Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr Interweb posted:

I dunno what to make of this Mark Cuban guy. I've seen him appear on Real Time a few times over the years and hasn't really said anything objectionable. And of course, he's a surrogate for Hillary. But on the other hand, when he's not in a liberal friendly environment, he comes off as way more right-wing, and initially supported Trump before he realized he was doing badly in the polls. So...
I don't know much about Cuban but I think you kind of have to make a distinction between people who were sort of like "lol, yeah, Donald can run, that's funny" but before it was clear he was actually going to be their drat nominee. By reports, even Trump himself was hoping to make like 15% in a few polls and bow out with his brand boosted.

It's like how it's probably for the best that Trump has gotten the stink of loser on all the semi-competent people who tried to get into the race, with the limited exception of Kasich. Kind of a Hitler/autobahn situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

Those jokes about Steve King being a Klan member keep getting less and less funny and more and more serious.

The highlight:

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/777568225538088960

White supremacist motto, white supremacist buddy, white supremacist! It's like getting three strikes in a row. You know: KKK.

And yet Hillary hangs out with members from Black Lives Matter, and no one bats an eyelash. :colbert:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mr Interweb posted:

And yet Hillary hangs out with members from Black Lives Matter, and no one bats an eyelash. :colbert:

We Must Secure the Existence of our People and a Future for ALL Children.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
God what is it with neo-fascists and having really loving stupid hair and faces?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Goatman Sacks posted:

God what is it with neo-fascists and having really loving stupid hair and faces?

Trying to recapture the look of those ancient roman statues they fap to while pseudo-intellectually crying about the decline of western civilization

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Crowsbeak posted:

Frankly the idea of voter fatigue is bullshit. The dems actually would have won in 2000 if Gore wasn't a bad candidate. George Herbert Walker was dealing with Perot siphoning off voters. 68 was lost because of Nam, also 60 was during a recession and even then Nixon almost came out on top despite crappy campaigning.

Honest question, what made Gore a bad candidate and who should the Dems have put up? I feel like he ran a bad campaign but I'm really sympathetic to Gore the candidate and I think he could have done a really good job as president.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Cuban's a business man who wants to make money and he's really loving good at it. That's about all you really need to know.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Serrath posted:

Honest question, what made Gore a bad candidate and who should the Dems have put up? I feel like he ran a bad campaign but I'm really sympathetic to Gore the candidate and I think he could have done a really good job as president.
The implicit assumption that Democrats automatically lose elections, which is why Mitt Romney is running for re-election.

I believe Gore made a bad error in tacking away from the Clinton legacy even if he had a reason for it. Also, people didn't think George Bush Jr. could be that bad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nessus posted:

The implicit assumption that Democrats automatically lose elections, which is why Mitt Romney is running for re-election.

I believe Gore made a bad error in tacking away from the Clinton legacy even if he had a reason for it. Also, people didn't think George Bush Jr. could be that bad.

Everything seemed to be going okay and a lot of people didn't really think it was a huge deal which one won.

It was.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Serrath posted:

Lack of charisma, seen as boring and not inspirational.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

WampaLord posted:

It wasn't just that. He also made the strategic mistake of thinking Bill would damage his chances of being president. In retrospect we know the GOP were on the losing end of public opinion with that whole thing, but at the time it made sense even though it did end up damaging his campaign.

There was also the widely-repeated lie that Al Gore claimed that he "invented the internet," when he had never said anything even close to that.

It's one of the things that convinced me that the myth of the "liberal media," was complete bullshit.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 28, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WampaLord posted:

He also totally would have done the exact same poo poo as Bush. You know, like pre-planning a massive invasion in Iraq and looking for a reason for it.

Hell, I'd say in the alternate universe where Gore wins, we maybe don't even have 9/11, because Gore - even if he wanted to distance himself from Clinton's image - would have no reason to just start ignoring intel on bin Ladin.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Cuban's a business man who wants to make money and he's really loving good at it. That's about all you really need to know.

He's also a narcissistic moron, but one who does real business. I'm glad he can be pitted against Trump.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Another reason gore lost was because the election was stolen.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Serrath posted:

Gore's big issue was that he was too much of a policy wonk, and that made him unable to compete with Bush. Every time the two candidates compared issues, Bush would speak in sweeping generalities and Gore would speak in specific technicalities. It was sort of like a less surreal and horrible version of last night's debates. Bush talked about his values, Gore talked about his specific policies.

Like, compare their responses in the October 17th debate:

quote:

MEMBER OF AUDIENCE: We spend billions of dollars every year on taxes, or pay billions of dollars in taxes. Would you be open to the idea of a national health care plan for everybody? And if not, why? If so, is this something you would try to implement if you are elected into office and what would you do to implement this plan?

GORE: I think that we should move step-by-step toward universal health coverage, but I am not in favor of government doing it all. We've spent 65 years now on the development of a hybrid system, partly private, partly public, and 85% of our people have health insurance, 15% don't. That adds up to 44 million people. That is a national outrage. We have got to get health coverage for those who do not have it and we've got to improve the quality for those who do with a patient's bill of rights that's real and that works, the Dingle-Norwood bill, and we have got to fill in the gaps in coverage by finally bringing parity for the treatment of mental illness, because that's been left out. We have got to deal with long-term care. Now, here are the steps that I would take, first of all. I will make a commitment to bring health care coverage of high quality that is affordable to every single child in America within four years. And then we'll fill other gaps by covering the parents of those children when the family is poor or up to two and a half times the poverty rate. I want to give a tax credit for the purchase of individual health insurance plans. I want to give small business employers a tax credit, 25%, to encourage the providing of health insurance for the employees in small businesses. I want to give seniors who are, well, the near elderly, I don't like that term because I am just about in that category, but those 55 to 65 ought to be able to buy into Medicare for premiums that are reasonable and fair and significantly below what they have to get now. Now, we have a big difference on this. And you need to know the record here. Under Governor Bush, Texas has sunk to be 50th out of 50 in health care -- in health insurance for their citizens. Last week he said that they were spending 3.7 billion dollars, or 4.7 billion dollars on this.

BUSH: I'm absolutely opposed to a national health care plan. I don't want the federal government making decisions for consumers or for providers. I remember what the administration tried to do in 1993. They tried to have a national health care plan. And fortunately, it failed. I trust people, I don't trust the federal government. It's going to be one of the themes you hear tonight. I don't want the federal government making decisions on behalf of everybody. There is an issue with the uninsured, there sure is. And we have uninsured people in my state. Ours is a big state, a fast-growing state. We share a common border with another nation. But we're providing health care for our people. One thing about insurance, that's a Washington term. The question is, are people getting health care, and we have a strong safety net, and there needs to be a safety net in America. There needs to be more community health clinics where the poor can go get health care. We need a program for the uninsured. They've been talking about it in Washington, D.C. The number of uninsured has now gone up for the past seven years. We need a $2,000 credit, rebate for people, working people that don't have insurance, they can get in the marketplace and start purchasing insurance. We need to have -- allow small businesses to write insurance across jurisdictional lines so small business can afford health care, small restaurants can afford health care. So health care needs to be affordable and available. We have to trust people to make decisions with their lives. In the Medicare reform I talk about it says if you are a senior, you can stay in Medicare if you like it, and that's fine, but we're going to give you other choices to choose if you want to do so, just like they do the federal employees. The people that work in Washington, D.C. for the U.S. Congress or the United States senate. Get a variety of choices to make in their lives. And that's what we ought to do for all people in America.

In terms of better candidates, it's hard to say. Maybe Bill Bradley? He was farther to the left than Gore, and far more charismatic, but he never really picked up too much support.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cuban is on par with Donald Trump as a businessman and he's also kind of a Ayn Rand lunatic.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Night10194 posted:

Everything seemed to be going okay and a lot of people didn't really think it was a huge deal which one won.

It was.

Yeah I remember the feeling was like that episode of Futurama with the two identical canadites who were dull empty suits. Except when Bush won and then things went to poo poo it became an orgy of incompetent corrupt averistic cronyism. Nixon burning down DC in a giant robot was symbolic!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Cuban is on par with Donald Trump as a businessman and he's also kind of a Ayn Rand lunatic.

Hey I remember when he was speaking at a Hillary rally and talked about when he was a teenager and he started selling garbage bags door-to-door. I thought, "poo poo, there are lots of times when I would have bought garbage bags from a door-to-door salesman."

Trump has never run a business that honest or useful. They've all been scams.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stereotype posted:

Another reason gore lost was because the election was stolen.
True, but they were only able to steal it because it was that close, isn't that right? Like if Gore had picked up a couple of other states - enough that he wins even if he lost Florida - they probably wouldn't have bothered with all that Brooks Brothers rioting and so on.

Boy, that was some poo poo, huh?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

He's kind of a shithead but I can respect him at least for being a major sports team owner who is super fanatical about his own team's success. Lots of owners don't give a poo poo about anything other than the money or status.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FIRST TIME posted:

He's kind of a shithead but I can respect him at least for being a major sports team owner who is super fanatical about his own team's success. Lots of owners don't give a poo poo about anything other than the money or status.

Honestly, I know I'm falling for TV bullshit, but I like him on Shark Tank. He's smart, and willing to invest in people who have a good idea or just a good attitude.

He comes across as much more human and relatable than someone like Trump.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cuban is basically the man Trump wishes he was, isn't he?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Cuban is basically the man Trump wishes he was, isn't he?

Well, he's an actual billionaire, so...

(Yes.)

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the debate thread, so we can see which questions are trending for the next debate!

:negative:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

True, but they were only able to steal it because it was that close, isn't that right? Like if Gore had picked up a couple of other states - enough that he wins even if he lost Florida - they probably wouldn't have bothered with all that Brooks Brothers rioting and so on.

Boy, that was some poo poo, huh?

Yeah, Gore got utterly hosed by a blatantly biased court but he should have at least carried his home state which would have put him over the top.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
In regards to the whole Gore/Bush thing, I think something a lot of people need to remember is that 9/11 hadn't happened yet. I don't think anyone really could have predicted how jingoistic and aggressive the Bush administration would get back in 2000.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7anGrhCZok

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

computer parts posted:

Uh no, since Trump had to hire the guy behind Breitbart or else the RNC would've kicked him to the curb.

The RNC are chickenshit and will always bend the knee.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

Cross-posting from the debate thread, so we can see which questions are trending for the next debate!

:negative:

what does "Praise K" stand for

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

In regards to the whole Gore/Bush thing, I think something a lot of people need to remember is that 9/11 hadn't happened yet. I don't think anyone really could have predicted how jingoistic and aggressive the Bush administration would get back in 2000.

I guess you couldn't have if you don't know much about Republicans, or the Bushes, or Dick Cheney, or anything really. Bush won because American voters are dumb as hell. I like to think we're less dumb now but we'll see in November.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 28, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Augus posted:

what does "Praise K" stand for

Probably Kek, the ancient Egyptian frog god they have decided is the patron deity of meme magic.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Probably Kek, the ancient Egyptian frog god they have decided is the patron deity of meme magic.

These people are old enough to vote?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Sensible Thursday posted:

These people are old enough to vote?

By and large, no. And those that are, don't vote.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

have any of the right-wing paranoids realized that both he and evilweasel were members here :tinfoil:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
2000 was so close that literally anything could be the reason that Gore wasn't elected.

Gore distanced himself from Bill Clinton on the campaign trail too much? Sure.
Congressman Tom Downey, who had been Gore's mock Bush for debate prep getting mailed a bunch of stuff about Bush's debate prep and having to Recuse himself at the last minute, at a time when Al Gore was deep in debate prep? Absolutely.
Al Gore said "lockbox" too many times in the first debate? Let's go with it.
Fox News jumped the gun on calling Florida for Bush on election night, setting the narrative that Bush won and Gore was a sore loser? Yep.
The DNC only requesting recounts in Miami-Dade County? Sure.

It wasn't one thing, it was a bunch of little things that added up to Gore barely losing the election.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Grouchio posted:

I suppose it'll be the Democrat Party's job to make sure Mark Cuban...

...Gets a missile crisis. :downsrim:

Mark Cuban's Missile Crisis would be a pretty phenomenal username.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Tobermory posted:

Gore's big issue was that he was too much of a policy wonk, and that made him unable to compete with Bush. Every time the two candidates compared issues, Bush would speak in sweeping generalities and Gore would speak in specific technicalities. It was sort of like a less surreal and horrible version of last night's debates. Bush talked about his values, Gore talked about his specific policies.

Like, compare their responses in the October 17th debate:
I've posted this before, and I think at least one other person did too, but it bears repeating - the NYT's recap of the second Gore-Bush debate opened with a searing condemnation of Gore for being able to name the constituent parts of Yugoslavia and for knowing and correctly pronouncing the names of the country's political leaders. What a loving show off, know-it-all elitist!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Apraxin posted:

I've posted this before, and I think at least one other person did too, but it bears repeating - the NYT's recap of the second Gore-Bush debate opened with a searing condemnation of Gore for being able to name the constituent parts of Yugoslavia and for knowing and correctly pronouncing the names of the country's political leaders. What a loving show off, know-it-all elitist!

Thank Christ that didn't happen this time. That was my greatest fear last night, but that hasn't entered into almost any of the debate narrative.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Endorph posted:

there are millions of people who aren't doing this and who can be convinced by 30 second clipshows

Not that many of them who aren't aware of Trumps ridiculous antics.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
How long until the top question for the debate is just a reference to "Votey McVoteface"?

• Locked thread