Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Baal posted:

He's competing with a lot of the cast for this. About the only characters who aren't on his level of sucking are like Sakakura, Great Gozu, and Seiko. The only characters worse than him are like Munakata and Ruruka. Everyone else is p much as boring as he is.

Munakata at least got a lot more interesting and sympathetic later on when we found out how much his stupid views were egged on by Despair Yukizome. Even if his whole Raiden shtick is ridiculous and I still can't take him seriously.

lotus circle posted:

Ruruka is a good character if you don't try to defend her actions and accept that she is a huge rear end in a top hat with an inferiority complex, who thinks everyone is out to get her.

Yeah, even though she's awful as a person and I wished there were some more likeable characters around in the future side, her character is well fleshed out and follows a reasonable arc. Izayoi was always just tacked on the side though for seemingly no reason. Hell I can't even remember his name, I only remember it here cause I figured out from context just now who you guys are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bifauxnen posted:

Munakata at least got a lot more interesting and sympathetic later on when we found out how much his stupid views were egged on by Despair Yukizome. Even if his whole Raiden shtick is ridiculous and I still can't take him seriously.

I'm watching episode 10 right now and it feels too little too late on this crap. Like I get what it's trying to do and if it didn't take almost the whole show of him being the worst to get here, I'd maybe be more willing to cut them a break on this but it's two episodes from the end with very little ground of him being a reasonable character to get here.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Baal posted:

I'm watching episode 10 right now and it feels too little too late on this crap. Like I get what it's trying to do and if it didn't take almost the whole show of him being the worst to get here, I'd maybe be more willing to cut them a break on this but it's two episodes from the end with very little ground of him being a reasonable character to get here.
The best way to look at Munakata is not as this super cool hope guy the show keeps trying to push, but as a constant failure who thinks he's the best when he's really the worst. Juzo is a similar case - look at him not as this rear end in a top hat boxing champion, but this rear end in a top hat failure who tried to do everything for his love and hosed it all up for the same reason.

Really Junko got super lucky that she brainwashed the competent one of the 74th class trio.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Baal posted:

I'm watching episode 10 right now and it feels too little too late on this crap.

It is, really. But I'd still rank him light years ahead of Izayoi, who never became any more interesting at the last minute or in hindsight either.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Also Izayoi looks like he thinks he's Vash the Stampede when he is nowhere near that cool so it makes me mad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lotus circle posted:

The best way to look at Munakata is not as this super cool hope guy the show keeps trying to push, but as a constant failure who thinks he's the best when he's really the worst. Juzo is a similar case - look at him not as this rear end in a top hat boxing champion, but this rear end in a top hat failure who tried to do everything for his love and hosed it all up for the same reason.

Really Junko got super lucky that she brainwashed the competent one of the 74th class trio.

I get that, but the difference is is I can resolve Sakakura as this in my head because I see him being a person enough. I see him fail a lot, but it's mostly through his own trappings as a person that I feel are realistic as to what he is. Sakakura being a dude who communicates through hurting others and violence is something that only he knows how to do, he can't speak through words because he doesn't actually know how to communicate with others and due to that he can't properly convey his feelings ever and doesn't know how to connect with others due to that. So he values the two friends he has dearly and in doing so it leads him to commit decisions he otherwise shouldn't, because he has nothing but the utmost faith in them to the point where it actively hurts others. He as a person is toxic, but it's through very understandable situations that lead him to being a more interesting character than pretty much every DR3 character.

Munakata on the other hand is supposed to be king poo poo of the whole show. He's supposed to be a broken man who lost everything and has grown hardened and spiteful of others because of that. The problem is we get dropped into the middle of that character transition and it instead has me breed contempt towards him rather than sympathy because his opposition is a character I have actually witnessed go through poo poo and his pangs of sorrow ring hollow because he refuses to listen. The latter wouldn't even be as much of an issue if so many other characters in this show didn't also refuse to communicate like Seiko and Ruruka or Kizakura with Kyoko or Mitarai and his loving everything. Funny enough the one time two characters do actually communicate, the show decides to mute this out because their communication would just break the entire show's twist I guess and god knows this series feels its strength is its big twists. So the show continues and he starts wantonly killing poo poo and having fights that are clearly supposed to be painting him as this badass and all possibility of this dude being an actual person rings hollow to me because it's so loving ridiculous even for Danganronpa and I'm in the 10th episode and he only listens now that he has no other choice but to do so and it actually was an alright scene but it's just too late. There was a point I could've turned around on this character like I did Sakakura, but it's way too loving late I've already grown nothing but contempt for him. I don't see him as a person, a loser, or anything but wasted potential which is a lot of this show to me at this point.

Bifauxnen posted:

It is, really. But I'd still rank him light years ahead of Izayoi, who never became any more interesting at the last minute or in hindsight either.

I guess that's fair. The fact I can type up as many words as I can about Munakata and the most I can say about Izayoi is "He fuckin sucks and likes Ruruka, I guess." is proof enough he's at least worth talking about.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sakakura looking lovingly at a picture of Munakata is the most I have laughed at this show, oh my god.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baal posted:

Sakakura looking lovingly at a picture of Munakata is the most I have laughed at this show, oh my god.

this one's for you morph

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Munakata's the funniest character in the show, he's pretty much the comic relief.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I just figured Munakata was essentially just a tragic figure in that his talent and environment led to hubris of a catastrophic scale. Having a world-class institution tell you how awesome you are over a period of years is not the best way for someone to develop a good sense of perspective.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Neeksy posted:

I just figured Munakata was essentially just a tragic figure in that his talent and environment led to hubris of a catastrophic scale. Having a world-class institution tell you how awesome you are over a period of years is not the best way for someone to develop a good sense of perspective.

I mean I guess, but it's pretty much stated that the reason he his how he is is because of Chisa manipulating him.

Oh and also lol that his talent is being a student council leader and yet he's just as good at swordfighting as Peko.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Baal posted:

Same but Mondo butter

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

cloofish posted:

I mean I guess, but it's pretty much stated that the reason he his how he is is because of Chisa manipulating him.

Oh and also lol that his talent is being a student council leader and yet he's just as good at swordfighting as Peko.

He assumed his underlings would never lie to him, which was his undoing. They clearly portrayed him having serious doubts when both of them claimed Junko was innocent, only to acquiesce at the last moment. He only realizes that both of them had lied once he discovers Chisa's pictures and thus his "you know what you did" when he stabbed Juzo.

Also yeah the whole "we need to make him a physical threat even though his talent should be scary in a different way" aspect was really dumb. I bet if it was a murder mystery-style game like the previous ones, his talent could have expressed itself more effectively as a manipulating force. Then again, the series has always been a bit too heavy on the "this talent makes them great at fighting somehow!!!" talents, like with Owari's gymnastics basically just making her a Street Fighter character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Neeksy posted:

He assumed his underlings would never lie to him, which was his undoing. They clearly portrayed him having serious doubts when both of them claimed Junko was innocent, only to acquiesce at the last moment. He only realizes that both of them had lied once he discovers Chisa's pictures and thus his "you know what you did" when he stabbed Juzo.

Also yeah the whole "we need to make him a physical threat even though his talent should be scary in a different way" aspect was really dumb. I bet if it was a murder mystery-style game like the previous ones, his talent could have expressed itself more effectively as a manipulating force. Then again, the series has always been a bit too heavy on the "this talent makes them great at fighting somehow!!!" talents, like with Owari's gymnastics basically just making her a Street Fighter character.

Eh, their implementation of talents is either 'this talent makes them super-powerful' (see: Nagito, Junko, etc.) or 'this talent is completely irrelevant' (see: Asahina, Ishimaru, etc.).

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 29, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I dunno if you already posted and discussed this

http://gematsu.com/2016/09/new-danganronpa-v3-japanese-limited-edition-detailed-screenshots

"Original Anime Super Danganronpa 2.5: Nagito Komaeda and the Destroyer of the World (Blu-ray) – Nagito Komaeda, who experienced death in the program. What kind of world did he see? How did he wake up? An original, single episode story that continues from the Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy anime."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Student council presidents need to be good at swordfighting to survive the constant murder games they get put in.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Surely a Student Council president needs to be involved in some sport and some traditional cultural activity, so why not combine both and learn how to fight with a sword. Also he's probably meant to be a bit of a joke about Yu Narukami because there's no way they create a nearly identical character on accident.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Open new tab it if needed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a huge fanservice episode, particularly for DR2. Kirigiri shows up at the very end all fine and dandy. It might be explained why but it's not super clear visually why she's ok but the dialogue explains it, other than a vial of Antagonist or whatever. It was ok overall.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ending is full of fanservice and is actually a nice wrap up surprisingly. Some stuff might not of gotten answered but eh :shobon:

Full Episode Details as I got em (Aka some stuff might be off woops.)

Naegi is off to stop Mitarai and Hajime finds Chisa saying that he found something precious. He opens his eyes and one is brown, other is red.

Togami stays behind to help Aoi with Hagakure and Naegi gets gunned down by a army with no way to get by... until someone kicks a rock, that hits a bigger rock, that hits a bigger stone, then a boulder, and it knocks everyone out. Nagito is here too and boy is he happy to see Naegi (He also has a robot hand)

Cut to the entire class of DR2 alive, Nidai, everyone. They're all fighting loving weirdos that were brainwashed and clearing a path to the tower. Nobody in DR2 is in a coma anymore and they're all using their talents to defeat soldiers. Nidai literally fights a metal gear and imposter even takes on Munakata's look.

Cut to Mitarai wondering what the hell is going wrong when Hajime appears breaking down the door with his goddamn hands. The two of them have a heart to heart that boils down to "I need to save the world, I hosed everything up it's my responsibility. I'm a bad person" then the crew rolls in "Hey we did even worse poo poo and we're all choosing to move on for the future." and Imposter puts his mitarai costume back on. They eventually get through and Imposter and Mitarai hug it out before they decide they'll head back to Jabberwock and live there as outcasts as they know nobody could forgive the awful poo poo they've done.

Naegi thinks about stepping in but decides to leave it at that and let the DR2 cast handle it.

The group and mitarai leave and Hajime thanks Naegi, Nagito then tries to kidnap Naegi as his biggest fan but Nidai drags him away. RIP hopeman.

DR1 cast then get a broadcast and it shows the DR2 crew with red eyes claiming they're going to drown the world in Despair again and taking responsibility for the attack. Hagakure panics but they determine that "if the world found out the FF was a bunch of gently caress ups that would destroy trust so they're sacrificing themselves" and they give their peace about it.

The DR1 survivors wave goodbye to the DR2 cast as they sail off on a boat and Hajime and Chiaki AI (a ghost) have a talk about how this was all thanks to him choosing to go with future. The miracle was inside him all along. Mikan also mentions she found the Cure W and Nagito reveals a antivenom he's had on him "haha well I guess that worked out" cut to Kirigiri heading up behind Naegi back on the shore. Future Foundtain has bright blue skies now and Munakata puts Naegi in charge as he's the worlds hope now, and the infection will spread and heal. He also stole Tengans coat.

Ends on a shot of Naegi and Kirigiri looking out a window in Hopes Peak.

(Typing this up for those that gave up on the series and because I'm trying to learn/have a basic understanding of Japanese. I'm loving awful)

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Bah. I don't hate her character, but I would've rather she stayed dead, her death served a purpose that fit thematically with all the other protagonists.

The episode was exactly as expected, otherwise.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
There's still some loose ends too, namely WHO THE gently caress IS THE 13th BRANCH HEAD? But I'm guessing those might get covered in Killer Killer, who i'm presuming is where all of those loving Metal Gear Solid minibosses were from that showed up in the episode.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's a huge fanservice episode, particularly for DR2. Kirigiri shows up at the very end all fine and dandy. It might be explained why but it's not super clear visually why she's ok but the dialogue explains it, other than a vial of Antagonist or whatever. It was ok overall.

I'm probably wrong but from what I understand Mikan and Nagito mixed Cure W with whatever the hell Nagito had and it created a tonic to heal her. That or Cure W let her hold on long enough or something. I didn't grasp it all.

Doesn't explain how her skin is back to normal or her eye isn't ruptured horribly though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, that was stupid and completely ridiculous.

But Ibuki and Mahiru survived, so I can accept it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dangan Ronpa 3 is about a bunch of friends trying to get a NEET to leave his room

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
As our glorious overlords would say I believe, 竜頭蛇尾.

:japan:

That seriously blew. Kirigiri coming back to life is such an enormous copout. Nearly all the new characters being dead (including real!Chiaki) and all the old ones being fine just makes the whole thing feel like a waste.

Not that I expected anything better.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Okay, I only saw the recaps and part of a live stream of the ending, but despite everything, I believe they actually pulled it off.

Not only does Kyoko live, but everyone from Class 77 woke up. Everyone. I was a bit surprised to see everyone come back, I was just expecting Hajime and the SDR2 survivors. But I suppose it made sense in retrospect, since the Imposter was the one person in the class who had befriended Mitarai and was best suited to talk him down.

They actually achieved a happy ending. I think that's all we can ask for. I can see why they felt this could only work in anime format - if the mastermind was already dead in a game it would be anticlimactic.

I think I see what the purpose of that Danganronpa 2.5 video that will be packaged with V3 is now; it's there to explain what was happening on Jabberwock Island and how the ex-remnants got to the Future Foundation HQ to save the day. They couldn't fit that into the anime, so they made a bonus video to clear up that loose end.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
ugh, the junko AI is going to come up in v3 isn't it. D3 couldn't even tie up both the plot threads that actually mattered.

I felt like Chiaki might have survived somehow to make up for how needlessly drawn out her death was but no, I guess someone just really wanted to animate a teenage girl going through prolonged torture.

Did Izuru even watch the video of Chiaki dying? He wasn't with the rest of the class.

I guess there was never any resolution for Tengan giving Junko a special by to get into hope's peak, either.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 29, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Did Izuru even watch the video of Chiaki dying? He wasn't with the rest of the class.

Why would he need to? He was already on board with following Junko's orders.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Writing an ending that is completely unsatisfying but giving the fans everything they want is really funny and probably Kodaka's way of telling you hes over this poo poo and wants to move on. I cant wait for V3.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

It would be brilliant if it turns out that Mitarai actually broadcast his anime and the last episode was that, it would explain how it makes no sense but ends with the million class murderers getting a happy ending.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

COBRARocky posted:

It would be brilliant if it turns out that Mitarai actually broadcast his anime and the last episode was that, it would explain how it makes no sense but ends with the million class murderers getting a happy ending.

I'm not sure if it's entirely happy for them. They're enemies of the entire world now and forced to live on Jabberwock Island with just them on it for the rest of their lives. Sure they have each other and that's nice and happy but that's about where it ends.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The best part of the ending was Mitarai realizing that anime was a mistake.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

This was so heavily flawed, but I still loved the last 10 minutes or so of wrap up.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm probably wrong but from what I understand Mikan and Nagito mixed Cure W with whatever the hell Nagito had and it created a tonic to heal her. That or Cure W let her hold on long enough or something. I didn't grasp it all.

Nothing as complicated. Mikan explains that she found the vial of medicine Seiko made, that had anyone drank it they wouldn't be killed by the NG poison, and that she has in fact found and revived one such subject when they were at the headquarters. That's of course what she tried to tell Naegi when Nagito moved in for the Megumi Ogata double act.

There's some other stuff the recaps here got wrong or missed, but I'll leave that for the subtitles to clear up.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

how did you get your red title anyway

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Looking back, there's a few good moments but whereas Danganronpa 1 and 2 had things that got me really engaged with what happend, I never felt that gripped. The only investment I had in the show at all was based off of my enjoyment of the prior entries (or at least the two good ones) in the franchise. I kept wanting to play DR1/2 because I wanted to know what happened to the characters, what the mystery was, who'd die next, and so on. In DR3, more than once I thought to myself "I don't care about what happens to these people" and I think that's about as sure a sign that the creator has failed as there is. I mean my opinion's not the gospel but whatever, I'm going to write plenty of words about a children's cartoon anyways.

I think the very premise of both shows was kind of flawed from the start. I get that hyping it as the 'final battle' was supposed to make the villain being unrelated a shocking twist but that doesn't change the fact that Tengan was a terrible villain. I was genuinely worried they'd somehow have had Junko plan it all from beyond the grave but somehow it's even worse. Maybe I didn't read between the lines enough and Tengan was supposed to have been a Remnant of Despair type except for hope, like Nagito, but I don't think I'm willing to give the show that much credit.

The problem with Tengan is that his motivation is completely stupid, and inconsistent. He previously found out that using an ace in the hole to stop 'despair' didn't work when Izuru was turned, but he excepts Mitarai's plan to work because... He's affected by the same lack of pattern recognition that Jin Kirigiri suffered from, I guess? It also leaves questions as to why he apparently kept doing things to benefit Junko. The idea of triggering the entire thing to contrive a scenario where Mitarai will feel forced to use his brainwashing anime to 'save the world' is kind of dumb, but why did he do it after Mitarai showed up to the meeting? Was he just going off the assumption that the ruthless murderer with nothing to lose would never hit such a sweet young man? What about Mitarai being the one closest to the monitor one time? Why did he even have an extra arm band to set up for Mitarai anyways? It's pretty unbelievable even for this setting. :psyduck:

That doesn't go into the issue of how anticlimactic the whole thing is. Mitarai's standing on the edge screaming "IM GONNA DO IT" "no" "well fine I guess" *presses undo everything I just did button*. If it was that easy why did they even need the new world program? (I admit that my interest was basically gone by the latter half of the episode. Maybe they explained it. I don't care).

All that's just focusing on why Tengan's a bad villain. I've mentioned pacing being a problem I had with the series before, and I'm going to mention it again: This is one of the worst paced shows I have ever seen. 90% of it was completely irrelevant. Naegi was dragged everywhere being utterly clueless as to what was going on and achieved literally nothing of importance while Kirigiri solved everything (mostly) offscreen. real!Chiaki made Hinata's motivation way for turning into Izuru a million times more dumb (~wuv~ rather than being a psychotic fanboy with delusions of grandeur) and died in a way that was so over the top it wound back to being borderline funny, but that also only served to make everything a lot less interesting. Oh, the 77th class was brainwashed, nothing was their fault. Guess they're ok then, no need to feel bad for all the people they killed! It's a magical corruption plot so ridiculous it wouldn't be out of place in World of Warcraft. I didn't really like how Mukuro was changed from a possibly good person who was emotionally abused into being Junko's right hand girl into her white bread flunky, but whatever, that's hardly the biggest problem with the show so I guess I'll let it slide.

Speaking of bad World of Warcraft plots, I feel like the second Junko AI being quietly dropped/Monaca having no importance at all was a move that came out of the reception to UDG being mixed. UDG frankly could have been completely non canon and it would have affected literally nothing at all except giving a few more minutes to not develop more relevant plot points.

Man, I hate this show.

COBRARocky posted:

So we're going to get the real final episode on monday? :v:

a cartoon duck posted:

how did you get your red title anyway

He posted in some other dude's Danganronpa LP thread and made one post that if you looked at it sideways could be considered extremely mildly called attention to the fact that "hey this is basically here because of me".

LP is a weird forum.

orenronen posted:

This was so heavily flawed, but I still loved the last 10 minutes or so of wrap up.

Nothing as complicated. Mikan explains that she found the vial of medicine Seiko made, that had anyone drank it they wouldn't be killed by the NG poison, and that she has in fact found and revived one such subject when they were at the headquarters. That's of course what she tried to tell Naegi when Nagito moved in for the Megumi Ogata double act.

There's some other stuff the recaps here got wrong or missed, but I'll leave that for the subtitles to clear up.

It's a completely retarded explanation too because she tried the same thing on Bandai and it didn't work.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 29, 2016

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

It's a completely retarded explanation too because she tried the same thing on Bandai and it didn't work.

Bandai was already dead, or dying. Mikan implies one has to take the medicine before being hit by the poison in order for it to work.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thinking on it now, how the heck did Hajime even know to go to the FF building to stop Mitarai in the first place?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The answer to that and hopefully most of the loose ends will be in that Nagito OVA packed with V3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Speaking of a lack of pattern recognition... :v:

• Locked thread