My biggest problem, though, is that it's sandwiched on both sides by perfectly good Dragon Quest games. DQ6 has similar gameplay and is a lot easier to pick up and play, while DQ8 is just an incredibly charming experience with a bang-up localization.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Being able to grind for a few minutes every day is a good way to play long rear end RPGs, it's how I slowly worked my way through Xenoblade Chronicles.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Woffle posted:

Good to know. I want to read reviews from people playing this version who didn't care for the old version too. Does the move to portable make it bearable?

Every PS1+ era remake of a DQ improves flaws in the game and smooths the grind a little and this one is probably one of the most drastic overhauls they've ever done.

Also: yes, portability is a huge plus but god damnit there's a weird lag on the text boxes/menus in this port which suuuuuucks. However, the battles don't have awful load times, so it's a slight benefit. And I don't know if the n3DS nullifies that lag.

(I say this as someone who slogged to the end of DWVII and never beat it because gently caress the final boss.)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

By pacing, it was just a start time to action ratio. I don't like five minutes before a game let's me play with its systems, let alone 36 times that. It's weird, because I agree with Viv. 6 is _fine_ but 8 is actually really good, due to immense charm. I just didn't have anything to keep me going in 7. No mechanical engagement, little charm, just the promise of depth waaaaay down the road.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Woffle posted:

They made a lot of quality of life improvements for this version, too, like no longer forcing you to scour blindly through a massive world in order to find the one tablet fragment you're missing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Woffle posted:

By pacing, it was just a start time to action ratio. I don't like five minutes before a game let's me play with its systems, let alone 36 times that. It's weird, because I agree with Viv. 6 is _fine_ but 8 is actually really good, due to immense charm. I just didn't have anything to keep me going in 7. No mechanical engagement, little charm, just the promise of depth waaaaay down the road.

All of that is still true in the 3DS version. You don't get vocations until a 1/4 of the way through and all of the new gameplay elements are a slow trickle. It exists somewhere between 6 and 8 where you have the class system of 6, they just come way later, with the bang up localization of 8 but it's not as charming as 8.

Being portable helps a lot. I can't stress enough the importance of not feeling pressured to accomplish something every time I pick up the game where if this was a console title I would've fallen off immediately (and I did with the original 7!). The early game is slow but once it ramps up, and you'll notice the slope, it doesn't stop. It's just that ramp up takes longer than any other game out there.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Every PS1+ era remake of a DQ improves flaws in the game and smooths the grind a little and this one is probably one of the most drastic overhauls they've ever done.

Also: yes, portability is a huge plus but god damnit there's a weird lag on the text boxes/menus in this port which suuuuuucks. However, the battles don't have awful load times, so it's a slight benefit. And I don't know if the n3DS nullifies that lag.

(I say this as someone who slogged to the end of DWVII and never beat it because gently caress the final boss.)

n3DS I don't notice lag on the actual text scroll but there is a barely perceptible wait from when a menu box closes and a new one opens. It's most noticeable when trying to transfer an item that I accidentally use it or I enter a shop and select an item because I pressed a directional button too quickly. It hasn't happened again after the first few hours, I think I just adjusted to it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That's exactly the poo poo I mean, yeah. So it's on both systems, poo poo.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
For me the problem with it isn't slow pacing, it's that most of the stuff it makes you do is just blatant, pointless filler. Reposting from the 3ds thread:

It feels like the designers of DQVII got paid by the hours of "gameplay" they put in, because christ this game loves wasting your time. Half of the time you're doing chores like "go collect 4 armor pieces from these places and bring them here" or "go get an elixir from a guy and bring it here" and there aren't even any puzzles, monsters, plot advancement or.. anything there. You just walk to the thing, then walk back and put the thing where it needs to go and if you're lucky the game finally lets you continue. What's the point? And god help you if you get a musical tune of any kind, since the game will absolutely not let you skip any of those. Better listen to the same long jingle a thousand times, although I play with the sounds off (I like listening to podcasts / audiobooks while playing these, I thought the game had crashed the first time).

As a minor gripe, the strange timewasting fetish extends to the UI as well; for example it wants you to pick between fighting or fleeing at the start of every single round of every encounter before you get to put in any commands. Why can't this just assume I'll fight and put the other options to a submenu or something, since this adds to literally thousands of completely pointless clicks and the menu system lags. Also hope you like sorting inventory items one at a time, because inventory isn't shared.

Just now I got to a new village and can't leave, the game just goes "We haven't talked to everyone! Let's talk to everyone!". Well, I slowly talked to everyone in the town (nobody had anything meaningful to say of course), tried to leave, and.. "We haven't talked to everyone!". Huh. I went back again, and turns out you need to talk to one guy twice. Well that was some meaningful gameplay, thanks.

It does look like this gets a bit better later on, but the start is infuriating. I can't imagine what the PS1 version must have been like to slog through. And yes, the menu slowdown gets really bad later even on a n3ds - the worst has been in the poker minigame for some strange reason. Trying to pick wether or not you want to double down slows the game to an absolute crawl, and it's just a yes/no-menu.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 20, 2016

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I think the context we're missing about Dragon Quest VII is that its long, long delays are likely responsible for its length. At that point, the Japanese audience was used to getting a new DQ game ever 1-2 years, and they waited nearly 5 for a sequel that was probably supposed to release in '97-'98 (at least, that's what the graphics make it seem like). My guess is the devs were anxious over the possibility of people being disappointed, so they compensated by making the adventure gargantuan.

But the DQ games made by Heartbeat (VI, VII) are generally slowly paced. I sunk some time into DQVI and plan on going back, but after 18 hours I didn't hit any job system. In any case, I think mega-huge games are 1000 times more approachable on a portable system than they would be on a console—I just hit 100 hours on Monster Hunter Generations without even realizing it.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 20, 2016

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Dropbear posted:

As a minor gripe, the strange timewasting fetish extends to the UI as well; for example it wants you to pick between fighting or fleeing at the start of every single round of every encounter before you get to put in any commands. Why can't this just assume I'll fight and put the other options to a submenu or something, since this adds to literally thousands of completely pointless clicks and the menu system lags. Also hope you like sorting inventory items one at a time, because inventory isn't shared.
Haha, what a "gently caress you" to the player, for no reason at all. Keep pressing that button, bitch. We know you love it.

I think Japan just doesn't quite get user interfaces. Even their websites usually are stuck at least ten years in the past.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bobservo posted:

I think the context we're missing about Dragon Quest VII is that its long, long delays are likely responsible for its length. At that point, the Japanese audience was used to getting a new DQ game ever 1-2 years, and they waited nearly 5 for a sequel that was probably supposed to release in '97-'98 (at least, that's what the graphics make it seem like). My guess is the devs were anxious over the possibility of people being disappointed, so they compensated by making the adventure gargantuan.

But the DQ games made by Heartbeat (VI, VII) are generally slowly paced. I sunk some time into DQVI and plan on going back, but after 18 hours I didn't hit any job system. In any case, I think mega-huge games are 1000 times more approachable on a portable system than they would be on a console—I just hit 100 hours on Monster Hunter Generations without even realizing it.

Rumor was it was planned for the 64DD of all consoles, but I think there's a lot of crossover between Mother 3 and DQVII's technical problems. Dragon Quest is such a traditional series, and Heartbeat's only experience was making 2D games, they probably didn't know how to approach a traditional RPG in a post-FF7 world where everyone expected 3D graphics and CGI cutscenes. And it's kind of strange that Dragon Quest VII basically moved Call of Duty numbers in Japan alone but the company shut its doors after release. Here's my masterpiece that will secure me financially for the next few years, bye!

Dropbear posted:

For me the problem with it isn't slow pacing, it's that most of the stuff it makes you do is just blatant, pointless filler. Reposting from the 3ds thread:

It feels like the designers of DQVII got paid by the hours of "gameplay" they put in, because christ this game loves wasting your time. Half of the time you're doing chores like "go collect 4 armor pieces from these places and bring them here" or "go get an elixir from a guy and bring it here" and there aren't even any puzzles, monsters, plot advancement or.. anything there. You just walk to the thing, then walk back and put the thing where it needs to go and if you're lucky the game finally lets you continue. What's the point? And god help you if you get a musical tune of any kind, since the game will absolutely not let you skip any of those. Better listen to the same long jingle a thousand times, although I play with the sounds off (I like listening to podcasts / audiobooks while playing these, I thought the game had crashed the first time).

Just now I got to a new village and can't leave, the game just goes "We haven't talked to everyone! Let's talk to everyone!". Well, I slowly talked to everyone in the town (nobody had anything meaningful to say of course), tried to leave, and.. "We haven't talked to everyone!". Huh. I went back again, and turns out you need to talk to one guy twice. Well that was some meaningful gameplay, thanks.

It does look like this gets a bit better later on, but the start is infuriating. I can't imagine what the PS1 version must have been like to slog through. And yes, the menu slowdown gets really bad later even on a n3ds - the worst has been in the poker minigame for some strange reason. Trying to pick wether or not you want to double down slows the game to an absolute crawl, and it's just a yes/no-menu.

Aside from the menus lagging, you're just describing Dragon Quest. It is the single most conservative video game series in existence and the order of menus, inventory management, and audio cues aren't going to go away. Granted I haven't even looked into DQX which is an MMO.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

al-azad posted:

Aside from the menus lagging, you're just describing Dragon Quest. It is the single most conservative video game series in existence and the order of menus, inventory management, and audio cues aren't going to go away. Granted I haven't even looked into DQX which is an MMO.

I liked DQ9 quite a lot and it was nowhere near this egregious about filler with literally no content other than walking back & forth and other unskippable stuff.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

al-azad posted:

Rumor was it was planned for the 64DD of all consoles, but I think there's a lot of crossover between Mother 3 and DQVII's technical problems. Dragon Quest is such a traditional series, and Heartbeat's only experience was making 2D games, they probably didn't know how to approach a traditional RPG in a post-FF7 world where everyone expected 3D graphics and CGI cutscenes. And it's kind of strange that Dragon Quest VII basically moved Call of Duty numbers in Japan alone but the company shut its doors after release. Here's my masterpiece that will secure me financially for the next few years, bye!

Heartbeat made the PlayStation remake of IV after VII, but their reason for dissolving is stated as "going on sabbatical," so I'm guessing developing these DQ games nearly killed them. That's probably for the best, though, since Level-5 made some kickass DQ games after that.

(I would murder for a portable HD remake of DQIX.)

bobservo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 20, 2016

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bobservo posted:

That makes a lot of sense as the origin story. I'm just not sure if it changes the experience in my hands or anything. I also didn't finish 6 for much the same reason. I just can't do that anymore.

Jeremy, I read your blog post when I woke up. I hope I didn't contribute to your feeling dogpiled about this. I'm glad you dig the game.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Woffle posted:

Jeremy, I read your blog post when I woke up. I hope I didn't contribute to your feeling dogpiled about this. I'm glad you dig the game.

Eh? I didn't feel dogpiled at all. The response to that DQ7 mini-podcast was vastly more positive than I expected. I always expect the response to a monologue-style episode to be a lot of "for god's sake, shut up." And I didn't make it clear enough that I appreciate DQVII on 3DS both because I've grown up and because they surgically extracted the suck during the conversion process, so honestly I'm surprised there wasn't more (fully merited) pushback.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Eh? I didn't feel dogpiled at all. The response to that DQ7 mini-podcast was vastly more positive than I expected. I always expect the response to a monologue-style episode to be a lot of "for god's sake, shut up." And I didn't make it clear enough that I appreciate DQVII on 3DS both because I've grown up and because they surgically extracted the suck during the conversion process, so honestly I'm surprised there wasn't more (fully merited) pushback.

I was curious if you did and glad to hear you didn't. The re-release has resurrected a bunch of discussions that have lay dormant for a while.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Episode 3 of Childish Games! is now live

Super Mario 8060, a Mario game in a post apocalptic distopia where the only way to win is to die

https://soundcloud.com/childishgamespod/super-mario-8060

And we have an RSS feed now

http://feeds.feedburner.com/ChildishGames

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

greatn posted:

Episode 3 of Childish Games! is now live

Super Mario 8060, a Mario game in a post apocalptic distopia where the only way to win is to die

https://soundcloud.com/childishgamespod/super-mario-8060

And we have an RSS feed now

http://feeds.feedburner.com/ChildishGames

Where's the download button on that thing? Looking forwards to having a listen but streaming isn't an option for me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Didn't realize that wasn't an option. I'll see if I can enable that later. The RSS feed definitely works though, so if you plug that into a podcast app the app will download it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Changed the settings and should be downloadable now

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Listening to the latest Idle Thumbs and I appreciated the calls of bullshit in reference to the "robots will replace you, but don't worry" stuff. Also funny to point out that the robots do the making of the pizza and then leave the delivery, which is the most dangerous part of the business, to people.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anyone have iOS podcast app recommendations? After years of Podcast.app, I'm ready to throw it into the sun for being super unreliable.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You'll never get a single answer to that question, haha. It doesn't help that it usually is pretty easy to import your podcast subscriptions from one app to the next. Myself I started with Instacast (apparently RIP at this point), switched to Downcast when I got an iPad Mini and somewhere along the lines I switched to Overcast. The latter is what I've been using for the past 2 years and what I would recommend.

Overcast is free with advertisements and there's a subscription fee to remove them. I'm not entirely sure, they recently changed their payment model (again) and I'm ad-free because I paid for the app a couple years ago. Either way it's free, so why not give it a shot? I doubt the banner ads are obstructive when the app is usually running in the background.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 26, 2016

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Phone posted:

Anyone have iOS podcast app recommendations? After years of Podcast.app, I'm ready to throw it into the sun for being super unreliable.

Downcast is awesome and only three bucks. Does everything it should, intuitive interface, lots of customization options, etc.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Phone posted:

I use Overcast and love it. Its presentation is really simple and has just enough playlist and organization management to smartly play the show I want next (and settings to jettison episodes I skip off my phone if I don't listen to them in a time period I set). While it doesn't have a companion desktop app, it does have a very simple website you can log into to resume your casts from where you left off on a PC if you're one who listens at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://soundcloud.com/childishgamespod/e4-the-assassination-of-mega-man-by-the-coward-celery-man

Episode 4 of Childish Games! is up where we finish the Mega Man series since Keije Inafune no longer can.