Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
These producers seriously need to ease up on the bass drop sound effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Tuesday episode:

Nick: I'm not bitter Sue

-a few moments later-

Nick: I WANT REVENGE :tizzy:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nexal posted:

She is a very good goat to take to the finals. I wished that interesting people lasted longer as well but I'm kinda excited to see if goats will wise up and take out the goat herders(does this even happen?).

Why would people be thinking about goats when there is still 25 days left to play? I think that's one of things that hurts the 55 day format. Anyone with a semblance of strategy/game-play gets exposed way too early in the game and people just want to get rid of them.

Matt, Nick and maybe Flick are the only people left that are actually playing the game.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:lol: Nick really needs to stop being so butt-hurt. He is awful with these confrontations. He did exactly the same thing with Jenna-Louise and saw how badly it backfired. Does he never learn?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Teckiwi posted:

Would help if people label the post as to what ep they are potentially spoiling. Fair game if it's been 12+ hours tonot tag it but e14 has only been available to most for < 2 hours and we get 3 in 3 days

Good point.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dugong posted:

Tuesday episode:

Nick: I'm not bitter Sue

-a few moments later-

Nick: I WANT REVENGE :tizzy:

Yeah Nick is seriously petulant about being voted out. I can't blame him for feeling that way but keep it under your hat a little bit jeez.

e14 boot
Phoebe owned but things had to catch up with her eventually. I think her tribe made the wrong choice here, and from a TV perspective it would've been really fun to see what she'd do at the merge, but either way I think it would've been hard for her to hide much longer at this point.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
e14

They absolutely did the correct thing. Phoebe made the crucial overplaying misstep of trying to assuage Kristie, and badly. Like, the don't-talk-to-the-enemy strategy only works if you're Boston Rob with a comfortable majority. How does a criminal attorney not know how reverse psychology works?

The argument that Kate and Connor bought (and I love their bromance and hope they go far) is that Phoebe can and will throw anybody under the bus to save her own game. Kristie made that point very well and clearly to Connor. In a merge situation, having all three tribal connections at hand would serve her better than anybody else, and that's too dangerous a situation to risk given her proven gameplay.

I don't think Kristie is quite as big a goat as she seems. I buy the edit in that I think she truly saved herself with this one. Having her instead of Phoebe puts Kate/Connor in a stronger position going forward. She's trustworthy to the people she works with, and has literally zero outside connections. In short, she's a solid number and a clutch negotiation tool when a single vote can shift the outcome one way or the other. They would never be able to count on Phoebe's vote.

And yay Sue got a nice reward with Tribe Winning :3:

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 20, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well Phoebe being willing to throw people under the bus is what makes it not a slam dunk choice, but Kristie is just going to disappear at the merge and not be any help to them. Maybe Phoebe can help them set something up with Lee and El and others, and if not, she's a huge target anyway which is nice, right? I guess the counterargument is that she simply defects and leaves them high and dry but I mean I basically expect that from Kristie just as much. Just sucks more from my POV that the other tribe couldn't have stolen Phoebe/that Vavau didn't win one immunity/keep her around one more vote, not because she'd win but because she's a good player who would've brought elite TV at merge.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

Well Phoebe being willing to throw people under the bus is what makes it not a slam dunk choice, but Kristie is just going to disappear at the merge and not be any help to them. Maybe Phoebe can help them set something up with Lee and El and others, and if not, she's a huge target anyway which is nice, right? I guess the counterargument is that she simply defects and leaves them high and dry but I mean I basically expect that from Kristie just as much. Just sucks more from my POV that the other tribe couldn't have stolen Phoebe/that Vavau didn't win one immunity/keep her around one more vote, not because she'd win but because she's a good player who would've brought elite TV at merge.

Kristie CAN'T leave them high and dry. She has zero options. That was my point. Connor and Kate need all the help/votes they can get, and after that Kristie's best move is to stay loyal to them, whereas Phoebe's best move post-merge is :iiam:

Think back to Aganoa; she had Kat as a pair, and the girls as a hopeful alliance, and she stuck to that. She never scrambled around being an alliance whore hedging against and with literally everybody. That was Phoebe. That's no bueno for a minority tribe going into a merge.

As for El and Lee, it's kind of a whatever. It's hard to see where they're currently sitting, since Saanapu's getting the Koror edit but it's dumb to keep somebody like Phoebe around in hopes of snagging two mystery people who are likely enough in their own new things anyway.

The other tribe could have stolen Phoebe. Brooke correctly decided against it because she could smell Phoebe's M.O. from a mile away (probably also her B.O., but hey, that's Survivor :v:).

She gave us elite pre-merge TV. Last week was stellar and you have her to thank for it. The show has 13 other people with games we haven't really gotten to see for a while.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I don't know how anyone can say Kristie outplayed Phoebe and it outraged me that her confessional was "Phoebe thinks she can outplay me? Na I'm gonna get her first." Bitch, loving please. You already got outplayed by Phoebe last episode and had NO IDEA and should have gone home if not for (1) a bullshit twist that saved your bacon; and (2) the host outright spilling the beans on Phoebe's game instead of leaving it to Vavau to discuss (which is frankly disgusting) such that Brooke openly admits it stopped her talking Phoebe to Sunaapu.

Phoebe isn't my favourite player but she got absolutely dicked by multiple stupid twists and found her way out of them time after time. This on top of being the #1 player on original Aganoa with every single player wanting to play with her.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Nick is good TV but I wish he would stop whinging about being blindsided. Andrew, Craig and Phoebe have all taken their exits with grace. Nick is still whinging literally 21 days later despite lucking out with a twist.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I agree, with both your posts

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mills posted:

I don't know how anyone can say Kristie outplayed Phoebe and it outraged me that her confessional was "Phoebe thinks she can outplay me? Na I'm gonna get her first." Bitch, loving please. You already got outplayed by Phoebe last episode and had NO IDEA and should have gone home.

This is totally evident by the conversation they had on the beach before the vote. I can't remember what was said exactly, but it was the conversation where Phoebe was trying to ensure Kristie didn't talk. Phoebe was peppering her with a bunch of leading questions and Kristie was just sitting there like a dear in headlights. She actually got one of the answers "wrong" at one stage, Phoebe would ask a follow up and she would completely contradict herself with her next answer. That girl has no idea what she is doing.

I can't remember whether it was last season or one of the older seasons I've recently re-watched but it reminded me heaps of the "you know what the most important thing in Survivor is?" conversation where the girl had like 4 attempts at getting the answer "loyalty? idols? alliances?" and still got it wrong.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I can't face the individual game without Craig and Phoebe. Don't feel right.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Need to figure out some legal loop holes to get Craig and Phoebe on an American All Star Survivor.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
The fact that Phoebe got dicked over so heavily by these twists seems really, really lame and is kinda ruining the season for me, which otherwise I was enjoying. It also serves to make the show worse TV because now we're going into this merge with a tribe of 300 players whose biggest challenge has been having to eat hamburgers and breakfast sandwiches every other day, two people who are incredibly dull, and the weird overconfident goat. Meanwhile, we lost someone interesting who was playing very well, and we lost her because of multiple ridiculous twists and the host blowing up her game for no reason in the previous tribal.

I'm kinda over it and I'm glad the US show starts tomorrow.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
ep 12 was fantastic, terrible logic to assume idols are not in play(especially when one of your core knows they are but failed to find it)

ep 13 was ok

Would have preferred to see sue guaranteed safety for the next tribal if shes expected to be ripped out of vavau and potentially go straight into tribal 2/3 days later in e14

ep 14 was ok

Phoebe's downfall, it had to happen soon and this was the perfect time with a merge after the next tribal or two. Kristie is perfect to take to a final 3 so I don't see her going anywhere any time soon

Teckiwi fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 21, 2016

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I also feel like the way this season has played out will really put the next season of Australian Survivor in a tough spot. As mentioned earlier, the sheer length of the game puts a strain on the people who have been making attempts to play strategically, even if you're not counting the twists, and I think the twists have done a lot to discourage future players from being compelled to make the big moves that can make this such an exciting show. Sure, you've got an opportunity to blindside a close ally and really shake up the balance of power in your tribe, but chances are pretty decent that there just won't be a vote, or that that person will switch to the other tribe and be entirely out of your reach. So what are they left with, a second 55 day season where nobody is particularly willing to do anything for 24 episodes? That doesn't sound great to me.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Mills, the thing is not saying that Phoebe got outplayed; I'm not really arguing that (short of that she outplayed herself). I'm saying that for the two deciders, getting rid of her at that point was infinitely smarter than getting rid of Kristie. Got anything for that?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

obliriovrons posted:

I also feel like the way this season has played out will really put the next season of Australian Survivor in a tough spot. As mentioned earlier, the sheer length of the game puts a strain on the people who have been making attempts to play strategically, even if you're not counting the twists, and I think the twists have done a lot to discourage future players from being compelled to make the big moves that can make this such an exciting show. Sure, you've got an opportunity to blindside a close ally and really shake up the balance of power in your tribe, but chances are pretty decent that there just won't be a vote, or that that person will switch to the other tribe and be entirely out of your reach. So what are they left with, a second 55 day season where nobody is particularly willing to do anything for 24 episodes? That doesn't sound great to me.

I agree with this, and the worst part is that this is completely avoidable. In both cases of the tribe swaps at Tribal, the twists would have still been entertaining if the players knew about the twist before going into Tribal. There would still be strategy in deciding who to vote off of your tribe knowing that they were going on to a new tribe; in fact it would be new and exciting strategy that we've never really seen play out before! And similarly, in Episode 13, a Tribal where the Vavau members are pleading their case to Brooke is still exciting, especially if they start throwing others under the bus in the process. But misleading the cast into thinking they are voting someone off until the last possible second has really unfairly backfired in the faces of a lot of the big players this season and will have long term effects on the show.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Terry Glenn posted:

I can't face the individual game without Craig and Phoebe. Don't feel right.
I'm on team Kate and Connor

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

bowmore posted:

I'm on team Kate and Connor
Same. As soon as they did that hand promise I was in. I did it with them from my couch.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lampsacus posted:

Same. As soon as they did that hand promise I was in. I did it with them from my couch.
haha I thought I was the only one

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Together they form half of an interesting person

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
The love for Connor is confusing me, the kid is an absolute idiot.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If there were no twists, Phoebe would have gotten voted out by Conner, Kate, and Sue. Stop pretending otherwise because you're upset.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Met posted:

If there were no twists, Phoebe would have gotten voted out by Conner, Kate, and Sue. Stop pretending otherwise because you're upset.
Not if they still merged at 13.

She was in a great position in her original tribe then got thrown into a bad spot in a swap, outnumbered on a tribe that was picked specifically to lose a bunch - that's one twist that got her. Then that went on for an extremely long time. She survived five Tribal Councils there but they extended it with a stupid kidnap to squeeze out an extra episode - that's a second twist that got her. Doing a tribal with no vote forced her to survive one time too many.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 21, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We don't know Kristie was going home on episode 13. We assume that based on what they showed us prior to Tribal and by what Kate said in the next episode. The show was edited after the fact to tell a particular story and showing Phoebe almost getting voted out but saved by a twist isn't nearly as compelling as Phoebe conspiring against Kristie and then Kristie turning it around on her the next vote.

Regardless, Phoebe had no ties anywhere and not only did Brooke know and shared that Phoebe was devious, but Kate and Conner would have spilled the beans as well.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I'm not against these all these twists, I just think they shouldn't happen at tribal. It's horrible to have someone's awesome move turn bad when the rug is pulled out from under them.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Met posted:

We don't know Kristie was going home on episode 13. We assume that based on what they showed us prior to Tribal and by what Kate said in the next episode. The show was edited after the fact to tell a particular story and showing Phoebe almost getting voted out but saved by a twist isn't nearly as compelling as Phoebe conspiring against Kristie and then Kristie turning it around on her the next vote.

Regardless, Phoebe had no ties anywhere and not only did Brooke know and shared that Phoebe was devious, but Kate and Conner would have spilled the beans as well.

If any of that footage existed, they would have showed it.

There is no reason not to make the Phoebe vs Kristie vote more compelling TV the week before.

And there is no reason not to show Kate and Connor spilling the beans to Brooke.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Met posted:

We assume that based on what they showed us prior to Tribal and by what Kate said in the next episode.
right, and
Kristie: I had a strong feeling I was going home at that fake Tribal
Kate: You're right. You were.

Doesn't seem like editing magic to me

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Kate can say whatever she wants. The editors can make it look like anything.

No matter what actually happened, Phoebe was always screwed in every situation from her own actions.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

No matter what actually happened, Phoebe was always screwed in every situation from her own actions.

Are you implying there are tangible actions that she could have taken that would have saved her bacon?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No, you're right. There's literally nothing she could have done. Absolutely impossible to navigate a social game. :v:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The fix for the poor strategic decisions you're accusing her of is to be a better social player?

Her social game was on point.

Edit: You weren't actually dissing her strategic game, apologies. Regardless, her social game was top notch

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I made some shaky arguments about the edit but you attacked the notion that she could have done something different for better results.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

xcore posted:

Regardless, her social game was top notch

Kristie hasn't been too bright, but Phoebe trying to tell her not to listen to the other two set off her red flags. And that's just the incident that got her voted out.

If you think she couldn't have possibly integrated because she was Aganoa minority with a bunch of Vavaus... then how did Connner manage? He was Sanaapu.

There's always something you can do socially. Her duplicitous actions with Rohan followed her into the new tribe. She knocked out Craig, someone she's managed to successfully work with, rather than someone who would never work with her or contribute to challenges.

There's no argument that she couldn't have done anything and was only a victim of a twist.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Phoebe's goat outplayed her.

Just let that settle in, enjoy your weekend, and break out the popcorn for the merge shenanigans.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Agh. I wish I thought of that phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Stupid opinions infuriate me. :shrug:

• Locked thread