Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cat Mattress posted:

Rahm has solid legs, it's just that they're not rendered anymore.

Mmmm yes, very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Motherfucker posted:

Mmmm yes, very good!

Beat me to the punch.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Poor Rahm. Like, I feel bad for him, but only in the way you might feel kinda bad for Walter White at the end of Breaking Bad while still judging him as a jerk. My initial impression of him was "externally grouchy but actually nice" so it was interesting to see it wasn't a superficial attitude.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Next time on Unsounded: Will Mathis Quigley kill someone?

(Probably.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Poor Quigley. Not only does he owe his life to a filthy rotting zombie, but he has to witness his son run into the arms of said zombies while completely ignoring him. It's hard being an rear end in a top hat.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Roland Jones posted:

(Probably.)

There are at least two wrights in there who can and have kicked his rear end and neither is much interested in seeing him kill Rahm.

But maybe he'll get a lucky shot in, who knows.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Poor Duane, it's hard to deliver eloquent monologues when your jaw is literally coming undone.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

(Probably.)

quigley would like to kill somebody but unfortunately for him he is a vegeta, and therefore he is not allowed to actually do so

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He got to kill those random mooks that one time. I smashed dem good!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

He got to kill those random mooks that one time. I smashed dem good!

I'd almost wonder if he didn't make up that whole incident, except Matty's commented on Quigley having fought his way out with Matty on his back before. Although Matty didn't have Chitz at that point, so he may have not really understood what was going on...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'd almost wonder if he didn't make up that whole incident, except Matty's commented on Quigley having fought his way out with Matty on his back before. Although Matty didn't have Chitz at that point, so he may have not really understood what was going on...

That was a reference to what happened with Quigley's wife died. He hitched his son to his back and went on a suicide march against the army in revenge. He just wasn't expecting all of his enemies to die before he did.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

That was a reference to what happened with Quigley's wife died. He hitched his son to his back and went on a suicide march against the army in revenge. He just wasn't expecting all of his enemies to die before he did.

Right. The point is that this is the only time of that we've been told Quigley got in a fight without getting chumped, and we basically only have his word that it went down that way at all.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I think the thing is that Quigley is a chump and his wife was the more skillful, but he's clearly competent because he's an illegal, unlicensed wright and that poo poo can go bad if you don't know what you're doing. That's all per supplemental material tho that isn't in the comic itself at all and only something I read while trying to remember the aldish castes, because people keep using "plat" as a pejorative despite it being the top in Alderode.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Quigley is the Worf of this comic.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

I think the thing is that Quigley is a chump and his wife was the more skillful, but he's clearly competent because he's an illegal, unlicensed wright and that poo poo can go bad if you don't know what you're doing. That's all per supplemental material tho that isn't in the comic itself at all and only something I read while trying to remember the aldish castes, because people keep using "plat" as a pejorative despite it being the top in Alderode.

Plats are pretty much the bottom of Aldish society if they aren't wrights, or whores. And they live for less than 30 years, jets and coppers seem to be on top of political life. I don't think that Quigley is supposed to be a bad wright. The weather stuff that he does in particular is supposed to be very hard. But Duane is supposed to have been one of the best combat mages in Alderode, those red fingered gloves he had are a big deal according to the author, while Quigley was a mid level magical cop.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Right. The point is that this is the only time of that we've been told Quigley got in a fight without getting chumped, and we basically only have his word that it went down that way at all.

In one of the short stories he takes out some Cescian constructs.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

His wife was better at the more esoteric and theoretical aspects of wrightery, but Quigley seems to be better at the more practical and direct stuff, from what we saw of the details in their conversation about the creation of Uaid.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Plats are holy, its probably a crime to mistreat even the ones that aren't doing the right jobs, but that doesn't necissarily mean they're going to have much pafticular power.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Paramemetic posted:

Yep. Quigley seems like a talented wright who married a brilliant researcher. Problem is he's been dealing with Rahm and Duane, both of which slightly outclass him in the spellcaster side of things.

reignonyourparade posted:

Plats are holy, its probably a crime to mistreat even the ones that aren't doing the right jobs, but that doesn't necissarily mean they're going to have much pafticular power.

I believe it's pretty much exactly like that. Sure plats are holy, and you shouldn't mistreat them. But making important choices about how Alderode is governed. Yah, no you're dead in like 30 years anyway, while the Copper or Jet is going to be around for next 200-400 years.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wasn't the idea behind the plats being holy that "the gods can't bear to be apart from them for long" or whatever? How does that square with uh I forget the name of it, but Duane's pseudo-montheistic/humanistic religion that ~half of the nation follows?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The plats being holy is a consolation prize for being too short-lived to ever become grandparents and also for not being actually taken seriously by the rest of their society at large.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

GunnerJ posted:

Wasn't the idea behind the plats being holy that "the gods can't bear to be apart from them for long" or whatever? How does that square with uh I forget the name of it, but Duane's pseudo-montheistic/humanistic religion that ~half of the nation follows?

The Author's Blog posted:

Anonymous asked: This just occurred to me: if the Gefendur believe Plats die young because the gods love them, what is the Ssaelit belief?

The same. They see the caste system as another remnant of the tyrant Twins’ sadistic rule. Ssael is no tyrant and won’t remake the world without all of Mankind by his side, so they must endure until then. So while a Gefendur adherent might be: “Oh, you lucky Plat, the gods love you best!” a Ssaelit would be more like: “Oh, the gods loved you best, I’m so sorry.”

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

lol awesome.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Holy poo poo, Not every man's blessed with an Iori is such a loving good line I just can't even.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Muddled action scenes aside, this has been a really good chapter.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Drunk Theory posted:

Yep. Quigley seems like a talented wright who married a brilliant researcher. Problem is he's been dealing with Rahm and Duane, both of which slightly outclass him in the spellcaster side of things.

The way I understood it from reading some of the Ask/Tells is that Quigley is pretty badass, but Duane is just about the biggest badass we have seen. Rahm was able to subdue Quigs not exactly because he is better, but more due to being on his home turf in his workshop full of boobytraps, and also not being bad either. Plats apparantly tend to make good natural wrights, but are especially encouraged to do so because they have the longest casting range out of anyone (both for where they cast at and pulling out aspects to cast with) and that makes them particularly handy in as soldiers in Alderodes long standing war with Cresce.

It seems like if Rahm didn't have his traps and bird pymarics, and Quigley had his bug cloak (the swarm), the fight probably would have gone in Quigley's favor. Duane apparantly usually beats anyone unless he is way outnumbered / overly worried about protecting someone / isn't shooting himself in the foot by limiting himself to core techniques and trying to give a fair fight even when his opponents aren't.

Agreed that the chapter has been pretty good other then some of the slightly confusing over packed action sequences. I'm looking forward to seeing some down time and some dialogue to let some of the characters sort misunderstandings and things out. Of course sorting out misunderstandings isn't exactly common in Unsounded it seems. Maybe at least Sette can get a moment to get someone to read those letters from her dad to Stockyard to fill things in a bit.

Also Matty is still the best.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh bother, guess who's back.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

I was just about to post how utterly unexcited I am to see budget joker wax pseudo-philosophic.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Sometimes I worry that with all the Khert shenanigans, Starfish being dead would actually ensure he comes back to bother everyone next time poo poo is going down.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, on the plus side, Duane and Sette have their ride.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Obviously Murkoph is going to possess starfish's dead body and unite the worlds least likable characters into a single satan like entity, plus he is going to become doubly distraught when he finds out he has no junk anymore.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, hey, evidence against Murkoph being Ssael. Nice. Never liked that theory.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Roland Jones posted:

New theory:

Whatever they did to Ssael, they did the same thing to him. Some kind of khert banishing ritual, perhaps?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I hope for the rest of Murkoph's appearances to consist entirely of him being poo poo on by Khert spirits.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What the gently caress is even up with this dude. He came out of nowhere and at first I figured he knew Duane.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

GunnerJ posted:

What the gently caress is even up with this dude. He came out of nowhere and at first I figured he knew Duane.

The author's favorite NPC from the D&D setting she created and DM'd for friends upon which the comic is based, if I understand correctly. She loves him as a character and thinks he's really well written, which is amazing because he's a super shallow sado-sexual edgelord with nothing else to him.

Like this is the first real information being revealed in the comic about him and it's still just "he's a psychokiller badass."

Basically every time he shows up the best thing to do is just :rolleyes: and hope she goes back to the main plot soon and doesn't bring him with.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Honestly I don't think I'd mind as much if he had some kind of pre-existing connection to any of the characters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

GunnerJ posted:

Honestly I don't think I'd mind as much if he had some kind of pre-existing connection to any of the characters.
He's apparently going to end up as a "minion" so I imagine crowboob lady is going to let him loose or something of that nature. And with him being neigh-immortal and psychotic it lets him be a constant nuisance that can't just be dusted in half a second by Duane.

If I recall some off-comic stuff from Ashley, between Duane's natural talents/smarts and his current condition when he's on even footing he's at the level of being able to smoke the best wrights alive. Duane has had some sort of severe handicap for almost every fight he has been in.

Edit: This is the last update for the current year. It's also really fuckin weird.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 23, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Bad luck today friend :(

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I got the impression that this Jack-the-Ripper-alike was a Black Tongue from this part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So the Khert and it's denizens are real weird.