Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kassad posted:

There might also be further restrictions by making it so the ally has to be declared on, not the other way around. To stop us from cheesing it via bribery, you know.

I think you should be able to join in on ANY war in progress without penalty regardless of which side you are on as long as you don't actually start the wars.

You should also be able to capture and hold cities, then during peace talks you can give up a subset of the cities you captured to keep the Cassus Bellie low-zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Powercrazy posted:

You should also be able to capture and hold cities, then during peace talks you can give up a subset of the cities you captured to keep the Cassus Bellie low-zero.

Paradox games are pretty cool, yeah.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks for answering my earlier questions about the Mac port. I guess the only other thing I'm wondering is whether PC and Mac can play together, is that something you can already do in Civ V? I would hate to talk up this game to my Mac friends and then not be able to actually set up a multiplayer game with them

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks for answering my earlier questions about the Mac port. I guess the only other thing I'm wondering is whether PC and Mac can play together, is that something you can already do in Civ V? I would hate to talk up this game to my Mac friends and then not be able to actually set up a multiplayer game with them

You can through GMR, as long as everyone has the same DLC enabled. I play on a Mac against PC folks all the time.

E: GMR is the play by email way to play Civ 5 for those of us who don't have 10 hours in a row to spend on multiplayer strategy games.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gort posted:

Paradox games are pretty cool, yeah.

Certain aspects of them are, yes. And some parts of the cassus belli system are going to be in Civ6, but I'm not sure of the depth yet. I'm just saying for Gilgamesh that would make the most sense, imho.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as a Mac user, this is true for everything in every OSX release post, oh, 10.6 or so.

"Hey Jim, what'd we have deselect bound to?"
"Uhhh, lemme check, esc, been that way since os5"
"Oh that's too easy for dumb users to accidentally deselect things, better make it Cmd+Esc."

"I think Cmd+Esc is too easy to accidentally deselect things, let's make it Cmd+Ctrl+Esc."

"Can you believe it? That old command was too common and people still kept deselecting things, and half our users kept editing the libraries to change it back to Esc! Let's change it to Cmd+Ctrl+Shift+A and foolproof it so it reverts after sixty seconds if anyone ever tries to change it!"

Sensible users have long since abandoned OSX, and this is coming from someone who swore by 10.6.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 26, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cross platform multiplayer shouldn't be any issue in a freaking civ game. Shouldn't. But hopefully it will work. :sigh:

The White Dragon posted:

"Hey Jim, what'd we have deselect bound to?"
"Uhhh, lemme check, esc, been that way since os5"
"Oh that's too easy for dumb users to accidentally deselect things, better make it Cmd+Esc."

"I think Cmd+Esc is too easy to accidentally deselect things, let's make it Cmd+Ctrl+Esc."

"Can you believe it? That old command was too common and people still kept deselecting things, and half our users kept editing the libraries to change it back to Esc! Let's change it to Cmd+Ctrl+Shift+A and foolproof it so it reverts after sixty seconds if anyone ever tries to change it!"

Sensible users have long since abandoned OSX, and this is coming from someone who swore by 10.6.
Not that the alternative is much better. I was at a friend's place recently and we were going to play some games but both computers had windows 10 so naturally we had to spend a few hours trying to get one of them to even boot. Turns out that since one of them hadn't been used in a few months something had expired and rather than boot up and fix it windows refused to boot at all unless you changed the date in the bios. Of course that didn't work properly either so to make a long and frustrating story full of microsoft moronic decisions short: we had to reinstall the whole drat thing. :argh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, the only reason why I'm asking about it is that I know more than a few people who own Macs and also play absolutely no other games except Civ, so they're not going to buy a separate OS for it. I remember mentioning Steam to them way back when and that confused them.

What I'm saying is that Civ is this kind of transcendent thing I guess

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Someone went through and wrote out the city state bonuses that they could see in various livestreams. Geneva is OP as all hell.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Hmm, no Venice on that list.

Maybe that means it'll be a full civ again. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Someone went through and wrote out the city state bonuses that they could see in various livestreams. Geneva is OP as all hell.

La Venta looks hilarious. Gonna scatter giant heads all over the place.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

All of these seem very powerful. Which I like.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

some definitely aren't as great as others tho, preslav is both time bound and depends on specific terrain compared to others that are always useful

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grapplejack posted:

Toronto seems sneaky good if that's a three tile radius increase. That's gigantic.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Davincie posted:

some definitely aren't as great as others tho, preslav is both time bound and depends on specific terrain compared to others that are always useful

Maybe "cavalry units" includes tanks, at least it was mentioned like that when discussing the zone of control mechanics.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rexides posted:

Maybe "cavalry units" includes tanks, at least it was mentioned like that when discussing the zone of control mechanics.

It definitely does. I'm pretty sure tanks and such are classified as cavalry in V.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's still a flat bonus against an exponential scale--that +5 is going to mean a hell of a lot more for horsemen than for tanks.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
It doesn't, actually - combat works on a scale difference rather than a scale ratio. It's been observed that a battle between two units with a CS of 30 vs 20 yields the same result as 60 vs 50 - a difference of 10 between both units. +5 combat strength will mean the same thing early game or late game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's still a flat bonus against an exponential scale--that +5 is going to mean a hell of a lot more for horsemen than for tanks.

Actually, the combat formula is different in VI, and works off of difference of power.

20 vs. 10 is the same power difference as 110 vs. 100, and combat results would be very much the same.

A 30 or more difference in power results in a one-shot attack - unmodified, a Musketman (55 Combat Strength) will utterly wipe out a Warrior (20 Combat Strength).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Huh, I stand corrected then.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Under no circumstances should you let Scythia get that bonus.

I do really like how the city states are made to benefit certain civs more than others, so there's an added layer of "should I get this or work on denying this city state"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's extremely encouraging that Firaxis has moved towards meatier bonuses instead of the tiny incremental stuff.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hope you can build improvements in captured cities while you're still at war.

Yes yes, I'm totally going to return Paris to you, I just need to finish replacing your cultural district and all your Chateaus with giant Olmec heads. :unsmigghh:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Kajeesus posted:

I hope you can build improvements in captured cities while you're still at war.

Yes yes, I'm totally going to return Paris to you, I just need to finish replacing your cultural district and all your Chateaus with giant Olmec heads. :unsmigghh:

Speaking of, do we know what colossal head improvements do yet?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
+2 faith, according to Well of Souls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Davincie posted:

I kind of like that people might end up fighting over city state friendship, good opportunity for creating conflict.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Yeah I like that the city-states have some solid gameplay changing bonuses. In Civ 5 I really couldn't care less about them except for when they presented a ripe target for conquest or I could scam a few units off them. By mid game even that was useless.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Roylicious posted:

Yeah I like that the city-states have some solid gameplay changing bonuses. In Civ 5 I really couldn't care less about them except for when they presented a ripe target for conquest or I could scam a few units off them. By mid game even that was useless.

The Civ 5 bonuses were pretty good, especially the maritime ones (because food is everything) and culture ones (which can easily double your culture if you ally them early)

I am super happy to see unique bonuses for them in Civ 6 though.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I just never felt like I was struggling to get food or culture. Probably helps that I didn't play on harder difficulties I suppose.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Culture is take it or leave it but food is always good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Same is true in real life if you think about it!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That's the thing, Civ V city-states were mostly "win more" buttons as opposed to game-changers. Except possibly commercial states, because +10 happiness could make or break your civ's expansion.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Geneva is OP as all hell.

+15% science in all your cities? I hope that's not as utterly broken as it sounds. :psyduck:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's only during peacetime so hopefully no one ever declares war on you (like Gilgamesh)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This game is going to be unbalanced and weird as gently caress on launch. They're really trying some new things out, which is great, but it's probably going to be a mess on release.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
There will be some no-brainer decisions for sure. With so many moving parts in the game they can't possibly weed out all the exploits before release.

I hope they're more responsive in addressing balance issues than for Civ 5 though - tradition is still brokenly superior desire their nerf.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There will be some no-brainer decisions for sure. With so many moving parts in the game they can't possibly weed out all the exploits before release.

I hope they're more responsive in addressing balance issues than for Civ 5 though - tradition is still brokenly superior desire their nerf.

Yeah it's sort of weird how you have to go to mods if you want fairly minor balance fixes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hindsight is always 20/20 with regards to game balance. Even with excessive player testing you need a full audience who's been playing obsessively to really figure out all the exploits.

Especially in games that run long like Civilization.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember when civ5 first came out and months of subscribing to balance mods, then a month later a patch coming out that did exactly what all the most popular balance mods did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

No one can break a game over their knee like the full-blown autists of the strategy gaming community. I think that's a given.