Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Duedil for word of month September!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

MF_James posted:

oh fun I get to update iLO on the new servers we just installed, haven't done it before, is it pretty seamless?

http://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2016-4375/

IMHO, new servers should never be put into service without current firmware/oob management updates.

I've been burned so many times because people were lazy and didn't do this when it is the easiest and least impactful change.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Help me feel like less of an imposter!

I started a new job as a systems admin about a month ago. I moved into this after years in the small business msp space.

I need ideas of things to automate/implement/ask for budget for.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

The Fool posted:

I started a new job as a systems admin about a month ago. I moved into this after years in the small business msp space.

Punching bag, crying couch and office puppy.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

What do you feel your new place of business could improve on? What processes are outdated or clunky? Focus on those.

Look for:
- Critical hardware that isnt in warranty but really should be
- Critical systems that arent highly available but really should be
- Systems that have hit EOL (Any Server 2003 lingering? 2008?)
- Regularly deployed software that is manually installed or could be improved
- Things that arent audited but probably should/could be (e.g. AD accounts that havent seen use in 90days+, or account lockout

Is your organization super security sensitive?
- IDS / IPS
- Centralized logging (e.g. splunk)
- Overall security checkup

Other fun things:
- Dashboards
- Check up on your backup / DR strategy haha this is never fun but also super essential
- How's your network security, physically? 802.1x is cool and useful and good
- 2FA is nice; Duo or Yubico or RSA

Really I'm just listing poo poo at this point. Focus on business needs and outdated/bad stuff you guys have. :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

Focus on documentation and ticketing. The rest will fall into place.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Replace all instances of "duedil" with "dildue" until called out on it

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

I ran into the use of @ in email subjects to signify that the entire message is in the subject.
I always just put nt (for no text) as the entirety of the email body when I am doing that.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Who had the best Ignite swag? Going to Educause in Anaheim next month, I'm excited. Never been west of Colorado before, so that should be fun. Looking forward to the opens bars even more than tshirts and squishy balls

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A lot of people tonight seemed to take the free booze as a challenge. I'm not much of a drinker anymore but just cause beer is free doesn't mean you have to drink 12 of them.

edit: to add context I'm at MS Ignite and tonight was the celebration party.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 30, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Argh. There are some changes this year in how the company decides your performance score (specifically they're asking your colleagues to grade you).

My manager already explained to me how everything will work... but now the company is making me watch some slideshow while listening to a recording with an explanation. All of that is slightly annoying, but okay I'll do that.

Except, they sent me the slideshow in an e-mail, which also contains a phone number I need to call to listen to the recording. It's 20 minutes and the low sound quality you can expect from a phone call. Also the number can only handle a limited number of calls at a time, so if a bunch of colleagues want to listen at the same time, you're out of luck. We're in loving 2016. How hard can it be to just put a video with the slideshow and the recording on the intranet?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

mayodreams posted:

IMHO, new servers should never be put into service without current firmware/oob management updates.

I've been burned so many times because people were lazy and didn't do this when it is the easiest and least impactful change.

Well "new" servers is relative, the firmware was the most up-to-date when we installed them, MAYBE a small revision behind. This firmware came out 3 weeks ago,, our servers are a bit older than that.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I like the term "gently caress all y'all I'm going home."

I'm a big fan of sticking a note with "AMFYOYO" to my monitor when I'm on vacation for more than a week. So far, my boss hasn't twigged to the expansion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Argh. There are some changes this year in how the company decides your performance score (specifically they're asking your colleagues to grade you).

My manager already explained to me how everything will work... but now the company is making me watch some slideshow while listening to a recording with an explanation. All of that is slightly annoying, but okay I'll do that.

Except, they sent me the slideshow in an e-mail, which also contains a phone number I need to call to listen to the recording. It's 20 minutes and the low sound quality you can expect from a phone call. Also the number can only handle a limited number of calls at a time, so if a bunch of colleagues want to listen at the same time, you're out of luck. We're in loving 2016. How hard can it be to just put a video with the slideshow and the recording on the intranet?

You're lucky they just didn't give you a literal slide carousel with audio cassette.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Duedil: it's a thing.

http://www.netimperative.com/2016/03/new-linkedin-duedil-helps-uncover-contacts-within-companies/

Die.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Man, and here I thought recruiters were the worst! :cheeky:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skipdogg posted:

just cause beer is free doesn't mean you have to drink 12 of them.

Actually yes it does.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

skipdogg posted:

A lot of people tonight seemed to take the free booze as a challenge. I'm not much of a drinker anymore but just cause beer is free doesn't mean you have to drink 12 of them.

edit: to add context I'm at MS Ignite and tonight was the celebration party.

lol if you think those people weren't going to go out after the event and have 12 beers anyway. Being free just means you had to see them do it at the event and they saved $70.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Actually yes it does.

despite horrible yankees avatar, this man knows what is up

:guinness:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Docjowles posted:

despite horrible yankees avatar, this man knows what is up

:guinness:

Benny Gamel is a Mariner now :smith:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I've worked at places where they used things like SHOWSTOPPER and BEST-SHORING (instead of "outsource" which was strictly verbotten) But I swear to God if I ever see anybody at work say duedil I am just going to physically attack

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MrMojok posted:

BEST-SHORING
This is up there along with "rightsizing" as the dumbest form of corporate doublespeak.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The expense tracking project has been resurrected. The old VP of accounting had been pushing for Concur because she liked its reporting at her last job, but I nixed it due to way too much negative feedback. Then she quit. Hurray!

Now Bill has brought it back to life because of the incompetent way he manages the one corporate card that's shared among many people.

I'm looking at Abacus, Expensify and Xpenditure. I'm sure there will be much demo'ing and analysis before like most projects this one gets abandoned. Again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

People here use "showstopper" and "do the needful" regularly. I may eventually burst a vein in sheer rage.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
i bet people there also use "free healthcare" and "worker's rights" and "adequate leave time" so clam the gently caress down

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

i bet people there also use "free healthcare" and "worker's rights" and "adequate leave time" so clam the gently caress down

Ahahahahaha.

Canada is great.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

cache-eh

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I've never had a complaint about concur as an end user. Makes expense reports really easy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:lol:

e: how about "let's circle back to get this close to the pin" god loving dammit i hate this fucker on the phone right now

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CLAM DOWN posted:

People here use "showstopper" and "do the needful" regularly. I may eventually burst a vein in sheer rage.

My supervisors used to use "do the needful" all the time at my old job to sound important. They were not important.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

:lol:

e: how about "let's circle back to get this close to the pin" god loving dammit i hate this fucker on the phone right now

Tell him he needs to practice his short game if he's constantly overshooting.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

What kills me is that instead of doing something sane, like making peoples' jobs easier so they can handle more work in a given time frame, many managers think that it's better to do things via terrible processes (often paper and sometimes even via multiple fedex shipments between various office locations! :v: ). But, no, spending $20,000 (in a billion dollar company) on a digital solution that would not only kill the fedex costs, it would allow you to free people up for either reassignment to areas where they desperately need manpower or allow you to trim some head count without loving the company.

But, no. They have to do everything the worst possible way so that when things get bad, the only possible thing left to do is to trim headcount until they essentially can't function.

And then there are the managers that are worse and who insist that you mirror the terrible processes in the digital transition - mainly so that they can retain headcount and keep their self importance.

Oh, and let's not forget the management that wants you to build something to think for their staff using vague references that their managers don't want to bother with anymore.
"We need this program to automatically hold accounts for review when our sales staff promises too much."
"That shouldn't be too difficult, depending on how it's done. What is the threshold for 'too much'?"
"Well, it really depends on how long we've had the customer [not recorded in their system]....how much they've paid us in the past [recorded]....how late they were paying us [not recorded]....and how well the sales person's sales have performed this year [not recorded]."
"We'd basically need to you to use your system to record all of that information so that we could build a reference on it. Where do you keep this detail now?"
"Well, each sales manager knows their area and they use this information to help them hold their sales staff accountable. But they complain that it is too hard to review what the sales staff is doing, so they want the system to automatically hold stuff so they can review it later."

Yeah. Great. I'll just invent those Matrix spikes and download that vague-rear end gut feeling and make the computer work with it. By the way, your managers are complaining about managing. Either they are lazy or you have overloaded them with pointless bullshit.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've noticed that people have started morphing "do the needful" into things like "We needfully this." I get that language changes.....but not like this. Please. :negative:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Had a client who was migrating from our MSP to internal IT, so they hired an interim guy to collect as much information from us as possible. Except he knew nothing about IT. Every call started with "Hey can I pick your brain?"

"I need to pick your brain on this"

"Let me pick your brain"

"Hope you don't mind if I pick your brain here"

"I'm gonna pick your brain for this one"

closest I've ever been to losing my poo poo on a client

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
My brain has an infection from all the picking you've been doing to it. To heal it will need at least a week of rest and generous application of medicine (booze).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dick Trauma posted:

The expense tracking project has been resurrected. The old VP of accounting had been pushing for Concur because she liked its reporting at her last job, but I nixed it due to way too much negative feedback. Then she quit. Hurray!

Now Bill has brought it back to life because of the incompetent way he manages the one corporate card that's shared among many people.

I'm looking at Abacus, Expensify and Xpenditure. I'm sure there will be much demo'ing and analysis before like most projects this one gets abandoned. Again.

Expensify is good. Nice mobile app and easy to use.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
The only people who say "do the needful" at my company or my wife's (both large software shops) are Indian. The only other usage for it we hear means to take a poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm doing the needful right now

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm doing the needful right now

Clam down and just let it needful itself out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Not on your list, but new job uses certify and they seem to like it. I just got setup on it so I can start expensing my home internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Hoo-boy, it took the entire day and went about as awful as things could have been... but we've now moved over to new VOIP host.

First thing in the morning things were ok, get less than half the staff provisioned ready to change over live phone lines, fairly simple plan.

Then people can't dial out and are getting "Service Unavailable" errors, the plan comes to a halt and now a bunch of people basically have no telecommunications. VOIP support does it's stuff in the background but not much is happening, I try to tell them inbound lines are affected as well and to maybe check the trunk settings since the PABX status page is looking questionable. Time ticks on and stress levels rise until the big boss calls them and I presume goes nuclear on them, poo poo gets fixed and I finish of the lot in the last hour of the day.

gently caress me this shouldn't have been so difficult, I just pray it carries over to the weekend service. At the very least someone gave me a google cardboard as apparently they were being handed out in town.