Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Beginner mode gives you a free Grungust, so I picked it for my first runthrough, in case I had someone who needed that.

Turns out I did, because I had nobody to pair Katina with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Senerio posted:

Beginner mode gives you a free Grungust, so I picked it for my first runthrough, in case I had someone who needed that.

Turns out I did, because I had nobody to pair Katina with.
Is that the red Grungust 1?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that the red Grungust 1?

Red Grungust 2. The one from Dark Prison.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Red Type 2, same one from Dark Prison. You get it on all runs after the first no matter the difficulty, but only on your first run on Beginner. Identical to the regular Type 2 except no Nendo field. A nice red robot to give +1 movement and +5% damage to for hanging out with Katina.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have hit the sweet calvina spot, she is currently my Top Ace with 70 more kills than my #2 Ace.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I ended up using standard mode, taking the Touya route to get back into SRW. I haven't played for like a year, and that was on my NG++++ file of J, where pretty much everyone was at 15 bars in everything. Its a much harder game when you can't oneshot mooks in the final battle with Mazinkaiser's weakest weapon.

And it might reflect on how I play, but just after getting the Soulsaber GG Aqua has pulled ahead in the top ace race. I kinda feel bad because the Cerberus is a really cool mech, but... Garmraid. Also prepared to baby Arado to hell and back, since I like the guy, plus secrets.

And uh, roughly when does my namesake mech show up? I would feel bad if I didn't put a lot of love into it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

And uh, roughly when does my namesake mech show up? I would feel bad if I didn't put a lot of love into it.

mission 12

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Ashsaber posted:

I ended up using standard mode, taking the Touya route to get back into SRW. I haven't played for like a year, and that was on my NG++++ file of J, where pretty much everyone was at 15 bars in everything. Its a much harder game when you can't oneshot mooks in the final battle with Mazinkaiser's weakest weapon.

And it might reflect on how I play, but just after getting the Soulsaber GG Aqua has pulled ahead in the top ace race. I kinda feel bad because the Cerberus is a really cool mech, but... Garmraid. Also prepared to baby Arado to hell and back, since I like the guy, plus secrets.

I'm kind of surprised that we didn't end up getting Albero with, I dunno, AI1 as a subpilot so we could field both MX mecha. Alternately one of the unused F/Final pairings.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I felt like going back to the Secret Hangar books again, so here's Excellen Browning.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'm kind of surprised that we didn't end up getting Albero with, I dunno, AI1 as a subpilot so we could field both MX mecha. Alternately one of the unused F/Final pairings.

I still wonder why we got Giado and Garnet instead of a F/Final couple.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

And your namesake is a solid mech, a very good choice for Yon as it plays to her strengths and is just plain better than her default Mech.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Ashsaber was exactly my 22nd mech, barely edging out a deployment slot over the Lazandgrith Raven who got benched. They're about comparable in performance, but the Ashsaber has funnels and there are some things you can't buy with money or upgrade parts.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
And, finally got to the route convergence, and played squad tetris for a good length of time. Kicked Ing out of his mech and stuck Mai in there instead. Bullet and Kusuha took over the other Exbeins after Katina and Russel took their Gungust. Still have to redistribute parts and abilities, but I think I'm doing fine. Probably going to drop Kai and Lat on the bench, along with the PTX and half of Octo Squad, because if I don't I'm seriously considering using the MP hucky and Jet, and that's a low I don't want to hit.

Not sure what to get for pilot skills. So far only the GC twins and Kouta are getting close to being able to purchase stuff, but aside from like break will limit I don't have a good idea of what to give people. Obviously like hit and away for characters like Aqua, but beyond that I dunno.

I do feel sorry for that poor fed pilot with that Hucky last stage, but I wanted that SR. I know I didn't need to MAP him for it, but I had set it up already, and he moved right in front of the Soulsaber.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Everyone wants continuous action. Latooni is gonna get a personal mech soonish and her ace bonus is decent, so I'd tough it out with her for a few more maps.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Senerio posted:

Everyone wants continuous action. Latooni is gonna get a personal mech soonish and her ace bonus is decent, so I'd tough it out with her for a few more maps.

Break morale limit if you have two free slots. Meditate if you have three free slots.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Some discussion of game lore last week got me to check out SeyzerKoze's LP for the first time. On the subject of Ingram Plisken and Kurt Russell:

quote:

It certainly could be, given that in Alpha 3 you have a couple similar characters named Macready (The Thing), and then in 2nd OG there's another one named Barton (Big Trouble in Little China).

:monocle:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ashsaber posted:

And, finally got to the route convergence, and played squad tetris for a good length of time. Kicked Ing out of his mech and stuck Mai in there instead. Bullet and Kusuha took over the other Exbeins after Katina and Russel took their Gungust. Still have to redistribute parts and abilities, but I think I'm doing fine. Probably going to drop Kai and Lat on the bench, along with the PTX and half of Octo Squad, because if I don't I'm seriously considering using the MP hucky and Jet, and that's a low I don't want to hit.

Not sure what to get for pilot skills. So far only the GC twins and Kouta are getting close to being able to purchase stuff, but aside from like break will limit I don't have a good idea of what to give people. Obviously like hit and away for characters like Aqua, but beyond that I dunno.

I do feel sorry for that poor fed pilot with that Hucky last stage, but I wanted that SR. I know I didn't need to MAP him for it, but I had set it up already, and he moved right in front of the Soulsaber.

Continuous Action and Break Will Limit on everyone. After that it's Focused Attack or whatever the one that lowers the damage penalty when attacking someone in the other position for people that are in the back when you do bosses, EN Save/B Save, Meditate, Support Attack.

Continuous Action, Break Will Limit, Meditate and Support Attack work well on everybody. Resolve is another one to kickstart your crews when there isn't much morale to go around and can help with some early SR points, but I'm a slave to it.

You should have plenty of robots around to not need the hucky and the Jet unless you're taking out a lot of the people that have robots only they can use. You'll get a couple of new toys at the end of stage 12 at least that should save you the horror. The Gepensts you have are good too! Forget the old and busted ones of the past, these are the new 8 plasma stake wielding, 2-way rifle holding hotness! Don't blame you for dropping the non-Irm and Ing parts of PTX though. MD gives you way too few deployment slots for the first half. I think some missions where it force deploys Touya and Calvina mean you end up having over 50% undeployed, if it at least let you put people with them like Z3 and 2ndOG does a lot of the time it would help

HitTheTargets posted:

Some discussion of game lore last week got me to check out SeyzerKoze's LP for the first time. On the subject of Ingram Plisken and Kurt Russell:

Kurt Russell is to Balmar as Gekiganger is to Jupiter.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Huckebein Gunners are incredible at wiping twin formations without having to stop to resupply for ammo and I dunno why people would bench them. They're so good that I didn't realize until stage 40 or so that I never gave them equippable parts or upgraded their mobility/armor.

Like if you'd rather sword surf at people that's cool but calling them bad just confuses me.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

GimmickMan posted:

The Huckebein Gunners are incredible at wiping twin formations without having to stop to resupply for ammo and I dunno why people would bench them. They're so good that I didn't realize until stage 40 or so that I never gave them equippable parts or upgraded their mobility/armor.

Like if you'd rather sword surf at people that's cool but calling them bad just confuses me.

I suppose people are still remembering how bad the Gunner was the LAST time it showed up.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Here's another Secret Hangar post: Ricarla Borgnine.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Having last done the first stage that those purple blob ghosts show up in, are they going to be as annoying as they look? 130 Mobility + Double Image on the weakest ones does not fill me with confidence.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just put money into accuracy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Apparently during MD's development, Midorikawa was worried Masaki wasn't going to be in the game so he went to Terada to ask about it. :v:

Masaki was also initially planned to be in the Duraxyll, but they didn't have the time to rework its animations to be heroic so they just bullshitted a reason for Cybuster to be there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

Do you mean the Exbein?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

^^ The Huckebein Exbein Gunners have two ALLs that are ammo based and hit quite hard with very good range. I put Carla in the 2nd one and she was my first aced pilot. They're very good at wiping twins if you pair them together.

Ashsaber posted:

Having last done the first stage that those purple blob ghosts show up in, are they going to be as annoying as they look? 130 Mobility + Double Image on the weakest ones does not fill me with confidence.

5 bars in accuracy is 20k, super cheap and so useful you should give that to all the mechs you plan to use. MD has tons of enemies that aren't just dodgy, but also like to evade during the player phase instead of counterattacking. You can go without upgrading accuracy in other games but in this one it is just going to frustrate you.

e: The hit and dodge rates remind me a lot of A Portable, except in this game you have to get SR points.

e2: poo poo I just got the joke.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 25, 2016

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

^^ The Huckebein Exbein Gunners have two ALLs that are ammo based and hit quite hard with very good range. I put Carla in the 2nd one and she was my first aced pilot. They're very good at wiping twins if you pair them together.

5 bars in accuracy is 20k, super cheap and so useful you should give that to all the mechs you plan to use. MD has tons of enemies that aren't just dodgy, but also like to evade during the player phase instead of counterattacking. You can go without upgrading accuracy in other games but in this one it is just going to frustrate you.

e: The hit and dodge rates remind me a lot of A Portable, except in this game you have to get SR points.

e2: poo poo I just got the joke.

Yeah, the best way to get started with upgrades is 5 bars in accuracy, then 5 bars in mobility or armor, whichever is more relevant for the unit.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

GimmickMan posted:

The Exbein Gunners are SO GOOD and I had the exact same experience. "Oh, I haven't given them any items. Huh." All the ALLs you could ever need in a stage and a really strong boss killiing finisher. The fact they you don't need to be a nendo-user to pilot one means that those poor non-nendo dodgemasters have some really strong options that aren't the Wildraubtier.

Ashsaber posted:

Strike completely counters them. Bring Alfimi to Inspire if your fave dudes don't have strike yet or it's too expensive to use 2-3 times.

Hokuto posted:

Here's another Secret Hangar post: Ricarla Borgnine.

These are hella good, thank you for doing them. Her original name being Lilcarla reminds me that in MD she's Rilkarla and I never understood where the L before the K came from, I guess someone somewhere knew the secret original name?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

These are hella good, thank you for doing them. Her original name being Lilcarla reminds me that in MD she's Rilkarla and I never understood where the L before the K came from, I guess someone somewhere knew the secret original name?

You're welcome! They're fun for me, too.

Her original name is リルカーラ, so Rilkarla is a legit spelling of it. I assume Atlus went with the simpler Ricarla because it's a nice play on her VA, Rica Matsumoto.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

Strike completely counters them. Bring Alfimi to Inspire if your fave dudes don't have strike yet or it's too expensive to use 2-3 times.

Alfimi is pretty great for that. Pair her with Gilliam so you can use Confuse when you don't need Inspire.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alfimi is just an insanely good support unit. Her full upgrade bonus is also ridiculous.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I always paired Alfimi with Mai so I could chain heal the entire map ad infinitum. At least until I inevitably dumbed out and got at least one of them blown up because Mai was always on the front lines, and one of my main killers.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I always try to have Ryusei, Rai, Aya and Mai together to piggyback off those many friendship bonuses. Ryu can dodge pretty much anything short of a boss even in the SRX, plus Aya's got that dirt-cheap Focus.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I've got Mai in the ExExbein backing up Ryu in the SRX. She now has my second highest kill total despite me actively feeding Yon, Arado and Ibis for those secrets. She pretty much just pokes anything Ryu hits with a Photon Rifle and rakes in the profits.

Also someone needs to tell Calvina that the super types are supposed to do more damage with their finishers than she does with her second best attack. Poor Josh, his Riot Breaker did less damage than Calvina did like three stages ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calvina is so angry she doesn't care about your rules, she just cares about blowing the living gently caress out of her enemies.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I think it's not even close even without her ace bonus vs the nerds, she's so good.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Today I bring to you the Secret Hangar entry of Viletta Vadim, ace detective.

edit: and someone scanned the picture that goes with it

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 26, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Rob is the nerdiest of all the techs by far and I'm glad he got to live the dream working for the SRX team.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I can relate with Ryusei's despair in that story.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You can't just go around touching another man's chogokin Robert, you know better than that! I really want Viletta to get a promotion but then get insta-pro/demoted again once everybody gets a weird feeling about calling her Major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hokuto posted:

Today I bring to you the Secret Hangar entry of Viletta Vadim, ace detective.

edit: and someone scanned the picture that goes with it

quote:

Soft heelclicks echoed in the control room as a woman walked in, one with a cunning gaze, chiseled features, and smart contours. It was Viletta Vadim, commander of the SRX team, a drop-dead gorgeous woman gifted with both acuity and allure.

:allears:

• Locked thread