Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

was expectin this would be an everyFrameAPainting vid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Shitenshi posted:

Good finale, but Joanna is starting to become obnoxious instead of creepy. She gets the poo poo beaten out of her and she isn't remotely frazzled afterwards even with a totally bruised face. Wouldn't it be great if her cliched Machiavellian plan with framing Scott as his wife's killer turned out to completely blow back on her and just expose what a goddamn weirdo she is?

And seriously rolling my eyes at some of the comments here. Between the liberal labeling of filler on drat fine entertaining storylines like the Shayla hostage arc and the creepy prison encounters and Elliot's own subsequent mindfuck, and the ridiculous fan theories that people just need to make sense otherwise they deem it bad writing in a show which is all about loving with the viewer's perception and deliberately leaving out crucial plot info until it sees fit to clarify, I'm starting to wonder if people here enjoy anything.
Joanna loves getting choked, slapped, and punched. She's into BDSM. To be honest, while Scott was beating her, I was waiting to hear her let out a bit of an orgasmic moan. The fact that she's perfectly calm is within her character's bounds.

As for the rest, you're obviously skimming the thread since I've now stated multiple times that the "filler" is within the context of transferring the plot from a movie to a tv show, which FYI is the same context it's normally used anyway: transference of plot from a shorter medium to a longer medium. Its on you if you define it as a negative connotation related to poor production value. My statements have been purely on how it's defined and been used this season. The show is fantastic but that doesn't put it above critical analysis. Character whiplash is a problem (Angela) and cyclical conflict is a problem (the point of jail) but the rest is entertaining as gently caress, never get me wrong on that.

KoRMaK posted:

was expectin this would be an everyFrameAPainting vid
Here is the EFaP version of the video, which came out last year, and IMHO is a superior explanation just being copied by someone riding on coattails but... eh, teaching is something I don't mind blatant plagiarism on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsI8UES59TM

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 25, 2016

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure the finale's title card, especially with the 80s almost-industrial electro music, was a nod to Gibson's "The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel."

Apologies if someone else already figured that out, I'm still catching up on the thread.

ai plot confirmed

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Brock Samson posted:

No Scott, choking her only makes her stronger wetter!

FTFY. Seriously, though, I swear her toes were curling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really thought he broke her jaw, but she seemed fine later. So Scott must really be a weak, pathetic wuss. To punch someone repeatedly while their head is on a marble slab and not break anything is kind of impressive. Like eben if he didn't break his hand or her face, the impact of her head against the marble could have easily fractured her skull.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

crowoutofcontext posted:

Both work in security.

Rose recalls a sister that doesn't exist, Elliot does not recall a sister that does exist.

Both put the life of their pet fish in Angela's hand!

I really don't think White Rose was recalling a sister that doesn't exist, but rather just hiding the fact that he has an alter ego to an FBI agent.

Edit: content

I love the similarities someone posted about White Rose, Elliot, and their relationship with time. I never even considered that. I think it's great fun trying to figure out where this show and its story is going to go. Some of it is kind of confusing and it only made a bit of sense once I started reading this thread, but god drat does this thread dive head first into tvtrope forum territory.

I can see why that one guy was worried about people theory crafting a 17, 71 connection. :tinfoil:

But anyways, I think Joanna is an incredible character that completely blew me away. I've never seen a more cunning and loving surgical viper of character. Her eyes really help sell it. Cersi is a cold bitch of a character, but her demeanor doesn't hold a candle to the confidence and sheer willpower the character Joanna exudes. I'd be a hell of a lot more scared of being in her sights than Cersi.

Cersi would watch and smile as I got stabbed in the back by a cronie, Joanna would be expressionless as she whispered my worst fears into my ear and raked the knife down my spine, all the while burning my soul into oblivion with a point blank :stare:

Now I'm scared. :ohdear: someone hold me.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 26, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

wait, i thought Whiterose's reference to a "sister" is just herself?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm kind of ashamed it took me forever to figure out who BD Wong was. I was even looking for him cause his name is in the credits!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

wait, i thought Whiterose's reference to a "sister" is just herself?

Well technically yeah, I was just saying I didn't think it was an intended similarity worth mentioning but more of an excuse as to why a the publicly male
Chinese Minister of State Security has women's dresses. Rather than pass it off as a fetish or gender identity, it's much easier to just be like "Oh, those are um, my sisters."

:tinfoil:Maybe there really is a twin sister!:tinfoil:

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 26, 2016

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Snak posted:

I really thought he broke her jaw, but she seemed fine later. So Scott must really be a weak, pathetic wuss. To punch someone repeatedly while their head is on a marble slab and not break anything is kind of impressive. Like eben if he didn't break his hand or her face, the impact of her head against the marble could have easily fractured her skull.

In TV land, fights are no big deal. You can basically fight forever and nothing will really happen. Also if you have serious surgery you can just run out of the hospital and be fine.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Mr Robot quantum leaps into Elliot each episode

Edit: Whiterose is trying to build that remote from sliders

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

waitwhatno posted:

It's cold fusion

Gonna save the world from ecological collapse, prevent wars for fossil fuels and finally bring us flying cars.

Plot twist is that it requires an exotic rare earth that can only be found in the Congo. Whiterose will mine it all and hide it all away, only releasing it to the world under the condition that we stop making GBS threads where we eat and also that American Imperator Donald the Beautiful abdicates from his throne of skulls

I dare you to come up with a dumber theory, I double date you :colbert:

I'll try.

Everything you said, plus Elliot is either an android, or his brain has been altered cybernetically to become the physical manifestation of quantum computing software that is currently in beta until the Dark Army can harvest enough time until the device is actually built.

Angela was just initiated into the program (:v:) and now believes in a higher purpose for humanity. White Rose is actually the name of the new zetagonal core processor by Intel (a subsidiary of Ecorp) that can actually influence the creation of the computer from its perceived past, to become more efficient by basically updating it's own drivers, (like recruiting Elliot and Angela) from the future by making better choices in the past, and less reliant on humans with all their "wants" and "needs".

Also, plus the Time Cop theory.

:chord: I'll take my Emmy on the veranda.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 26, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Did you miss the entire scene with him? Joanna got closer to the bartender who was at the party where Tyrell killed Scotty2Drunky's wife. Joanna was stringing him along this entire season just so she could eventually get him to give Tyrell an alibi to the murder of Scott's wife. "I love you." "Great, now let's go over that false story I just told you so you can prove my husband's innocence and put Scott away in jail for life."

I'm writing a post about poo poo you guys haven't mentioned yet, one sec...

Plus, you know, a girl has needs, and she has that boy pretty well in harness...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

I hope theres an explanation for some of the poo poo on the whiteboard next season because it seems crazy that the FBI would be able to link Joanna to the parking lot guy without an informant or a wire tap or something.

Well, the FBI was investigating Tyrell, and that was his SUV with Elliot asleep in it in that lot for three days.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

That woman has set attractive to a new level. Her eyes are just piercing

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Snak posted:

On the other hand, it is a TV show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know. I just thought that the way she was holding her jaw after he stopped was supposed to indicate that she was actually hurt.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I guess she managed to keep those eCorp executive bennies, including top-shelf health insurance. That was nice of them.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I really don't think White Rose was recalling a sister that doesn't exist, but rather just hiding the fact that he has an alter ego to an FBI agent.

Edit: content

I love the similarities someone posted about White Rose, Elliot, and their relationship with time. I never even considered that. I think it's great fun trying to figure out where this show and its story is going to go. Some of it is kind of confusing and it only made a bit of sense once I started reading this thread, but god drat does this thread dive head first into tvtrope forum territory.

I can see why that one guy was worried about people theory crafting a 17, 71 connection. :tinfoil:

But anyways, I think Joanna is an incredible character that completely blew me away. I've never seen a more cunning and loving surgical viper of character. Her eyes really help sell it. Cersi is a cold bitch of a character, but her demeanor doesn't hold a candle to the confidence and sheer willpower the character Joanna exudes. I'd be a hell of a lot more scared of being in her sights than Cersi.

Cersi would watch and smile as I got stabbed in the back by a cronie, Joanna would be expressionless as she whispered my worst fears into my ear and raked the knife down my spine, all the while burning my soul into oblivion with a point blank :stare:

I agree, Joanna owns

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Joanna triggering the CTO to attack her was one of the most intense bits of that finale despite it being fairly telegraphed a mile away if you know her character. Joanna owns

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Well technically yeah, I was just saying I didn't think it was an intended similarity worth mentioning but more of an excuse as to why a the publicly male
Chinese Minister of State Security has women's dresses. Rather than pass it off as a fetish or gender identity, it's much easier to just be like "Oh, those are um, my sisters."

:tinfoil:Maybe there really is a twin sister!:tinfoil:

Yeah that iss how I saw it, I was being a bit fatuous with the imaginary/real sister conflation. That being said its a bit strange that ultra-methodical WhiteRose that believes in no accidents would make such an easily seen through excuse. Its hard to know if she had already ordered the apparent DA FBI hit when she was having that conversation.

Its also funny that if it indeed was an unrelated stray bullet that killed Leslie (which led to Dom finally getting on the correct trail F-society/DA investigation) it would mean a literal freak accident* at the other side of the world might ultimately lead to the destruction of WhiteRose's careful, global plan. I think Price spoke about Ferdinand's assassination and "the bullet that put the world at war" as well. I would love to see WhiteRose toppled by a few weird oversights.

*Of course not really a freak accident if you believe Leslie's supernatural spiel about everyone whose ever owned the arcade as coming to an untimely demise. So I guess WhiteRose's "there are no accidents" maxim stands.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
man that was a really great season. how long do I have to wait until the next one?

if you have netflix and it's still up everyone should watch terror in resonance now

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Joanna triggering the CTO to attack her was one of the most intense bits of that finale despite it being fairly telegraphed a mile away if you know her character. Joanna owns

Yeah, the whole time the CTO was telling his really sad story about why he did it, all I could think was "Joanna is going to spit in his face at the end of this" and I was not disappointed.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Max posted:

Yeah, the whole time the CTO was telling his really sad story about why he did it, all I could think was "Joanna is going to spit in his face at the end of this" and I was not disappointed.

that was hard to watch, dude was drunk as gently caress. I thought he straight up killed her

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 27, 2016

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if mr robot doesn't have an incredibly nihlistic ending like terror in resonance I'm going to be really disappointed

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The ending will be that Elliot brings down ECorp and ushers in a new era of freedom, but the entire show has been a simulation, and it cuts back to the beginning of the show and someone shoots him in the head, having determined that he's the one person that could change the course of capitalism. The end.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

The ending will be that Elliot brings down ECorp and ushers in a new era of freedom, but the entire show has been a simulation, and it cuts back to the beginning of the show and someone shoots him in the head, having determined that he's the one person that could change the course of capitalism. The end.

I hope it ends like this, a massive EMP bomb from the dark army. I mean, the dark army is hardcore as gently caress so it could happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV28waq9YbA

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I hope it ends like this, a massive EMP bomb from the dark army. I mean, the dark army is hardcore as gently caress so it could happen

I can't watch that now, but I'm going to assume it's

"...welcome to the human race..."

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I can't watch that now, but I'm going to assume it's

"...welcome to the human race..."

nah, it ends with analog clocks

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SmokaDustbowl posted:

nah, it ends with analog clocks

Oh. Do you at least know what I'm referencing?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Snak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUqNCDwQj4

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

no, because I can't remember everything lol

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yep.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

SmokaDustbowl posted:

EMP bombs are typically very small yield, a massive pulse generally requires a nuclear weapon or a non manmade event such as a coronal mass ejection.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

man that was a really great season. how long do I have to wait until the next one?

if you have netflix and it's still up everyone should watch terror in resonance now

god drat anime, weed cat!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

god drat anime, weed cat!

don't tell me you don't want to see that EMP poo poo happen at the end

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I mean that AT&T building is fuckin coming down next season

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

In the first 60 seconds of that, there were maybe 5 frames of actual animation as the couple held hands.

gently caress all anime.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

counterfeitsaint posted:

In the first 60 seconds of that, there were maybe 5 frames of actual animation as the couple held hands.

gently caress all anime.

This is kind of why I stopped watching anime.

I used to love - and tracked down - basically all the high-class feature film length stuff. The classic "good" movies like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Studio Ghibli's stuff and so on.

Ran out of that kind of stuff reaaaaal quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well son, that's because anime is trash. It is an entire medium that evolved into creepy people making creepy shows for supercreeps, because it's the only way their creep cartoons make any money

• Locked thread