Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Theta Zero posted:

Call me crazy but when I'm playing Zenyatta and I get gold for eliminations, healing, and damage done when we have two DPS classes (McCree and Reaper) and a Mercy, doesn't that mean that our DPS classes aren't doing their job?

Probably? But damage can be warped by shooting shields and eliminations don't inherently mean that much since you can get them for tiny chips of damage. If you want to know if someone is "doing their job," try to actually pay attention and see if they're dying early, getting picks, or contributing in large team fights

Also keep in mind that there are multiple reasons a DPS might be having a bad game. Are you keeping your healing orb on the Roadhog who keeps hanging around eating spam in choke instead of on the Genji who's actually fighting someone ahead? Is your Reinhardt alive to give McCree a shield to fire through, or are they charging forward and dying over and over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Theta Zero posted:

Call me crazy but when I'm playing Zenyatta and I get gold for eliminations, healing, and damage done when we have two DPS classes (McCree and Reaper) and a Mercy, doesn't that mean that our DPS classes aren't doing their job?

Unless someone is seriously loving up or has spent significantly more time in the match as someone else before switching to a healer the healing medals should pretty much always go Lucio > Mercy > Zen/Anna with Anna MABY taking it from Mercy if she is super on point with her healing.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If someone is hitting shields it is better than not hitting anything or not shooting so any dps that can't out damage a tank or healer class is doing bad

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I know sometimes gold medals can be flukes, but I think people take that idea too far and wind up in sillypants "Zenyatta got a Fake gold medal by shooting a shield and actually the DPS who couldn't kill anyone were doing fine!!" land.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Supercar Gautier posted:

I know sometimes gold medals can be flukes, but I think people take that idea too far and wind up in sillypants "Zenyatta got a Fake gold medal by shooting a shield and actually the DPS who couldn't kill anyone were doing fine!!" land.

I have a similar opinion of the "whoever smelt it, dealt it" response when asked if someone can go healer.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Assists count as elims, so bouncing your discord orb will get you a bunch probably

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zen can legit get gold elims and damage, he's not exactly lucio. he should not be getting gold for healing tho. even roadhog can sometimes out heal zen, the other healers should never be losing that contest if they're doing their job

also don't discount shield damage, you should focus down rein's shield if you can. focus firing it down really hurts the other team a lot and opens them up to an earthshatter from your reinhardt (if you have one anyway). medals don't mean a whole lot but doing a bunch of shield damage is absolutely valid and something you should be trying to do

ImPureAwesome posted:

Assists count as elims, so bouncing your discord orb will get you a bunch probably

this is only half true, damage assists count as eliminations but support assists don't (unless you're looking at your stats on watcher.gg, anyway)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

In Overwatch, "Assists" are specifically a support thing, and they're counted differently from eliminations. A defensive assist is when a teammate you're healing gets a kill. An offensive assist is when a teammate kills someone with the benefit of your damage-boost or discord orb. I don't think they're counted as elims unless you also contributed some of the damage.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Oh, interesting. I assumed it didn't care

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it does and discord/heal/nanoboost assists don't count as eliminations. the only way to get an elimination is to deal damage to someone within a certain timeframe before their death, tho I'm not sure how long the window is, or to finish them off yourself

however, one of the stat sites actually does count your assists as eliminations (watcher.gg). like on overbuff my mercy k/d in qp is 1.7 but on watcher it's 4.4 because it counts all assists, not just eliminations where someone else finished the kill for you

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lmao the top guy on the pc leaderboards, dongjun, goes from a 4 k/d as zen on overbuff to over 14 on watcher. that's amazing

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

3 out of my 4 last games.

Widowmaker PotG.

:psyduck:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

PaulC posted:

Probably? But damage can be warped by shooting shields and eliminations don't inherently mean that much since you can get them for tiny chips of damage. If you want to know if someone is "doing their job," try to actually pay attention and see if they're dying early, getting picks, or contributing in large team fights

Also keep in mind that there are multiple reasons a DPS might be having a bad game. Are you keeping your healing orb on the Roadhog who keeps hanging around eating spam in choke instead of on the Genji who's actually fighting someone ahead? Is your Reinhardt alive to give McCree a shield to fire through, or are they charging forward and dying over and over again?

The enemy team didn't have a Zarya or a Reinhardt, it was just a Roadhog and D.Va. I prioritized my healing targets to be the Mercy first, and then any flankers who are currently attacking along with anybody who desperately needed healing. The question isn't my capability as Zenyatta, but the very same Reaper I watch miss five shots against a fellow Reaper that did nothing but jump around to dodge claimed that getting gold in damage and eliminations meant nothing.

Also I checked with one of the people I was queuing with who was playing with Zarya, and he got silver for damage and bronze for eliminations, which I'm pretty sure is also a bad sign.

Regardless, I got the rank I wanted so I can just ignore competitive now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I wish the medals would be revealed at the end of the match only.

Every. Single. Time you get a "b-b-b-but I have GOLD in DAMAGE and ELIMINATIONS, so I am right and you are wrong" from an offensive Torb, a horrible Hanzo or a D.VA who does nothing but brakka-brakka-brakka into Reinhardts shield.

And every Torb reassured us last night that he would carry us. Is this the new trolling meta?
Their turret hardly ever lasted more than 5 seconds, they molten core'd on their countless long walks back from spawn and none got a PotG. But Gold in Eliminations. Congrats for nicking an enemy I guess.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Please let me savor my midas-touched stat sheet as I revel in being the muderbuddha robot boy on a bad team.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I've been playing a lot of ana lately and I really like how aim intensive and impactful her abilities are. In a game where nobody's on comms, you see a reaper sneaking on top of your team and can't alert them, landing that sleep dart is the difference between a team wipe and a reaper wasting his ult and dying, snowballing the fight in our favor. Or landing clutch snipe heals on low hp allies that help them win fights where they would've otherwise died. Or sniping the other team's mercy right before a fight breaks out. Or tossing a grenade into the black hole and watching their zeny sit there glowing while the rest of his team dies. Plus you get to turn one of your friends into a glowing death machine almost every fight.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Streaming diamond ranked. Just had the best game ever.

https://www.twitch.tv/rbxbot

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
When did shooting Reinhardt's shield become the mark of poor playing? Did I miss a memo or something?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

When did shooting Reinhardt's shield become the mark of poor playing? Did I miss a memo or something?
It isn't.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kenshin posted:

It isn't.

It always comes up with the "but I have gold medals!" argument though, how that doesn't really matter because they were just shooting Rein's shield. On the one hand I agree that medals are generally a worthless metric for performance, on the other hand if that dude over there has gold for shooting Rein's shield the real question is why isn't anyone else shooting the fuckin thing?

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

It always comes up with the "but I have gold medals!" argument though, how that doesn't really matter because they were just shooting Rein's shield. On the one hand I agree that medals are generally a worthless metric for performance, on the other hand if that dude over there has gold for shooting Rein's shield the real question is why isn't anyone else shooting the fuckin thing?

Maybe the DPS weren't able to shoot the Rein shield because they were always walking back from spawn after dying due to no healing from the healer with a shield fetish?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Breaking Rein shield is super important and if your team isn't doing it you are setting yourselves up for failure. His shield being up and ready for use astronomically increases the risk of an ultimate or a combo of ultimates failing to secure the kills they need to. Once his shield breaks his team is completely vulnerable, especially if they fail to properly position in a place where they can withdraw to actual hard cover in the event that he has to bring his shield down.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
I wish NRG could start taking matches off top teams instead of just styling on the lower tier ones :(

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Why do people not use push to talk? Do they enjoy having me hear every click of their keyboard?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

It also seems to be the go-to argument for D.Va's worthlessness, regardless of how she's actually played: "all she does is shoot Reinhardt's shield!"

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Hey morons, shoot the shield. It's better than doing nothing else useful

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I shoot the shield

As Mercy :grin:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I was thinking to myself lately that what Overwatch needs is a defense hero that has a revamped GES Bio-Rifle from Unreal Tournament.

It's sort of a different take on the grenade launcher. Aiming is less important than locking down an area, but where grenades bounce around and cause chaos, the Bio-Rifle would lock down an area by slowly filling bits up with terrible goo that would blow up and do massive damage if disturbed.

"Interesting physics" aside, I think that that type of gun would be easy enough to implement into the Overwatch world and not feel out of place.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I shoot the shield

As Mercy :grin:

Good. If your teammates aren't hitting stuff, then damage boosting them is a losing proposition. You should also blow up Sentry Guns, since you're honestly super good at it.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Ersatz posted:

It also seems to be the go-to argument for D.Va's worthlessness, regardless of how she's actually played: "all she does is shoot Reinhardt's shield!"

Does anyone think D.Va is worthless? She is probably my best character and just all around good. Or is the idea she takes up a tank slot instead of choosing Reinhardt? Also as D.Va you don't shoot his shield, you boost in behind him or shove him around.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Dva is great (for charging zarya ult)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

outy posted:

no healing from the healer with a shield fetish?

You shouldn't be mad at Zenyatta or Lucio for shooting stuff, shields or otherwise. Their heals do not in fact become stronger when they stop shooting.

If you are playing with a Mercy who's trying to break Reinhardt's shield with her pistol, then.... condolences on getting placed in bronze league i guess?

Shnag posted:

Also as D.Va you don't shoot his shield, you boost in behind him or shove him around.

It depends. Generally, behind Rein is where the bad guys are, and if you boost over there you'll be surrounded, so you have to weigh such things before cannonballing in there. My flowchart is:
-Can I survive focus-fire from the enemy players who are crowded behind Rein?
-Is there a safer perch above Rein I can bother him from?
-Is there something useful I can do elsewhere, like buddy up with a flanker?
-If no to all three, shoot the shield.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 25, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Commoners posted:

Breaking Rein shield is super important and if your team isn't doing it you are setting yourselves up for failure. His shield being up and ready for use astronomically increases the risk of an ultimate or a combo of ultimates failing to secure the kills they need to. Once his shield breaks his team is completely vulnerable, especially if they fail to properly position in a place where they can withdraw to actual hard cover in the event that he has to bring his shield down.

I see breaking the shield as #1 job when I'm soldier. I just dump fire at that thing unless someone comes out.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I feel like the current tiebreaker system is even worse than sudden death. If one team has 0 time left and the other one has time left, just let them win. You're wasting everyone's time by forcing an incredibly easy take-the-first-point garbagematch.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

On the other hand I've won several games while pushing the cart on overtime the whole match then stopped the enemy team at the first point. So just be better?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Disable overtime after the time bank rounds kick in

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nah, overtime is the only reason a 1-minute round is even feasible. It's on the defense to be able to wipe the attackers at least once, and if they can't do it, attack deserves the advantage.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ya blizzard is set on every playable moment having some faint hope of causing a win. The iterations are getting better, at least.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Ok then overtime counter doesn't reset to full. If both teams do the same in the first rounds it should be more like sudden death than do over rounds

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
One of my favorite things to do as tracer or genji is to gently caress with the reinhardt to get him to drop his shield. They get so mad and few of them have faith in their teammates to protect them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Shnag posted:

Does anyone think D.Va is worthless? She is probably my best character and just all around good. Or is the idea she takes up a tank slot instead of choosing Reinhardt? Also as D.Va you don't shoot his shield, you boost in behind him or shove him around.
I'm a huge D.Va fan, but Zarya's a strong counter and Zarya is everywhere in the current meta.