Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PhotoKirk posted:

Right around the 3 minute mark is from Dallas, Texas.

Blyat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Do they not attach wheels in Russia?

You see you capitalist pig, with your moneys, and all your taking from the poors, having all your lug-nuts is a luxury.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That bank shot into the cyclist is pro level wheel loss.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Also I didn't use a torque wrench on my lug nut and this is what happened:
Let's be realistic here.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Took them 3 years to accidentally use the turn signal on a BMW.

NHTSA posted:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?refurl=email&searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=15V110

RECALL Subject : Rear Turn Signals may be Obscured

SUMMARY:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 R nine T motorcycles manufactured November 27, 2013, through January 26, 2015. The design of the rear turn signals may partially obscure the lights from being seen by the driver of a following vehicle. As such, these motorcycles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

H110Hawk posted:

Took them 3 years to accidentally use the turn signal on a BMW.

Or no one considered it suspicious when they couldn't see the signal.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
no one pays attention to bikes on the road anyway, much less turn signals on bikes lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You know, I'd like to actually see someone make a motorbike using Reuleux polygons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoueExyXkWY&t=15s

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Gorilla Salad posted:

You know, I'd like to actually see someone make a motorbike using Reuleux polygons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoueExyXkWY&t=15s

Wouldn't work, as the center wobbles.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The width may be constant, but the center of mass isn't.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Can be done in just 2 dimensions.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
my dreams of an omni-directional wankel engine, crushed :qq:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You can't use Reuleaux polygons as axle-mounted wheels, but you can use them as rollers. Triangular bearings, here we come.

(also a wankel rotor is almost but not quite a true constant-width curve, the arcs are a bit flatter than circular)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Until that actually fails, it's actually kind of awesome to be honest.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Memento posted:

Actually looks like a great job, everything is welded properly and it's just a piece of metal that was already shaped appropriately for the job.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Ok, ok, I think this is the wrong thread, but to be certain I have to ask, what is that weird wrench/mount holding?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

An engine.

One that will never get an oil change. But I'm guessing that's some kind of display, not an engine that actually gets used.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I...... yeah this is the wrong thread. That's insane genius

Memento posted:

I cant really see how it'll fail. All the forces will be going along the metal, it's welded well, it's got a brace....

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I cant really see how it'll fail. All the forces will be going along the metal, it's welded well, it's got a brace....

Yeah totally, it's just this is the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread. If someone made this thing and you had before and after photos when the engine launched itself out of the front of the vehicle then it's the right thread. Just speaking in general.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

One that will never get an oil change. But I'm guessing that's some kind of display, not an engine that actually gets used.
It looks like a stationary engine, probably a generator or pump setup. They normally have an attached hand pump to siphon the oil out when changing it.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 28, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Memento posted:

Yeah totally, it's just this is the Horrible Mechanical Failures thread. If someone made this thing and you had before and after photos when the engine launched itself out of the front of the vehicle then it's the right thread. Just speaking in general.

The Hoonigan Facebookp age just showed the car it's out of, it's a rat rod. The motor is a Cummins Diesel and umm.... yeah, the car atually works and features a whole bunch of unlikely created parts.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I...... yeah this is the wrong thread. That's insane genius

The wrenches are harbor freight

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Hoonigan Facebookp age just showed the car it's out of, it's a rat rod. The motor is a Cummins Diesel and umm.... yeah, the car atually works and features a whole bunch of unlikely created parts.

Then we're really in the wrong thread.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Memento posted:

Then we're really in the wrong thread.

Oh hell yeah, are we ever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My only question is why the hell would you do that instead of using 1/4" plate that costs almost nothing when the result is inferior (bolts riding on rough surfaces = not as effective clamping force to the bushing center sleeve, spindly handles being so narrow instead of a wider cheaper piece of plate, etc) - to me it looks like silly poo poo that belongs on a faux "rat rod" for winning trophies at shows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Look one post up bruh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

My only question is why the hell would you do that instead of using 1/4" plate that costs almost nothing when the result is inferior (bolts riding on rough surfaces = not as effective clamping force to the bushing center sleeve, spindly handles being so narrow instead of a wider cheaper piece of plate, etc) - to me it looks like silly poo poo that belongs on a faux "rat rod" for winning trophies at shows.

What else are you going to do with an adjustable crescent wrench if you don't have any bolts that need rounding-off nearby?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
use it as an adjustable hammer?

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

TotalLossBrain posted:

use it as an adjustable hammer?

Proper tool for that job is the thumb detecting nut fucker.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was fixing my dad's fence and needed to tighten a nut. We both go into the garage. I grab his socket set and a properly sized socket. He grabs the smallest adjustable wrench he owns. Dude, wtf? The proper tool is right there!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Uthor posted:

I was fixing my dad's fence and needed to tighten a nut. We both go into the garage. I grab his socket set and a properly sized socket. He grabs the smallest adjustable wrench he owns. Dude, wtf? The proper tool is right there!

Using a socket set usually requires opening a box of some sort. It's a hassle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crescent wrenches are good and fine and indeed are the correct proper tool for certain jobs. For example, you always tighten brass gas fittings with an adjustable wrench, because (1) you can snug them down onto the nut before every turn, where the bit of extra slop in a regular box wrench is enough to start to round out the soft brass edges and (2) you explicitly must not apply high force or you'll strip the threads.

Obviously if you just flail around and use the wrench backwards (few people seem to know that this is a thing with adjustable wrenches) and don't bother to set the jaws properly before applying force, you'll have a bad time.

Use the tool properly and it'll give you good results.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Obviously if you just flail around and use the wrench backwards (few people seem to know that this is a thing with adjustable wrenches)
:suicide:

Never even occurred to me. Makes perfect sense.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Now I'm worried I'm not using an adjustable wrench properly because they have never worked for me.

e: Nope, I've been using them correctly because I use them the same way I use a regular wrench. Admittedly I probably don't hold the adjustment wheel strongly enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=latrFJ7uFiM

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 28, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stanley locking adjustable wrench!!

Best adjustable wrench ever. It is a disgrace how long I went without owning one of these.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

tater_salad posted:

Best adjustable wrench ever. It is a disgrace how long I went without owning one of these.

Love it! This and my Knipex Pliers-Wrench cover 90% of my wrenching needs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Seriously, I've used it in a pinch in place of line wrenches on brake line flare nuts without a hint of rounding nut-loving.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

tater_salad posted:

I cannot recommend this enough. I have one in every vehicle I own. Perfect gifts, too. Everybody is amazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Love it! This and my Knipex Pliers-Wrench cover 90% of my wrenching needs.

:agreed: :feelsgood: