Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

She can carry my big stick any day

Rough Rider? I hardly know 'er!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

IcePhoenix posted:

She can carry my big stick any day

I'd ride her rough.

e: ^ bah :mad: (but yours was way better)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

In this stream they are explaining amenities and luxuries.

Oh my god am I glad global happiness is gone. That was the absolute worst part of Civ V for me.

In Civ VI each luxury gives 4 amenities (which I wish they'd just call happiness), that get distributed around your cities. So if you have four or less cities you get one happiness for each luxury like before, but if you have more than that they'll start dividing up your luxuries. It seems like a kind of natural penalty for going wide where you need more luxuries to reach the same happiness.

That feels so much better than global happiness.

They also mentioned that happiness is important as a growth limiter as you need three population for every district, so you can really build up a large city more than a small one. Though they mentioned you can't manually distribute luxury amenities, so you can't like neglect the provinces to make a massive core.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's over now!

Legions have 1 charge for building, but of course do not vanish once they've expended that charge.

Mvemba a Nzinga cannot win a Religious Victory; you have to found your own religion, just controlling the holy city isn't enough.

Cultural victories are based on total tourists visiting your nation, so you don't necessarily have to win over each individual civ as long as you can make up the difference with others.

Neighborhoods give more Housing on high Appeal tiles.

Having Amenities over the required number boosts a city's Growth and Yields.

Trading Posts extend trading range (so Rome can make longer Trade Routes from the get-go).

The Heavy Cavalry line (which includes Tanks) ignores Zone of Control as a unit feature, Ranged units like Archers exert no Zone of Control.

Unique Units generally do not require Strategic Resources.

A Corps is roughly equivalent to an Era advance; 70 combat strength Infantry can combine into an 80 combat strength Corps. (Presumably an Army is an additional step.)

A Great General attached to a unit gives an extra movement point in addition to the combat bonus it radiates.

Populations are tracked and non-native citizens suffer higher War Weariness penalties.

Also, Twitch is saved if you want to catch up before Youtube processing.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 22, 2016

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

These both look like big changes that will make 1UPT battles potentially more interesting.

Hogama posted:

The Heavy Cavalry line (which includes Tanks) ignores Zone of Control as a unit feature, Ranged units like Archers exert no Zone of Control.

A Corps is roughly equivalent to an Era advance; 70 combat strength Infantry can combine into an 80 combat strength Corps. (Presumably an Army is an additional step.)

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

The Human Crouton posted:

Yeah, one at a time. They have build charges just like builders, but we don't know how many they start with.

It's going to be badass to build a city on the frontier, have it automatically connect to Rome, and then use those roads to move your army of legions to that frontier city and have them build a road to your target.

That sounds pretty awesome. I like playing Rome in these games but it felt kinda lackluster in 5.

Sol Invictus Mr Ghandi!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hogama posted:

Populations are tracked and non-native citizens suffer higher War Weariness penalties.

I really like this because it leaves the door open to things like revolutions, city flipping and other things that can be fleshed out in an expansion to make the late game less static.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

War weariness is dumb unless it works like in Charlemange for Atilla:TW.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

War weariness is dumb unless it works like in Charlemange for Atilla:TW.

Without it you get 4000 year stalemate wars.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Without it you get 4000 year stalemate wars.

You get 4000 year stalemate wars because of the obstinate AI never accepting peace.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baron Porkface posted:

You get 4000 year stalemate wars because of the obstinate AI never accepting peace.

Which in turn is because they don't have sufficient problems with being at war to make them accept peace. Which brings us right back to war weariness.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Gort posted:

Which in turn is because they don't have sufficient problems with being at war to make them accept peace. Which brings us right back to war weariness.

The AI is almost certainly going to get massive difficulty happiness bonuses so it will only hurt Humans, just like the cultural pressure mechanic in BNW.

If not, the A.I will be unable to recognize that happiness is killing them because this is just one of those mechanics that A.I. does not know how to balance.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Nevermind, was wrong because I wasn't quite paying attention. Stream was good, Rome looks fun.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I really like this because it leaves the door open to things like revolutions, city flipping and other things that can be fleshed out in an expansion to make the late game less static.

Not to mention it makes for some nice storytelling, I want my empire to be a melting pot :allears: I hope there's some migration simulated behind the numbers. Would be fun to brain-drain other peoples' empires

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

OfChristandMen posted:

Nevermind, was wrong because I wasn't quite paying attention. Stream was good, Rome looks fun.

I caught what you said and it made me think that it would be pretty cool if different great generals imparted different bonuses and abilities on their nearby troops, rather than just a flat combat bonus

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I caught what you said and it made me think that it would be pretty cool if different great generals imparted different bonuses and abilities on their nearby troops, rather than just a flat combat bonus

Agreed, but the movement bonus seems significantly more powerful now that you can't just move any terrain with your last point of movement. Extra movement seems great for outflanking opponents, and manuevering around combat terrain.

What struck me most is that you don't need a unit to occupy every tile around the city only exert zone of control around every immediate city tile to prevent a city from healing.

Ranged units don't exert ZoC, and Heavy Mounted units (Hvy Chariot, Knight, Tank) ignore it.

The devs were also much more excited about taking a city without walls, and it seems like they're much more important because of that ranged strike.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Tanks ignoring ZoC was the funnest feature in picking Autocracy in Civ V and I'm glad they made it a thing again. Well, Gunboat Diplomacy was pretty great also.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

Tanks ignoring ZoC was the funnest feature in picking Autocracy in Civ V and I'm glad they made it a thing again. Well, Gunboat Diplomacy was pretty great also.

Parking your intimidating military forces next to city-states so they'd give you all their stuff was pretty great.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Youtube's up if you needed that, I suppose.

Curious if they removed the adjacency prohibition on the Kurgans or not.

Kongo's Mbanza apparently have a lower theoretical max Housing bonus , but coming earlier in the game and always being +5 Housing regardless of Appeal, they'll still be pretty good at growth.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Not to mention it makes for some nice storytelling, I want my empire to be a melting pot :allears: I hope there's some migration simulated behind the numbers. Would be fun to brain-drain other peoples' empires
It doesn't seem to be all that robust. It's not like Civ III where you had citizens with different cultures, it's just "Did you found this city, y/n?" and if you didn't they're more likely to get grumpy. Or citizens in cities you founded are more blindly patriotic and will put up with more poo poo, if you want to put it that way.

Though, thinking about it some more, even that doesn't offer up much in terms of regional distinction when you consider how luxuries are automatically distributed. In their example Kongo setup there was one Norse city that had a pretty big warmonger penalty (for a war with Japan), and so it was getting a ton of luxuries.

In other words if you have a big enough empire with enough luxuries, a single really sad city won't actually be individually sad, but luxury amenities will be drawn from everywhere else, lowering happiness in all of your cities to maintain it in the trouble making city.

In other words universal happiness is back! :(

But honestly, even if it has the same effect in large empires, at least there's a sensible mechanic behind it so it doesn't feel as bad. Also in civilizations going tall (4 cities or less) there won't be any distribution of luxuries and happiness will be totally local. But for large empires, a newly conquered city will still make your capital miserable as all your tea and jade gets shipped out to placate the newly conquered whiners.

I guess there are some interesting implications still- like if you only have six different luxuries the maximum a whiny city can be boosted is just six total, and those six will be evenly taken from your empire's happiest cities rather than dragging your whole empire down if there's a net negative, and you'll never lose the effect of building happiness in cities that have happiness buildings.

Well, however it works out I'm glad they're tracking things in a more interesting way than Civ V.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I haven't been following the updates about this game beyond this thread to be honest, and I have to say- the art direction for this game is truly fantastic. I was a little offput by Teddy Taft when I first saw it, but everything I've seen since just screams visual polish. The only thing I might have done differently, which modders will likely do, is scale down the tile improvements and units. It's very big and easily readable which is great for gameplay, but a wonder the size of a capital city is a little goofy looking. That is a very superficial aesthetic preference though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So I haven't really been watching the streams or anything, is the combat gonna be Civ 5 style or Endless Legend style? Because I'm really excited for this poo poo but I will stop being excited if it's that AI-commanding wargame clusterfuck like the latter was.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The White Dragon posted:

So I haven't really been watching the streams or anything, is the combat gonna be Civ 5 style or Endless Legend style? Because I'm really excited for this poo poo but I will stop being excited if it's that AI-commanding wargame clusterfuck like the latter was.

Civ V.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Like Civ 5, but with significant changes. Tile movement costs are now to enter, not to leave, you can combine units to make a slightly more powerful version, ranged units do not project zone of control, tanks and heavy cav ignore it, and things like AT guns aren't individual units, they attach to line units to give them extra abilities.

Essentially less spread out, slower to move, and stackable in specific ways, no off-map battles though, combat takes place on the map as civ 5.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Hogama posted:

I'm gonna lose games over this poo poo right here.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

JVNO posted:

I haven't been following the updates about this game beyond this thread to be honest, and I have to say- the art direction for this game is truly fantastic. I was a little offput by Teddy Taft when I first saw it, but everything I've seen since just screams visual polish. The only thing I might have done differently, which modders will likely do, is scale down the tile improvements and units. It's very big and easily readable which is great for gameplay, but a wonder the size of a capital city is a little goofy looking. That is a very superficial aesthetic preference though.

Aside from Fat Teddy, the only thing I don't like about the game's look thus far is 3D modeled Wonders instead of painting.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Hogama posted:

Mvemba a Nzinga cannot win a Religious Victory; you have to found your own religion, just controlling the holy city isn't enough.

this is pretty lame, actually. i hope they do something about this since it kind of sucks that you literally are just blocked from a certain victory type as this civ...whose leader UA is rather powerful for spreading religion since you basically get a free religion-spreader whenever you make your unique district.

i think there should be a way to become the functional founder of a religion you've adopted. like, if you conquer a holy city and make peace, and if the religion in question is a majority (if not more) of your citizens, and perhaps additional requirements like generating more faith per turn than the original founder or being in a golden age or something, then there should be a big project you can build in that holy city that turns you into the founder (but if the actual founder reconquers the city they should probably automatically regain that status). it seems simple and sensible to me, and it'd be much more interesting for Kongo to be such fervent and devout converts that they end up being the real authority of that religion and launching it to greater heights than its founders, instead of Kongo being such fervent and devout converts that they literally cannot become the world's religious authority no matter what

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Get over it people geez. They released a civ who couldn't settle nor annex cities and it turned out to be just fine.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Serephina posted:

Get over it people geez. They released a civ who couldn't settle nor annex cities and it turned out to be just fine.

Well seeing as Venice is banned in multiplayer (literally removed from the no quitters MP balance mod) and significantly changed in CBP I am not sure that is true

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm fairly confident that religious victory will be like culture victory where it's just a gimmick win anyway.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
What's gimmick about a culture victory? (Not that I expect religious victory to be any good, mind... )

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Why is Venice banned from multiplayer?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Probably because it's terribly weak if it has a bad start, and overwhelmingly powerful if it doesn't.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am a bit confused. Does possessing copies of the same luxury provide additional amenities, or does it work like previous games?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

John F Bennett posted:

Because your immediate neighbours get more space than other players

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Brannock posted:

Aside from Fat Teddy, the only thing I don't like about the game's look thus far is 3D modeled Wonders instead of painting.

You know they changed that model right?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The White Dragon posted:

Probably because it's terribly weak if it has a bad start, and overwhelmingly powerful if it doesn't.

venice is never powerful

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

John F Bennett posted:

Embargo Venice -> Embargo City States

Always the first two congress votes passed if a Venice player is doing well, and utterly cripples them.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Oh, I see. I don't play multiplayer but this is a big reason why I always play without the World Congress. Stuff like the AI banning luxuries .

World Congress is not in CIV VI, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Can't get over how lovely the art design is, both 2D and 3D wise... :stare: