Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

The Locator posted:

Umm... don't you still need to maintain a lease, like do alignments and replace tires and poo poo?

Only if you don't want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The tires I replaced at the end of last year still had life in them but they weren't much fun to drive on. The Eco tires that where fitted to the front when I bought it gave me my first experience of aqua planing and also my first wheel spin. In even slightly wet conditions it was like having a pair of ice cubes instead of tires so I switched them out and haven't looked back. I don't think I'd bother with Eco tires though they just don't quite do the job.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I don't think I'd bother with Eco tires though they just don't quite do the job.

This. I got talked into a set of Bridgestone Ecopias. Never again.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my car right now. I know that's what the last set was, I don't remember if this one is too, it's been a while. They're an awesome 3.5 season tire, and the winter has been mild enough here the last two years I've hardly even thought about my winter wheel/tire combo let alone gone through the effort of swapping them

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

DumbparameciuM posted:

I just replaced a set of Ecopias with 25k on my Altima with Michelin Premiers. The difference is amazing.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I spun out once with a set of cheap tyres on the back. I've never had that happen on more expensive tyres. Therefore, my conclusion is that good tyres are better than bad tyres.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is like when we finally convinced my dad to buy snow tires after living in the northeastern USA and Canada and driving on all-seasons for 37 years. "Nah, I don't need that, you just have to drive slower in the snow."

later: "Holy poo poo, these things really work in the snow!"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ferremit posted:

Thats POST motor that filter- and its pristine white on the other side and underneath the burnt fluff- intake filters fine too, cleaned out about 2 weeks ago. This poor things been hammered in its 6yr life tho... idiot housemate used it to vacuum water and mud out of his hilux after he flooded it, it lived its first three years in a house that didnt have a vacuum in it for the previous 10 years, and then we've used it 2-3 times to clean up the house while building it. Its also used a shop vac on the cars too...

We're getting another one today- this one with a beater brush to get the fuzz that the two cats have spread everywhere out of the carpet, and i'll jam an ebay motor into the old DC29 and it gives me a shed vacuum!

This reminds me, I should buy a replacement HEPA cartridge for mine. I've had it since 2008 and I have no idea what the replacement cycle is on it. Recently pulled up a bunch of plaster dust. Got it for around half price as a floor model when a local Macy's closed.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Ferremit posted:

So my poor Dyson was going happily and all of a sudden went bang.

Exactly how our Dyson failed about a year ago. Totally fine, then sparks everywhere, the sound of a very unhappy motor, and lots of magic smoke escaping. The post motor filter was nothing but black char.

I found Dyson replacement bits from the UK were by far the cheapest on ebay, and the knockoff replacement motor we got for like $25AUD has worked perfectly.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

DumbparameciuM posted:

Mine where hankook something eco but the cheap bastard previous owner only replaced two of them so the others where general hankook tires. Oddly things weren't so bad when I but the general tires on the front. Road noise went down and I could feel what the tires where doing. Only thing I dislike about the semi sporty bridgestones I replaced them with is they hate rough surfaces which if you head anywhere out of Sydney is everywhere. On the concrete Hume Highway between Sydney and Melbourne the noises are a pile of odd harmonics that make you start to question if the wheels are still attached

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Vitamin J posted:

It's surprising the number of these high end cars that have old terrible tires on them. They are garaged and the miles are kept low, and the tires never get changed. A 10 year old set of Michelins or whatever were on the Porsche probably looked brand new and perfect if it was a low mileage collector's car.
It's pretty common to see low mileage and collector cars with original rubber. When I was M3 shopping several of the cars were only on their second set of tires which by that point usually 15-20 years old. One had the original tires from 1989 though they were almost slicks and were dry rotted as hell.

nm posted:

You shouldn't be driving on public roads in a manner that old tires should matter.
This is very true but most people aren't as aware of tires as they should be. One of the first M3s I test drove had tires that were around 15 years old and we took it on a curvy back road to get a feel for it. Not even exceeding the speed limit and carrying a bit more speed into corners than they were marked had the car sliding around like it was pouring rain. I started checking tire date codes after that test drive. Old tires are generally fine then hit a temperature or something and go off in a big way with very little warning, not a nice gradual fall off like a newer tire.

0toShifty posted:

Fix the flat tire, Frank! 2014 Lexus IS350 F-sport.

How about NO! It was leaking out of one of the bubbles forming in the worn areas. Yeah, new tire time!
I SUGGEST AN ALIGNMENT!
hahahhaha no back it out, it's a lease!
On that topic I went to rotate my tires after an oil change (every 10k) and found the source of my vibration. Tire was good 10k miles ago but not any more. Went and got new tires and an alignment last week, toe-in was LF .5 and RF 1.5.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

JBark posted:

Exactly how our Dyson failed about a year ago. Totally fine, then sparks everywhere, the sound of a very unhappy motor, and lots of magic smoke escaping. The post motor filter was nothing but black char.

I found Dyson replacement bits from the UK were by far the cheapest on ebay, and the knockoff replacement motor we got for like $25AUD has worked perfectly.

Thats the plan for the old one- new Ebay motor into it and then it becomes the shed vac.

We may have forked out $950 for the top of the line Big Ball with about 10 tools on it. Which then terrified us because we've never put a vacuum with a beater brush on it across our carpet since we got the cats. Emptied the new ones canister three times out of our bedroom that i only vacuumed a fortnight ago!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ferremit posted:

Thats the plan for the old one- new Ebay motor into it and then it becomes the shed vac.

We may have forked out $950 for the top of the line Big Ball with about 10 tools on it. Which then terrified us because we've never put a vacuum with a beater brush on it across our carpet since we got the cats. Emptied the new ones canister three times out of our bedroom that i only vacuumed a fortnight ago!

We bought a Dyson like a decade ago, and it's still running strong, and hasn't lost suction.
It's not the ball type. Do the ball ones work okay? I just...I dunno, I just don't seem to trust them. I like this older upright model.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Johnny Aztec posted:

We bought a Dyson like a decade ago, and it's still running strong, and hasn't lost suction.
It's not the ball type. Do the ball ones work okay? I just...I dunno, I just don't seem to trust them. I like this older upright model.

The ball ones are just OK compared to the old ones in my experience. We have one of each because our old one's beater bar took a poo poo, so I took it out to be a garage/car vacuum since I would only be using the wand. Then I tried to use it as a normal vacuum one day for some floor mats that were out of the car and POOF it works like brand new. It's probably ten years old at this point and has better suction than the new one, as well as having a much longer cord so it's good for cars that are out in the driveway as well. I'd move it back in the house but there's been so much nasty poo poo through it...

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
We have a 99 jimmy that I put Chinese tires on the rear of, and it reminds me of the video where they put donuts on the rear of a c63amg. The 99 Jimmy is not a vehicle capable of breaking the speed limit to begin with but with these pieces of poo poo I slow down for every minor curve and take on/off ramps like a 90 year old lady. They lose traction with no provocation and I would just get rid of them if it wasn't a third vehicle that hardly gets used.

Edit- oh yeah, thank you ai for reminding me to check our 9 year old Dyson hepa filter that lived through house building, a long haired cat, and 2 toddlers, yikes

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Modus Man posted:

We have a 99 jimmy that I put Chinese tires on the rear of, and it reminds me of the video where they put donuts on the rear of a c63amg. The 99 Jimmy is not a vehicle capable of breaking the speed limit to begin with but with these pieces of poo poo I slow down for every minor curve and take on/off ramps like a 90 year old lady. They lose traction with no provocation and I would just get rid of them if it wasn't a third vehicle that hardly gets used.

How are the front tires on the Jimmy, or are they a different size? I believe the usual recommendation it to put the better tires on the back.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Saukkis posted:

How are the front tires on the Jimmy, or are they a different size? I believe the usual recommendation it to put the better tires on the back.

The front tires are Goodyears with 25% tread left, which is why I put the new tires on the rear, assuming they would have more traction.

Once I tidy up the suspension and get an alignment it will get some Cooper discovers as long as I don't donate it to charity first or sell it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Saukkis posted:

I believe the usual recommendation it to put the better tires on the back.

I've never understood that. Front tires do the turning and stopping.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jamal posted:

I've never understood that. Front tires do the turning and stopping.

You always want the front tires to lose grip first, because if you lose the back first you're going to do a 180.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yup, basically when it comes down to it understeer is the safer way to lose traction. Most vehicles are built to crash front-on, and understeer does it's best to ensure that's what happens.

Oversteer is more fun and to a skilled driver more controllable, but when it goes wrong the direction you're facing upon impact is now up to luck and physics.

tl;dr: Crashing head-on in to a tree is less likely to kill you than sliding sideways in to a tree.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

PCOS Bill posted:

I think I have Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my car right now. I know that's what the last set was, I don't remember if this one is too, it's been a while. They're an awesome 3.5 season tire, and the winter has been mild enough here the last two years I've hardly even thought about my winter wheel/tire combo let alone gone through the effort of swapping them

I got the pure contacts not too long ago. Like night and day. Endless grip especially in the rain.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Preoptopus posted:

I got the pure contacts not too long ago. Like night and day. Endless grip especially in the rain. And the quietest tire I have ever bought. ive seen extreme contacts wear out prematurely so we will see how these go. Although im babying them.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
poo poo that was supposed to be an edit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
huh I wonder why this Justy ended up in the junkyard for me and 14 to pillage

the same reason they all do... oil pump and/or timing chain guide failure plus a 3psi oil pressure dummy lamp leading directly to a spun rod bearing, seized engine, and thrown rod :sigh::cb:

Engine was completely disassembled, all major components AWOL (block, crank, head, balance shaft, timing covers sprockets and chain, etc) probably because they all got wrecked by the rod whipping around. Oh well, the rest of the hardware and parts were stacked in the trunk so now I have more spares... someone loved that car, they bagged all the hardware and wrote down what each bag contained. Except this one, which tells the whole sad tale a lot more succinctly than I just did.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's the oil pan bolt, right?

ololololol

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

wolrah posted:

Yup, basically when it comes down to it understeer is the safer way to lose traction. Most vehicles are built to crash front-on, and understeer does it's best to ensure that's what happens.

Oversteer is more fun and to a skilled driver more controllable, but when it goes wrong the direction you're facing upon impact is now up to luck and physics.

tl;dr: Crashing head-on in to a tree is less likely to kill you than sliding sideways in to a tree.

https://youtu.be/EQWPumtDXk0
:colbert:

Also, breaking traction in your rear wheels in good conditions is just as easy as giving too much gas in a turn or being in too low of a gear. In rain or snow, bad tires break traction whenever the car decides that it hates you. Which is all of the time, because the car wants better tires.
Best to keep that suicidal area of the car in better condition, even if it adds 40ft to your go-to-woah stopping distance

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geirskogul posted:

That's the oil pan bolt, right?

ololololol

IIRC it's a 10x1.25 so probably not.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

I got the pure contacts not too long ago. Like night and day. Endless grip especially in the rain.

They're fantastic in the snow. Truly.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Sagebrush posted:

This is like when we finally convinced my dad to buy snow tires after living in the northeastern USA and Canada and driving on all-seasons for 37 years. "Nah, I don't need that, you just have to drive slower in the snow."

later: "Holy poo poo, these things really work in the snow!"

The first time you have to slam on the brakes in an icy parking lot to avoid your typical oblivious driver backing out of a spot is amazing

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A few pictures of what it looks like when clutch housing breaks in a transaxle Alfa: http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Sape164/slideshow/

Textile floormat inside the car caught fire in the incident.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 20, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DoLittle posted:

A few pictures of what it looks like when clutch housing breaks in a transaxle Alfa: http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Sape164/slideshow/

Textile floormat inside the car caught fire in the incident.

That bellhousing did its job, holy poo poo.

Look at that loving flange.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
:stonklol:

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I have thought on occasion, usually when drunk, about getting an Alfa 75 to experience just the right level of mechanical horror and beautiful ugliness. This makes it even more appealing.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I too wish to experience the mechanical horror/beauty of having my femoral artery severed by a chunk of bellhousing

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I too wish to experience the mechanical horror/beauty of having my femoral artery severed by a chunk of bellhousing

Isn't it the 75 where you drive with your arms straight out and feet strangely offset to one side? Now we know why; it's to avoid shrapnel.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Not gonna happen unless you are sitting in the back seat. The clutch is behind the driver.

This is the car in clutch housing images with some fire extinguisher dust.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 21, 2016

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

DELETED posted:

The first time you have to slam on the brakes in an icy parking lot to avoid your typical oblivious driver backing out of a spot is amazing

I remember being the weird-as-hell evangelist about snow tires after I bought them for my Fit. I wasn't paying attention as well as I should have on a snowy commute to work in PA, and woke up to realize the car in front of me was at a dead stop on a 4 lane road. Slammed on the brakes, stopped about 5 feet from the bumper in front of me. I figured I would have paid $500 for my insurance deductible (as well as inflated rates thereafter) so the snow tires paid themselves off in that very moment that day.

Snow tires own, if you live North of VA, 4/20 use snow tires every day winter.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I mean admittedly I only used the all-terrain tires on my car for the duration that I owned it, but why the gently caress would you drive in snow without M&S tires???

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I only really needed snow tires for about 3 days last winter in Pittsburgh. The rest of the winter, I would have been safer on all seasons.

It's all about risk management unless you want to be swapping wheels on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was my thought on getting summer tires. There are maybe 3-4 days in the year where my summer tires won't be at optimal temperature but the rest of the year is great.