Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Parallax posted:

Is there any reason you don't want to mention specific titles? I'm part of the beta but I don't remember any NDA or anything

I found TOS on some part of their site and it basically said 'we reserve the right to delete your account if you're caught sharing screenshots'. I'm just trying to play it safe since beta testers are going to get an unknown free amount of service after launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Has there been any word anywhere about VPNing into the service?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

(B X 4) X 3

The Before Trilogy

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

nah i think it's 12 Angry Men again (the bees represent men)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Here's hoping for Jerry Seinfeld's Bee Movie (2007).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cacator posted:

Dammit you beat me to this.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Cacator posted:

It's obviously The Wicker Man with Nicolas Cage.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uh it's obviously MIB 3

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slate Action posted:

(B X 4) X 3

The Before Trilogy

i'm dead now. this news made me die of happiness. rip escobarbarian

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Please oh please Candyman.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Wax, Or The Discovery Of Television Among The Bees

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's The Deadly Bees, The Savage Bees, and Irwin Allen's The Swarm. Obviously a boxed set.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

mod sassinator posted:

Please oh please Candyman.

Hot drat, if only

E: are the sequels any good?

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 31, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It's clearly The Nice Guys

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Guys, it's the Wu Tang Clan's collected videos. There's 12 bees, in 3 clusters. 12 x 3 = 36. 36 as in the 36 Chambers from their first album title - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). Wu-Tang also refers to themselves as Killer Bees, and some of their music videos have a strong bee motif. There's also 9 official members of the group. Once again, 9+3 = 12, thus the 12 Bees on the Cover.

Finally, we'll be able to appreciate "M-E-T-H-O-D Man" music video in its HD glory, with hopefully numerous commentary tracks and a large booklet featuring scholarly articles on their music videos.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Guys, it's the Wu Tang Clan's collected videos. There's 12 bees, in 3 clusters. 12 x 3 = 36. 36 as in the 36 Chambers from their first album title - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). Wu-Tang also refers to themselves as Killer Bees, and some of their music videos have a strong bee motif. There's also 9 official members of the group. Once again, 9+3 = 12, thus the 12 Bees on the Cover.

Finally, we'll be able to appreciate "M-E-T-H-O-D Man" music video in its HD glory, with hopefully numerous commentary tracks and a large booklet featuring scholarly articles on their music videos.

gently caress I want this, if only for Triumph

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Hot drat, if only

E: are the sequels any good?

No. Even if you're the kind of person who likes sequels like Hellraiser 2 & 3.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Woah don't lump Hellraiser 2 in with 3.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Hellraiser II is legit nuts and entertaining. III is poop. Candyman sequels are straight garb. That is all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on Blood Simple

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

December Releases:

The Asphalt Jungle
Fellini's Roma
The Heart of a Dog
The Exterminating Angel (Blu upgrade)

Also, The Tree of Wooden Clogs has been moved to February 2017 and McCabe & Mrs. Miller to October.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I haven't seen any of those

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Haven't seen Roma, I quite liked Heart of a Dog and Exterminating Angel, and thought Asphalt Jungle was fairly dull.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Exterminating Angel might be my favourite Bunuel next to Belle de Jour but I don't think it necessitates an upgrade.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Anyone ever buy these things when Barns & Noble isn't having it's sale?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

A local record store of mine usually sells the blurays for $25 when for about a month after first release and then $30 the after that. Sometimes they'll give me a 20% off coupon and they have a loyalty program where you can get stuff half off if collect enough points. I got Scanners for about $10 when it released.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

A couple of times, when it's been something I really wanted, but that hasn't happened in a while. It helps that I'm not worried about anything going out of print anymore.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Only if it's going out of print.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Same; basically, my plan is to get a bunch during the B&N sales, and also several during the Criterion flash sales (since eventually they give you $50 in free fun bucks if you buy enough). So four times a year, I indulge my habit of blind-buying pretentious foreign dramas I watch in an afternoon while cooking/cleaning, all in the name of eating my cultural vegetables.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This back half of the year is going to ruin my wallet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got The Immortal Story and Chimes at Midnight as an early birthday present.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This back half of the year is going to ruin my wallet.

Seriously. Last year, I felt like I had finally purchased all the essentials I wanted so far. I saw Blood Simple a few years ago and that became a must-have. I've held off on Pan's Labyrinth because of the New Line Blu being fairly awful.

Also, my Dr. Strangelove Blu has gone missing, so that's enough excuse for me to get the Criterion in the next sale. Second time I've lost the film... I let someone borrow the 40th anniversary DVD and they never returned it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, my Dr. Strangelove Blu has gone missing, so that's enough excuse for me to get the Criterion in the next sale. Second time I've lost the film... I let someone borrow the 40th anniversary DVD and they never returned it.

Ironic given the ending song.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got linked to this blog where a guy complains about sound quality on blu-ray releases. He claims Criterion especially use liberal amounts of noise reduction. Any merit, or just some dude being dorky? http://blah-ray.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-is-this-site.html

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Escobarbarian posted:

Got linked to this blog where a guy complains about sound quality on blu-ray releases. He claims Criterion especially use liberal amounts of noise reduction. Any merit, or just some dude being dorky? http://blah-ray.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-is-this-site.html

Audiophiles are all crazy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Some of those examples are way off. Also, how the hell is an iTunes file reference against an LPCM track? This is as bad as the people holding up their VHS and laserdiscs as reference against a 4K mastered Blu-Ray. Ridiculous.

I do agree that the 5.1 mixes for Psycho, Gone with the Wind, and The Manchurian Candidate are garbage, though. The new 5.1 of Vertigo on Blu-Ray is fantastic, though. The 5.1 on the old DVDs wasn't horrible, but distracting and not balanced well. The new track actually sounds like a 50s 4-track stereo mix. I'm surprised Gone with the Wind sounds as bad as it does since the original DME (separate dialogue/effects/music) tracks exist as does the complete score.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Speaking of Manchurian Candidate, how the hell is that movie a classic? I couldn't finish it; there's no suspense at all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

blue squares posted:

Speaking of Manchurian Candidate, how the hell is that movie a classic? I couldn't finish it; there's no suspense at all.

I'm not a huge fan of it, but I always perceived it as more satire than a thriller.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

It was a documentary; read up on the jfk assassination

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

blue squares posted:

It helps significantly if you're deathly afraid of Russians and communists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you can't appreciate Angela Lansbury's performance in The Manchurian Candidate, then I don't know what to tell you. She can monologue with the best of them.