Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Proposition Joe posted:

If America gets two more leaders in DLC, it will be Washington and Lincoln.

Speaking of new leaders in DLC though, they're got some pretty big names with which to advertise DLC; Washington, Napoleon, and Alexander are all highly probably to show up again.

Jefferson or Franklin (I know, not a president) should get a turn. Enlightenment thinker presidents ftw.

FDR or Wilson could get a turn if there's a real demand for a wartime president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xelkelvos posted:

Jefferson or Franklin (I know, not a president) should get a turn. Enlightenment thinker presidents ftw.

FDR or Wilson could get a turn if there's a real demand for a wartime president

Truman for the outside bet?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
No. The only American leader civ needs is Richard Nixon. His personality essentially embodies America at the height of its superpower status. :nixon:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Xelkelvos posted:

i yearn for the post-legalization america civ, where washington's ua is all about his love of the hemp

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I do think it's kind of astonishing that Charlemagne has only made it into civ once. I guess Europe is already over-represented but just like, remove France or Germany to make room.
I wonder if the framework they have in their new engine allows a Leader to be chosen for multiple Civs outside of Unrestricted Leaders.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I keep hoping Rani Lakshmibai will be added as a warrior's alternative to Gandhi for India but I'd be shocked if it ever actually happened :(

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I keep hoping Chandragupta will be added as a warrior's alternative to Gandhi for India but I'd be shocked if it ever actually happened :(

fixed that for you

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I do not understand the demand to put dumbdick Harry rear end Truman in the game.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Hogama posted:

I wonder if the framework they have in their new engine allows a Leader to be chosen for multiple Civs outside of Unrestricted Leaders.

I imagine that it would be far too hard to balance leaders for all the civs, but maybe it would be possible to balance a leader for only two?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I keep hoping Rani Lakshmibai will be added as a warrior's alternative to Gandhi for India but I'd be shocked if it ever actually happened :(

Shah Jahan would also be a good ruler, dude commissioned two of the wonders in civ v and hasn't been in a single game. Or I mean, gently caress, anybody other than Gandhi.

I'd even take the other Gandhi over this Gandhi, she fits in with the interesting leaders with big personalities and also actually loving lead India.

E: or we could just go the other way and just make Alexander Hamilton the leader of America, which I'm sure will be done in mods

Jump King fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 22, 2016

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

I do not understand the demand to put dumbdick Harry rear end Truman in the game.

Had he not decided to intervene in the Korean War, we might never have had K-pop.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

cheetah7071 posted:

I do think it's kind of astonishing that Charlemagne has only made it into civ once. I guess Europe is already over-represented but just like, remove France or Germany to make room.

given Barbarossa's Germany that's basically a half-step removed from having Charlemagne being the leader of Germany

that of course is encroaching upon 'Kamehameha of Polynesia' but, well

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Proposition Joe posted:

I'd much rather have Lyndon Big Dick Johnson. UA could be "Let's kill some people" and allows strategic bombing without declaration of war

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

I'd much rather have Lyndon Big Dick Johnson. UA could be "Let's kill some people" and allows strategic bombing without declaration of war

George Bush Jr. with the UA of being able to create false Casus Belli

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

Had he not decided to intervene in the Korean War, we might never have had K-pop.
Truly, this is America's greatest gift to the world.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I haven't had a chance to look at the video yet. How do legions build roads? One tile at a time? Isn't that really powerful, given that no other faction can build roads without trade routes?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Krazyface posted:

I haven't had a chance to look at the video yet. How do legions build roads? One tile at a time? Isn't that really powerful, given that no other faction can build roads without trade routes?

Yeah, one at a time. They have build charges just like builders, but we don't know how many they start with.

It's going to be badass to build a city on the frontier, have it automatically connect to Rome, and then use those roads to move your army of legions to that frontier city and have them build a road to your target.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Legions could build roads in Civ V too, though it worked slightly differently.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Speedball posted:

Legions could build roads in Civ V too, though it worked slightly differently.

Yeah, improvements took time, and it was better just to have workers build war roads while being protected by legions. I feel like VI legions are a fixed implementation of the good idea they had in V. Instant building forts with legions is going to be cool too. Being next to Rome is going to suck.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Krazyface posted:

They've implied that there's another unit called a Civil Engineer that will handle building roads manually. But they're more expensive/high tech than builders.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, there's an engineer unit that also builds roads and forts, but the video implies that they're available later than Legions.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

Yeah, there's an engineer unit that also builds roads and forts, but the video implies that they're available later than Legions.

Military Engineers are unlocked at, prosaically enough, Military Engineering in the Medieval Era.
Legions are unlocked at Iron Working in the Classical Era.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Human Crouton posted:

Being next to Rome is going to suck.

Just like how it used to be.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Omnicarus posted:

berenzen posted:

George Bush Jr. with the UA of being able to create false Casus Belli

nice try, both of these UAs could belong to any one of our presidents

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Reagan — Reaganomics: Extra unhappiness from city size, but 25% more gold from buildings. :v:

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Speedball posted:

Theodore "Don't call me Teddy" Roosevelt was the guy with the mustache and tiny glasses who coined the phrase "speak softly and carry a big stick." He liked hunting quite a lot and was one of the biggest environmental conservationists of his day (because he didn't want the animals he liked to hunt to go extinct). The doll known as the Teddy Bear was named after him because they were used to promote awareness of bears. Before he was president he did some military reserve service and was quite a tough customer despite his weight; he was built like a drat sumo wrestler. During the Spanish-American war he formed a group of elite badasses known as the Rough Riders. He once was shot during a speech and was such a tough guy he continued delivering the speech. He also mediated a treaty between Russia and Japan to end the war between them.

Franklin Delanore Roosevelt, on the other hand, was the older wheelchair guy who was elected president for four terms, which is a loving LOT of terms (after him they made it unconstitutional to run for more than two terms). He was a distant cousin of Teddy, but was a very different guy.

I always assumed he was the same guy ... was a much more interesting story that way, total badass that later ends up in a wheelchair, but its hidden and he is still a badass.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

limp_cheese posted:

You know both of the recent President Bushs are different people right? Hell, they are even father and son! The Roosevelts were fairly distant cousins I think.

Theodore was Franklin's fifth cousin, but also his uncle-in-law through Eleanor.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Of Dutch ancestry, so I suggest Martin van Buren as the other American leader.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

MonikaTSarn posted:

I always assumed he was the same guy ... was a much more interesting story that way, total badass that later ends up in a wheelchair, but its hidden and he is still a badass.

As a kid Teddy was quite sickly and the doctors told his parents he would be lucky to make it to adulthood. He had SEVERE asthma and something else I think that made it hard for him to walk. I'm pretty sure he used crutches most of his childhood. He was just that much of a badass that through pure strength of will he forced his body to get over his injuries and became extremely active. He also had countless papers published in nature and history journals. The first paper was written and published when he was a teenager.

Theodore Roosevelt is no loving joke.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly the unironic roo rah about Teddy in this thread is a little off putting

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Honestly the unironic roo rah about Teddy in this thread is a little off putting

So post unironic roo rah about Lincoln or Washington, then. Or another President.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The guy was a legit badass who was responsible for the idea of National Parks and finished his hour and a half speech after taking a bullet PLUS is one of the few Republican Presidents who wasn't a scumbag. There's a lot to be "roo rah" about.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I get it you're American.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I get it you're American.

Like all American presidents, Teddy had his good points and his bad points, and his historical legacy is mixed - especially in the Philippines, Caribbean, and Central America. He's still a distinctive historical personality and a historically important leader, fitting as America in Civ 6 seems to be based on the turn of the century period.

Now if Firaxis had picked, say, Andrew Jackson, there would be a lot more griping from Americans probably.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm just being a dick here, teddy seems like a cool pick for leader but it's just weird how many people apparently want to gently caress him.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Reminder that they're just getting started streaming.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm just being a dick here, teddy seems like a cool pick for leader but it's just weird how many people apparently want to gently caress him.

(Source)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'll be in my bunk

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Teddy get your Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix