Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have they talked about a Mac port? (Are those still things?) And would PC and Mac people be able to play together?

I know quite a few people who don't game at all -- except Civ games. They also use Macs and I don't know anything about how anything on that side works

The Mac Port exists, is coming out, but probably not on the release date. The releases of CivV, G&K, BNW, Civ:BE, Rising Tide all had Mac ports, and they got closer and closer to the launch date with each successive release.

I don't think it's too much to assume it will come out sooner than 1.5 months afterwards in time for Christmas. I think their strategy is to not promise a date, but work towards the best one they can deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OfChristandMen posted:

The Mac Port exists, is coming out, but probably not on the release date. The releases of CivV, G&K, BNW, Civ:BE, Rising Tide all had Mac ports, and they got closer and closer to the launch date with each successive release.

I don't think it's too much to assume it will come out sooner than 1.5 months afterwards in time for Christmas. I think their strategy is to not promise a date, but work towards the best one they can deliver.

It would also be nice if the Mac port could be modded the same as the PC port, and even better if the mods themselves required no change to work on either platform.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

It would also be nice if the Mac port could be modded the same as the PC port, and even better if the mods themselves required no change to work on either platform.

I'm fairly certain that that is actually impossible without expending some insane amount of resources into developing it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

AnoHito posted:

I'm fairly certain that that is actually impossible without expending some insane amount of resources into developing it.

No, it just requires them to build in a scripting engine so that mods don't require compiled code (which is de facto platform-specific) to work.

Or I guess they could write the game in Java. :v:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, it just requires them to build in a scripting engine so that mods don't require compiled code (which is de facto platform-specific) to work.

Or I guess they could write the game in Java. :v:

Really, it just means they'd have to make it unnecessary to have to (re)build the core DLL like it is for Civ4 & Civ5 mods that need to do so in order to make the changes they want.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AnoHito posted:

Mods in paradox games are 100% cross plataform. Most mods for Civ 5 are too. That big community patch is not cause it uses changed DLLs

So no, is not that hard

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 20, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Many things that make mods cross-platform (scripting, externalized resources, etc.) also make development more efficient, so it wouldn't be all that surprising.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Civ V mods are technically cross platform if they don't touch DLLs, but the Aspyr ports don't have Workshop support so it's a pain in the rear end a relative fraction of the players bother with, afaik.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

AlphaKretin posted:

Civ V mods are technically cross platform if they don't touch DLLs, but the Aspyr ports don't have Workshop support so it's a pain in the rear end a relative fraction of the players bother with, afaik.

They...do have Workshop support. I'm staring at it on my Mac.

e:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Huh. Either that's relatively* new, or its time to fall back on my "afaik" clause.

*like, a year or more :v:

E: Does Speedball read this thread? I remember it being mention in his Peace Walker mod LP.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 20, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Aerdan posted:

They...do have Workshop support. I'm staring at it on my Mac.

e:

Works normally on linux too

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Huh. Either that's relatively* new, or its time to fall back on my "afaik" clause.

*like, a year or more :v:

E: Does Speedball read this thread? I remember it being mention in his Peace Walker mod LP.

I do now! What's up?

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Now I'm wondering how an MSF civ lead by Big Boss would play in Civ 6. Wherever ViceVirtuoso is, I hope he's planning it out at this very moment.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Interestingly I like how America is as much of a cultural powerhouse this time around with its unique moviemaking facility. Teddy Roosevelt as a leader representing the U.S. is a long time coming, he was absolutely the coolest pres we ever had.

Yeah, looks like Civ 6 is taking a few pages from Endless Legend. Which I am totally on board with.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm Not a programmer, but I feel like if you manage your modules properly so that the game.exe is a glorified resource loader, there is no reason mods can't be cross platform compatible.

CivIV was architected the way it was because of the performance and memory considerations of the day. afaik it was designed to be 32-bit and use python 2.7 from the very beginning, but with much faster multi core processors, as well as heaps more ram and the ability to require 64-bit systems to play the game, I feel like none of those concerns are valid anymore.

So expose every resource, let nothing remain out of reach for the community. I'm excited for Civ VI!

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 21, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Speedball posted:

I do now! What's up?

Oh I just vaguely remember you saying something in that LP about how getting mods working on Mac was a pain in the rear end and I'm desperately seeking confirmation that I'm not insane about it once not having Workshop support. :v:

E: VVV Phew, thanks.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 21, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh I just vaguely remember you saying something in that LP about how getting mods working on Mac was a pain in the rear end and I'm desperately seeking confirmation that I'm not insane about it once not having Workshop support. :v:

It didn't have native Workshop support, that's for sure. I had to go through a process of moving it out of one download folder and into another, unpacking it with a third program... and not every mod was Mac-friendly.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 21, 2016

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Whats the difference between the regular and deluxe editions?

Edit. Nevermind, found the answer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Speedball posted:

Interestingly I like how America is as much of a cultural powerhouse this time around with its unique moviemaking facility. Teddy Roosevelt as a leader representing the U.S. is a long time coming, he was absolutely the coolest pres we ever had.

He fuckin' was, wasn't he? Like one of the few leaders we've had that anyone, regardless of their political alignments, can agree that was a drat fine fella.

My favorite part so far has got to be the art direction they went with re: leaderheads. It almost looks like claymation puppets, it's good poo poo.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

He is more obscure than Lincoln or Washington for non-Americans though. He definitely deserves to be the American leader in Civ 6, but considering the cartoony feel of the game, it seems like a missed opportunity not to have Lincoln again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's Rome with Trajan today!

Leader UA: Trajan's Column - All cities start with a free building in the City Center (usually a Monument).

Civ UA: All Roads Lead to Rome - All cities start with a Trading Post. All new cities within trade route range of the capital start with a road built to it. Your trade routes earn extra gold for passing through Trading Posts in your own cities.

Civ UU: Legion - Replaces Swordsman. Costs more, but is stronger and can build Forts and roads (limited building charges, though).

Civ UD: Baths - Replaces the Aqueduct District. Provides Amenities and more Housing than the Aqueduct.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 21, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Rome fanatics on every civ forum will be excited about that

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
UA: All Roads Lead to Rome - all cities start with trading post, new cities within trading range of your capital start with a road leading to them. Trade routes earn extra gold for trading through trading posts in your own cities.
UU: Legion - stronger and more expensive than swordsman which it replaces, can build forts and roads (limited number of builds, looks like 2). This gives Rome early access to forts.
UI: Baths - replaces aqueduct. Provides amenities and more housing. Unlocked at Engineering.
LUA: Trajans' Column - all cities start with one free building in the city center (most of the time will be Monument which is +2 culture)

I love that UA.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the big question i have here is if those roads are free or if they cost maintenance

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rexides posted:

He is more obscure than Lincoln or Washington for non-Americans though. He definitely deserves to be the American leader in Civ 6, but considering the cartoony feel of the game, it seems like a missed opportunity not to have Lincoln again.

I still want to see Truman as an American leader, myself. He wasn't much liked at the time, but historians have come around to how well he handled things at a very difficult time and how many of his unpopular decisions were, looking back, ultimately the correct ones.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IDK, I think America should get the same treatment everybody else gets and they should have some person who either didn't exist or was never a leader to represent America. Like Johnny Appleseed or something

E: Or maybe just replace every civ with America under a different president

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

IDK, I think America should get the same treatment everybody else gets and they should have some person who either didn't exist or was never a leader to represent America. Like Johnny Appleseed or something

Paul Bunyan :colbert:

His UU could be Babe.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

So for Rome's ability, when they say all cities in range of the capital, foreign cities are included, right? It looked like Delhi was used as an example.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Davincie posted:

the big question i have here is if those roads are free or if they cost maintenance

I'm assuming there's no road maintenance in Civ VI at all, given how they're constructed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Funny that Rome can't build aqueducts

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Beh, with that Digital Deluxe you get 4 DLC expansion packs for only $20 more. That is a significant savings since most DLCs are at least $20 a pop, right?

It seems its being intentionally obfuscated. I want all the expansion packs, but surely this can't be that. It looks like it may just be extra leaders, maps, and scenarios. I want all leaders and all civs, but I don't really care about custom scenarios or maps, especially when you can find them in the mod community.

Maybe I will hold off on this Deluxe upgrade after all, though the soundtrack WOULD be nice.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 21, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Senerio posted:

Paul Bunyan :colbert:

His UU could be Babe.

Hell yes.

I may be biased though.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Kurtofan posted:

Funny that Rome can't build aqueducts

Yeah, it's kinda weird decision to replace the most Roman non-unique building with something that historically required aqueducts to provide water. I'm not saying that baths is a silly unique, I'd just want to see Roman cities with both.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Streamers have begun getting pre-release copies of the game, but the NDA doesn't expire until 9 AM US Central, Thursday, September 29th. (That's 2 PM GMT/UTC)

So expect to see basically everything shy of the DLC (and possibly the as-yet officially unrevealed civs) starting next Thursday.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

I believe we've seen enough mouseover tooltips at this point to confirm that roads in general do not cost maintenance. That was a V-only thing anyway (BE too? I don't remember much about that game's mechanics).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Yeah, it's kinda weird decision to replace the most Roman non-unique building with something that historically required aqueducts to provide water. I'm not saying that baths is a silly unique, I'd just want to see Roman cities with both.

though upon closer look the Baths improvement incorporates an aqueduct.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Roman Bathhouse should randomly let you warp a unit over to one of Japan's cities.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jastiger posted:

Beh, with that Digital Deluxe you get 4 DLC expansion packs for only $20 more. That is a significant savings since most DLCs are at least $20 a pop, right?

It seems its being intentionally obfuscated. I want all the expansion packs, but surely this can't be that. It looks like it may just be extra leaders, maps, and scenarios. I want all leaders and all civs, but I don't really care about custom scenarios or maps, especially when you can find them in the mod community.

Maybe I will hold off on this Deluxe upgrade after all, though the soundtrack WOULD be nice.
The civ+scenario packs in Civ V were $5 each. As you say, they've been intentionally vague on what those 4 extra DLC will be, but I'd be very surprised if they were more than $7.50 each.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rirse posted:

Roman Bathhouse should randomly let you warp a unit over to one of Japan's cities.

Is this an anime joke? I'm sure I saw my wife watching some bizarre anime like that once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is this an anime joke? I'm sure I saw my wife watching some bizarre anime like that once.

I think it is. I only know about it through Chip and Ironicus though.
http://chipandironicus.com/videos/anime/5.html