Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

MacGyver was an even worse piece of poo poo than it looked if anyone was wondering

It felt nothing like macgyver. If anything it should have been called mission impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Is the original Macguyver actually a good show? All I know about is the normal cultural osmosis, the bitchin' theme song, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0t29VMq9gk

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Which currently airing TV show is your favorite from an artistic standpoint, specifically in regards to cinematography and mise-en-scène? I think Breaking Bad was king, but its been off the air for three years now and I'm wondering which show has taken its place as the leader of the pack. Mr. Robot's cinematography really impresses me, and I think Breaking Bad was a big influence on it's visual style.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
After reading the first sentence of your post I was going to say Mr. Robot. I'm glad we are of similar minds.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Probably Fargo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, while Mr. Robot has really distinctive and... in your face cinematography, my other favorite show right now is The Americans, and I really like the cinematography in that. Mr. Robot is doing a lot of high concept Fightclub/Beautiful Mind style poo poo designed to gently caress with us, while The Americans is using cinematography to help directly convey how the characters feel in a time and place. I like both.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr. Robot does the nuance stuff well, too, it just gets overshadowed by the flashy stuff. In the Season 2 premiere, there are two scenes of Elliot having a meal with a friend. In the first, both characters are shot off-center, with a large portion of the frame as negative space. This is early in Elliot's day, and the framing shows how he is not balanced. Later, the characters have another meal, in the evening. Now, they are shot directly in the center of the frame, and Elliot has gone through his daily routine and is feeling grounded. It's simple, but a clear choice meant to convey the character's mental state.

In the same episode, when Elliot leaves his home in the morning, the hallway is light such that the bright blue of the wallpaper is prominent. When he comes home, feeling better, the lighting is toned down and the blue gives way to a more balanced mixture of dark blue, pale greens, and orange glow.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 24, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh it does. It's just doing a different thing than The Americans.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spatula City posted:

I already ditched all the superhero shows, and I'm in for Speechless because of Minnie Driver with her natural accent. yessssss. :swoon:

Didn't she have her natural accent in that godawful About A Boy show from 1 or 2 seasons ago?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

MacGyver was an even worse piece of poo poo than it looked if anyone was wondering

It was basically a knockoff of Burn Notice, voice overs and all, except lovely and not in Miami and somehow managing to look lower budget than a USA show. Macgyver was lovely Michael Westin, Nick from CSI was lovely Bruce Campbell, and the black hacker girl was lovely Fiona.

If you think you might want to watch it, don't and just watch the good seasons of Burn Notice.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

blue squares posted:

Which currently airing TV show is your favorite from an artistic standpoint, specifically in regards to cinematography and mise-en-scène?
The Knick is up there--it's on hiatus, but aired fairly recently. Also, Rectify.

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 24, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Macgyver would have been a lot better if it wasn't called Macgyver. It still wouldn't have been good or anything, but it would have been better.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Okay Pitch is pretty good, and I'm not really a baseball person at all.

The stuff at the last minute is kinda whatever to me. I'll have to see where they take it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They won't take it anywhere it's just Field of Dreams again.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

If you think you might want to watch it, don't and just watch the good seasons of Burn Notice.

Speaking of which, a character on Mr. Robot had an incredibly meta burn/shoutout to USA in the finale, and I'm paraphrasing here...

Investigator, during an interrogation: "You think you've got this all figured out because you've seen a bunch of cop shows. Well, guess what. This isn't Burn Notice. There are no blue skies here for you. Characters like you...are definitely not welcome here."

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The Americans consistently pulls off some really well-constructed, visually impactful scenes that mesh really well with the character development and aren't over the top; the dinner in Stingers and interpolated phone call/evil empire speech in March 8, 1983 stand out. The musical montage bits they do are always great.

Re streaming services: Amazon seems to have the most content I want and I already use the shipping stuff so why not, Netflix I keep around because it's cheap and has Futurama, and HBO Now is an expensive, poorly-programmed necessity.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
There were two things of note in the premiere of Hawaii five-0 which i'm sure nobody else here watches. One was a ridiculous and cool extended parkour chase scene, but the other was a bizarre and ghoulish cameo from "Jack Lord" which appeared to be some kind of CGI mannequin who appeared briefly to give some advice on McGarrett's legacy or something. Although the results were a bit iffy that's fairly ambitious for a TV show I think.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Wandle Cax posted:

One was a ridiculous and cool extended parkour chase scene, but the other was a bizarre and ghoulish cameo from "Jack Lord" which appeared to be some kind of CGI mannequin who appeared briefly to give some advice on McGarrett's legacy or something. Although the results were a bit iffy that's fairly ambitious for a TV show I think.

That was really strange, like McGarett was in a TV-land version of a VR game.

Also of note was having the actress who played Keiko from Star Trek: TNG play the mayor, who is named Keiko as well.

The parkour scene was pretty dope.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought that show was just about selling sandwiches.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

timp posted:

Speaking of which, a character on Mr. Robot had an incredibly meta burn/shoutout to USA in the finale, and I'm paraphrasing here...

Investigator, during an interrogation: "You think you've got this all figured out because you've seen a bunch of cop shows. Well, guess what. This isn't Burn Notice. There are no blue skies here for you. Characters like you...are definitely not welcome here."

And apprently on the original airing Darlene was staring at the USA graphic as he said it...

As for artistic shows; Quarry has pretty great direction IMO.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

blue squares posted:

Which currently airing TV show is your favorite from an artistic standpoint, specifically in regards to cinematography and mise-en-scène? I think Breaking Bad was king, but its been off the air for three years now and I'm wondering which show has taken its place as the leader of the pack. Mr. Robot's cinematography really impresses me, and I think Breaking Bad was a big influence on it's visual style.

Rectify, without a doubt.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooooh, Rectify's a really good answer. I think I agree with Mr. Robot as the #1 choice, though, with Rectify and Better Call Saul following.

How the hell has Dr. Ken snagged a second season

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Escobarbarian posted:

How the hell has Dr. Ken snagged a second season

Dave Foley needs money if he ever wants to go back to Canada.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha I forgot about that. How can someone ever be put into a position where they're forced to pay 4 times what they earn, anyway?

edit:

Zaggitz posted:

Jesus loving Christ the Vice Principals finale.

finally finished this. HOOOOLY poo poo

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 24, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Is the original Macguyver actually a good show? All I know about is the normal cultural osmosis, the bitchin' theme song, and

Well, I'm biased given I was thirteen when the original first aired, but ... it's dumb fun. It coasts heavily on Richard Dean Anderson's charm, and I suspect it hasn't aged particularly well.

But it was a million billion times better than the dogshit CBS put on last night, which managed to miss just about everything that made the original fun.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought that show was just about selling sandwiches.

It's also about selling MicrosoftTM products.

And about extolling the virtues of extranational black ops.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 24, 2016

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Macgyver reboot manages to be less spiritually faithful than SNL's Macgruber bits, which you should watch instead.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Guy Mann posted:

MacGyver is super loving 80s man. I watched some of it recently and it's decent, but super cheesy now. The later seasons are the worst once they get huge budget cuts and it's all about "Say No to Drugs".

The show was my childhood, but it hasn't aged well. Richard Dean Anderson is still awesome in it and Lucas Till is absolutely miscast.

gently caress, the CSI dude in the new MacGyver should have been MacGyver.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Easy is such a good show man. I hope it carries on for years. Maybe without Orlando Bloom who really seems to struggle with the improv

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

blue squares posted:

The Leftovers or Preacher.

Mr. Robot is trying way too hard most of the time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Good Place is... more promising than I expected. Janet is the best character.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

FetusSlapper posted:

Dave Foley needs money if he ever wants to go back to Canada.

That situation was cleared up a few years ago.

So was I the only one who watched Van Helsing? I really liked the pilot, it was dark, moody and VERY bloody, with a whole bunch of everybody's favourite Vancouver regulars.

The second episode was a flashback to what happened before the pilot and didn't really tell me anything that was really needed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Norwegian Rudo posted:

That situation was cleared up a few years ago.

So was I the only one who watched Van Helsing? I really liked the pilot, it was dark, moody and VERY bloody, with a whole bunch of everybody's favourite Vancouver regulars.

The second episode was a flashback to what happened before the pilot and didn't really tell me anything that was really needed.

what can I watch Van Helsing on? Oh. Actual television. I'll catch it next year when it's free.

edit: and by free I mean included in the streaming services I pay for.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd be surprised if Van Helsing got a second second. Syfy has a ton of new shows this year. I'm holding off on all of them and will see what shakes loose.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I'd be surprised if Van Helsing got a second second. Syfy has a ton of new shows this year. I'm holding off on all of them and will see what shakes loose.

Almost everything gets a second season on Syfy. Only thing I can think of that didn't the last couple of years was Hunters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weird thing about Van Helsing is that the first episode starts after the vampire stuff and then the second episode is a flashback to before. The problem is that it spends all of the flashback on Vanessa (who was asleep for the majority of the first episode) and the doctor (who is a vampire for the entirety of the first episode.) You don't learn anything else about any of the other characters and it really feels like they should have just flipped the order around. In fact if anyone was thinking about watching it I would recommend doing that.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Yeah, the opening salvo from Van Helsing was a confused and ultimately poor choice. As stated, the flashback episode didn't add anything most of us could grasp from the context of the first, and to do something like that so early in the season is just awkward.

In other news, Z Nation rules #1, just like Vees.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

The weird thing about Van Helsing is that the first episode starts after the vampire stuff and then the second episode is a flashback to before. The problem is that it spends all of the flashback on Vanessa (who was asleep for the majority of the first episode) and the doctor (who is a vampire for the entirety of the first episode.) You don't learn anything else about any of the other characters and it really feels like they should have just flipped the order around. In fact if anyone was thinking about watching it I would recommend doing that.

Agreed. There was nothing there that couldn't have been told in 8 minutes of flashbacks in an episode that actually carried the story forward. Like I said, I really liked the pilot (the part where they're trying to drag the bodies along the hallway that's so slick with blood that they keep sliding was hilarious), so I'm hopeful the series continues in that vein next week.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

I unironically just took your advice and did this and, yeah, makes much more sense that way. Makes me wonder if that was the original intended order and some TV exec made them change it Firefly style or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Pitch pilot glorifies abusive parenting a bit much, no?

• Locked thread