Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Yikes. If you're going to post that it should be in 3D to keep it relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

Lots of super info

That's fantastic information - thanks for that, I'm going to have a go at a cleanup and reimport in 3D Studio now. I was exporting straight to FBX, so that's likely why it wasn't working for me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
EVE Valkyrie is coming as a $60 "Founder's Pack" to PSVR, what's the verdict on its current state and monetary value from PC VR versions? That pack comes with 2500 gold for xp boosters and stuff which makes it all more sketchy looking.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

EVE Valkyrie is coming as a $60 "Founder's Pack" to PSVR, what's the verdict on its current state and monetary value from PC VR versions? That pack comes with 2500 gold for xp boosters and stuff which makes it all more sketchy looking.

It is every bit as sketchy as it looks. Even after recent improvements it's a $20 game sold for $60 and monetised like a $0 game.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MrLonghair posted:

The verdict is it's not a fun game? War Thunder is much better and it's free. It's already on PS4 so I assume it'll get PSVR support straight away.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

The verdict is it's not a fun game? War Thunder is much better and it's free. It's already on PS4 so I assume it'll get PSVR support straight away.

Have they actually announced that? Existing games need a *lot* of optimisation to run at PSVR framerates. Even if they're already solid 60fps - and it sounds like War Thunder isn't - they need to render roughly 4 times as much stuff in VR.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
My biggest issue with Valkyrie is the crappy interface. It's dark and muddy and has you looking all over to jump in a game. I see what they were trying to do with it, but I much prefer regular menus floating in front of you in 3d space.

The actual gameplay is pretty fun but not 60 dollars fun. I never did completely shake my sim sickness either so I'm mainly playing Dirt these days.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NRVNQSR posted:

Have they actually announced that? Existing games need a *lot* of optimisation to run at PSVR framerates. Even if they're already solid 60fps - and it sounds like War Thunder isn't - they need to render roughly 4 times as much stuff in VR.

Eh, not really. The PSVR uses a single 1920x1080 screen and can upgrade 60fps to 120 through asynchronous timewarp. You're right that solid 60 is harder than usually 60, but it's not a drastic increase in workload if the game is already close.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DrBox posted:

My biggest issue with Valkyrie is the crappy interface. It's dark and muddy and has you looking all over to jump in a game. I see what they were trying to do with it, but I much prefer regular menus floating in front of you in 3d space.

The actual gameplay is pretty fun but not 60 dollars fun. I never did completely shake my sim sickness either so I'm mainly playing Dirt these days.

I think the biggest problem is the flight model isn't that great. You accelerate to max speed really fast and turn on a dime, so you spend most of your time just going in circles and there doesn't feel like much weight or momentum to the fights.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Thank you for the replies, interesting to learn more about Valkyrie, at the very least the demo will be a flashy little something to show off. War Thunder will be my #1 jam if they really do get the mode out.

NRVNQSR posted:

It's been announced, demoed (and looking fine on the 2D output "social screen"), presented on the main WT site. WT PS4 ran at a fine framerate originally then it got gimped down to 30 and terrible input lag from bad coding. With a lo-fi or VR mode cutting unimportant details away it will be more than capable of sticking to 60 at all times. The PC version has a bunch of players on computers from 2005 and on, and the engine did 720p60 on PS3 around four five years ago.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

Eh, not really. The PSVR uses a single 1920x1080 screen and can upgrade 60fps to 120 through asynchronous timewarp. You're right that solid 60 is harder than usually 60, but it's not a drastic increase in workload if the game is already close.

You need to render two eye images instead of one, and those images are typically each 1512x1512 - 4.6M pixels total. 1080p is only 2.1M pixels. Unfortunately the lens distortion means that you can't just render directly to the PSVR screen, you have to render to a larger screen and distort it down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't buy Eve Valkyrie. it looks kind of cool and the gameplay is somewhat decent but it's very shallow. I played a few rounds of it and felt like i had gotten all I could get from it. I'm glad it was one of the free games because I would be mad if I had paid money for it. If there's a demo on PSVR, that should be able to give you the full experience.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NRVNQSR posted:

You need to render two eye images instead of one, and those images are typically each 1512x1512 - 4.6M pixels total. 1080p is only 2.1M pixels. Unfortunately the lens distortion means that you can't just render directly to the PSVR screen, you have to render to a larger screen and distort it down.

Can I ask where you're getting this info? Not a lot is coming up on Google. I'm not sure I buy that it's *that* much more expensive when Driveclub was able to switch from 1080p30 to VR just by disabling weather and making LOD more aggressive. If you're generalizing from the PC headsets, maybe Sony uses a different lens design and distortion shader that makes more efficient use of the framebuffer.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I could see WT working on PSVR since the Flight mode can be tuned to run on pretty much anything and graphics detail doesn't need to be super high in VR to still be good. Tank Mode which isn't VR anyway, would be out of the question since it only just runs on the PS4 at all not in VR.

Though I have been hoping we would get a good Tank VR game one of these drat days. WW2Online or WT (With all the tank interiors modeled) would be friggin epic in VR. Is there any WW2 Tank Sims in VR already that I don't know about?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

Can I ask where you're getting this info? Not a lot is coming up on Google. I'm not sure I buy that it's *that* much more expensive when Driveclub was able to switch from 1080p30 to VR just by disabling weather and making LOD more aggressive. If you're generalizing from the PC headsets, maybe Sony uses a different lens design and distortion shader that makes more efficient use of the framebuffer.

I'm a developer. The exact standard of a 1.4x resolution multiplier admittedly comes from the PC headsets, but public information like this talk and this more recent one (which sadly I think isn't available online) can confirm that PSVR uses similar distortion, so while you'll get some small deviation from that number it's pretty close.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fair enough, thanks for explaining.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

fenrif posted:

Anyone had any experience with their controllers losing tracking?

I just banged mine into my desk and it's got a green light, can open the steam overlay in vr, but refuses to track. The SteamVR control panel says it's on standby but it refuses to wake up. :S
There is a relatively fragile ribbon connector inside which you've probably dislodged. It happened to me after I accidentally stabbed the ceiling.

There are decent picture and video guides for taking it apart and re-attaching the ribbon here. You'll need a T5 Torx screwdriver:
http://imgur.com/a/hKeB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mi3KWG5mic

I found it quite straightforward (although the casing is very tight and takes a ton of careful wiggling to come loose) but it will void your warranty so be warned.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

fenrif posted:

Anyone had any experience with their controllers losing tracking?

I just banged mine into my desk and it's got a green light, can open the steam overlay in vr, but refuses to track. The SteamVR control panel says it's on standby but it refuses to wake up. :S

I have heard there is a cable inside related to tracking that comes undone really easily but is also super trivial to reconnect and fix, if its not tracking at all and it happened after an impact that would be my first guess

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

After much googling and a very unhelpfull conversation with the Vive support people I also found that same video and fixed it myself. Took about 10 minutes.

Yeah it voids the warrenty, but the repair wasn't going to be covered under warrenty anyway, so I figured why not. Also that connection seems way too fragile for what it is.

Thanks for the help anyway. I had planned to sleep on it and play something that didn't require controllers. But Onwards requires controllers... You can see my conundrum.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Latest photogrammetry test. With this test I've successfully worked out many bugs and issues plaguing me. I'm not sure whats going on with the recording of the video though, I looked at it now and its all blurry on the edges, not sure why, it was all fine and normal in the headset. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ksOBzNv_E

-I was unable to build the mesh all at once due to RAM limitations, forcing me to do it in 5 sections which worked out fine.
-To join these sections however, I had to bring each into 3d studio max (the student edition is free which is why I used it), BUT I had to export them in as .OBJ files in Photoscan. If I brought them in as .fbx (the other format destinations can read) the scale would be messed up and they wouldn't be able to be brought back into photoscan for texturing.
-To line them up automatically, I had to import the first one, then use import/merge for each additional segment. After that just attach each and make them one large mesh.

Thanks, It ended up being not too bad, just a lot of trial and error to figure out the right process steps. I can only speak for 3ds max, but basically what I put above about exporting them as .OBJ files, then importing to 3ds max.

-At this point after they were merged and in 3ds max I could make changes, adding shapes. I fixed all the rain gutters, the benches, the roofs, holes in the ground, some posts, art easel, legs to chairs, and some other things here and there. Theres a lot more I could smooth out and fix but, I want to make sure I can go reliably from A>B>C first before investing too much time in fine details (plus I'm really bad at 3d modeling software. I didn't even know how to place a box :v:).
-The most import step of all of the modding the mesh was making sure i never ever ever moved the main mesh, or the whole thing would be useless. I kept a backup saved periodically just in case this happened and i didn't realize it.
-After whatever changes, export it from 3ds max as an .OBJ file again (it and photoscan both asked if I wanted to flip y coordinates or something, but I made sure to deselect anything I thought could move the model.)
-Back in Photoscan I made a duplicate of the chunk to make sure it was lined up and as a backup, then on the new chunk I went to tools > Import > Import mesh, and selected the .OBJ file 3ds max created. Once again making sure not to change any coordinates when it asked.
-Now that it was back in i could flip between the modified one, and the original chunk just to make sure they were dead on still, then just like normal go to create the texture.

This is where I hit another problem, the mesh was far too large for my measly 24gb of RAM to handle making a texture of in one go so I was stumped for a while, but figured out a way around it, thought not as good as if I just had the ram. Thankfully This is far larger than any of the other scenes I wanted to record so I probably will be fine for all the smaller ones. Oh, the whole mesh was about 2.8m triangles.
-To get around it I used the select tool in photoscan to cut out sections of the massive mesh. This worked to my advantage because I could concentrate the areas I wanted the most detail together/separate, and make more textures just for them, and fewer textures for the areas without as much detail.
-Actually separating them in Photoscan though, I had to select the area I wanted, crop the selection, duplicate that chunk, go back to the original chunk where its still highlighted, then undo the crop, delete the section instead, and start over highlighting the next section I wanted. In the end I ended up with 7 separate meshes in 7 chunks.
-Texturing them was straight forward, but for the cabin area I did 6 8k textures, in the farthest area i did 2 8k textures. All together I had 23 8k textures I believe.

I now had to restitch all these models again without resorting to trying to eyeball them in hammer map editor or something which is what I did in my multipart cabin interior tests. It was a little trial and error but I got it all down.
-This time I had to export them from Photoscan as .FBX files, making sure it included the textures.
-Import them again to 3ds max, do the same import/merge process to get them lined up, then save it all as one .FBX file. If I tried exporting them as .OBJ files it screwed up the texture maps royaly so vOv whatever.
-This is specific to destinations, but I had another problem when bring it into that, it listed materials 1-23 for my textures, but named them XXX.1-6 for example for the 6 from the cabin mesh, but would then start over at 1 for each set from the other meshes. I had to go on the right side of this screen where it has destinations, and rename the end manually of them so they flowed xxx.1-23 instead.

-Everything from that point worked just fine.

I'm sure there's a lot of steps that could be simplified for me, other things I'm doing wrong or not understanding, and this might all be a bit long winded and boring, but I figure if theres anyone else wanting to mess around with this stuff, maybe something here will tick a "oh heyyyy thats what I should try doing". I know it was bloody impossible trying to google answers for basically any issue I had right down the line. Theres a bit of information about photogrammetry out there, but less for capturing large spaces and from a clueless newbie perspective.

Thanks, I think I'll make trying to plop it into unity my next goal.

Can you upload an obj somewhere? I'd like to try dropping it into Unreal.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hell, if it's an .obj I'll drop it in Tiltbrush.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

KakerMix posted:

My man!
I adored (I still very much enjoy) Starsiege. Not Tribes, mind, Starsiege, when it was about immortal groups pulling the strings of Humanity to fight the rouge AI Prometheus and his children in H.E.R.C.s and the wicked-rear end human campaign that was nothing but retreat after retreat to a final showdown at the end.
Goddamn Starsiege is fukin' righteous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daCE2PmtCFc

Everyone talks about Shodan as the big-badass enemy AI but Prometheus was cool as gently caress as well. The way the cybrids spoke is still rad. Also I found this:
http://robbwatson.net/compendium/

:hellyeah:

You are a man with good opinions.

I've actually built and run Starsiege-themed Mafia games - I'll admit that I really fell in love with the whole "Trojans" bit, where the cybrids would literally abduct people, break down their brain, and shove their own robotic brain with the relevant knowledge back into the human's skull, so you never knew if anyone on your team was (or at some point became) a secret cybrid waiting for the ideal moment to betray you (and how that information leads somewhere completely different and more awesome in the end, and you end up dealing with traitors when playing as the robots instead).

I loved that even though the cybrid were terrible machines run by an aggressive AI, but they were actually almost reasonable in many of their actions and they weren't simply obedient servants, and having these factions and small rebellions and power struggles arise among them as victory began to seem inevitable was a great counterpoint to having the Humans coalesce and put aside their factional squabbling as the campaign progressed and they steadily lost the war. And yeah, I loved listening to them talking about seeking//destroying the human//animals.

So yeah, I know it's not going to happen, but I really really wish it would. I would love to get back into that universe in VR.

And it's had the best forum avatars back in the day!

(Wish I still had some of the actual character portraits lying around)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 27, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also you guys know you can get all the Earthsiege/Starsiege/Tribes games free from The makers of Tribes Ascend, Hi-Rez Studios correct?

(You get Starsiege and Tribes in the same .ISO after Earthsiege 2)

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 27, 2016

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
Anyone here developing for Microsoft HoloLens? I've seen some amazing stuff (3d room mapping for export to Unity) and more whimsical (pacman L1) come out of my engineering teams and would love to talk shop.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Nickelsack posted:

I may have already asked this but is the GTX 1080 that much better than the 1070 for VR?
I had a 960 when my Vive first arrived, swapped it for a 1080 for a week when they first came out, then sold it for a 1070. All of the current content ran on the 960 although I was in reprojection like 70% of the time, sometimes things would get a little stuttery. The 1080 worked great, but I was seeing like 50-70% GPU utilization and I started to see the folly of my purchase. Luckily, they were in short supply so I sold it for a pretty good profit even used and got the 1070. Everything I play seems to top out around 70-80% GPU usage now, but most games don't seem to be very complex graphically yet. It is like we're somewhere between 2005 and 2009 in terms of visuals for current content. I feel like the 1070 is perfect for VR now, but the 1080 isn't overkill. Most importantly we still need to see if game developers are going to start taking advantage of current render techniques that can really improve performance and allow them to create richer scenes. If that's the case then the VR performance of the 1070 (and 1080) will increase as these things are leveraged. I can't imagine that any developer would limit their market to perf-targeting to ONLY the 1080 for at least the next 2 years.

Elite Dangerous is one thing that seems to really put a hurting on the 1070 though, it looks like crap (compared to Ultra monitor visuals) and always ends up getting stuck in reprojection in a station. However, the experience even with the reduced visuals is incredible because it is one of the most realistic titles you can play in VR as opposed to all this low poly flat-shaded content.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nickelsack posted:

I may have already asked this but is the GTX 1080 that much better than the 1070 for VR? Or would it be better to go ahead and get the 1070 and hope that SLI comes online in a couple years? Not that SLI has really ever caught on, but if there's an application that seems tailor made for it, VR seems to be it.

A 1070 will give you a fantastic experience given most stuff is targeted at a 970. That said, the more GPU power the better if you want to force super-sampling.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Hey, so Vive owners - if you have ten bucks and want a rail shooter with Ikaruga-style lock on guns that's loving beautiful, get DEXED (http://store.steampowered.com/app/510290/?snr=1_5_9__205). The only complaint I have is that there's only 4 levels and a boss fight, but it's a drat solid game.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the input. I went with a 1080 because, well, why the gently caress not. Probably went overkill on it (MSI Sea Hawk liquid cooled by Corsair) and the RAM (32 GB) but at least I shouldn't have to upgrade for a while.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The more power the better. A 1080 will let you hit higher levels of supersampling too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

CapnBry posted:

Elite Dangerous is one thing that seems to really put a hurting on the 1070 though, it looks like crap (compared to Ultra monitor visuals) and always ends up getting stuck in reprojection in a station. However, the experience even with the reduced visuals is incredible because it is one of the most realistic titles you can play in VR as opposed to all this low poly flat-shaded content.

what's reprojection?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

When the framerate dips under 90fps, in order to keep from making the user vomit the last rendered image is "reprojected" to match the current position and rotation of the headset. It mostly works, but causes judder and other artefacts.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Heran Bago posted:

Can you upload an obj somewhere? I'd like to try dropping it into Unreal.

Yeah, I would be curious to see how that would work. I'd happily upload it somewhere but as it stands I can't figure out how to export it as an OBJ while keeping the texture mapping. I can export as an FBX file, and it all holds together fine, but when I export that with the textures as an OBJ file the textures are basically all shot to poo poo when I try to re-import it.

So far I haven't figured out whats going on, I'm completely without experience at any 3d modeling software of any kind though, and from the little i've looked into it, it maybe seems like it has something to do with multiple UV maps or something because the large file is made of separate pieces textured independently and the OBJ format doesn't work with that? I honestly don't know.

If you have any idea how I can get it to work as an OBJ file I'll gladly upload it, or if you can use an FBX file I can upload that.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

SwissCM posted:

When the framerate dips under 90fps, in order to keep from making the user vomit the last rendered image is "reprojected" to match the current position and rotation of the headset. It mostly works, but causes judder and other artefacts.
To expand on this, when reprojection turns on, the frame rate drops to 45 rendered frames per second, but the rendered area is actually larger than you can see in the headset, then the next frame is actually the first frame except the view position is moved and rotated to match your headset, using up to that extra rendered area from the first frame. If you're moving your head faster than what was pre-rendered then you'll be locked down into whatever the gpu has available. Because things like your game loop and physics are not updated on this second frame, some things can look a little juddery, and because everything isn't re-rendered completely things like dynamic shadows can feel a little weird because you're seeing them from the previous frame's perspective.

Because you're now rendering something like 25% more area to cover this fixup, you tend to stay stuck at 45 FPS until frame times drastically reduce to get you back to 90 FPS WITH the extra rendering. It might be a little less than, but the point is you were having a hard time making 90 FPS so this turned on, now you have to make 90FPS while crunching more numbers.

I might be painting a sort of dim view of it, but it really does work very well. Sure, some things might not look 100% right, but if you turn it off holy smokes things get dizzying fast if you're dropping below 90 FPS on and off.

Nickelsack posted:

Thanks for the input. I went with a 1080 because, well, why the gently caress not. Probably went overkill on it (MSI Sea Hawk liquid cooled by Corsair) and the RAM (32 GB) but at least I shouldn't have to upgrade for a while.
Oh you sweet bastard. I'm a guy who was firmly in the camp of "I can't justify paying more than $250 for a video card" for the past 20 years, but I really want one of those. One day I dream of having an over-the-top watercooled system that somehow pipes the hot air outside so my room isn't always 30C while gaming.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Vox Machina demo does work on CV1, just tried it. Just need to put the Win32 'OVRPlugin.dll' file into Vox Machina\vm_Data\Plugins. Then when you load it up and it just shows a black screen, hit spacebar and it will start!
It's loving awesome, seriously polished for a demo. Can't wait until they bring out the full game.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

CapnBry posted:

I might be painting a sort of dim view of it, but it really does work very well. Sure, some things might not look 100% right, but if you turn it off holy smokes things get dizzying fast if you're dropping below 90 FPS on and off.

I remember back in the good ol' DK2 days when it was standard for everything to turn to poo poo if the framerate dipped, and while not the exact same tech, the night and day difference in the same games once the release runtime with ATW hit.

I don't think anyone could have justified releasing any VR headset (including mobile stuff like gearVR) for consumers without reprojection tech. Its simply too vital.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CapnBry posted:

Oh you sweet bastard. I'm a guy who was firmly in the camp of "I can't justify paying more than $250 for a video card" for the past 20 years, but I really want one of those. One day I dream of having an over-the-top watercooled system that somehow pipes the hot air outside so my room isn't always 30C while gaming.

I was originally 'just' going to get a garden variety 1080. Then I saw the Sea Hawk and was like "what's another hundred bucks?" and bought it. Corsair has historically treated me well, so why not. That's kind of how I ended up with 32 GB of RAM instead of 16; "what's another 80?".

Total build is Corsair 400Q case, Corsair 32GB 3200 RAM, i5-6600K, Asus Z170-A, Corsair H100i CPU cooler, MSI/Corsair GTX 1080 Sea Hawk, Corsair AX760, and a 500 GB Samsung Evo SSD. I like quiet, cool running machines.

I would expect this should be able to run anything I throw at it for a good while.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Did you know that Oculus had an outreach program “for diverse creators to build for VR”? I wonder what the members of that program are thinking now

quote:

Now, four short months later, many of the Launch Pad fellows are reconsidering their involvement with the program after revelations that Luckey donated money to a pro-Trump nonprofit associated with the alt-right, the online political movement of trolls that sees offensive speech as a patriotic duty and views cultural diversity with disdain.
“The mood is surprise, shock, dismay, and disappointment,” one Launch Pad fellow, a California-based producer, told BuzzFeed News. “A number of people are creating documentaries to address social issues, and they are questioning whether Oculus is the right platform.”
oh

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Does that mean less indie shovelware and more AAA games for the Rift? Or are only white people going to be making games for the Rift now? I don't get it. Should we require all employees of a company to fill out a political questionnaire before every headset purchase? If Palmer is actually racist, but his company is doing stuff to better LGBT and diversity representation in gamesVR, should we boycott them anyway?

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 28, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

Does that mean less indie shovelware and more AAA games for the Rift? Or are only white people going to be making games for the Rift now? I don't get it. Should we require all employees of a company to fill out a political questionnaire before every headset purchase? If Palmer is actually racist, but his company is doing stuff to better LGBT and diversity representation in games, should we boycott them anyway?

It's a morality thing, currently there's a push to force publicly-traded companies to disclose any money being sent to political campaigns so investors know their money isn't being contributed to a conniving liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's a morality thing, currently there's a push to force publicly-traded companies to disclose any money being sent to political campaigns so investors know their money isn't being contributed to a conniving liar.

But it wasn't Oculus. It was Palmer's personal money.