Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Waffleman_ posted:

When was Lemonhope? Because that's the last episode I remember explicitly before I stopped watching, though it might not have been the one that broke my back.

I almost quit dozens of times now. Back's not broken, but 'Something Big' nearly did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Does Adventure Time ever do anything with Finn losing his arm again after Beezy? Because that's when I fell off. It made it feel like the show wasn't committing to its story.

I think the last one I did watch was the one where Finn and Flame Princess talked about their relationship, which was actually pretty good.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

nerdman42 posted:

Does Adventure Time ever do anything with Finn losing his arm again after Beezy? Because that's when I fell off. It made it feel like the show wasn't committing to its story.

I think the last one I did watch was the one where Finn and Flame Princess talked about their relationship, which was actually pretty good.

They alluded to it with The Mountain and did stuff with it with The Comet, so yeah, it's come back a few times.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mighty Magiswords has not gotten any less manic from the preview episode.

Edit: I want to like this show really bad, but the pace is just incoherent.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 29, 2016

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

If you think cheaply made Flash garbage is a new thing in cartoons, you must not have watched many of them in the 2000's.

Cheap garbage has been around since the dawn of animation. But for a brief, beautiful moment it was the exception rather than the rule because AT taught executives that artsy fartsy stuff can be profitable too.

frank.club posted:

TTG is win

TTG itself is fine. I resent what it's success may do to the industry because execs will look at it and just see success that didn't require much money or effort.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Someone wasnt around for Mucha Lucha

Someone who wasn't around for He-Man and The Masters of the Universe.

E: Actually I take that back He Man was awesome. Pretend I said The Snorks or something.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 30, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of like Adventure Time's balls to be bizarre and unentartaining and artsy, but at this point it feels like it can't do anything like that anymore and still be meaningful or surprising.

Like I actually like them going against what's "cool" and turning a death avatar into a baby and stuff like that. But it's like... enough. I'm tired of how they handle drama, of all the depressed characters, and in general how Adventure Time characters talk.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I guess I can kind of get just being sick of it, I just really appreciate how the people making it keep trying their damndest to keep it fresh. It feels like every episode they're trying to show me a different thing that can happen in Ooo, and I like that they experiment even if it doesn't always work. It was never not going to be at least 8 seasons, it just made too much money for CN, and it's still not really like anything else you can watch.

I really liked the episodes many people mentioned not liking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so maybe what do I know.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

misadventurous posted:

I guess I can kind of get just being sick of it, I just really appreciate how the people making it keep trying their damndest to keep it fresh. It feels like every episode they're trying to show me a different thing that can happen in Ooo, and I like that they experiment even if it doesn't always work. It was never not going to be at least 8 seasons, it just made too much money for CN, and it's still not really like anything else you can watch.

I really liked the episodes many people mentioned not liking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so maybe what do I know.

pretty much my view as well

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

readingatwork posted:

TTG itself is fine. I resent what it's success may do to the industry because execs will look at it and just see success that didn't require much money or effort.
You remember Johnny Test and how it was constantly played on Cartoon Network, right? If anything, TTG is an exception among CN's shows. There's a lot more stuff that has effort put into it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

readingatwork posted:

The "current cartoon era" probably ended back when Teen Titans Go made a bajillion dollars on a shoestring budget. Enjoy your cheaply made Flash garbage for the next 3-5 years.

Eh, I thought that back with Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Maybe not a shoestring budget but definition aesthetically Flash.

e: I guess I really hate that show because i don't like rear end in a top hat characters that never seem to learn lessons.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 30, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

You remember Johnny Test and how it was constantly played on Cartoon Network, right? If anything, TTG is an exception among CN's shows. There's a lot more stuff that has effort put into it.

And don't forget Total Drama ________ which has somehow had like a dozen iterations and may still be running today despite being like a shittier Laffalympics.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

raditts posted:

And don't forget Total Drama ________ which has somehow had like a dozen iterations and may still be running today despite being like a shittier Laffalympics.

To be fair, we can blame Canada for that. Toonboom Land will never let that poo poo die.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

In retrospect, my favorite thing about Foster's was seeing my mom descend into hysterics when I explained that the blue blob was named Bloo. And that the basketball friend was named Wilt.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Foster's was one of those shows with a great concept and an amazing pilot movie, but then almost immediately descending into crap once the first season began, due to them making Bloo an insufferable jackass, not to mention like a lot of shows of the period they jammed in too much cynicism into the show, making it an utter misery to watch in most episodes

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Neeksy posted:

To be fair, we can blame Canada for that. Toonboom Land will never let that poo poo die.
Same with Johnny Test. Who knew that you can get quality cartoons by spending a little money and investing in talent?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

drrockso20 posted:

Foster's was one of those shows with a great concept and an amazing pilot movie, but then almost immediately descending into crap once the first season began, due to them making Bloo an insufferable jackass,

That was my biggest gripe about the show. Every time Mac almost lost him I just kept hoping now he'd be able to let him go. I see a lot of codependency in Mac's future.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's almost like there's bad cartoons and good cartoons airing at any given time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's almost like there's bad cartoons and good cartoons airing at any given time.

It's all about the ratio of good versus poo poo. As long as CN remains above contemporary Nickelodeon levels, they'll probably be fine.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Foster's was the first flash animated show that I can remember. And I remember really hating it. The animation, I mean. Though the show wasn't that great either. As mentioned, Bloo was an irredeemable douche.

It was also the show that elevated Grey Delise to VA stardom, and put her in every goddamned cartoon since.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Teen Titans Go is good

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
CN is showing some DC Super Hero Girl show. It's weird.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Foster's was the first flash animated show that I can remember. And I remember really hating it. The animation, I mean. Though the show wasn't that great either. As mentioned, Bloo was an irredeemable douche.

It was also the show that elevated Grey Delise to VA stardom, and put her in every goddamned cartoon since.

Well Grey Delise had already had a few major roles before then(Vicky and Tootie on Fairly Odd Parents, Mandy on Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy), but yeah she did being even more present afterwards

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Well Grey Delise had already had a few major roles before then(Vicky and Tootie on Fairly Odd Parents, Mandy on Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy), but yeah she did being even more present afterwards

I thought Vicky was also done by Tara Strong? But you're right overall.

Just to be clear, she's a fine VA and all, it's just that she's so drat oversaturated in everything.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I assume people in charge of shows think it's easier to grab established talent rather than going searching for someone else. Tara Strong and Delise are kind of established in the industry by this point.

I do admire the Steven Universe crew going the extra mile in finding some incredible unknowns (excluding Estelle and Patti Lupone)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

I assume people in charge of shows think it's easier to grab established talent rather than going searching for someone else. Tara Strong and Delise are kind of established in the industry by this point.

And yet the new PPG didn't even talk to Tara.

Like, the new Blossom and Buttercup are close enough to the old ones that I don't mind it, but it's still a little bit weird hearing New Bubbles.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

And yet the new PPG didn't even talk to Tara.

Like, the new Blossom and Buttercup are close enough to the old ones that I don't mind it, but it's still a little bit weird hearing New Bubbles.

I'll admit I have no problem with them replacing Tara Strong as Bubbles' VA, cause for some reason after the Movie she became unable to do that voice without pitching it so high that it becomes absolutely unbearable to listen to

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, I'd say that for most of Tara's modern roles. God, her Harley Quinn. She was fine as Paz in Peace Walker, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mr Interweb posted:

Grey Delisle did a shitload of stuff before Foster's was ever a thing. She's always been Tara Strong's voice doppelganger and has about an equal body of work.

nerdman42 posted:

I do admire the Steven Universe crew going the extra mile in finding some incredible unknowns (excluding Estelle and Patti Lupone)

Estelle was only really an "unknown" in the context of voice acting.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 2, 2016

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Foster's was one of those shows with a great concept and an amazing pilot movie, but then almost immediately descending into crap once the first season began, due to them making Bloo an insufferable jackass, not to mention like a lot of shows of the period they jammed in too much cynicism into the show, making it an utter misery to watch in most episodes

Foster's had two or three good seasons and the descent began when they made Goofball John McGee and the trip to Europe episodes back to back. Then it was clear that the people making it thought suffering was funny, and made all the other episodes look bad in retrospect. They're really not bad though. They're not like Teen Titans Go, which was funny for a few days and then you wanted them to tell a new joke. Any new joke.

Bottom line, you can't say Foster's sucks and then praise TTG. It's one or the other. It is Cartoon Law.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I will always love Foster's for one scene in one episode that I can't find a clip of but it basically consists of Mac and Bloo doing the classic two kids in a trenchcoat bit trying to bust up a date that Frankie's on and Bloo (as the top half) loses the fake mustache he's wearing, so to recover it he goes "excuse me" in a hilarious voice and bends at a 90 degree angle to stare at his midsection and talk to Mac.

Anyway that's my story, I liked the show a lot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

don Jaime posted:

Bottom line, you can't say Foster's sucks and then praise TTG. It's one or the other. It is Cartoon Law.

They're both good.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

TwoPair posted:

I will always love Foster's for one scene in one episode that I can't find a clip of but it basically consists of Mac and Bloo doing the classic two kids in a trenchcoat bit trying to bust up a date that Frankie's on and Bloo (as the top half) loses the fake mustache he's wearing, so to recover it he goes "excuse me" in a hilarious voice and bends at a 90 degree angle to stare at his midsection and talk to Mac.

Anyway that's my story, I liked the show a lot.

Frankie, My Dear is good TV. Don't let nobody tell you different.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Foster's had a few poo poo episodes, but it was mostly great and probably the best show running during CN's mid-2000s creative nadir.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Mac was really, really uptight for a kid who kept his imaginary friend when almost every other kid moved on and spends his days ina magical house of wonderment. It kind of makes sense if theme of the show was about growing up and leaving childish things behind, except I don't think that's what the writers intended. I can't explain why I feel that, though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

What is it called when in a show, character traits get exaggerated as the show goes on? I swear ive seen a comic with it explained.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hihohe posted:

What is it called when in a show, character traits get exaggerated as the show goes on? I swear ive seen a comic with it explained.

Flanderization,I believe.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

VolticSurge posted:

Flanderization,I believe.

Yeah, I love that term because Ned Flanders is such a bizarre example. Normally the trait is something broad like stupidity or competence in an area, for Flanders it was religiousness.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

mycot posted:

Yeah, I love that term because Ned Flanders is such a bizarre example. Normally the trait is something broad like stupidity or competence in an area, for Flanders it was religiousness.

Blame :tvtropes:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yeah, if you aren't really aware of the evolution of a side character in the Simpsons over the seasons that term basically means nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It happened with almost every character on the show. Also it happened with Mr. Burns first.