Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What's wrong with Podcasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's a janky piece of poo poo that's more interested in having you check out the Podcast Store or whatever.

The RSS grabber will just sometimes not work. The app frequently decides that it's done for right now. It's either super aggressive or super passive about podcast behavior (oh you have 2 unlistened episodes of TAL, I'm gonna do you a solid and stop downloading them for you!). The indexing is super bad. Downloading more than 2 podcasts at one time over wifi? You loving mad man.

The podcast app back in iPhone 3G/4 days wasn't too bad, but it's gotten progressively worse over time. It was fine when it was within iTunes/Music/whatever it used to be, but when it split off as its own individual thing, it was pretty bad v1.0 app. It's gotten better, but it's like saying that this poo poo sandwich isn't that bad because you've added sprouts and dijon mustard to it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Phone posted:

It's a janky piece of poo poo that's more interested in having you check out the Podcast Store or whatever.

The RSS grabber will just sometimes not work. The app frequently decides that it's done for right now. It's either super aggressive or super passive about podcast behavior (oh you have 2 unlistened episodes of TAL, I'm gonna do you a solid and stop downloading them for you!). The indexing is super bad. Downloading more than 2 podcasts at one time over wifi? You loving mad man.

The podcast app back in iPhone 3G/4 days wasn't too bad, but it's gotten progressively worse over time. It was fine when it was within iTunes/Music/whatever it used to be, but when it split off as its own individual thing, it was pretty bad v1.0 app. It's gotten better, but it's like saying that this poo poo sandwich isn't that bad because you've added sprouts and dijon mustard to it.
I don't think it initially even kept your position between restarts. I dropped it for Downcast real quick, after being perfectly fine with the built-into-Music (iPod?) app version.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh yeah, I forgot that Music used to be called iPod on the iPhone.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Phone posted:

It's either super aggressive or super passive about podcast behavior (oh you have 2 unlistened episodes of TAL, I'm gonna do you a solid and stop downloading them for you!).

iTunes is bad in a lot of ways, but unsubscribing your podcasts without asking you is perhaps the most infuriating.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know if pocketcasts is available on iTunes but it's always been rock solid for me.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Vastakaiun posted:

iTunes is bad in a lot of ways, but unsubscribing your podcasts without asking you is perhaps the most infuriating.

Yeah what the gently caress is up with that?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Jippa posted:

Yeah what the gently caress is up with that?

Apple knows better than you I guess

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yessssss RE4 WOFF in the pipeline. I'm going to have to write in for that one (how do you do that again?)

Also I should really go back and finish up Mario Galaxy, I was going for 100% but must've become distracted by something on the way.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
All responses for upcoming episodes go through http://duckfeed.tv/contact

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

where's a list of upcoming episodes for next few months? Interesting that RE4 is coming before RE3.

I'm also all for a continuous well of MDickie games for Abject Suffering. I recommend the remade Big Bumpz and Hard Time because of the ridiculous limb injuries and "stories" involved.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I'm very excited for RE4.. Is it a "break glass in-case of.." game like the others..? I haven't yet listened to Mario Galaxy to determine. I'm installing RE4, though. Last I tried it, it held up well, save maybe for the incredibly low-res textures. I can still feel the anxiety of the chainsaw mans, early on. Righteous.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Murderist posted:

I'm very excited for RE4.. Is it a "break glass in-case of.." game like the others..? I haven't yet listened to Mario Galaxy to determine. I'm installing RE4, though. Last I tried it, it held up well, save maybe for the incredibly low-res textures. I can still feel the anxiety of the chainsaw mans, early on. Righteous.

I absolutely love it. In the top 5 or so games we've done for the show, in a walk.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
We broke the glass without an emergency, but that doesn't mean it's not a top tier game. We'd been sitting on it for a good long while, with all intentions to give it it's complete due.

I forget who remarked on us not covering RE3 before RE4. It's never been our stated goal to cover any given series chronologically. RE3 is really neat and does a lot right, but it doesn't stand out above RE2 (the first RE game we did as the height of PSX survival horror) or the REmake (one of the best reimaginings of all time). RE4 is a logical next step because of its almost total shift toward mechanical mastery.

If we get in our heads to go back to oldstyle tank control RE after this, it will be either RE3 or Code Veronica (both out of necessity). But it will be a good long while, because there are *so many* horror games that we'd like to cover.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Code Veronica would be cool to hear one day because it's easily the RE title (outside of stuff that's like obvious shovelware or too shallow for WOFF) that I could see being the most divisive and your least favorite of the ones you've covered for the show.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

Code Veronica would be cool to hear one day because it's easily the RE title (outside of stuff that's like obvious shovelware or too shallow for WOFF) that I could see being the most divisive and your least favorite of the ones you've covered for the show.

Out of the first 5, it's my least favorite. I like it more than zero though, by a hefty margin.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Vastakaiun posted:

Out of interest did you figure out how to fix this? Half the podcasts I'm subscribed too won't download automatically. The subscribe button on the store page where I have to manually download them has stopped doing any thing?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jippa posted:

Out of interest did you figure out how to fix this? Half the podcasts I'm subscribed too won't download automatically. The subscribe button on the store page where I have to manually download them has stopped doing any thing?

On your My Podcasts page, the tab for each podcast has the tiniest possible exclamation make for the downloads it's stopped. If you click on that it gives you options to restart downloading.

I haven't found a way to stop it doing it again though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

On your My Podcasts page, the tab for each podcast has the tiniest possible exclamation make for the downloads it's stopped. If you click on that it gives you options to restart downloading.

Yeah I have had that before and look out for those exclamation marks. This is some thing different.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Bug Squash posted:

I don't think there is a way to stop it. It's an absolutely baffling design choice, I can't even think of any positives in automatically stopping your podcasts from updating without asking; what am I missing? Surely there has to be SOME reason for this?

iTunes also likes skipping to the next episode randomly every now and then. Haven't figured any logic to this either, it just goes and starts the next one when the previous ep is still playing and nowhere near the end.

For all the praise they get for it, Apple sure seems pretty bad at designing things.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 3, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jippa posted:

Yeah I have had that before and look out for those exclamation marks. This is some thing different.

Sometimes I've had to unsub, delete everything, and resub to even see new episodes in a feed so I would try that as a last resort.

In one odd case I've had duplicate subs for each podcast that were literally the same.

If I listened to podcasts more often than in the car it would be annoying enough to use a paid program to manage this poo poo and not be terrible.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Just switch to something better! They're not exactly expensive.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The new Abject Suffering episode is amazing. Tune in for real-time chat conversations with customer support!

And let me take this opportunity to plug the excellent book on Color Dreams/ Wisdom Tree which explains how a company composed mainly of atheists and agnostics ended up making unlicensed Christian Nintendo games

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I am required by law to plug Megaten Marathon beginning SMT1 because I guested on these episodes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

I am required by law to plug Megaten Marathon beginning SMT1 because I guested on these episodes.

I started SMT4 because of these podcasts. As much as I'm enjoying the game, jesus christ JRPGs like to waste your time. Do the Japanese just not care about what % of a game is just pointless chaff if it bloats that sweet sweet hours/Yen ratio?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
There's been a push towards remedying this in recent years but the genre is weird about that by and large? And it's not like it's just a JRPG thing, pretty much any RPG over 60 hours could probably have been trimmed somewhere.

That said: SMT hit its "gently caress you" peak with SMT if... and nothing has ever been as spiteful since in the series.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

I like Megaten Marathon a lot but kind of wish they had time to goof off more. It can get a little dry when they go on for too long only summarizing game play. But in general it's a great cast that I'm super excited finally reached games I have heard of.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Between the latest (stellar) Nintendo-centric Retronauts episodes and Mario Galaxy WOFF, my Nintendo NX hype is at fever pitch. Also, I never realized I wanted another Punch-Out!! so bad as I do, but welp here we are. I'm glad I'm not the only person that enjoys Super PO the most by a wide margin. Nick and Rick Bruiser are kind of boring end bosses, but outside of that I love pretty much everything about it and it's still fun to time attack different fighters.

Changing subjects, are there are any great bar/arcades to visit in San Fran? Off-topic I know but I only ask here because I know several of you either live in, work in or frequently visit San Francisco. My wife and I are taking a west coast vacation and will be in downtown SF for a couple days next week and I was curious.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Between the latest (stellar) Nintendo-centric Retronauts episodes and Mario Galaxy WOFF, my Nintendo NX hype is at fever pitch. Also, I never realized I wanted another Punch-Out!! so bad as I do, but welp here we are. I'm glad I'm not the only person that enjoys Super PO the most by a wide margin. Nick and Rick Bruiser are kind of boring end bosses, but outside of that I love pretty much everything about it and it's still fun to time attack different fighters.

I really liked the "Super Punch-Out is the PlantinumGames take on the formula" analogy. The original gets all the love, but there's so much more going on in Super. It feels more polished and tighter, and there's still plenty of character there, Nick and Rick excluded. And to be fair, what they lack in wackiness they bring in intimidation, they WILL gently caress you up over any and every mistake. I rank those fights as some of the most intense single player gaming moments I've ever had.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I prefer the simple formula of the nes and Wii versions. The super version didn't seem to have the rhythm of the others, and watching it isn't as fun.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bug Squash posted:

I started SMT4 because of these podcasts. As much as I'm enjoying the game, jesus christ JRPGs like to waste your time. Do the Japanese just not care about what % of a game is just pointless chaff if it bloats that sweet sweet hours/Yen ratio?

Let me tell you about a little studio called Ubisoft

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The best part of that episode, I think, is the recognition that MTPO is defensive while SPO is offensive. Mike Tyson's Punch Out is like playing Dark Souls without a shield. Super Punch Out is like Bloodborne, but the enemies don't have poise.

I greatly prefer the NES/Wii version, and I don't think they're that much simpler or less technical. Getting star punches is really similar to getting counter hits, and there's something very satisfying about not taking a single punch in a match of MTPO.

I think a big part of it, for me, is the sense of kinaesthetics. In Super Punch Out, there isn't a big noise or sense of impact when you get hit (because it's not a big deal when you get it), but I would find myself reacting a half second after getting hit because I didn't realize it was happening. There's no sense of weight to Super Punch Out.

I mean, I like Super Punch Out a lot, and considerably more than the arcade game. The WOFF! on Mike Tyson's Punch Out is coming out soon (Deep Impact/Armageddon) and we talk a lot of sugar about how animation frames are chosen really intentionally in the NES game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Your story about soldiers coming back from Iraq with functional Gamecubes reminded me of the original Gameboy that someone took with them to Operation Desert Storm. Their base came under fire and the Gameboy got badly messed up...but still functions even today. It's on display and running Tetris at the Nintendo Store in NYC, if you ever find yourself there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't think Wii Punchout gets enough recognition for how expertly animated it is. Anyone designing a fast action game should really study it for tips on timing and impact.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Level 5 is a fantastic developer. I'm glad Nintendo uses them for so much work they might as well be second party. I really wonder why Nintendo has never bought even a piece of them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Level 5 is a fantastic developer. I'm glad Nintendo uses them for so much work they might as well be second party. I really wonder why Nintendo has never bought even a piece of them.

Level-5 is probably Japan's biggest independent game developer so Nintendo missed that boat several multi-million selling mixed-media franchises ago.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

greatn posted:

I assume you're still talking about Punch-Out, so you're probably confusing Level-5 with Next Level Games, who developed Wii Punch-Out. Level-5 does Fantasy Life, Ni no Kuni, Professor Layton, Yokai Watch, etc.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

al-azad posted:

I don't think Wii Punchout gets enough recognition for how expertly animated it is. Anyone designing a fast action game should really study it for tips on timing and impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coCsLWqT3v0 Theres a fantastic Extra Creditz Video about all this.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

LionYeti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coCsLWqT3v0 Theres a fantastic Extra Creditz Video about all this.

I was just coming to post that. It's an amazing video, required viewing for anyone who cares about animation in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah meant Next Level