Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Read a few books and come back to this line of thought my friend.

I know I know, Lawrence is a historical figure who helped foster the rebellion, etc. I just was hoping she'd be a little bit more independent minded story than what they put her as, I liked the angle they hinted in the beginning that she was looking for her family member or something like that, that would've been more interesting angle to see her go on a quest to save that loved one from the ottomans then get caught up in historical events bigger than her own story rather than being simply Lawrence's errand woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Al-Saqr posted:

I know I know, Lawrence is a historical figure who helped foster the rebellion, etc. I just was hoping she'd be a little bit more independent minded story than what they put her as, I liked the angle they hinted in the beginning that she was looking for her family member or something like that, that would've been more interesting angle to see her go on a quest to save that loved one from the ottomans then get caught up in historical events bigger than her own story rather than being simply Lawrence's errand woman.

She might still have those conflicts. they only show like 20 seconds of her in the trailer. I am just waiting to see if the Harlem hellfighters have a campaign mission.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Al-Saqr posted:

I would honestly not think too deep into this as we only got barely a paragraph to describe each chapter of campaign, half of which is still to be revealed to us. I'm pretty sure people looking at the trailers caught Petra in the background of several so no doubt she'll be involved with the people there.

Plus fighting for independence and not wanting to be the next group to be blamed for the wars misfortune by the Ottoman government is pretty much motivation enough.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 28, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I would honestly not think too deep into this as we only got barely a paragraph to describe each chapter of campaign, half of which is still to be revealed to us. I'm pretty sure people looking at the trailers caught Petra in the background of several so no doubt she'll be involved with the people there.

Plus fighting for independence and not wanting to be the next group to be blamed for the wars misfortune by the Ottoman government is pretty much motivation enough.

petra? so there are 5 other campaigns? I mean i assume there is more to the single player then that. but who knows. i want my harlem hellfighter drat it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

petra? so there are 5 other campaigns?

Petra is spotted in the background of the teaser and introduction trailers in several shots.

I meant missions not campaigns.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Petra is spotted in the background of the teaser and introduction trailers in several shots.

I meant missions not campaigns.

that's what i meant missions. petra is the Bedouin?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that's what i meant missions. petra is the Bedouin?

Yep, in the background with all the Bedouin stuff in one of the post annoucement trailers.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I hope the Arab lady is datable and has unlockable revealing outfits if you get her best endings.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I hope the Arab lady is datable and has unlockable revealing outfits if you get her best endings.

:yeah:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Even if she isn't BF1 gonna have more decent waifus than Persona 4.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So cross posting this from the Milhist thread. Why is this relevant you ask? well, remember the tank and landship having several different models for their load outs?

Arquinsiel posted:

This is much delayed due to PC woes and I caution you all now that I'm in no way qualified to talk about this stuff, farming details from all kinds of questionable sources like Wikipedia and wargaming forums as well as various memoirs and unit histories that I've read over the years. If anything is obviously wrong let me know and I'll edit to correct the posts. This is very much "babby's first tank primer" level stuff. Unless noted pictures are yoinked from the internet.

The logical place to start talking about WWII British tank design is obviously the end of WWI. So let's do that and follow on into the interbellum to Dunkirk in the next post, and then on into the war itself in successive posts. I may go on as far as the Challenger II but TBH once the Chieftain is up for discussion my knowledge drops off sharply so this might end at the Comet.

Heavy Mk <whatever>

Mk IV Female, "Baby", Ashford, Kent.

The primary British tanks of WWI were the Heavy Mks I to V, rhomboidal boxes based on the Holt Manufacturing Company's design for a caterpillar tracked tractor. These tractors were in use as prime movers for heavy artillery pieces and handled the terrain well enough to get gears spinning. The Mk I was designed by the team of industrialist William Tritton and Lieutenant Walter Gordon Wilson The differences between the various marks of Heavy are mostly internal shuffling of components or thickening of the armour, with "male" versions having two naval 6-pounder cannon to back up their Hotchkiss machine guns while the "female" versions were armed purely with machine guns. All but one of these guns were mounted in the sponsons, with the single exception being a machinegun mounted in the forward superstructure (irritatingly referred to as "the turret" at the time) on most marks.

Mk V Hermaphrodite, name unknown, Luhansk, Ukraine.

The Mk V tank actually lengthened the body by six feet but this threw off the track width to length ratios and caused problems with turning, leading to an updated version with slightly different hull geometry to reduce ground contact and avoid throwing tracks. This change in shape is subtle, but you can see it by comparing the two pictured. The Mk V was also the version in which the "hermaphrodite" concept arose, whereby a single 6-pounder gun was included in one sponson to ensure that female tanks were not entirely outgunned either by the A7V or captured Mk I and IVs (the Mk II was intended only for training but some made it to combat and got shot to hell leading to rumours about unhardened steel construction, while the Mk III never left Britain). Ergonomics across the series were bad, and as you can see from this picture it wasn't exactly a big tank in any dimension except length, making it very unpleasant for the eight man crews. On the plus side, it did start the tradition of :black101: names for each vehicle.

Mk V Male, "Devil", IWM London. Author's blurry collection. Humans for scale.

Medium Mk A "Whippet"

Tank in Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

In 1917 however the Medium Mk A "Whippet" tank came into service. The work of Tritton alone, the armour was thicker than that of the earlier Heavy marks, and while it only carried four Hotchkiss guns the speed was four times that of the Heavies allowing it to be used to actually exploit breakthroughs made by the infantry and tanks working together. Riding on the success of the Mk I, Tritton proposed a double-engined lighter model tank to fulfil the exploitation role and to do it less expensively than the Heavies. The Whippet was the result of that idea, using a single engine per track to allow for steering via throttle control. In practice it didn't work well and the tank was difficult to accurately steer but the idea was interesting and individual track control was a feature of later tanks. Interestingly, the prototype versions had a rotating turret based on the design used in the Austin Armoured Car, but this was dropped for the production model. Why "Medium Mk A" specifically? More on that later!

Renault FT

Polish Army Museum, Warsaw

Something truly revolutionary happened in France while all this was going on. Renault has been trucking away on a light tank design since mid-1916 and the result was the FT-17. This thing was totally world-beating in 1918 when it hit the battlefield. The most obvious feature was the rotating turret which could mount not only a Hotchkiss machine gun but could instead be configured to take a 37mm gun. While the SA 1918 had a short barrel the HE it could fire made it a valuable support weapon and the speed was almost twice that of the Heavies while having a two man crew that was almost as well protected. Once the dust of the war had settled this tank basically set the bar for performance and pretty much defined the concept of "tank" for the next century (thread favourite Stridsvagn 103 excepted, obviously) but for the purposes of the rest of this post at least it was largely ignored. It's a French tank, but it's relevant because of what comes after this period so I'm including it for completeness.

Medium Tank Mk B

I dunno, some field? It's probably not still there...

So that "Medium Mk A" thing eh? What was all that about? Well when Tritton went off to make the Whippet he left Wilson out of the whole project. Wilson, feeling a bit slighted by this and now a Major decided that he could fix the flaws of the Whippet all by himself and designed the Medium Tank Mk B. The design was visually similar to a small heavy with a larger superstructure, but actually included some revolutionary features such as "a separate engine compartment" and "an exhaust that didn't poison the crew" as well as some nifty but not quite as obviously useful details like sloped armour and a smoke-dispensing system to provide concealment for the vehicle. Apparently "a clever, non-confusing name" was not a design priority, as Wilson intended to name this tank the "Whippet" too. The armour was somewhat lighter than that of the Mk A in places, and armament was an average of four machine guns intended to move between seven ball mounts as needed. An order was put in for 450 units, but this was cancelled after a quarter were made due to objections raised about accessing the engine compartment for repair in-battle. It saw battle in Russia and Ireland. However, this was not the primary reason for the overlooking of the design.

Medium Tank Mark C, Hornet

Some other field?

In a masterstroke of "no, gently caress YOU", Tritton decided to develop his own successor to the Whippet, the "Medium Tank Mark C, Hornet" as soon as he got wind of Wilson's idea. Helped in part by the Mark B prototypes being built in one of the factories owned by Tritton the Mk C was not only better than the Mk B, but also finished before it. Longer for better trench clearance, better armoured, faster, and with five fixed machine guns the main advancements were in crew ergonomics. There were lots of vision slits to look out of and the commander had a special revolving turret on top of the superstructure which included a little map table to aid in navigation. Speaking tubes between crew positions helped communication and the driver even had a mileometer to tell him how far he had driven. A "male" version was planned with a single 6-pounder gun fixed in the forward superstructure, learning absolutely nothing from the French Saint-Chamond and Schneider tanks, but happily this never saw even prototype production. As it was the newest hottest poo poo the Mk C was carefully not sent to Russia or Ireland and thus never saw combat. Apparently nobody ever called it "Hornet" either which is a bit sad because it's a cool name.

Medium Tank Mark D

This might even be a wooden model...
There was also a Medium Mark D, but it seems to be noteworthy only because the name was re-used for a later Vickers designed medium tank and because it was an attempt at making an amphibious tank that failed amusingly, becoming known as "the tank that sank" after a British Pathe film of it being hauled out of the water after a failed test. Yes, you can watch that film. It seems literally nothing about the tank's design was fully nailed down, so it's hard to say much about it other than "it existed".

At this point we can already see British thought splitting into the Infantry Tank and Cruiser Tank roles, with two roughly parallel design lines and some fun slapfighting and shenanigans. Next time we dip into the post-war insanity entrepaneurship of the Vickers company and their failed attempts to sell tanks to the British government!

This game has a great attention for detail.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Even if she isn't BF1 gonna have more decent waifus than Persona 4.

You take that back, scum!

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

doing god's work, old son

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm... excited about a Battlefield single player campaign??

Real good trailer but unfortunately I can't unsee how at the end it shows the Harlem Hellfighter guy ready his gun in the rain but then they're pointing at each other and no rain

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Real good trailer but unfortunately I can't unsee how at the end it shows the Harlem Hellfighter guy ready his gun in the rain but then they're pointing at each other and no rain

..... Levelution?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I kind of wish they'd taken the opportunity to add in some Central Powers missions, since playing as Germany doesn't raise the same issues in WW1 as it does in WW2. Oh well.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I kind of wish they'd taken the opportunity to add in some Central Powers missions, since playing as Germany doesn't raise the same issues in WW1 as it does in WW2. Oh well.
Not to the same degree, but you'd still be fighting for the aggressor in a horrible war. You'd piss off a lot of Europe.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Belgium would be in a uproar!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

sarmhan posted:

Not to the same degree, but you'd still be fighting for the aggressor in a horrible war. You'd piss off a lot of Europe.
I think you'll find that the true aggressors were Serbia and its malevolent patron, Russia. :smug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i read somewhere on neogaf/reddit that there will be a german singleplayer mission. apperently its called storm of steel.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i read somewhere on neogaf/reddit that there will be a german singleplayer mission. apperently its called storm of steel.

Stahlgewittern was written around the same time as All Quiet was. Style-wise they were polar opposites; Stahlgewittern romanticized the war from what I heard. I actually haven't read it because apparently it's very dry and boring comparatively speaking.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Stahlgewittern was written around the same time as All Quiet was. Style-wise they were polar opposites; Stahlgewittern romanticized the war from what I heard. I actually haven't read it because apparently it's very dry and boring comparatively speaking.

It's fairly interesting in that it describes actual events rather than the vague anecdotes that Remarque writes about. And while it is definitely more romanticized, there's quite a few passages that describe truly horrific scenarios. One thing that stuck with me was when a group of soldiers watched a dogfight above, and one of them was mortally wounded when a splinter from a shell ripped through his exposed neck. There's the general feeling throughout the book that death was absolutely EVERYWHERE.

Anyway, just saw this on the Battlefield Facebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzrZQjPDnAU

I assume they'll make one of these for every storyline.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/781478720481681408

So I guess they're going to do a campaign stream on Saturday. I won't be watching because I want to go into the single player blind. Please no spoilerino in the threaderino.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sarmhan posted:

Pretty much everybody was an aggressor in WWI. Germany was no more to blame than Britain, France or Russia.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Austria-Hungary.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Germany did nothing wrong.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Blame the weird shifting gears system of the old cars and Serbia's government turning a blind eye to nationalist extremists working behind the scenes or even late 19th century diplomacy.

Or that butt owner of that cafe that actually had the right amount of change.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or that butt owner of that cafe that actually had the right amount of change.

As much as I love dan carlin that particular tidbit about the assassination of franz ferdinand is unfortunately apocryphal

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Still hilarious though.

"Welp, so much for this assassination attempt. Time to get me a sandwich!"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Still hilarious though.

"Welp, so much for this assassination attempt. Time to get me a sandwich!"

You have to stay cool. If you start panicking and sweating, you'll stand out. Just get a sandwich... walk home like nothing happened..

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty much everybody was an aggressor in WWI. Germany was no more to blame than Britain, France or Russia.

If you want to blame anyone, blame Austria-Hungary.

Everybody was at fault, but germany basically gets the poo poo end of the stick because kaiser cripplearm von tiny dick kept trying to start poo poo for like 20 or so years so Germany could have its "place in the sun", then kept pushing Austria-Hungary to "loving DO IT". then they hosed the poo poo out of Belgium. if any body did really evil poo poo(apart from war in general) it was the ottomans/turks for their little genocide escapes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I blame Bismarck. He set the whole treaty clusterfuck up and then got his dumb rear end fired by Kaiser Billy. World's most gifted political schemer bested by a belligerent gimp with the political savvy of sauerkraut because he had a tantrum at being told "no" by an advisor.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Everybody was at fault, but germany basically gets the poo poo end of the stick because kaiser cripplearm von tiny dick kept trying to start poo poo for like 20 or so years so Germany could have its "place in the sun", then kept pushing Austria-Hungary to "loving DO IT". then they hosed the poo poo out of Belgium. if any body did really evil poo poo(apart from war in general) it was the ottomans/turks for their little genocide escapes.

Nobody had clean hands in that war, each faction was guilty with all sorts of bullshit during or just afterwards.

Also it was sadly going to happen reguardless if some heir to an empire got shot. All kinds of hosed up dilomacy, Imperial and Nationalist rivalry all waiting for that one spark. Before the assassination there was like several other events that could have triggered it. The July Crisis more or less sealed the deal.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

countersniping with the rocket gun is a lot of fun and all, but artillery trucks are where it's at

https://giant.gfycat.com/NeighboringWideeyedGecko.webm

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

So cross posting this from the Milhist thread. Why is this relevant you ask? well, remember the tank and landship having several different models for their load outs?

This game has a great attention for detail.

cool as heck

also i cant wait to play this game more

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm very familiar with the whole Germany-blaming stuff that happens at Versailles, but like SB's Shako said, all the great powers were pulling poo poo like that to secure their hold on colonies, Britain and France just happened to be better at it for a bunch of reasons. The other great powers were pretty much equally belligerent; everybody knew there was going to be a war between the European powers soonTM, the only question when/where it was going to start.

Armenian Genocide was all sorts of hosed up, no complaints there. Then again, so was the poo poo that went down in Belgium, and the continuation of the blockade into 1919. Nobody has clean hands.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nobody had clean hands in that war, each faction was guilty with all sorts of bullshit during or just afterwards.

Also it was sadly going to happen reguardless if some heir to an empire got shot. All kinds of hosed up dilomacy, Imperial and Nationalist rivalry all waiting for that one spark. Before the assassination there was like several other events that could have triggered it. The July Crisis more or less sealed the deal.

PittTheElder posted:

I'm very familiar with the whole Germany-blaming stuff that happens at Versailles, but like SB's Shako said, all the great powers were pulling poo poo like that to secure their hold on colonies, Britain and France just happened to be better at it for a bunch of reasons. The other great powers were pretty much equally belligerent; everybody knew there was going to be a war between the European powers soonTM, the only question when/where it was going to start.

Armenian Genocide was all sorts of hosed up, no complaints there. Then again, so was the poo poo that went down in Belgium, and the continuation of the blockade into 1919. Nobody has clean hands.

oh I agree. I was just saying Germany usually gets the poo poo end of the blame because of those factors. not that they are solely at fault/blame.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
So I guess there is a stream going on, Rush on Sinai right now.

https://www.twitch.tv/xbox

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Nobody has clean hands.

Except for America, the country that won the war.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm glad that the good guys (id est, America) won World War 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

This real chat about the war is the worst part of this thread.