Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ToxicFrog posted:

It's only been tested on Linux. It might work on OSX if you install the dependencies. The closed caption support definitely only works on linux, since it relies on LD_LIBRARY_PATH trickery, but if OSX has an equivalent it would probably work there too with only minor changes to the server code.

It almost certainly won't work on Windows unless you run it in cygwin. It requires less, nano, ttyplay, ttytime, and reset, and it needs to be able to create symlinks.

If you want to try it out, you can download it from github; the bulk of the server is in Python, although you'll need a C compiler if you want to try the closed captions too.

Alright cool, I'll take a look at the code sometime soon and see if I can make sense of things :) Thanks for the info.

The web client seems to work pretty well! Two things I noticed:

1) When loading the client up it complains about the terminal being too small to fully display DoomRL
2) After dying on my short suicide run, the screen didn't refresh, leaving the login prompt overlaid on the high score list

This is a cool project, I hope the server does well! I'll certainly be playing when I have time.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's a matter of stated intent and player expectations. IVAN explicitly wants you to die and considers any kind of victory to be a fluke, so if you play IVAN, you're buying into that antagonistic relationship with the game. Whereas NetHack is ostensibly a "reasonable" game that happens to be extremely hostile to newbies (generously defined as "anyone who has not read copious amounts of spoilers").

I mean, I'd get pissy too if I tried to play what I thought was Super Mario Bros. but actually turned out to be Super Meat Boy. There's nothing wrong with Super Meat Boy, but if you go into it thinking you're going to have a classic Nintendo-style platformer, you're going to get obliterated. And frustrated.

Who's downloading Nethack and not expecting something difficult? The Nethack website itself advises caution in the second sentence of its intro to the game: ' the emphasis in NetHack is on discovering the detail of the dungeon and not simply killing everything in sight - in fact, killing everything in sight is a good way to die quickly'. And any Google search on the game will turn up page after page of discussion on how difficult the game is, sharing spoilers and ascension tips, etc.

OK then, so much for that conversation

On the topic of more old games that are good, there's an SDL port of Rogue I liked that I thought had disappeared from the internet, but apparently it's available here: https://sites.google.com/site/donnierussellii/rogue

He's also done ports of Moria, Hack and Larn. It's been fun trying them to get a bit of a roguelike history injection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

thorsilver posted:

Alright cool, I'll take a look at the code sometime soon and see if I can make sense of things :) Thanks for the info.

I'm currently in the process of some major refactoring and bugfixing that should remove the dependencies on reset and the ttyrec suite, if that helps any.

Also in the pipeline: automatic ttyrec playback in the browser (as in, click a ttyrec link, start playback immediately with a download link at the bottom) and, longer term, a nice ttyrec playback interface that supports seeking and stuff.

quote:

The web client seems to work pretty well! Two things I noticed:

1) When loading the client up it complains about the terminal being too small to fully display DoomRL
2) After dying on my short suicide run, the screen didn't refresh, leaving the login prompt overlaid on the high score list

Both of these are known issues, and the second one is fixed in my dev branch. The first one is due to the web terminal not properly reporting its size when asked. The size warning needs a bit of a rework anyways, since it's hard-coded to assume 80x25 and that's not valid if you're playing with closed captions on (which is now the default).

quote:

This is a cool project, I hope the server does well! I'll certainly be playing when I have time.

Thanks! :) Keep the feedback coming.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thorsilver posted:

Who's downloading Nethack and not expecting something difficult? The Nethack website itself advises caution in the second sentence of its intro to the game: ' the emphasis in NetHack is on discovering the detail of the dungeon and not simply killing everything in sight - in fact, killing everything in sight is a good way to die quickly'. And any Google search on the game will turn up page after page of discussion on how difficult the game is, sharing spoilers and ascension tips, etc.

Yeah, this, basically. I don't really see a huge difference between, say, Nethack and Crawl in this regard - when I play Crawl, I die a lot because I don't really know what the hell I'm doing. In fact, comparing Nethack and Crawl, I've had a much higher percentage of games that end on the first few floors in Crawl. If I played the game more or read spoilers, I would improve due to my knowledge. The command set in Crawl is more restricted, but that's a matter of streamlining and different emphasis, not a totally different game design. There are aspects of Nethack that are really dumb - Elbereth comes to mind, the combat should have just been balanced such that players were always effectively as strong as they are when standing on Elbereth - but even those tend to be due to overly ambitious design rather than fundamentally flawed design.

Nethack is not a bad game, it just emphasizes different parts of Rogue's design than what most roguelikes have focused on. This has always been what made it stand out from the crowd - ADOM is similar in that regard. Most roguelikes, especially recently, are combat focused due to being conceptually descended more from Moria/Angband or Crawl. For a game that focuses on combat system mastery, of course a complicated ID game and lots of monsters and objects having unique quirks that you have to remember specifically is undesirable - it detracts from the main point of the game. Rogue, though, had both of those things, and for better or for worse Nethack's emphasis is on mastering item manipulation and gaining knowledge about what you need to beat the game, then using that aggressively through player-knowledge-dependent tools like wishing and genocide scrolls. I do understand not liking it (I moved on to other roguelikes for a reason after I ascended a couple of times) but it certainly achieves what it sets out to do.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So, I'm looking for some ADOM advice.

I've been dicking around splatting a dozen or so characters, not getting much further than the village dungeon. Been fun so far, so I decided I've enjoyed it enough to buy it on Steam. Now, I'm looking to go the next step. Is this a game best learned by trial and error or should I read the wiki or the guide? Also, can anyone recommend a good beginner character and some basic steps to get to the mid game. Sort of like MiBe, Axes to 12 then armour/fighting/evo in crawl?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's a lot of different things you can do in the early game in ADOM but one safe bet is getting the Healing skill ASAP since it's really good. There are a bunch of different starts with various levels of difficulty. Safe but boring is getting some food in Terinyo and then heading to the infinite dungeon to grind out a few levels since the danger level is manageable and the very very early game is often the most lethal.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

IVAN is a game that can make beating the first dungeon seem like a great accomplishment.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Regarding ADOM something I tend to try is get to the SMC as soon as possible and then leave after entering. This saves all the monsters at level 1 spawns for you to come back later after getting healing/getting high enough levelled. The Infinite Dungeon can be scumed for armor if you're willing to do so.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Unimpressed posted:

I've been dicking around splatting a dozen or so characters, not getting much further than the village dungeon. Been fun so far, so I decided I've enjoyed it enough to buy it on Steam. Now, I'm looking to go the next step. Is this a game best learned by trial and error or should I read the wiki or the guide? Also, can anyone recommend a good beginner character and some basic steps to get to the mid game. Sort of like MiBe, Axes to 12 then armour/fighting/evo in crawl?

ADOM is a long game with many very difficult set-piece encounters, some which of have instakills. There are also several fairly obscure ways of improving your character and gaining powerful equipment. Without knowing the tricks, it's possible for some characters to reach maximum level, and still be too weak to deal with all the crap thrown at them by the endgame. It's possible to win without spoilers, of course, but the game is very challenging even fully spoiled.

Troll characters are strong at the beginning because of their high hp and regeneration. The drawback is that they need more experience to level. A Troll Healer is still a good combo for exploring the early game without being constantly killed by random mooks and acid traps.

Don't kick down locked doors, btw. The door traps are horrifying and will both kill you and destroy all the equipment you need to live.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pushed a bunch of small fixes to the server this morning:

• [www] Clean up formatting on /players
  • [www] Don't display players who have never played any games
  • [www-tty] Properly report tty size in javascript telnet client (fixes warning about 0x0 terminal)
  • [tty] Differentiate warning between "too small" and "couldn't detect"
  • [tty] Use RIS DECSTR to clear screen instead of reset(1) (fixes screen not clearing in the web-tty)

In addition to these user-facing fixes, I've done a bunch of refactoring on how commands are implemented, and switched to an internal implementation of ttytime(1), which removes another external dependency.

Next on the docket is probably click-to-replay support (as in, click a TTYrec in the website and it'll automatically play it in the browser rather than offering to download it), followed by better replay support in general (an OSD and limited seek support).

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Unimpressed posted:

I love ADOM, despite it's many flaws. While I personally recommend maximum spoilage to avoid the more bullshit aspects of the game, here are some basic tips:

- Dark elf beastfighter, high elf monk, and almost any race/duelist are good starting backgrounds. They all have great skills, including healing, and great class abilities. I love elves in ADOM, but recommend the candle star sign to make up for the lower initial toughness.

- Here's my typical start for the game [some spoilers here]: do the carpenter dungeon, then the puppy dungeon, then kill the outlaw chief after getting the quest from the sheriff (by this point you usually have a couple of wands and I just zap him with something until I get a damage wand). After that, off to the Caverns of Chaos in the west (the main dungeon of the game). Although the druid dungeon is in some ways a better choice for a class that already has healing, the carpenter dungeon is more beginner friendly.

- Precrowning is a great way for a beginner to get an early power boost and make it to the mid game. Here's an explanation of the mechanics of precrowning: http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Precrowning Basically you need to be at least level 8, provided no artifacts have generated yet (it's +3 per generated artifact, so if you happened to already find one, you'd have to wait til level 11). A lot of people find it to be tedious grinding, and it is, but these days I can precrown in about 20 minutes when the conditions are right. What I'm looking for is a neutral or lawful altar either on the 4th floor or lower of the puppy cave, or 4th floor or lower of the village dungeon (if it's on too early a floor, the monsters that spawn are too weak to make for quick precrowning). Sacrifice a bunch of monsters until you're extremely close to your diety. Pray, voila you get an artifact. Don't sacrifice undead or summoned creatures, your god won't accept them. Don't sacrifice neutral monsters (usally animals) on a neutral altar. Don't try to precrown on a chaotic altar, you'll die horribly. If you find a neutral altar in the early game and you're lawful, or visa versa, offer it donations of gold in small amounts to change your alignment to the altar. Don't try to change your alignment with live sacrifices, too many things can go wrong.

- Speaking of altars, if you find a co-aligned altar always sacrifice monsters until your god is at least very pleased with you. Starting at this point, water dropped on the altar will become holy water. After you've cleared a few dungeons, you'll have a stack of un-id'd scrolls by this point. The largest stack will usually be identification scrolls. Dip the largest stack in holy water to bless it, and if it's identification you can ID your entire inventory. In generally, most potions and scrolls have a much better effect if blessed. Also, bless your weapons to do extra damage to demons and undead.

I could go on forever. ADOM rules, sorry haters.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Click-to-replay support is now live. Click on the [TTY] link next to a game to start the replay in your browser. For example, click here to watch my dual-angel AoMC/AoC full win on HNTR. The replay viewer also has a link to the TTYRec file for download.

The actual player is still extremely primitive, but fixing that is going to take a while; I'm just using off-the-shelf ttyplay(1) right now.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

here's DA REAL adom tips:

1) there's more than one drop command and the other two are very useful. ctrl+d let's you select multiple items to drop at once without having to reopen the menu, :d let's you drop entire categories of items at the same time. this makes stuff like dropping un-ID'd items on altars to detect BUC or selling stuff to a shop waaaay easier.

2) I forget if this is covered in the tutorial or not, but hitting w and then a direction will walk that way until something interesting happens. or you step on an item. it's very lenient on what it considers interesting but this will save a million keystrokes. w and then < or > will attempt to walk to the stairs, and i think it's w and * to auto explore. maybe w and ?

3) Don't like the UI? Of course you don't the new UI sucks. ctrl+n and then m will change between a couple of options for UI.

4) gently caress pre-crowning. enjoy wasting an hour to get the black tome. i'd only pre-crown if you get an altar on a cavernous level.

5) Trolls are LAME and elves are WUSSES (especially since herbs don't raise stats through potentials now, enjoy your tiny baby HP pool). What you wanna play is a drakeling. They have pretty amazing stats all around, great skills, and the acid breath is super nice. Also they have the easiest tower of flames but that's for later. Furthermore they CAN do the Ice Queen's Domain, ignore what the wiki says.

6) the Tome of Donors, which is in the bottom floor of the moldy dungeon is kind of ridiculous. There's not a lot of concrete research done but so far it seems like as long as you get there before level 14 it generates. Reading it can do absolutely stupid poo poo, like give you every single resist incleading death and paralysis at the same time, or give you 40 max HP. Nab that bad boy and read it every time it comes off cooldown. it's heavy though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Happylisk posted:

I love ADOM, despite it's many flaws. While I personally recommend maximum spoilage to avoid the more bullshit aspects of the game, here are some basic tips:

- Dark elf beastfighter, high elf monk, and almost any race/duelist are good starting backgrounds. They all have great skills, including healing, and great class abilities. I love elves in ADOM, but recommend the candle star sign to make up for the lower initial toughness.

- Here's my typical start for the game [some spoilers here]: do the carpenter dungeon, then the puppy dungeon, then kill the outlaw chief after getting the quest from the sheriff (by this point you usually have a couple of wands and I just zap him with something until I get a damage wand). After that, off to the Caverns of Chaos in the west (the main dungeon of the game). Although the druid dungeon is in some ways a better choice for a class that already has healing, the carpenter dungeon is more beginner friendly.

- Precrowning is a great way for a beginner to get an early power boost and make it to the mid game. Here's an explanation of the mechanics of precrowning: http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Precrowning Basically you need to be at least level 8, provided no artifacts have generated yet (it's +3 per generated artifact, so if you happened to already find one, you'd have to wait til level 11). A lot of people find it to be tedious grinding, and it is, but these days I can precrown in about 20 minutes when the conditions are right. What I'm looking for is a neutral or lawful altar either on the 4th floor or lower of the puppy cave, or 4th floor or lower of the village dungeon (if it's on too early a floor, the monsters that spawn are too weak to make for quick precrowning). Sacrifice a bunch of monsters until you're extremely close to your diety. Pray, voila you get an artifact. Don't sacrifice undead or summoned creatures, your god won't accept them. Don't sacrifice neutral monsters (usally animals) on a neutral altar. Don't try to precrown on a chaotic altar, you'll die horribly. If you find a neutral altar in the early game and you're lawful, or visa versa, offer it donations of gold in small amounts to change your alignment to the altar. Don't try to change your alignment with live sacrifices, too many things can go wrong.

- Speaking of altars, if you find a co-aligned altar always sacrifice monsters until your god is at least very pleased with you. Starting at this point, water dropped on the altar will become holy water. After you've cleared a few dungeons, you'll have a stack of un-id'd scrolls by this point. The largest stack will usually be identification scrolls. Dip the largest stack in holy water to bless it, and if it's identification you can ID your entire inventory. In generally, most potions and scrolls have a much better effect if blessed. Also, bless your weapons to do extra damage to demons and undead.

I could go on forever. ADOM rules, sorry haters.

Be very careful not to step on the altar with enemies around. They might sacrifice you.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah if you're standing on a chaotic altar and chaotic enemies are in sight they can pray to their god to sacrifice (aka instantly kill) you.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
After listening to a Roguelike Radio episode about Road Not Taken where they more or less described it as the second coming of Roguelike Jesus, I decided to play it. As far as I can tell, it's kind of a randomly generated Sokoban with some faintly awkward controls. Am I missing something fundamental here?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

hah, no, i played that game and liked it well enough but that's definitely wayyyy overselling it lmao

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Streets of Rogue dev responded to a bunch of my sent feedback. 10/10 would download alpha and continue to play again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The thing I don't like about ADOM is that for a procedurally generated game there sure is a lot of static foreknowledge bullshit. Always go to dungeon (x) first, don't go in dungeon (y) if you're level (z), kill the blah to get the Bloo skill, don't kill a lot of foo or bar is more difficult later on. People bitch about Nethack being obtuse, but at least there aren't a bunch of invisible timers and effects so far removed from causes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

More small fixes to the server.

• [all] The high score table now shows both challenges for dual-angel games
  • [all] The high score table has better win/loss detection, and now properly shows "nuked the mastermind" for all full wins

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Scaramouche posted:

The thing I don't like about ADOM is that for a procedurally generated game there sure is a lot of static foreknowledge bullshit. Always go to dungeon (x) first, don't go in dungeon (y) if you're level (z), kill the blah to get the Bloo skill, don't kill a lot of foo or bar is more difficult later on. People bitch about Nethack being obtuse, but at least there aren't a bunch of invisible timers and effects so far removed from causes.

i really don't like some of the stuff ADOM uses as "anti-scumming" measures. like the idea of monsters getting stronger the more you kill of one type to discourage you from farming is just, ugh. it's so inelegant and you could have avoided it by not having infinitely respawning monsters that give XP and loot in the first place.

i know it was rebalanced such that you're unlikely to run into it playing normally but it's the principle of the thing

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i really don't like some of the stuff ADOM uses as "anti-scumming" measures. like the idea of monsters getting stronger the more you kill of one type to discourage you from farming is just, ugh. it's so inelegant and you could have avoided it by not having infinitely respawning monsters that give XP and loot in the first place.

i know it was rebalanced such that you're unlikely to run into it playing normally but it's the principle of the thing
I'd feel it dangling above my head in normal play. "Was that one monster type too many?"

Also it's very artificial-feeling.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah if you're standing on a chaotic altar and chaotic enemies are in sight they can pray to their god to sacrifice (aka instantly kill) you.
I think this can also happen on other altars if you don't match its alignment. So you can get live-sacrificed on a Lawful altar if you're Chaotic or Neutral.

On Chaotic altars, being Chaotic doesn't protect against this.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It might have been an okay idea if it wasn't for the fact that there's monsters which will just spam summoning lots of the same thing over and over and you need to murder truckloads of them to escape the situation. loving werejackals.

A much better way to do the same thing would just have them drop off in XP and perhaps loot the more of them you kill.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

More minor fixes: if you had issues with the server crashing when you attempt to resume a game in progress, this should now be fixed. Also tracked down another place where the screen wasn't getting cleared properly after play.

On a more general note, if the server crashes or otherwise misbehaves, please let me know; even if the error reported in the terminal is too garbled to read, if you tell me when it happened I can usually debug using the logs.

E: HOLY poo poo I DID IT :black101:

pre:
 ToxicFrog, level 10 Arch-Vile Captain Scout,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 77102 turns and scored 99248 points. 
 He played for 4 hours, 1 minute and 24 seconds. 
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 622 out of 671 hellspawn. (92%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Archangel of Travel!

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Aurora Medallion
  Grim Reaper's Badge
  Lightfoot Bronze Badge
  Lightfoot Silver Badge

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout
  Bru->Bru->Ber->HR->HR->Bru->MBm->Iro->Iro->Iro->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   Angelic Armor [11/11] (97%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   Longinus Spear (8d8)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   protective boots [2/2] (100%) (T)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   nuclear BFG 9000 (8d6) [52/52] (B1)

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 5 he assembled a piercing blade!
  On level 6 he found the Grammaton Cleric Beretta!
  On level 7 he marched into the Military Base.
  On level 7 he assembled a micro launcher!
  He left without a fuss.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 9 he entered Hell's Armory.
  He left the Armory without drawing too much attention.
  On level 12 he romped upon the Abyssal Plains.
  He slaughtered the beasts living there.
  On level 13 he assembled a nanofiber armor!
  On level 14 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 17 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 17 he found the Longinus Spear!
  He then destroyed the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 18 he stumbled into a complex full of mancubi!
  On level 18 he found the Railgun!
  On level 20 he was foolish enough to enter the Mortuary!
  On level 20 he found the Angelic Armor!
  He managed to clear the Mortuary from evil!
  He left level 23 as soon as possible.
  Then at last he found Dis!
  On level 24 he finally defeated the Mastermind.
That's a melee only Mortuary clear on Archangel of Light Travel, and also my first Archangel win. Replay.

Blademaster isn't really noticeable in day to day combat, unlike Vampire or Malicious Blades, but when it shines it really shines. It's a very aggressive skill; it works best when you charge right into the middle of a large group of enemies, taking a few hits on the way in and then instantly reducing the entire group to a fine mist. I doubt I would have been able to clear the Mortuary without it.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 24, 2016

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Unguided posted:

IVAN is a game that can make beating the first dungeon seem like a great accomplishment.

Do they still list "game is winnable" as a bug?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the easiest win in ivan is actually kind of manageable if you do some minmaxing (which is required for any win, to be honest)

anything beyond that is another question entirely, but people have done it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Random roguelike idea: a procedurally generated collectible/trading card game roguelike with the plot trappings of the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh. Specifically, procedurally generate the cards (and maybe some of the rules) each full game, and the duelists all get special abilities to activate to bend/twist the rules in their favor during the matches.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
There's a game in paid alpha, post apocalyptic, you wander through a desert I think, there are vehicles I think, it was compared a lot to another game that I can't remember what it was either, I meant to get it when I became solvent again but now that I have I have forgotten what it is and it is hard to google such general things without drowning in cave of qud whatever that is (I'm kidding I own it).Anyone help me out here?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Floodkiller posted:

Random roguelike idea: a procedurally generated collectible/trading card game roguelike with the plot trappings of the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh. Specifically, procedurally generate the cards (and maybe some of the rules) each full game, and the duelists all get special abilities to activate to bend/twist the rules in their favor during the matches.

This could be done with Magic cards if someone was clever with programming. Just take this random Magic card generator and retool it to spit out card script files for Magic Forge (an open source engine with an AI that can play Magic). You could do it manually, but it would be pretty tedious

Magic Card Generator:
http://www.toothycat.net/wiki/bnf.pl?page=AlexChurchill/MagicCardGenerator

Magic Forge:
http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Ah Map posted:

There's a game in paid alpha, post apocalyptic, you wander through a desert I think, there are vehicles I think, it was compared a lot to another game that I can't remember what it was either, I meant to get it when I became solvent again but now that I have I have forgotten what it is and it is hard to google such general things without drowning in cave of qud whatever that is (I'm kidding I own it).Anyone help me out here?

Convoy (or Skyshine's Bedlam)?

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

Glimpse posted:

Convoy (or Skyshine's Bedlam)?

No its possible I have mixed up some elements of those with my barely existent memory of whatever this game is.I don't think it is on steam, not yet anyway.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Kenshi?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Slightly off topic buuuut if you're a fan of Dungeonmans and want to help the greedy dev put gas in his Lambo, check out Demon Truck which just launched today on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/489760

Thanks! :tipshat:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And not a solid gold Humvee? Piracy is more rampant in game dev than music, it seems! :v:

Looks like my wheelhouse, I'll check it out when I get home.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

Slightly off topic buuuut if you're a fan of Dungeonmans and want to help the greedy dev put gas in his Lambo, check out Demon Truck which just launched today on Steam:

yea. ill pick that up when i get off work :)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

madjackmcmad posted:

lambo fuel is expensive so I bought this game

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

madjackmcmad posted:

I watched you work on this on twitch and it's really cool to see it come out on steam. I will gladly fuel your lambo.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so is rogue wizards like rogue legacy in that you slowly accrue upgrades for your guy

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Relin posted:

so is rogue wizards like rogue legacy in that you slowly accrue upgrades for your guy

I put a couple of hours in, the town is so far a bunch of shops. They have a neat mechanic where just wearing gear and fighting with it will level up the gear, giving each piece a stat boost and another ego each time it levels. You find more stuff, and it might not be as good as what you have, but it has a higher potential, so you get to decide if you want to swap out and be a little weaker short term for more stremf long term.

I *think* I like the game. It is really, really slow. Everything is hyper animated, every piece of the UI bounces and boops around, menus take an extra second to open and page between because everything has to merrily tween into place, scrolls need to roll open, etc etc. But I do like how their enemies contribute to dynamic environments through damage and slide areas.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Grinding to level up your equipment. I hate that game already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The second paragraph is far more offensive than the first. One of the reasons I play roguelikes in the first place is to get away from that bullshit.