Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Imo Evie isn't really a high skill ceiling flanker, atleast not compared to getting good at Evie and Andro.

Meanwhile Buck,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

What? I'm brand new and I've seen at LEAST a good five or six different maps at least. Including some very similiarly themed but differently shaped maps.

I enjoy support and frontliner but nobody else in pugs wants to play them. :smith: I had one earlier where I was the support, 3 people locked in damage/flankers, then the last guy hovered over Fernando until the very last second before switching to damage.

We lost really, really loving hard. Turns out when the only presence on the point is a leaping Pip, you don't really take points.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

What? I'm brand new and I've seen at LEAST a good five or six different maps at least. Including some very similiarly themed but differently shaped maps.

I enjoy support and frontliner but nobody else in pugs wants to play them. :smith: I had one earlier where I was the support, 3 people locked in damage/flankers, then the last guy hovered over Fernando until the very last second before switching to damage.

We lost really, really loving hard. Turns out when the only presence on the point is a leaping Pip, you don't really take points.

Yep I laugh when the enemy team doesn't bring a frontliner. They lose, hard, every time.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
My favorites are berik and bomb king.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is a fun game to occasionally hop in on. Especially for the price.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

extra stout insisted that I post in this thread because he was busy doing something important with his pants, so just as a friendly Public Service Reminder, :holymoley:there currently are tons of giveaway/promo codes for this game free to a good home. And, even more importantly, redeeming a code for a skin automatically unlocks the character associated with that skin.

That said, Evie, Buck, Skye, Fernando, Cassie, and Viktor skins are all currently available on various websites, offering a range of flanking and ganking options. The compilation links are all here on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Paladins/comments/53ydmv/skin_codes_compilation_for_922924/

(Sadly, no Groot or Ruckus promos yet; my current hopefuls to give a shot to).

Additionally, it behooves me to mention that *ANY* player can retroactively add a referral player to their account. You should all do this, as it not only gives your referrer free swag, but it also gives YOU free swag as you level. Just go to the social tab in-game, and set up a referral chain with others!

If you want to use me as a referral, I'm HONKADONKEYS in-game. If you don't want to use me as a referral, then friend me in-game anyways, because there's no way to invite people off of your steam friendlist. That said, joining the steamgroup is still a thing that cool people do (steamfriend a group mod and we'll invite you to our secret clubhouse!)

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 24, 2016

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Thanks for the info, dude bro! I'll try them out when I get home from work.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
It's the weekend and that means free to play video game betas with people I can refer to as my friends when I call my grandma again!!

LONGBEARD is online and playing some Paladins tonight if anyone is game send me an add or an in game message.

r00kit Cavalry
Sep 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Tsurupettan posted:

yakman applewhite y u cheat at tribe d00d?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791272

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn69LJ0239E&t=2193s

https://www.playmidair.com/

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL

Sputnik posted:

If you want to use me as a referral, I'm HONKADONKEYS in-game. If you don't want to use me as a referral, then friend me in-game anyways, because there's no way to invite people off of your steam friendlist. That said, joining the steamgroup is still a thing that cool people do (steamfriend a group mod and we'll invite you to our secret clubhouse!)

Added referral. Lets get you some hours for your bonus! IGN: Garbanian

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, I'm downloading this now and am gonna jump in in a bit. It looks like the Steam group is private, so can someone add THE WORST GUY ON THE TEAM to the group, please? Also, do we have any Discord or similar chat thing going? Or does the game support that in any way?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, I'm downloading this now and am gonna jump in in a bit. It looks like the Steam group is private, so can someone add THE WORST GUY ON THE TEAM to the group, please? Also, do we have any Discord or similar chat thing going? Or does the game support that in any way?

Can you link to your steam account? Believe it or not, a few people profess to be The Worst!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sputnik posted:

Can you link to your steam account? Believe it or not, a few people profess to be The Worst!

Truly, I am THE WORST GUY ON THE TEAM.

EDIT: Also, who should I use as my referral?

EDIT2: I'm in as WORSTGUYONTEAM, because 20 characters is not enough.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 26, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Garbanian posted:

Added referral. Lets get you some hours for your bonus! IGN: Garbanian

Accepted friend request!

neogeo0823 posted:

Truly, I am THE WORST GUY ON THE TEAM.

EDIT: Also, who should I use as my referral?

EDIT2: I'm in as WORSTGUYONTEAM, because 20 characters is not enough.

Added you too, I'll be on for a few hours tonight. I would say use someone who plays enough that they'll hit 15 so you get a bigger reward, HerrBatz is a cool goon who is up to 11 or so I think.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
This game is not worth playing until Skye's ult is fixed. It kills any character even they are at full health and has an absurd AOE range.

This can't be intentional.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Technically, I think Fernado can survive it, as you can crank his HP up to 6k and also buy the damage reduction card.

But yeah, it's a nice way to easily farm the double kill achievements while it is so bonkers broken.

edit: Wait, are we getting close to enough regular people for a GOONSTOMP team? :dance:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Bodacious posted:

This game is not worth playing until Skye's ult is fixed. It kills any character even they are at full health and has an absurd AOE range.

This can't be intentional.

It's definitely the best and most broken ulti in the game, your option (your only option) is to dodge out of the way, fly out of the way, etc, and keep walking even once you think you're out of the range. I imagine the range of it will be cut in half if the devs play the game.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

extra stout posted:

Accepted friend request!

Added you too, I'll be on for a few hours tonight. I would say use someone who plays enough that they'll hit 15 so you get a bigger reward, HerrBatz is a cool goon who is up to 11 or so I think.

Cool, I'm adding him now, and I also sent friend requests to everyone who posted their IGN in this thread.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

neogeo0823 posted:

Cool, I'm adding him now, and I also sent friend requests to everyone who posted their IGN in this thread.

:bird: ;)

Guess you are next in the referral-chain then.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

add me as well, Pacra ingame.

I was confused as poo poo as to why, trying to sign up, it said Pacra was already taken, and that my email was already registered :confused:

Then I figured out they also had Tribes:Ascend in their wheelhouse :doh:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Might as well add my name to the referral link chain too:
JazzFlight

I'll go back and try to add the ones posted before.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Pacra posted:

add me as well, Pacra ingame.

JazzFlight posted:

Might as well add my name to the referral link chain too:
JazzFlight

I added the both of you.

Some impressions after playing a few matches:

First, grab all the free giveaways you can. Unlocking a skin unlocks the character. I thumbed through the linked post there and started playing with 8 characters instead of whatever it was going to start me with.

from what I read online, until you're level 5, you only play against bots. So take your time trying out the different characters in Seige training vs. AI opponents. This'l let you try out the different starting characters, earn a few levels, some cards, some coins, and maybe unlock a new character or two to try.

There's barely any jump in this game. By barely, I mean the characters generally jump what feels like half a head high. it's not that much of a problem, per se, but some people are used to having the high ground and being very vertically mobile and this game does not support that unless you're a character that has a jump boost of some type.

Hitboxes are ridiculously generous. But fire spread is pretty wide to compensate. This has advantages and disadvantages, depending on how you like to play.

Communication would vastly improve this game. If it ever got to a point where it could support voice chat, the overall skill level of teams would go up dramatically.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

neogeo0823 posted:

Some impressions after playing a few matches:

There's barely any jump in this game. By barely, I mean the characters generally jump what feels like half a head high. it's not that much of a problem, per se, but some people are used to having the high ground and being very vertically mobile and this game does not support that unless you're a character that has a jump boost of some type.

I agree with all of your post so I'm just replying to this part. I found it interesting for a game that seems to be a bit easier than the games people wish it had more in common with, Evie's left click actually boosts you in the air slightly like a plasma gun (or 5 percent of a rocket jump) in Quake. I doubt it's enough to be used too much mid game, but interesting to see. I hope they do some more of this to really raise the limit on possible 'skill caps' in this game. Pip's left click can damage himself too. Some of the weapons are actually really well done and fun, Drogoz? for example seems like the worst hero in the game, then you realize he's actually incredibly fun once you learn to 'flap' your wings with space bar, get your combo in the right order, spread it out more etc. I still think he suffers the same problem as most DPS: Even if they double the speed his right click travels at (and they need to badly) and reduce the time it takes for his ulti to channel he still just cannot help with objectives too much beyond flying up high and demolishing half the health bars of the enemy team.

I don't feel confident it's even a major problem in the game, it's more of a major problem only if the players do not learn the game. If everyone can learn that the DPS class in this game is for 1-2 people who are very very good at it and no one else, unranked and ranked would change a lot for the better. But I don't know, it seems unlikely they'll 'take away' the funnest simplest classes from new potential customers.

Oh and news from HiRez is that the previously removed hero I believe called Ying will be added in next patch.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Having a blast as Fernando, at least when my team is smart enough to actually get on the point with me.
Name's CorvidaeVN ingame.

Fernando is so good because shield blocks pretty much everything, including Skye's ult. Or at least, I'm pretty sure I've blocked it before.

This is my loadout currently:

Last Stand is REALLY good, getting those heals in while shielding is huge. I don't use the two charge cards much, I'm thinking about what to swap them out with.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 27, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sailor Dave posted:

Having a blast as Fernando, at least when my team is smart enough to actually get on the point with me.
Name's CorvidaeVN ingame.

Fernando is so good because shield blocks pretty much everything, including Skye's ult. Or at least, I'm pretty sure I've blocked it before.

This is my loadout currently:

Last Stand is REALLY good, getting those heals in while shielding is huge. I don't use the two charge cards much, I'm thinking about what to swap them out with.

Fernando owns, looks like he got a minor nerf but then it's more of a change than a nerf, I don't know. Seems like this is more focused on small balances than really loving with anyone. New hero out today/tomorrow? And a well needed Ruckus buff.

http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?13122-Open-Beta-34-Patch-Troublemaker

edit

Most interesting part for me as I like Grover:

Grohk
Healing Totem
Reduced healing per second from 400 to 340.

---

Grover
General
Increased Health from 2750 to 2900.
Reduced the size of Grover by 8%.
Whirlwind
Now plays an associated voice line when activated.
Cards
Verdant Expanse
Fixed an issue where the range increase would not apply to Blossom’s passive healing.

So Grohk gets a nerf, Grover becomes 8 percent harder to hit assuming his hitbox shrunk too, only 150 health buff but still something, and the card to extend his heal range now applies to both his AOE heal and his AOE passive heal. Seems good to me, since he was already good.

Skye's ulti got some kind of nerf where it still does a fuckload of damage but no longer has a DoT. Just gotta react fast, get out of the way, and only supports with no dodge/run/leap off cool down will get owned in one hit.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 28, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Syke isn't really nerfed at all. Properly carded she is a massive damage dealer with stealth and nothing mentions about the huge aoe of her ult. Evie on the other hand can no longer blink during her ice block which is huge.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Ying is insanely strong and the most fun support in the game by a country mile. Only played one Payload map and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Oh my did bomb king get buffed! Explosives in general get more knock back and his ult change is huge. 2sec stun that goes through Shields.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Tried Ying. She feels really powerful in the right hands, sadly those hands do not seem to be mine. She has great passive healing with two illusions healing 400 damage each every second, though it's not so good against burst damage, and positioning is really important if you don't want them to die. Being able to rapidly teleport between your illusions instantly for about 4 seconds or so is really nice. I think I even managed to teleport all the way back to the fight from the spawn after dying that way, though it seems inconsistent.

You can summon illusions (two max) every 5 seconds which is pretty fast, and them being able to be sent out to explode on people for 500 damage each with a huge splash radius could be crazy. Their pathfinding is really simple, though. They don't really chase enemies, they just move to where they were last when you right click and then explode after two seconds or so, which can sometimes be too late if they've moved far enough away before then. I keep forgetting to actually attack people with her main weapon, trying to keep the illusions up in good places is pretty distracting.

She has some really nice cards. like Harmony, which self-heals for up to 40% of damage done from Shatter, the exploding illusion ability. That's 320 healing if you have both out, which isn't too bad as long as you're hanging back, though if you're really hurting for heals it'd probably be better to just keep them up. Spring Bloom is probably a must, which reduces cooldown of the illusion summon by up to 2 seconds if the illusion dies. Combined with Chronos, that could be really good, especially if you're sending them out a lot.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I didn't realize goons were playing this game. I've been enjoying it a fair bit (Bomb King/Ruckus/Grohk are all extremely my poo poo) and would like other people to play it with. I'm TheJumpoff in game if people wanna play. I didn't see anyone mention a discord/mumble server to use though so I'm curious what people use for voice comms?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Anyone know when the discount on steam ends?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Jumpoff posted:

I didn't realize goons were playing this game. I've been enjoying it a fair bit (Bomb King/Ruckus/Grohk are all extremely my poo poo) and would like other people to play it with. I'm TheJumpoff in game if people wanna play. I didn't see anyone mention a discord/mumble server to use though so I'm curious what people use for voice comms?

Invited you to the group, I haven't been on but I'll add you in game in a second, name is LONGBEARD

Tsurupettan posted:

Anyone know when the discount on steam ends?

I nearly called this post lazy until I realized the sale ends in 12 hours, so even if you could have checked Steam I'm glad you asked, if anyone wants every champion current and future, 20? chests to open, a Fernando skin that is one of the only ones that they put real effort into in the game, and a fiery footed horse you should spend the 13 bucks now, I think it'll go to $20 tomorrow once the sale ends.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

extra stout posted:

Invited you to the group, I haven't been on but I'll add you in game in a second, name is LONGBEARD

I nearly called this post lazy until I realized the sale ends in 12 hours, so even if you could have checked Steam I'm glad you asked, if anyone wants every champion current and future, 20? chests to open, a Fernando skin that is one of the only ones that they put real effort into in the game, and a fiery footed horse you should spend the 13 bucks now, I think it'll go to $20 tomorrow once the sale ends.

I couldn't find the sale timer on the steam page. :shobon:

Also I'm Tsurupettan in game and I'll be playing again on and off, trading my time between WoW, Smite, Paladins and Atlas Reactor. :v: Haven't used my referral yet if anyone needs one.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 30, 2016

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I don't know what it is about Steam, but it has an odd and somewhat evil ability to pull money I don't have to spend from me. I went and bought the founders pack because I'd like to try out the other characters I have yet to unlock and actually start building up some cards for them as well.

The Minecraft server I admin just underwent a change of host, which has been sucking up most of my free computer time over the last couple of days. It's finally stabilized, and now we're with a host that's less than half the price of our old one, but more powerful, so that's win/win right there. I might be on tomorrow night, and if not then, then definitely the next day at some point. I'll totally be up for playing with some of you guys and trying out these heroes.

While I'm thinking about it, I really think we need to get some voice communication going. Would a Discord server help bring us together? I have one for my MC server, but no one ever uses the voice channels. I'm almost completely certain no one would mind if people jumped in to play a few rounds of Paladins. Is that something that would interest you guys?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Poverty Watch. I gave this a few rounds, seems a bit clunky but might have potential. It needs major work.

Also, I was pretty turned off by the fact that you seemingly can't earn the crystals through normal play, only with microtransactions. I might be wrong.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Poverty Watch. I gave this a few rounds, seems a bit clunky but might have potential. It needs major work.

Also, I was pretty turned off by the fact that you seemingly can't earn the crystals through normal play, only with microtransactions. I might be wrong.

It's the exact same as smite. You get 50 crystals per week if you log in all 7 days.

Also holy poo poo losing games because your 4 teammates slampick damage/flankers when you're the only support/frontliner is suffering. I'm pretty sure you could win 75% of these matches just by duo queueing and filling in the support/frontliner gaps if they're present.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Crystal earning can be done via login reward (35? for a 7 or 8 day consecutive run) or referral bonus (getting a ton of people to level 15 and/or getting a ton of co-op team hours with referrals).

So yeah, crystals/skins are basically priced into the "get in a rare chest drop or buy them" tier.

edit: Sent a bunch of people invites as HONKADONKEYS. Feel free to friend me up, and be sure to use your referral link on people you co-op with. You CAN refer the same person who refers you, so there is straight-up synergy to be had for refer-chaining your co-op buddies.

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 30, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Put 5 hours into this so far; more fun than I expected. I've been taking a liking to Drogoz (Fire Spit is really good and fun to use) and Buck (my card loadout is almost all lifesteal, I just leap around farting nets and pellets). Same name in-game if anyone ever needs another dude for their group.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also I'l probably be corrected here, but Ruckus feels like the dude douchebags pick when they dont actually want to be a frontline, but want to get all the checkboxes ticked so they cant be blamed.

I've only had 3 games with a Ruckus on my team so far, but each one has had them try to flank the enemy and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Neurolimal posted:

Also I'l probably be corrected here, but Ruckus feels like the dude douchebags pick when they dont actually want to be a frontline, but want to get all the checkboxes ticked so they cant be blamed.

I've only had 3 games with a Ruckus on my team so far, but each one has had them try to flank the enemy and die.

I played Ruckus for a few rounds and sucked really bad the first few.

I found the best way to play Ruckus is just standing in the way and annoying the gently caress out of people. Fire on everyone, switch targets often. Use the shield, have a place to retreat if your health is getting low, use your shield, use your other shield, then your shield, maybe retreat for a second, then use your shield and then your other shield again.

You have a real chance against Flanks, even if you just scare them away or tell your team via bullet-stream that there is a target behind them.

If I didn't try to level 12 chars to 4 right now, I definitely would play him again. Bariks turrets are fun, but get annoying to manage in some games. Fernandos shield is awesome, but it's not 2 shields! Where one heals you and the other one gives everyone around you a shield!