Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How did they listen to fan feedback enough to put in a stash post-release, but not enough to put in a goddamn 'no intro movie' and 'no loading narration' option come on.

Also a pause-on-load, this takes ages and I alt-tab and watch youtube.

EDIT speaking of convenience oh yes I hope this Torch mod works as advertised

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MikeJF posted:

How did they listen to fan feedback enough to put in a stash post-release, but not enough to put in a goddamn 'no intro movie' and 'no loading narration' option come on.

Also a pause-on-load, this takes ages and I alt-tab and watch youtube.

EDIT speaking of convenience oh yes I hope this Torch mod works as advertised

You can skip the intros with button presses and the narration IS a loading screen. You can also skip that early if you keep mashing the button since sometimes the narration takes longer than loading does. Not sure how they could have done that differently other than a black screen for loading?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True. The first is just annoyance; the second with the narration is that I end up sitting there, hammering the button, then have to wait for the final finish-loading afterwards. Plus it's a very annoying narration the twentieth time you've heard it. Mostly it's just a bit of irritation.

Kinda like how torches are crazy easy (thank god), but I still really miss the lantern mod from Skyrim.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There are a couple of mods that turn off loading screen narration.

It's the worst when you decide to do a bunch of side-quests that require you to travel to different maps and leave the main quest for a while.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Came into the thread when I started the game, didn't read diddly since you were all doing spoilers (and I can't NOT click on those tempting black bars!) and just finished the game and am running headlong into Kaer Morhen on NG+, and have now caught up.

Some queries: Why is whirl so good early game and then start to suck SO HARD later? With that and ekkimara that gives vitality every hit you were an unstoppable killing machine... for about 10 levels hen bupkus. I roll with troll, ekkimara and "using stamina recovers vitality" decoctions since none of the others seemed SUPER useful. Sometimes I swap out for werewolf (since mounting the horse is a PITA and running everywhere is faster sometimes, especially with odd terrain to navigate). Is there anything I'm missing because I was terrible?

How easily could I unlock the extra ability slots/mutagens from whichever DLC? I'm 61 now and the intro BaW/HoS quests are marked as 67/71 respectively. Would I just get one-shot through a Quen from literally anything there, so I shouldn't even bother until I basically finish the main quest, or what?

team hunchback icequeen forever

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Maybe it doesn't get bad until later but the fact that whirl stunlocks everything and triggers the instant death effect is still pretty hilarious at level 38, especially with the rune that gives more range

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do you need to have enhanced mind control equipped to use it in dialogue?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So "Kill the servers" worked for about 5 hours, then spent the last day giving me the "no servers are available right now" error. Working as intended, I guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oooo, a wolf mask.

I see no reason to ever take this off.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

MikeJF posted:

Do you need to have enhanced mind control equipped to use it in dialogue?

Yep, you do indeed!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Xander77 posted:

So "Kill the servers" worked for about 5 hours, then spent the last day giving me the "no servers are available right now" error. Working as intended, I guess.

The testing period was only five hours long. They got their data and turned it off.

It'll be up for a few hours more on Tuesday.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

MikeJF posted:

Oooo, a wolf mask.

I see no reason to ever take this off.

To wear the bird mask of course.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

StoneOfShame posted:

Wolf gear looks the best so it should always be your ultimate goal.

Does it have a scarf? No? Then it can gently caress off

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Does it have a scarf? No? Then it can gently caress off

A dope jacket is better than a scarf.

The correct order is wolf > bear > cat > manticore > viper > griffin.

Griffin is clearly the worst because it makes Geralt look fat.

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nice botchling bro

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That must be Lambert Lambert posting.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The only appropriate response is:

"Eskel! Chop chop!"

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

StoneOfShame posted:

A dope jacket is better than a scarf.

The correct order is wolf > bear > cat > manticore > viper > griffin.

Griffin is clearly the worst because it makes Geralt look fat.

What a ridiculously wrong opinion.

Griffon is far and away the best. It's not even close.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sometimes I look at the Witcher 3 in my Steam list and I think about starting it over or doing some of the things missing from my save - a few sidequests in Blood & Wine and particularly the Hanse Bases, as well as the alternate ending to B&W -, but the ending I got felt so perfect after seven books and three games (Yennefer and Geralt happy in their little house with Ciri as the future Empress, plus the final scene with Regis) that I can't bring myself to start playing it again. It is like, it is just perfect the way it is and touching it again would dimish it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ZearothK posted:

Sometimes I look at the Witcher 3 in my Steam list and I think about starting it over or doing some of the things missing from my save - a few sidequests in Blood & Wine and particularly the Hanse Bases, as well as the alternate ending to B&W -, but the ending I got felt so perfect after seven books and three games (Yennefer and Geralt happy in their little house with Ciri as the future Empress, plus the final scene with Regis) that I can't bring myself to start playing it again. It is like, it is just perfect the way it is and touching it again would dimish it.
If only you knew how Ciri truly felt (according to the game) :argh:

I didn't romance anyone, so Ciri came to visit me at the end of B&W. :sigh:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZearothK posted:

You will get the itch to do it again, but let the game sit for a while. It's what I do whenever I want to run through a super long game like Knights of the Old Republic again, so it feels fresh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

You will get the itch to do it again, but let the game sit for a while. It's what I do whenever I want to run through a super long game like Knights of the Old Republic again, so it feels fresh.

KotoR 1 or 2?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
After 172 hours, I finally finished this beast of a game. It's so incredibly fun and probably the prettiest game i have ever seen. Not just because the graphics are good, but because the artistic direction as well. Those mountain ranges at dusk!

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Man, this is me with any very story focused game. Like, I hear people talking about Witcher 3, and I know it's great, I loved every second of it and would like to play it again, but I'd end up making all the same decisions because that's "my" story. There aren't a lot of games that make me feel that way, but this series does.

Of course, I'm getting close to a point where playing it again even making the same decisions sounds pretty good to me... Which brings up, how is NG+? I looked at it a while back and seemed like there wasn't much point. Some higher level Witcher gear, but seemed like it may not matter because of how everything is going to scale?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
What is that giant tree in the very south east? I tried to get to it but gave up with the crazy mountain passes and confusing tunnels. I don't remember the game ever sending me there either, but maybe I just forgot. It's been a while.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
It's part of the main quest, pretty late in the game.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Look at all these people not dressing in pimp Cossack robes with optional specs :colbert: That's the best looking combo as far as any armor goes, Manticore if only proper sets.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Flumpus posted:

Of course, I'm getting close to a point where playing it again even making the same decisions sounds pretty good to me... Which brings up, how is NG+? I looked at it a while back and seemed like there wasn't much point. Some higher level Witcher gear, but seemed like it may not matter because of how everything is going to scale?

I'd like to know the answer to this, too. From what I know of NG+ there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage, if any, over just starting NG again.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Flumpus posted:

Man, this is me with any very story focused game. Like, I hear people talking about Witcher 3, and I know it's great, I loved every second of it and would like to play it again, but I'd end up making all the same decisions because that's "my" story. There aren't a lot of games that make me feel that way, but this series does.

Anti-Hero posted:

I'd like to know the answer to this, too. From what I know of NG+ there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage, if any, over just starting NG again.

Not really significantly different, it just upscales the levels on everything and there are new "Legendary" gear sets with all the same tiers (base Legendary, enhanced Legendary, superior Legendary etc).

I would say NG+ on max difficulty with level scaling is slightly tougher and you don't trivialize combat as quickly as in regular NG. Either way barring a few specific fights the combat is not gonna be all that difficult if you've finished the game already.

The main difference is starting with 0 ability points vs. starting with 50-60+ and all your alchemy stuff and gear. I prefer NG+ because I like having all the tools from full gear/spec/alchemy, it makes combat more fun and varied for me and you can always mix it up and try out different builds and tactics. Geralt is a grizzled veteran monster hunter and master swordsman, I like starting the game feeling like that and don't mind that there isn't much ability progression with level playing NG+.

NG+ also allows you to play through all of the dialogue wearing shades or donkey ears, so there's that.

IMO second runthroughs should be NG+ on max difficulty with minimap turned off. The game truly can get immersive enough that the minimap is distracting you from noticing a lot of cool details.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 25, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pellisworth posted:

NG+ also allows you to play through all of the dialogue wearing shades or donkey ears, so there's that.

IMO second runthroughs should be NG+ on max difficulty with minimap turned off. The game truly can get immersive enough that the minimap is distracting you from noticing a lot of cool details.

WIthout the minimap the game would have taken me 10 times as long. :eyepop:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Drifter posted:

WIthout the minimap the game would have taken me 10 times as long. :eyepop:

Less so than you'd think. There are plenty of landmarks and the towns and environments are unique enough they're easy to navigate if you pay attention.

There was a mod linked a while back that I think hides your minimap except when using Witcher senses (?) That would be a good compromise, hide it most of the time so you're not staring at it constantly but easy access if you want to check it quickly.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Drifter posted:

KotoR 1 or 2?

I liked KOTOR 2 more even with all its flaws, but if you've not played it with the Restored Content mod you should. They basically recovered 95% of the stuff that was left out.

Took em ten years but it was done. The efforts of many groups and I think it just finished up like a year or two ago.

Droid planet owns.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I've only just started playing Gwent in Witcher 3, I've just reached Novigrad, and I'm terrible at it. All the guides I've read online seem to assume I have some unique card from White Orchard that I'm now apparently unable to get. Am I screwed y/n

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gato posted:

I've only just started playing Gwent in Witcher 3, I've just reached Novigrad, and I'm terrible at it. All the guides I've read online seem to assume I have some unique card from White Orchard that I'm now apparently unable to get. Am I screwed y/n

I'm fairly certain you can find the scholar again at Hangman's tree in Velen.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Started this game on Death March difficulty and I'm 25 hours in. This is the perfect difficulty level. For anything near my level, if I don't have a build and potions and oils, I'm toast. :D

While just puttering around in the tutorial, I rebound dodge to mouse 4 because I knew I was going to use it constantly. I was right. Dodging is insanely strong in this game.

Edit: Also, I avoided taking gourmet because that is clearly gamebreakingly powerful at low levels. Reading over the descriptions, I suspect the other super cheesy skills are the activatable Quen shield and any build that would allow you to drink a synergistic combo of decoctions instead of just one.

Zooloo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 26, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

KotoR 1 or 2?

Both. KOTOR 2 is definitely the better game, but I still love the original. It was my first real PC game and I've played it at least a dozen times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Does the "I can quit anytime I want" achievement require exactly seven potions or decoctions? Because I took 10 and didn't get the achievement.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Do armor dyes drop in the main game since I have the DLC installed, even if there aren't any dye merchants until B&W?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Zoolooman posted:

Do armor dyes drop in the main game since I have the DLC installed, even if there aren't any dye merchants until B&W?

no.