Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It is really good. It's cross platform, it doesn't require you to have done the thing in the previous game (or even to have played it), it syncs flawlessly, it has a built in story catch up feature. If you're going to have choice carryover, it's probably the best way to let players see more of the content you've created without having to play through the previous game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's definitely a lot easier than the old method of having somebody maintain an online database of sorted endgame saves ala Mass Effect

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rascyc posted:

No point in implementing a feature only a couple of percentage of people would use.

Tbh I'm surprised we have endings in RPGs anymore given how few people finish em

Bethesda's already phased those out.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

2house2fly posted:

Bethesda's already phased those out.

Was that before or after they phased out interesting gameplay?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
To the credit of the ex-Id employees they picked up for Fallout 4, the gunplay was quite improved and pretty okay for an open world game. Miles ahead of the newest Deus Ex game if you can believe that.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Rascyc posted:

To the credit of the ex-Id employees they picked up for Fallout 4, the gunplay was quite improved and pretty okay for an open world game. Miles ahead of the newest Deus Ex game if you can believe that.

Hard for me to say since I'm treating Mankind Divided as a stealth game and don't use guns much, but I can say with confidence that I'll finish it. Contrast this with Fallout 4 which was too boring and badly written to bother.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
New short story:

quote:

When I sat down to write Carved of Shadow, Crept From Darkness I had a couple of goals in mind. The first was that I wanted to write a short story from the point of view of a Fatebinder during or leading up to the years of Kyros’ conquest of the Tiers. I wanted to get into the head of someone who knowingly served a higher, “evil” calling but was not necessarily a bad person himself. I wanted to play with the idea that even when people do bad things, that doesn’t mean they can’t be a good-looking, charismatic war hero, or have people they dearly love. I also wanted to hurt that Fatebinder — because I, myself, am a terrible person, ha. :)

My second goal with Carved of Shadow, Crept From Darkness was to provide a satisfying and hopefully exciting introduction to the companion I’d been writing over the past year for the game. Because Kills-in-Shadow is a monster, (albeit an intelligent, humanoid one with her own desires and motivations,) I thought it would be fun to draw upon classic horror fiction and film techniques for revealing her, such as unveiling the monster slowly, glimpse by glimpse, claw… by fang… by glowing red eyes.

Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoy it!

~Megan Starks, Narrative Designer

Carved of Shadow, Crept from Darkness

Three. “A charmer till the end,” she says. Her face is pallid, her voice cracked as the tiled porcelain beneath their feet. Listless, she weighs no more than a ragdoll in his arms.

“Your fate is not yet finished. Remain steadfast.” For Terratus, for Tunon. For me.

If he speaks with enough conviction maybe, just maybe, by the grace of Kyros, he can make it true. Can really, truly bend reality to his will. To save her life. Her lips split in a fleeting smile, her teeth tinged red. She bleeds rivers from her back, drenching his hands.

He’s never felt so useless as a Fatebinder.

He slips on the slicked, split porcelain tiles of the bathhouse floor as he lunges forward. In his haste, he nearly forgets his halberd. The steam stings at his eyes. Clogs his throat.

This is unfamiliar territory for a battlefield.

“Where is it?” he asks. His muscled body surges like a thrust spear through the steam. With each damp, panting breath, he tastes perspiration and mead.

For Nunoval, Fatebinder of War, death takes the form of a Beast.

A shadowed silhouette rises like the jut of a mountain, hazed before him. Blocking the door.

Layla takes a ragged breath but doesn’t scream. She rattles in his grip as he crashes into the wall. The entire right side of his body throbs acutely, numbed. Soon he won’t be able to feel anything. Not panic, not grief, not the haft in his hand. Not heat nor anger nor love.

“My dagger,” she says as it skitters across the floor.

How she’d maintained a clutch on it before is beyond him. Even draining like a split boar, she’s tough as bronze. Had always been the toughest of all of them.

“Rademos!” he howls.

“Did you see it?” she asks. “It slunk from the shadows.”

“Rademos!” Nunoval shouts again. “Rademos!”

Layla’s head lolls, and the darkness draws closer. Hunched and hulking, it moves inhumanly on elongated hands and feet, crawling, creeping, no, stalking across the room, its saber-like claws tap-tap-tapping slowly, deliberately, against the mosaic tiles. It is hunting. And they are its prey.

Cold sweat beads Nunoval’s brow. His pulse pounds in his neck, thump-thump-thumping to the clawed beat of their coming death. For a skip of several heartbeats, everything feels surreal.

When the creature, the form of darkness, is only a few yards away, it rises once more and, ambling, drags its black claws along the wall, casually but deeply furrowing the stone.

It’s savoring this, toying with them.

“Do not close your eyes,” he says to Layla and jounces her to force her awake, but maybe he says it as much to himself, and all the while his thoughts are racing, thinking—where is Rademos? Gaien and Evander and Niccol he knows already are gone. Branwen, as well, cannot help them, and if no one can come, he will have to set Layla down in order to fight, and then she will be dead. Behind his back, she will slip away like the sands in an hourglass, while he savagely hacks their attacker to bloodied chunks in his fury and anguish.

“Wouldn’t dream of sleeping now, might have nightmares,” she says. She jokes, teasing him unbearably to the end, but her lips are ashen and grimaced as she speaks. “Might dream of you, mewling and pawing at my breasts, kissing my clavicle in that sloppy way you do.”

She is looking at him, eyes half-focused and bluer than the northern sky. So he offers her the softest quirk of a smile, though he cannot decide what to do.

Fight or die?

It is a decision he should have no problem answering, has never had a problem answering before.

Fight or die?

Yet now he asks himself again and again—

Fight or die?

And where is Rademos?!

Blessedly, in answer, the door in the crook of the far wall splinters. Finally. A thud, a beat, and it bursts fully inward, slamming against the stucco wall before hanging askew in its frame.

“Commander?” Garbed in a rucked tunic, leather trousers, and flaking, mud-caked boots, flaxen hair mussed with sleep, Rademos strides into the room. His eyes dart about before settling on the pair of them. “poo poo, Layla.” His fingers falter mid-sigil.

Help is near, but so far away.

“Careful!” Nunoval shouts. “It’s among us!”

“In here?! How?”

Layla simply says, “It’s a clever one,” as if that explains everything.

Nunoval surges again for the door. He shifts Layla more to one arm so he can better heft his weapon. The dark Beast swipes again, but this time Nunoval halts the attack. One-handed, muscles straining against the force, he holds the brute at bay. It is no easy feat. Black claws like scythes score his fingers before he returns the slash, the blade of his halberd lancing across the Beast’s thigh.

Then he is moving again. And with a rumbling chuckle, the creature disappears into the steam.

Rademos raises his staff, knuckles blanched where they grip the helve. “I thought we lost it at Lethian’s bridge.”

“Clearly, we did not.”

Rademos swears profusely before invoking the name of his Archon, fingers contorting into the form of a familiar sigil, a rune he’s favored a hundred times and more in battle, but now hesitates to cast, holding back the acrid swell of energy, jaw set grimly as he waits on his commander and squad-mate to slip past, and the air pops with accumulated power.

“Forget the Beast,” Nunoval gasps as he skids into the doorway. “Help her.”

Rademos glances to them sidelong before releasing a whiplash of lightening arching throughout the steam-clouded room. Behind the haze it looks like a distant thunderstorm. “You know I can’t mend flesh and blood,” he says.

“I don’t care. Do something, whatever you must,” Nunoval counters. “Save her.”

“Do you hear it?” Layla asks, eyes closed as she listens, and the men fall quiet as well, panting and straining to hear over the rushing of their blood in their ears.

Rademos is the first to speak. “No.”

“I didn’t either,” Layla says. She reaches for her hip, fingers fumbling for the dagger that isn’t there. “But that’s the trick, isn’t it? Not to feel it first.”

In the moment before the Beast struck, she’d been laughing deeply, abs bunching beneath taut, bronzed skin, water swirling her navel. Then her drink sloshed as she pitched forward, face twisted in confusion and pain, and his arms outstretched to catch hers, grasping desperately to hold on.

Five. The Beast had been hunting them for days. He’d issued orders for caution. He’d tightened their formation and altered their route. He’d taught them, for so many years, how to survive no matter what, how not to fear or falter, how to strike hard and bury their foes in the dirt.

Evander and Niccol went to take a piss in pairs, but only Niccol stumbled back, swearing and shaking. Nunoval stared down the line of his soldier’s arm, rent red from shoulder to elbow. Then he rolled his eyes to the sky.

Kyros have mercy. His soldiers had turned to mewling piglets in the face of a single Beast. Even he was beginning to worry, to wonder. Yet had he not, himself, cut down an entire pack with tawny fur and citrine eyes less than a fortnight before? Beastmen were nothing to be feared.

A Beast was nothing he could not best, yet despite his efforts, both Gaien and Evander had carelessly gotten themselves killed. And now Niccol was injured.

“Branwen! Stitch Niccol before we eat. Layla, Rademos—with me.”

He did not wait for a reply as he set at a sturdy pace for the edge of the clearing. Withered leaves crunched beneath his boots. With each step, he felt his pulse quickening as he approached the spot where Evander’s corpse would forever lie.

What should have been a simple scouting expedition had become a tepid and drawn-out bloodbath. Forget mapping Haven’s marshes. He was tired of soaking in the blood of his own men. It felt unbearable to lose them now, when the invasion of the Tiers had yet to even begin, when they were only just preparing a military stratagem for Tunon the Adjudicator. At least, if they were to die honorably in battle, he could accept the loss. But like this? Like this he would have only failed them.

He was going to confront the Beast that night. And barring his assured victory, they would head for Lethian’s Crossing—the closest human settlement to their position in the realm.

The three of them stood silent, nearly elbow to elbow as they peered down at the hewn gore that was their former companion.

Nunoval gritted his teeth as he barked a single command.

Lethian’s Crossing was protected by a well-known band of mercenaries. No Beast would dare follow them there.

“Dig.”

One. His chest heaves as he runs. The Beast slams into him, pitching him to the ground. Layla tumbles from his arms and rolls, a twisted heap, her hair spilled around her like a golden crown, her damp skin caked with blood and mud from the road. She’s gone.

Aching, he crawls to his forearms, palms and knees. He scrapes his hand over the haft of his halberd, so livid he can’t even speak. He feels it looming over him before its dusky, gnarled foot steps into view. With a low, rippling growl, it drops Rademos’s severed head before him, and he screams, stabbing it in the gut. He twists the blade, cursing it back to the darkness from whence it came, forcing it backwards as he shoves to his feet.

“drat you!” he chokes, “Kyros drat you all!”

His voice breaks, but he doesn’t stop. He’s wounded the Beast. He can barely distinguish it from the surrounding shadows, but he can smell its blood. He hacks and slashes and thrusts, pressing his advantage. He will end this.

He will kill it.

It tries to block an upward thrust, and triumphantly, he stabs straight through its thick-muscled forearm. A fiendish grin breaks across his face, the first outward sign of his surging bloodlust. Of his fury and raw desire. But instead of shirking or yowling, the Beast chuffs with a dark amusement. It stalks forward, pressing further onto the sharp, speared tip, closing the distance between them. Swiftly, he moves to rip the blade back, but it grabs onto the helve of the staff and with a monstrous strength wrenches it away. It tugs the barbed blade from its flesh with a snick, and then his weapon is tossed, clattering, into the darkness.

The Beast is on him in an instant.

His back hits the ground, hard, the wind painfully jarred from his lungs. His fists lash out, but its massive, calloused hands grab his wrists, and he realizes with a shock that it’s a woman. Her naked, scarred teats brush his chest.

Her nostrils flare as she inhales his scent, and she growls deeply, purpled lips peeling back to bare yellowed fangs. Her scarlet eyes hungrily rove his face. Shattered, his thoughts flee his mind, deserting him to his fate. This is how he’s going to die.

She speaks. Words form with heated effort, her voice rumbling, low. “Did human think own roaming pack could hunt as wished? Could slaughter three river-whelps in Beastwomen-lands?” She licks his neck, her mauve tongue rough as wood. “Did not know Shadowhunter would take vengeance?”

When she breathes, her exhale is hot against his skin.

“How? How could I have known?!” he howls. He grits his teeth until he tastes blood. “Do it! It’s because of me they’re dead.”

All of them. Because of his mistake.

She grins, fierce and dangerous.

For reasons he’ll never understand, or maybe for no reason at all, she spares him. Unlike the others, she leaves him – alive, heart thrashing, emotionally riven but bodily whole, battered and nearly broken in the rammed-clay street, staring up through clouded eyes at a starless sky.

But before she slips as the ebb of a shadow into the pitch blackness of the night, she carves, slowly, painstakingly with one claw, a deep scar into his chest. With it, her parting words brand into his mind.

“Remember Beastwoman’s vengeance. Remember Kills-in-Shadow.”

https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/09/09/carved-of-shadow-crept-from-darkness/

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I agree that the game hasn't got a lot of buzz. I follow it on Twitter and follow Paradox too so I saw the announcement but even I feel like I've not heard much going on from the game. I had no idea it was slated for 2016 either, good god.

I actually booked a day off to play PoE because I was so excited for it. I love Obsidian and I love the infinity engine games too. While I did enjoy the setting and the story the combat really annoyed me and I didn't particularly like character advancement. So often I found that I was levelling up and just picking random poo poo because I didn't have any other choice. I didn't want any activated abilities because it added loads of busywork to fights for me but it seems like PoE is a game built around that which is a real shame for me.
In White March I started finding the game really boring and tedious and I'm super glad they added Story Mode so I didn't have to deal with fights any more.

I hope Tyranny is more angled towards providing me a story experience and less about just challenging combat.

I'd also hope that loot is a bit more...interesting. Soulbound weapons in PoE were pretty good but I found it hard to decide what was actually "good" because of all the stats and etc. I think what I'm saying here is no more deflection/absorbtion stuff!

Also I'm 90% sure Snakes and Cakes is British so unless Bioware has a secret office here he's definitely not an employee.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 18, 2016

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I dunno its just the setting that looks boring I guess. Not that PoE was super original but at least it had guns and Ciphers.

Tyranny is what, Bronze Age stuff? yay....

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

frajaq posted:

I dunno its just the setting that looks boring I guess. Not that PoE was super original but at least it had guns and Ciphers.

Guns are boring and dumb.
Like someone said earlier bronze age stuff is cool because armour was rare and impressive and a person wearing bronze armour had a HUGE advantage over just a regular person. It's easy to say you conquered this place because holy poo poo, you've got bronze armoured soldiers. A whole different dynamic to more modern day settings.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Actually the gist was that the Lord of Edge conquered the known world because everybody else was decked out in bronze. Specifically the noble elites had bronze and the footmen had leather or cloth. Meanwhile every single high orc equivalent was decked out in cheap, abundant iron.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bronze is, generally speaking, superior to primitive ironwork. It's obviously inferior to steel, but low-carbon alloys like wrought iron are actually softer, though easier to produce in quantity. It takes a lot of metallurgy experience to produce wrought iron without working out the impurities that give steel its desirable characteristics.

You can make a poo poo ton of sponge iron with big reduction furnace operations though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

So can we reasonably assume this isn't coming out this year yet? They're running a very weird marketing cycle if it is a 2016 release.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

wiegieman posted:

Bronze is, generally speaking, superior to primitive ironwork. It's obviously inferior to steel, but low-carbon alloys like wrought iron are actually softer, though easier to produce in quantity. It takes a lot of metallurgy experience to produce wrought iron without working out the impurities that give steel its desirable characteristics.

You can make a poo poo ton of sponge iron with big reduction furnace operations though.

If I'm understanding correctly, the reason iron was easier to produce vs. bronze was due to bronze being an alloy of tin and copper. Tin was relatively scarce and harder to obtain compared to copper in many parts of the ancient world.

And these drat video games get it all wrong by making iron stronger than bronze!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

If I'm understanding correctly, the reason iron was easier to produce vs. bronze was due to bronze being an alloy of tin and copper. Tin was relatively scarce and harder to obtain compared to copper in many parts of the ancient world.

And these drat video games get it all wrong by making iron stronger than bronze!

That's right. Bronze is made of materials with a lower melting point than iron, making it easier to control the alloy ingredients and produce a pure, high quality metal. The first bronzes were actually unintentional alloys of copper, but ancient metallurgists quickly discovered that the addition of other metals improved the performance of the resulting copper alloy, both in production and finished qualities (bronze pours better than copper, for example.)

Bronze was so important that plentiful tin sources were a major influence on developing societies, since a good bronze is 8-12% tin, but you can get away with 5%. Europe imported tin over long distances, especially from Iberia, and it's very possible that the Romans conquered Gaul in part because of the rich tin sources there.

Contrast this with iron: iron ore is plentiful, but you can't get the same kind of alloy quality out of a reduction furnace -- that's basically a free standing brick chimney, filled with layers of carbon fuel and iron ore sand. What you get out of the bottom of a reduction furnace (or "bloomery") is sponge iron, porous iron that typically has a low carbon content. Sponge iron necessitates consolidation by hammering and folding, which further reduces the carbon content and produces wrought iron.

What matters about iron is that you can make lots and lots of it because there's so much iron ore and anyone who can lay bricks, shovel ingredients, and hold a hammer can do it. The quantity of iron out of individual furnaces is low, but it's dead simple. Sometimes these furnaces would produce higher carbon metal -- primitive steels -- but the makers didn't really know why. India, for example, produced Wootz (or Damascus) steel using what we think were plant additives to suspend high carbon regions in the metal.

It wasn't until bloomeries grew quite large that they started to regularly produce the very high carbon pig iron, but it was thought of as an unworkable waste product until somebody was smart enough to burn some of the carbon out and produce the first purposeful steels.

I could talk for hours about metallurgy, it's literally the history of civilization.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
In the history of the game, Kyros was the first one to master iron smelting, hence why he managed to field much bigger armies with heavy armor than other countries. By the time of the game, I think he's mastered iron smelting so much that armors made of the stuff are considered high quality work, hence why the Disfavored are clad in those things.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Derp.

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 19, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Is that a joke about how unremarkable the hype for this game has been

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Eh.They will probably market it a bit more once it's closer to release.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Basic Chunnel posted:

Is that a joke about how unremarkable the hype for this game has been

Only in that my brain is good at mixing up Torment and Tyranny for some reason.

To answer the original question, as far as anyone outside of Obsidian/Paradox knows, Tyranny is still on track for later this year.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

frajaq posted:

I'm pretty much the opposite.. I found the inclusion of guns in PoE pretty jarring. I must be turning into a traditionalist in my old age.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I sure hope this game's on track because it sounds way more interesting than PoE to me. I'm always interested in RPGs where you're role-playing someone who has an actual role in their society, as opposed to the usual transient-who's-special-for-some-reason.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqlufiPqgZA

New Developer Diary about the animation, music, and character design.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Looking forward to experiencing all that blowing brown dust in 4k, and then switch things up when I walk on some red, or even ruddy, interior floors

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

FuriousGeorge posted:

I sure hope this game's on track because it sounds way more interesting than PoE to me. I'm always interested in RPGs where you're role-playing someone who has an actual role in their society, as opposed to the usual transient-who's-special-for-some-reason.

That's exactly what interests me about this setting. In almost all RPGs of this type the main character is a random nobody to start. Sometimes the main character might be nobility (if they are they are young and have no real power) but rarely do RPGs let the characters be more than adventures out to save the world.I like the idea of being a judge and bringing godly order to the lawless masses. I'm looking forward to being the most horrible lawful neutral bureaucrat I can possibly be.

The fact that snakes and cakes posts in this thread though does bring this thread down to reality a bit though and reminds me not to get too excited.I'm holding back any expectations for this game due to how boring PoE was. My real wish is that Bethesda would give Obsidian the fallout 4 engine and let them make new Vegas two!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm... surprised at how negative people are towards PoE itt.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Don't know what to say I just didn't like POE much not competely terrible but a mediocre game. I was expecting so much more in terms of story, I was expecting something great like KOTOR 2 or Fallout New Vegas but the story was flat to me. I don't even remember the names of any of the characters or the villain. I'll say the combat was good and I think a game with a better story could use that same system and have great potential.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

khwarezm posted:

I frickin' loved PoE, especially if you're willing to engage the lore and really dig into the background stuff. I think the reason it feels so flat is because PoE doesn't really do a good job about presenting its information directly to the player; instead, it expects you to read every book and make your own inferences about how the world works. That said, I am also somewhat disappointed with PoE with how constrained it all felt. After the loreposts about the Republic of Valia, about the arboreal dwarves and all that, all we did was explore a fairly standard European fantasy world, though considering how much Obsidian was trying to play it safe what with the company on the verge of dissolution and all, I couldn't really blame them. The White March expansion was much, much better, and I hope that it sets the foundation of things to come.

At the very least, I expect more Vithrack in PoE 2, 'cos surprisingly friendly telekinetic bugmen are awesome.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

Don't know what to say I just didn't like POE much not competely terrible but a mediocre game. I was expecting so much more in terms of story, I was expecting something great like KOTOR 2 or Fallout New Vegas but the story was flat to me. I don't even remember the names of any of the characters or the villain. I'll say the combat was good and I think a game with a better story could use that same system and have great potential.

Now that you've said this I realize that I, too, literally cannot remember the name of a single character from PoE that wasn't a party member. And I only remember those because you spend a lot of time controlling them in combat. All of them were so disconnected from the plot and from each other that they may as well have been randomly generated. Grieving Mother was the most memorable of the bunch, solely thanks to how tedious she was to listen to.

Honestly I don't even think the gameplay was very good. It was possibly the best implementation of oldschool realtime-with-pause RPG combat, but that system kinda sucks in general and was phased out for good reason. I played Divinity: Original Sin at around the same time and Divinity's excellent turn-based combat made PoE's look like a joke. Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong were also better than PoE in every way and I highly recommend them to anyone here who hasn't given them a shot.

I've loved many of Obsidian's past games as much as anybody here, but Pillars was a disappointment.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

khwarezm posted:

I think it's a decent game that largely hit the notes it was supposed to. Everything before the end of Act 2 and all of the White March is solid, but the combat and running around begins to drag like an anchor after about 30 hours. If I could make a comparison, it's like how Darkest Dungeon would've been a fantastic 10 hour game that was unfortunately stretched to fill 40.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Vargs posted:

Honestly I don't even think the gameplay was very good. It was possibly the best implementation of oldschool realtime-with-pause RPG combat, but that system kinda sucks in general and was phased out for good reason. I played Divinity: Original Sin at around the same time and Divinity's excellent turn-based combat made PoE's look like a joke. Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong were also better than PoE in every way and I highly recommend them to anyone here who hasn't given them a shot.

D:OS has good gameplay, but the writing is so awful I couldn't motivate myself to finish. I liked the Shadowun games well enough to complete all three of them, but I the combat is too easy to be interesting.

RTwP is highly polarizing for obvious reasons. I've always liked it. Turn based is just so... static? Plodding? Artificial? Gamey? One of those. And I say that as someone who plays and enjoys a lot of TB games.

Oh... and the art style in Pillars beats the pants of anything in Shadowrun or Divinity. :colbert:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pillars has probably the weakest story of any Obsidian game. On the other hand, it's also the only one with fun combat, so it kind of evens out.

Edit: Actually, I'm wrong on both counts. I completely forgot about Dungeon Siege 3.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 24, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The lead writer did an interview with RPGCodex where he talked about the writing process, and POE's story was essentially built by everyone submitting ideas and the ideas that nobody really objected to got used. I like the story but I think a lack of passion from the writers didn't really help it compared to something like KOTOR2 where Chris Avellone read every single Star Wars novel and poured his hatred for the franchise into Kreia's mouth.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah. The game did feel like it was written by a committee - especially with the companions. Durance and Weeping Mother seemed to get a lot of attention. They were pretty tedious to talk to as well. I've stated it before but I was hoping for something more trite and adventurous - like Baldur's Gate was. Needed more Baldur's Gate and less Torment, not that I appreciate having theological arguments with well-written NPCs but it never really goes in-depth and it's all pretty surface level stuff. But I did enjoy the gameplay some, even though it feel a bit too designed and I didn't like the stat system. In a game where stat and skill checks weren't a thing having stats that effected every facet of combat is great but in a game where stat and skill checks are a thing, I feel you need those god and dump stats so you can round out your party for certain situations. As it was designed everyone could move mountains with their unbelievable Might but they had the Resolve of a child during a sugar rush.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
By committee and in a hurry. First-draft ideas that didn't get much revision, according to Fenstermaker.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10231

quote:

...the biggest thing separating the game from the heights of its potential is a simple lack of time and money. "Writing is rewriting" is a great quote about writing that I read that was written by somebody who never worked on a mid-budget video game. Most of the dialogue in Pillars is first-draft with a cursory editing pass. There was very little time for iterative improvement, especially later in development.

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 24, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jimbot posted:

Yeah. The game did feel like it was written by a committee - especially with the companions. Durance and Weeping Mother seemed to get a lot of attention. They were pretty tedious to talk to as well.

I'll kind of agree with you on Grieving Mother, but I found Durance to be really cool. Sure, he is a hateful racist for no reason, but that's part of why I like him, and the questline where you reveal to him the truth and/or the extent of his goddess's machinations was very, very satisfying.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Vargs posted:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong were also better than PoE in every way and I highly recommend them to anyone here who hasn't given them a shot.

That is wrong on so many levels.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They were better Bioware games than PoE was. But PoE was a far better Black Isle game than Wasteland 2, so it balances out

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I'll kind of agree with you on Grieving Mother, but I found Durance to be really cool. Sure, he is a hateful racist for no reason, but that's part of why I like him, and the questline where you reveal to him the truth and/or the extent of his goddess's machinations was very, very satisfying.

I'll give you that. I just didn't like their dialogue paths. What he had to say was weird enough that I liked it but getting to the new stuff down the same path was a pain in the butt. Grieving Mother was worse because it was just a lot of fluff. Felt like I was talking to a Tim Burton character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Furism posted:

That is wrong on so many levels.

I don't know, the two later Shadowrun games are very, very good.

• Locked thread