Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
It turns out you can actually stack too much cast time reduction: I gave Toval all but Cast 1 and now it takes 18 delay for him to cast Air Strike, and 21 delay to cast basic support stuff like Curia and Analyze. Only 2 delay to cast the top tier stuff like Shadow Blade and Altair Cannon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Okay then, Falcom, okay, you got me.

Well, that was certainly an ending. Went from :negative: to :staredog: to :psyduck: within just a few minutes. Also, outwitting Ouroboros and even subverting a portion of it? That is, um, rather impressive. And I'm not sure why there were comments a while ago with people being unsure if there'd be a CS3 or if Falcom would move on to the Calvard tales, because it doesn't even REMOTELY feel over.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

...Okay then, Falcom, okay, you got me.

Well, that was certainly an ending. Went from :negative: to :staredog: to :psyduck: within just a few minutes. Also, outwitting Ouroboros and even subverting a portion of it? That is, um, rather impressive. And I'm not sure why there were comments a while ago with people being unsure if there'd be a CS3 or if Falcom would move on to the Calvard tales, because it doesn't even REMOTELY feel over.

CS2 ends in such a way that the characters could end up being important in a future game without it being about them, like how Rean shows up as a villain for Lloyd. Obviously CS3 is what actually ended up happening but I could see someone anticipating it maybe being the birth of groups of NPCs/party members for future games instead.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

We still haven't really hit the point where CS has caught up to the point were Ao's epilogue leaves off, from what I've read. Though the nature of events going forward makes me think we'll be in line for a lot of actual zero/ao spoilers in CS3.

But I'm jumping off this reading ahead train now so I don't end up becoming the next Misawhatever vagueposter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The line you get for winning fights with a Millium/Claire link attack is pretty adorable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really Pants posted:

The line you get for winning fights with a Millium/Claire link attack is pretty adorable.

yeah i wasn't too hot on millium in cold steel 1 (though i didn't hate her like some people do) but she really turned around in cold steel 2. maybe because she actually had characters she was related to and bounced off instead of just being there to explain the plot five minutes before the end of the game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PS3 has been hanging for something like 3 hours now. Think I'm just going to have to redo the final battle and hope it doesn't do so again to get to the post-final battle content. :(

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
SC non-spoiler, unattributed quote: "Despite the whole 'blargh emotional distance, you are my chess pieces' thing, you've been really helping us out." A good translation.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I somehow got Alisa's special reunion scene when I didn't dance with her at all in CS1. It even flashed back to an event that never happened in that save. :psyduck: Did my copy glitch out or something?

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 21, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've heard that you always get Alisa anyway because she's the canon love interest.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I've heard those are actually tied to the character's link level in the first game, but I could be wrong. Though I don't remember getting Alisa's special reunion in this game.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I had everybody at 5 and on my dance list in my carry-over and got Alisha, Laura and Millium with goodbye scene references and Emma and Fie with a dance scene reference. I think it's just from having them on the dance list though could be that the game just always references all of them--I'd have to test an empty dance list carry-over to know for sure though I've heard doing no transfer just gives you Alisha's. Either way, I don't think it's a bug because it was the same for the japanese version and that got patches for bugs but not that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does Toval get any neat special dialogue if you bring him along to Legram?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'd bring Sharon for that section

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah he has some unique dialogue if you bring him along, though I don't think I'd call any of it special.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Finished it, kind of want to do ng+ but people say it's maybe better to wait until after tits 3rd? I've never really wanted to replay any big rpg before this one. Looking forward to probably importing sen 3 like a crazy person hopefully about a year from now

also noticed the first ending movie has a huge delay after it when you watch it through the memories menu too. maybe something weird happened when they replaced the original with this improved one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sharon's healing craft is serving the party tea in the middle of a fight. :allears:

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

CS2 ends in such a way that the characters could end up being important in a future game without it being about them, like how Rean shows up as a villain for Lloyd. Obviously CS3 is what actually ended up happening but I could see someone anticipating it maybe being the birth of groups of NPCs/party members for future games instead.

You may be right but it's seem to me that Rean is being set up as the primary protagonist for the series moving forward. I mean, he's got a Katana, a giant robot and a "mysterious power", the perfect powerset for your typical anime protagonist. I hope not, though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

davidHalestorm posted:

You may be right but it's seem to me that Rean is being set up as the primary protagonist for the series moving forward. I mean, he's got a Katana, a giant robot and a "mysterious power", the perfect powerset for your typical anime protagonist. I hope not, though.

Honestly, the ending of this game makes it seem more like he's being set up as a villain. A sympathetic villain, to be sure, but he's an all-powerful super mode guy with a katana and a giant robot who's working with the evil empire. And the son of the evil chancellor. He's basically Crow now: the honorable antagonist with a super robot. Heck, when you fight him as Lloyd he's one of those numerous boss fights with antagonists who are out of your league, where they just get up at the end as if you've barely scratched them. He's not an underdog anymore.

Plus he splits up with all his friends at the end, making him an angsty loner villain when they're not around to cheer him up.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 21, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rean might be the protagonist of cold steel 3 but there is no way he will be the protagonist of the calvard arc.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Endorph posted:

rean might be the protagonist of cold steel 3 but there is no way he will be the protagonist of the calvard arc.

Yeah, I don't see what would be gained by breaking the established pattern of replacing the protagonist for every new arc. New characters can start from the bottom and grow into heroes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Clarste posted:

Honestly, the ending of this game makes it seem more like he's being set up as a villain. A sympathetic villain, to be sure, but he's an all-powerful super mode guy with a katana and a giant robot who's working with the evil empire. And the son of the evil chancellor. He's basically Crow now: the honorable antagonist with a super robot. Heck, when you fight him as Lloyd he's one of those numerous boss fights with antagonists who are out of your league, where they just get up at the end as if you've barely scratched them. He's not an underdog anymore.

Plus he splits up with all his friends at the end, making him an angsty loner villain when they're not around to cheer him up.

I would've appreciated getting to see the scene of Rean accepting the same offer he turned down on the Pantagruel. Guess they didn't really want to get into any of that.

Oh about the credits again I figured all those pictures were from bonding events I didn't do but apparently they're completely new? That's a super cool thing for Falcom to do.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 21, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

everyone knows olivier is the protagonist of the series as a whole

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

lets hang out posted:

I would've appreciated getting to see the scene of Rean accepting the same offer he turned down on the Pantagruel. Guess they didn't really want to get into any of that.

Oh about the credits again I figured all those pictures were from bonding events I didn't do but apparently they're completely new? That's a super cool thing for Falcom to do.

Some of them are from flashbacks in either CS1 or 2 but theres a few (Laura and her dad, Jusis and Rufus) that were created brand new just for the american version because Hatsuu recommended to Falcom that the first and second endings shouldn't just be the same thing but with different music. As was the case in the original version.

Another notable change Hatsuu implemented which is way better, is that during the game's opening when Rean is remembering his classmates they all say a cool/important character development line from the first game, as opposed to just going "Rean!" like 10 times in a row.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Some of them are from flashbacks in either CS1 or 2 but theres a few (Laura and her dad, Jusis and Rufus) that were created brand new just for the american version because Hatsuu recommended to Falcom that the first and second endings shouldn't just be the same thing but with different music. As was the case in the original version.

Another notable change Hatsuu implemented which is way better, is that during the game's opening when Rean is remembering his classmates they all say a cool/important character development line from the first game, as opposed to just going "Rean!" like 10 times in a row.

How dare those localizers censor the original game! (I really genuinely love XSEED's translation.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

(I really genuinely love XSEED's translation.)

:yeah:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ImpAtom posted:

How dare those localizers censor the original game! (I really genuinely love XSEED's translation.)

Did they add the constant "hehe, haha, hoho, ehehe" that litters the dialogue in these games? Because that's kinda annoying but if it was in the original script then I guess I can forgive them.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

epenthesis posted:

Yeah, I don't see what would be gained by breaking the established pattern of replacing the protagonist for every new arc. New characters can start from the bottom and grow into heroes.

I'm guessing that CS3 is going to do what Trails 3rd did? Setting up the future arcs and characters, which as a lot of people said will take place in Calvard. Also, is Ouroboros actually winning or losing so far? Their plans and motives are so vague.

In Trails FC and SC (spoilers for the whole game) One Anguis got turned into a pillar of salt and they permanently lost 3 Enforcers, Joshua, Renne and Loewe. Not sure about Walter. Zane beat him pretty conclusively but he might still be active

And in CS1 and CS2 (ending spoilers) Vita, another Anguis, got out-smarted by Osborne and injured by Rufus . And their plans seemed to be foiled in Crossbell as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bland posted:

Did they add the constant "hehe, haha, hoho, ehehe" that litters the dialogue in these games? Because that's kinda annoying but if it was in the original script then I guess I can forgive them.
It wasn't really 'in' the original script, but they're replacement for similar Japanese 'awkward noise' or 'that was mildly amusing but not enough for me to properly laugh' type stuff. Like ehhh or mouuu or whatever. if you've ever watched an anime you probably know the kind of conversational filler im talking about.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wrt to David halestroms post

ouroboros' arch goal is to retrieve the septterrions for reasons unknown. Weissmann was salted but campanella retrieved the shining ring along with Weissmanns staff, so that was a net win. no idea how things panned out for them in Crossbell, while the Erebonian part of things is still ongoing but not going great

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

davidHalestorm posted:

I'm guessing that CS3 is going to do what Trails 3rd did? Setting up the future arcs and characters, which as a lot of people said will take place in Calvard. Also, is Ouroboros actually winning or losing so far? Their plans and motives are so vague.

In Trails FC and SC (spoilers for the whole game) One Anguis got turned into a pillar of salt and they permanently lost 3 Enforcers, Joshua, Renne and Loewe. Not sure about Walter. Zane beat him pretty conclusively but he might still be active

And in CS1 and CS2 (ending spoilers) Vita, another Anguis, got out-smarted by Osborne and injured by Rufus . And their plans seemed to be foiled in Crossbell as well.

Seems unlikely. At the end of SC, the plot in Liberl was done. Everything about the local issues was dealt with. Not really the case in CS2.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

davidHalestorm posted:

For SC, minor 3rd spoilers:Walter is confirmed alive during 3rd though he def seems beat to poo poo and if he does return I imagine it would be in Calvard. Luciola however is not in the aftermath scene in 3rd and Walter speculates with Bleublanc over whether she survived or not so it's up in the air.

A thing to remember also is that the big grand crazy schemes Ouroboros get up to(Civil War, Attempted Coup, Flying City, etc...) are almost always misdirects in favor of achieving a much smaller goal(collecting Sept-Terrions with minimal interference.) They definitely succeed at this in SC even if the Liber-Ark is destroyed, and it's too soon to tell in CS2 since the Phantasmal Blaze plan hasn't even reached its conclusion yet. Obviously though Osborne hijacking it is going to lead to some pretty intense retaliation on Ouroboros' part, I imagine.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Be fun if we get to team up with more Ouroboros people in the next game. I want Duvalie on my team.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

For SC, minor 3rd spoilers:Walter is confirmed alive during 3rd though he def seems beat to poo poo and if he does return I imagine it would be in Calvard. Luciola however is not in the aftermath scene in 3rd and Walter speculates with Bleublanc over whether she survived or not so it's up in the air.

A thing to remember also is that the big grand crazy schemes Ouroboros get up to(Civil War, Attempted Coup, Flying City, etc...) are almost always misdirects in favor of achieving a much smaller goal(collecting Sept-Terrions with minimal interference.) They definitely succeed at this in SC even if the Liber-Ark is destroyed, and it's too soon to tell in CS2 since the Phantasmal Blaze plan hasn't even reached its conclusion yet. Obviously though Osborne hijacking it is going to lead to some pretty intense retaliation on Ouroboros' part, I imagine.

Major, major spoilers from the Crossbell games so don't look if you don't want to know.

Luciola is alive and well in Ao, assuming the identity of a fortune teller. You can also hear the faint ringing of her bells in SC, which suggested that her suicide attempt was an illusion.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any recommended party setups vs the supervise cryptids? I'm getting my rear end kicked.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Do you have Fie with nearly 100% Evade? Are you Delaying them as much as possible?

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

What point in the game are you trying to fight them?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Most of them can be cheesed by crescent mirror spamming, also.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Any recommended party setups vs the supervise cryptids? I'm getting my rear end kicked.

Recommended party setup:

Fie: 100% Dodge or as close as possible. Position her all the way in the front. Give her the Scent quartz too.
Rean: As much Delay as possible, spam Arc Slash every round Position in back
Emma: Crescent Shell, then cast attack arts every round she doesn't need to reapply Crescent Shield. Position in the back.
Jusis: Platinum Shield/Noble Command/Refill Rean's CP if he gets low. Position in the back.

You win every fight literally as soon as they appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CS2's book collection is actually...kind of easy so far. It's worrying me. When does the other shoe drop?