Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The AI banning lux annoyed me until I realized it only will pass against universally reviled players, and if that's the PC then it usually means that he's been steamrolling them for a Dom victory, and losing 4 happiness every 200 years ain't gonna save them.

Venice getting banned and/or wrecked in multi has nothing to do with it being a a good, fun civ to play in single player, where 99% of hours played is logged. This new civ sounds great fun imo, you sacrifice the ability for a single victory type, in order to get insane religion bonus' without ever committing any policies/hammers into religion. It basically sounds like my standard deity game, where getting your own religion can be a huge crapshoot & totally not worth it (and nevermind the missionary spam...), so I just pointedly ignore religion and carry on playing optimally. Except now instead of one lovely religion, I can get EVERY belief every taken by the AI? Sign me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rexides posted:

I am a bit confused. Does possessing copies of the same luxury provide additional amenities, or does it work like previous games?
Just the four Amenities for possessing a unique copy (six Amenities for Montezuma), spares are still trade fodder. Each unique Luxury resource only gives 1 Amenity per city, though, so a single Luxury can't give 4 Amenities to a single city.

In their Rome game, they have 3 cities (4 with Knossos captured) and Tea, Citrus, Gypsum, and Tobacco all providing 1 Amenity to each city. If they added another city after Knossos, it would attempt to balance the distribution to keep the most cities happy (which would probably be a 3/3/3/3/4 mix).

In their Kongo game, they have what looks like at least 8 cities, and the allocation has 2 Luxury Amenities going to the capital, 3 going to Kinchassa, and 6 going to Kristiansand to offset the -6 penalty from War Weariness; all three of the cities they look at in depth are at 7 Amenities through a combination of districts, national parks, and luxuries (though a size 17-18 city needs 8, which is why Kristiansand is unhappy), and presumably Skedsmo and Osaka are getting a large share as well being captures as well, though they're size 10 and 14 and only need up to 4 and 6 respectively .

Looks like there are at least 24 unique luxury resources in the game altogether (plus some exclusively from City-States; Suzerainty over Zanzibar gives Cinnamon and Cloves with 6 Amenities each), so I guess theoretically you could support 4 cities up through size 54 on luxuries alone if you could manage the Housing, or more likely a wider empire into the size 16-20 range.

John F Bennett posted:

World Congress is not in CIV VI, right?
Yeah, one of the few features from V complete not to make it back, I take it they weren't as happy with its implementation as they could have been. Probably a candidate to be retooled for an expansion.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

PirateBob posted:

Can't get over how lovely the art design is, both 2D and 3D wise... :stare:

The leader screens are really good, actually.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The removed fat teddy and replaced him with a human teddy a while back which was a good move imo.

Also, if you'd rather have endless legend style combat you're just not a very good person.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They even fixed Qin Shi Huang

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Also, if you'd rather have endless legend style combat you're just not a very good person.

I'm not sure why people keep suggesting this as an option that exists.

I mean, it would also suck if they gave it an ME3-style ending, or No Man's Sky-style multiplayer, or, uh, a third lovely video game feature. Presumably it won't have any of those, either.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kajeesus posted:

I mean, it would also suck if they gave it an ME3-style ending, or No Man's Sky-style multiplayer, or, uh, a third lovely video game feature. Presumably it won't have any of those, either.

It's not completely unfounded, since they've definitely taken a couple pages out of Endless Legend's book. It's definitely a pretty out-there idea, but some people can't stop slobbing Endless Legend's knob so it keeps coming up.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

System requirements released.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah they should go for fallen enchantress'

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tiger Millionaire posted:

The leader screens are really good, actually.

Personally, the more I see of the gameplay, the more I like the art. The developed cities look very nice to my eyes, and have the nice side benefit of being able to distinguish key features at a glance. Some of the wonder-build videos look just plain gorgeous to me, seeing the wonder rise in the middle of a highly-populated, well-developed city with lots of buildings and districts and improvements.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

PirateBob posted:

Can't get over how lovely the art design is, both 2D and 3D wise... :stare:

I know taste in aesthetics is the realm of subjectivity, but how could you be so wrong about this? It looks beautiful- Colourful but not oversaturated, easily readable, great leader models, and the fog of war being a map is just the greatest little touch of polish. The only thing it lacks is fully rendered leader scenes, which I could give a poo poo about if it means more actual content.

I will miss Monty's crazy fire though.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I've grown to really enjoy the world map and the graphics on that. I think that looks great, especially now that they've tweaked the colors to look good. Still don't like the leader models though but it's not a biggie for me.

What I really can't stand is parts of the UI though, I *hate* the way stuff like the build lists look. Ugh. To me it feels completely at odds with how the rest of the game looks.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Hogama posted:

It never really occurred to me that the Mac release wouldn't happen on the same day :smith:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
gently caress, gonna need a new computer.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Groke posted:

If you're in the market for a laptop specifically, I highly recommend the Dell Inspiron 7559. It's easily the best bang-for-buck option I've seen in a long time, sporting a i7 6700 and a GeForce 960M for ~$850USD, or $1200CAD. Thing runs GTAV smooth as silk maxed out (exempting AA and High Res Shadows of course)- something unheard of in that price range. Only real issue is build quality is a bit meh compared to, say, a Macbook, and the touch pad isn't the greatest I've seen.

Nonetheless, I bought two of them, one for my girlfriend and one for myself. We're going to have fun come October 21st.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

this is pretty lame, actually. i hope they do something about this since it kind of sucks that you literally are just blocked from a certain victory type as this civ...whose leader UA is rather powerful for spreading religion since you basically get a free religion-spreader whenever you make your unique district.

i think there should be a way to become the functional founder of a religion you've adopted. like, if you conquer a holy city and make peace, and if the religion in question is a majority (if not more) of your citizens, and perhaps additional requirements like generating more faith per turn than the original founder or being in a golden age or something, then there should be a big project you can build in that holy city that turns you into the founder (but if the actual founder reconquers the city they should probably automatically regain that status). it seems simple and sensible to me, and it'd be much more interesting for Kongo to be such fervent and devout converts that they end up being the real authority of that religion and launching it to greater heights than its founders, instead of Kongo being such fervent and devout converts that they literally cannot become the world's religious authority no matter what

Their gimmick is that you can benefit greatly from religion so it would also be weird if you could win by it, otherwise nobody else would be able to compete in the religion game with that civ.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I finally got to watch the full presentation of Rome and Kongo, and some of these changes are awesome. I think the dynamic of ranged units not exerting ZOC, and heavy cavalry ignoring ZOC has a good chance of making varied armies a real thing. Opponent has a ton of ranged? Use some horses and run around the back of the melee unit guarding them.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

The Human Crouton posted:

Opponent has a ton of ranged? Use some horses and run around the back of the melee unit guarding them.

As it should be.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JVNO posted:

Embargo Venice -> Embargo City States

Always the first two congress votes passed if a Venice player is doing well, and utterly cripples them.

There should be a risk/reward system for just being like 'gently caress your world congress' and quitting it

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Groke posted:

Found a site that might interest you for cheap computer builds ranging from $300-$800. Most of the information looks pretty solid, but I'd probably mix/match to whatever I wanted.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kajeesus posted:

I mean, it would also suck if they gave it an ME3-style ending, or No Man's Sky-style multiplayer, or, uh, a third lovely video game feature.

Diablo 3 1.0 loot system.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

IcePhoenix posted:

Some things just shouldn't be joked about.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ice Fist posted:

There should be a risk/reward system for just being like 'gently caress your world congress' and quitting it

Civ4 let you defy UN resolutions, so they wouldn't apply to you. But it made citizens in your cities unhappy because they didn't like being a villain on the world stage.

Not very helpful for the embargo resolutions, though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

IcePhoenix posted:

Poop agents.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Hogama posted:

My surface skates by. Hopefully won't be too much of a dog for playing on the couch.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

IcePhoenix posted:

Listen I made literally dozens of dollars from that game.

Auction House Tycoon was genius. The demon killing side game was okay I guess.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you can't wait for civ 6, oriental empires is out now and its basically civ in china. its ea, but single player is feature complete. its a bit... hard to learn so far but it seems decent enough

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Davincie posted:

if you can't wait for civ 6, oriental empires is out now and its basically civ in china. its ea, but single player is feature complete. its a bit... hard to learn so far but it seems decent enough

From what I've seen it's more like Total War in China, is it not? The battles are done RTS style on a map, and 90% of the promotional screenshots appear to be of those battles, so I'm not sure it really scratches that empire-building itch.

Edit: Lot of youtubes saying it's a blend of Total War and Civ, so maybe there is a lot to the empire-building aspect after all.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 23, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its 100% tbs, it does look kinda rts when you zoom in, but you can't actually control those battles in real time (nor do they appear to have very much depth). you just tell your guys to use a formation and to go to a hex and then when you hit next turn it plays out. the empire building definitely appears to have more depth to it than the combat, about the same as civ from a quick play i'd say

also the bots are definitely the civ type of rear end in a top hat, asking where your capital is and then attacking right away

Davincie fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 23, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That does sound a bit interesting. I looked at it but based on their steam page it seemed to be Total War Ripoff: China so I didn't see any point in it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's always Beyond Earth. :getin:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Davincie posted:

but you can't actually control those battles in real time (nor do they appear to have very much depth). you just tell your guys to use a formation and to go to a hex and then when you hit next turn it plays out.

I'm glad to hear that because one of the things that put me off Total War was all the faffing around in battles I had to do (I realise that's the point of that game though; it's just not to my taste)

Definitely worth watching a let's play in that case, might put it on my wishlist

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JVNO posted:

If you're in the market for a laptop specifically, I highly recommend the Dell Inspiron 7559.

Man, I'm looking for something like this but more in the 13" variety and 2/3 the weight. :/

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm told the XPS 13 is pretty good this generation, though it's the same price (Maybe a little more?) despite the smaller screen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Peas and Rice posted:

It never really occurred to me that the Mac release wouldn't happen on the same day :smith:

I don't get these OSX woes at all, Macs have been able to boot Windows OSes for a decade. An entire generation of computer users have only ever seen Macs with Intel CPUs at this point.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The White Dragon posted:

I don't get these OSX woes at all, Macs have been able to boot Windows OSes for a decade. An entire generation of computer users have only ever seen Macs with Intel CPUs at this point.

It's great that you have $200 to just throw away on an OS solely for gaming purposes and have the technical knowledge required to utilize Boot Camp.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wacky Delly posted:

My surface skates by. Hopefully won't be too much of a dog for playing on the couch.

Which surface do you have? I've got the SP4 i5 with the ram upgrade and I'm not sure if I can run it :-/

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aerdan posted:

It's great that you have $200 to just throw away on an OS solely for gaming purposes and have the technical knowledge required to utilize Boot Camp.

But you had $1300 to throw into a machine that would cost $700 if it were a PC.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aerdan posted:

Ok I can understand the price point, but you're overshooting it by $100 and even then it's not like at least one of your friends won't have the discs for an extremely common os that they'll just let you use. Unless your friends are all dicks idk?

The technical knowledge to use boot camp isn't an issue and we both know it. It's literally just "search Boot Camp, press Next a few times, wait thirty minutes" and has been this way since like 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For me it's more that I play games like Civ while also doing other things on the computer, and I don't want to have to shut down all those other things, switch OS, and then boot up equivalent programs for all those other things just so I can play Civ (or whatever other game) while doing so. Native is better than dual-booting; I really don't get why this is hard to understand for so many people.