Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
"Every frame of this movie looks like someone's last known photo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was able to record tonights airings, and but there was so little fanfare that I only discovered it by accident thanks in part to always trying to keep an eye on Comet.

I'm also sort of shocked that Comet, of all channels, is reairing these. Granted, Comedy Central and others likely don't have the room to put a 2 (or 2.5hr) solid block of programming like reruns of MST3K, but Comet seems like such an odd channel to get it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It's probably similar to why CC first picked up MST3K in the first place: it's a fledgeling outfit and they're just glad it fills a two hour block.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TL posted:

It's probably similar to why CC first picked up MST3K in the first place: it's a fledgeling outfit and they're just glad it fills a two hour block.

In this case, it's a 2.5 hour slot meaning there's almost an hour of commercials!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I honestly thought Comet was some local Portland thing until I actually looked them up while elsewhere in the country. Until now I'd been watching them for Stargate and because their announcer for commercials clearly loves his job and gets great lines. "If you decide to summon a demon from Hell you're going to need to repair that wall, move your bed back inside, and get new running shoes. So maybe it's better not to do it after all."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BooDoug187 posted:

HITLER'S DEATH CAR!

Johnny wonders what it would be like to fly it...
Over Cambodia, maintaining plausible deniability.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I just realised I have no clue how MST shoots. Would that mean Jonah and the bots did like 5 movies, or just one with multiple takes? Do they do the skits with the film they're attached to, or is that a later day?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I believe the traditional approach was to watch the same movie several times, improvising new riffs each time. Then they'd go over it, select and fine-tune the best riffs from each version, and throw them all together into one (or more?) final watch through. I'm not sure how much editing and compositing is done from there. The riffs that make it to air always seem pretty seamless, but it's pretty drat hard to tell with largely-immobile silhouettes. Of course, they also have natural breaks for commercials and sketches, so they're not really locked into shooting it all at once, but Rifftrax and the live shows pretty clearly prove that they can do that if they want to.

wiki posted:

Production of an average episode of MST3K took about five to nine days once the movie was selected and its rights secured.[11][14] The first few days were generally used for watching the film and scripting out the riffs and live action segments. The subsequent days were then generally used to start construction of any props or sets that would be needed for the live action segments while the writers honed the script. A full dress rehearsal would then be held, making sure the segments and props worked and fine tuning the script. The host segments would then be filmed on one day, and the theater segments on the next. A final day was used to review the completed work and correct any major flaws they caught before considering the episode complete.[14] Live scenes used only practical special effects, and there was minimal post-editing once filming was completed.

Those hours Jonah put in were probably all on the same movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fun MST production fact, Mike's original job for Best Brains was to be the guy who wrote down the riffs during screenings.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I honestly thought Comet was some local Portland thing until I actually looked them up while elsewhere in the country. Until now I'd been watching them for Stargate and because their announcer for commercials clearly loves his job and gets great lines. "If you decide to summon a demon from Hell you're going to need to repair that wall, move your bed back inside, and get new running shoes. So maybe it's better not to do it after all."

RetroTV, a similar channel, also plays MST3k on the weekends. I checked their website to see if they lost the rights to CometTV, but no, both stations are playing the show. My Tivo never shows the right episode though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I finished Frank's book today. Was not expecting the abrupt ending. I was hoping for an epilogue of some kind.

I was not aware of the extent of his substance abuse problems. Yowch!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I finished Frank's book today. Was not expecting the abrupt ending. I was hoping for an epilogue of some kind.

I was not aware of the extent of his substance abuse problems. Yowch!

I thought it was odd he didn't conclude with Samson versus the Vampire Women, being the final episode he was involved with (beside Soultaker)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh this is SO much better than Manos last week. Attack of the giant leeches. "This statue is made of pure orihalcum. I found it while in my rocket powered submarine last week." Actual line, not their addition.

Manos was just bleak, sucked all the energy out of the room. A "good" bad movie has an enthusiasm to it that keeps the energy up. Heck, I even enjoyed Gymkata, for a certain value of "enjoyed".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You can tell sometimes when they've edited because of Crow- his mouth will move when he doesn't say anything, or not move when he does, because things were shuffled around in post.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

So I'm visiting Montreal this week and I dropped into a head shop on St. Catherine in the gay village, and what did I see but this amazing art (sorry for the lovely pic -- they didn't allow photos in the store so i had to stealth snap it with my phone). If I could have figured out how to get it home with me (I live in the States) I totally would have bought it. I want this painting SO bad.

But if I can't have it, another MSTie should, so if you're in Montreal, go get this!

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 13, 2016

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Nice! How much did they want for it?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I didn't even ask because I knew there was no way I could get it home.

:sigh:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So I know this isn't a super political thread, but I heard a story yesterday from TV's Frank on his radio show. Frank is super in the bag for Hillary (check his twitter) and I guess had been asked to organize some comedians to do a benefit for her. He did all that was asked, but then when the higher up Hillary people found out they basically kicked him off the bill because he's too inflammatory. And so now all the other comedians dropped out too.

Feelin' bad for Frank. :smith:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Resisting the urge to post about politics in the mst3k thread but I'll just say that Frank is far less "inflammatory" than Lena Dunham, who has campaigned prominently for HRC.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

So I know this isn't a super political thread, but I heard a story yesterday from TV's Frank on his radio show. Frank is super in the bag for Hillary (check his twitter) and I guess had been asked to organize some comedians to do a benefit for her. He did all that was asked, but then when the higher up Hillary people found out they basically kicked him off the bill because he's too inflammatory. And so now all the other comedians dropped out too.

Feelin' bad for Frank. :smith:

Breadallelogram posted:

Resisting the urge to post about politics in the mst3k thread but I'll just say that Frank is far less "inflammatory" than Lena Dunham, who has campaigned prominently for HRC.

Agreed to both, but here, let me help get things back on track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6IrAWaAF9k

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Don't forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrwbTgVuOw

We're on a date. :smug:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

It's really happening, isn't it? :allears:

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
"Lisa Foster? I'd kill Donald Reagan for a chance with Lisa Foster!"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: The VOD of the Reunion Show is up! :siren:

If you backed the kickstarter, they just sent out the reward links.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruceski posted:

Oh this is SO much better than Manos last week. Attack of the giant leeches. "This statue is made of pure orihalcum. I found it while in my rocket powered submarine last week." Actual line, not their addition.

Manos was just bleak, sucked all the energy out of the room. A "good" bad movie has an enthusiasm to it that keeps the energy up. Heck, I even enjoyed Gymkata, for a certain value of "enjoyed".

The Incredible Melting Man was another one of those that just didn't pan out. They need something to work with, you can only kick a truly horrible movie in the junk so many times before you realize it can't feel it.

I don't know why everyone complains about Manos. Future War is the worst one they've done IMO. It made me literally try to eat a pillow. I refuse to watch it to this day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What?!

Future War is loving hilarious, easily in my top 10 MST3ks.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Future War is probably in my top 3. I never really do top lists, but Future War is so great as a riff, it's always one I think of to get people into MST3K.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely in the "worse the movie is, the better the episode" camp. Even something like The Starfighters, a movie where nothing happens because it was made entirely to convince people that the Lockheed Starfighter wasn't a flying death trap, has a certain fascination.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm definitely in the "worse the movie is, the better the episode" camp. Even something like The Starfighters, a movie where nothing happens because it was made entirely to convince people that the Lockheed Starfighter wasn't a flying death trap, has a certain fascination.

I agree. For whatever reason, I really, really like The Starfighters.

Evil Mastermind posted:

:siren: The VOD of the Reunion Show is up! :siren:

If you backed the kickstarter, they just sent out the reward links.

Yay! Thanks for the update. I didn't back the Kickstarter but I did preorder, and I'd been wondering when it would be available. I know what I'm doing with the rest of my evening!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only episode I absolutely refuse to rewatch is Hamlet. I watched it when it first aired and any subsequent attempts have left me cold.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What?!

Future War is loving hilarious, easily in my top 10 MST3ks.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Future War is probably in my top 3. I never really do top lists, but Future War is so great as a riff, it's always one I think of to get people into MST3K.

I don't remember a thing about Future War other than my last thought of warning myself the memory was going to be deleted for a reason.

Seriously I have no idea why that movie made me want to gouge my eyes out but it most certainly did. I mean, I'm quite certain it was funny but the movie itself... yikes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this? posted:

The only episode I absolutely refuse to rewatch is Hamlet. I watched it when it first aired and any subsequent attempts have left me cold.

I see Hamlet as a middle of the road episode that I'm fine with so more than likely my brain is just broken.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know we all ripped on the Game Grumps guys when they performed on the fundraiser live show last year, but I have come around to liking them after watching some of their videos. They're just such jolly, earnest, good-natured idiots that I can't help but like them. They're really charismatic.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

muscles like this? posted:

Monster A-Go-Go is pretty bad too. Some good riffs, but the movie is just so terrible on every level.

Which is weird, because the Creeping Terror is a very similarly inept movie, but one of my favorites. Maybe it was goofy carpet monster vs tall scarred looking guy monster.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Monster A-Go-Go does have the Bill Rebane touch of a scene involving a helicopter in a dreary field with some guy's garbled voice coming through a drive-through intercom. :v:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

Maybe it was goofy carpet monster vs tall scarred looking guy monster.

I think you'll remember that there was no monster in Monster A Go Go.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Monster A-Go-Go is truly the bottom of the bottom of the barrel. Nothing can salvage that turd. Even J&tB can muster nothing funny at the final twist, and can only howl at the movie in depressed outrage. Which, really, is the only appropriate response.

The one I won't rewatch under any circumstances is Kitten With a Whip. Intensely unpleasant little movie, not a funny enough episode to be worth the slog. At least almost everybody died at the end.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Out of curiosity, has anyone received their MST3k Club card in the mail yet?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Speaking of cards, I still have my membership card from the MST3K Fan Club that I got almost 30 years ago.

Held together by lamination, scotch tape, and pure force of will.

Please don't use my member number to track down my real name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well, Beginning of the End was a good palate-cleanser. Good riffs, good interludes, and grasshoppers crawling on postcards. Next up, I Accuse my Parents.