Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is this an anime joke? I'm sure I saw my wife watching some bizarre anime like that once.

Yeah

http://chipandironicus.com/videos/anime/5.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

New Firaxis livestream tomorrow.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hot springs should be a natural amenity that shows up and Japan should get a Unique District that can be built on them that retains the bonus and grants extra housing called the "Onsen."

Also volcanoes could also be a unique feature that gives tons of food, faith and science (in later eras) but risk damaging surrounding districts.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

though upon closer look the Baths improvement incorporates an aqueduct.

Here's a better look at it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thermae romae has a pretty decent live action movie if you happen to be interested and dont want to watch a real low budget show

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Hot springs should be a natural amenity that shows up and Japan should get a Unique District that can be built on them that retains the bonus and grants extra housing called the "Onsen."

Also, samurai should be able to cut down forests, because my cousin who knows a lot about swords says that katanas are the best swords and katana masters can cut through a tree trunk with one swing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The White Dragon posted:

He fuckin' was, wasn't he? Like one of the few leaders we've had that anyone, regardless of their political alignments, can agree that was a drat fine fella.

My favorite part so far has got to be the art direction they went with re: leaderheads. It almost looks like claymation puppets, it's good poo poo.

Roosevelt is good on several fronts but he was also very pro-war and very pro-imperialism, even by the standards of his day, so I imagine if you asked someone from say, the Philippines if they thought Roosevelt was a drat fine fella they'd probably say no.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lets get LBJ in civ

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Rexides posted:

Also, samurai should be able to cut down forests, because my cousin who knows a lot about swords says that katanas are the best swords and katana masters can cut through a tree trunk with one swing.

Fun fact about Japan: they nearly did an Easter Island before some leader (I forget which) told everyone to stop chopping trees

(this fun fact isn't very well researched but I have no regrets)

I would love for over-exploitation of natural resources to be a thing in Civ but I guess there's already a few "lump sum now or dribble over a long time" mechanics in the game.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I think Jared Diamond wrote about that in his book Collapse.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Trivia posted:

I think Jared Diamond wrote about that in his book Collapse.
Medieval Iceland also pulled their poo poo together with draconian environmental decrees, and managed to survive -despite- deforesting the entire island. There are some fascinating chapters Bout that in the same book.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Red Bones posted:

Roosevelt is good on several fronts but he was also very pro-war and very pro-imperialism, even by the standards of his day, so I imagine if you asked someone from say, the Philippines if they thought Roosevelt was a drat fine fella they'd probably say no.
He also ordered the imprisonment over 100 000 American citizens in internment camps, so they might not have been very pleased either.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Poil posted:

He also ordered the imprisonment over 100 000 American citizens in internment camps, so they might not have been very pleased either.

Different Roosevelt.

I don't think there's any non-controversial American president other Washington though. And that's just because the man is practically a god in American culture.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hopeandjoy posted:

Different Roosevelt.

I don't think there's any non-controversial American president other Washington though. And that's just because the man is practically a god in American culture.

Even then, Thomas Jefferson's party basically accused him of being senile during his re-election

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

IDK, I think America should get the same treatment everybody else gets and they should have some person who either didn't exist or was never a leader to represent America. Like Johnny Appleseed or something

E: Or maybe just replace every civ with America under a different president
Emperor Norton

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Red Bones posted:

Nah, he's cool. We're more annoyed at McArthur from what I gathered in grade school.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Different Roosevelt.
There's more than one with that name? :confused:

At least all our inbred kings has had the sense to add a number after their names for clarification over here. :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Poil posted:

At least all our inbred kings has had the sense to add a number after their names for clarification over here. :argh:

The different first names usually tip me off.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Davincie posted:

lets get LBJ in civ

I can picture the diplomacy screen having him leaning way up in your face

And he'll pull his dick out when he denounces you

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Poil posted:

You know both of the recent President Bushs are different people right? Hell, they are even father and son! The Roosevelts were fairly distant cousins I think.

We may say we hate lineages but we have a few of our own.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Teddy and Franklin, and they were a generation apart. Teddy came first, a bit before WW1, then Franklin was the one that got us out of the Great Depression (by getting us into WW2).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Poil posted:

Yeah but all of yours have the same last name

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Krowley posted:

I can picture the diplomacy screen having him leaning way up in your face

And he'll pull his dick out when he denounces you

Y'know, it always bothered me in diplomacy when leaderheads would loving SLAP YOU. All the poo poo-talk was bad enough, but an actual slap in the face during a simple trade negotiation wouldn't go down very well.

More than once, I eliminated Catherine the Great from the surface of the earth for having the audacity.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for the clarifications guys. I am now slightly less ignorant. :)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Theodore "Don't call me Teddy" Roosevelt was the guy with the mustache and tiny glasses who coined the phrase "speak softly and carry a big stick." He liked hunting quite a lot and was one of the biggest environmental conservationists of his day (because he didn't want the animals he liked to hunt to go extinct). The doll known as the Teddy Bear was named after him because they were used to promote awareness of bears. Before he was president he did some military reserve service and was quite a tough customer despite his weight; he was built like a drat sumo wrestler. During the Spanish-American war he formed a group of elite badasses known as the Rough Riders. He once was shot during a speech and was such a tough guy he continued delivering the speech. He also mediated a treaty between Russia and Japan to end the war between them.

Franklin Delanore Roosevelt, on the other hand, was the older wheelchair guy who was elected president for four terms, which is a loving LOT of terms (after him they made it unconstitutional to run for more than two terms). He was a distant cousin of Teddy, but was a very different guy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Speedball posted:

He once was shot during a speech and was such a tough guy he continued delivering the speech.
Ok, now I would also like to make a public apology for getting them mixed up to such a degree. :stare:

Related to avoid further confusion:
Teddy Rosevelt charged up San Juan Hill

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 21, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Speedball posted:

He once was shot during a speech and was such a tough guy he continued delivering the speech.
And basically smacktalked the guy what shot him, too, in a way that only TR could.

Teddy Roosevelt posted:

Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don’t know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot—but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
He also fought Scrooge McDuck.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Speedball posted:

Flagrant Abuse posted:

And basically smacktalked the guy what shot him, too, in a way that only TR could.

Yeah I googled this and read the first article about it that come up. If any of that is true it's pretty awesome.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why did they shoot him? Wasnt he a very popular president with the people and enemy of the banks?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

TR is the only US President to kill a cougar with a knife.

Jastiger posted:

Why did they shoot him? Wasnt he a very popular president with the people and enemy of the banks?

Dude was literally crazy. "Schrank maintained, later, that he had nothing against the man himself, and he did not intend to kill 'the citizen Roosevelt', but rather 'Roosevelt, the third-termer.' He claimed to have shot Roosevelt as a warning to other third-termers, and that it was the ghost of William McKinley {President before TR} that told him to perform the act."

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah I googled this and read the first article about it that come up. If any of that is true it's pretty awesome.

There's a nice image on Wikipedia of the glasses case the bullet passed through.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

While we're on TR, he's also the only man in ever to have received The Congressional Medal of Honor and The Nobel Peace Prize. And he kind of deserved both of them.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
If America gets two more leaders in DLC, it will be Washington and Lincoln.

Speaking of new leaders in DLC though, they're got some pretty big names with which to advertise DLC; Washington, Napoleon, and Alexander are all highly probably to show up again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Proposition Joe posted:

If America gets two more leaders in DLC, it will be Washington and Lincoln.

Speaking of new leaders in DLC though, they're got some pretty big names with which to advertise DLC; Washington, Napoleon, and Alexander are all highly probably to show up again.

Elizabeth for England seems a shoe-in as well, this is the first game in the series she's sat out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Red Bones posted:

Oh you know that's true, I hadn't thought of that. Internment camps also weren't implemented in the same way that they were in the continental US, so he tends to be remembered much more fondly by the Japanese community there. And then it was the other Roosevelt who strongly opposed Hawaiian statehood and was in favor of restoring the independent republic :v:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cythereal posted:

Elizabeth for England seems a shoe-in as well, this is the first game in the series she's sat out.

I want goddamned Alfred. :black101:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

I want goddamned Alfred. :black101:

My play style demands Æthelred :(

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Emperor Norton

This would actually be really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do think it's kind of astonishing that Charlemagne has only made it into civ once. I guess Europe is already over-represented but just like, remove France or Germany to make room.