Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
So was last year's Astros team unlucky in terms of record or did this year's team overachieve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

CubsWoo posted:

Assuming the Mets are at least assured of a spot in a three-way breaker situation, do you pitch Syndergaard Sunday and try to lock down one of the two WC spots or do you send out Lugo on short rest/make it a bullpen day knowing your options for the WC game are Lugo, Gsellman, or Colon on 3 days rest if you use Syndergaard Sunday?

Worry about the next game after you win the current game.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Blind Pineapple posted:

So was last year's Astros team unlucky in terms of record or did this year's team overachieve?

The former

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Considering how awful Houston was at the beginning of the season, it's a credit to them that they still almost snuck into the playoffs

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
So going into the final weekend you have these three teams fighting for two playoff spots:

- A team that has lost 3 starters to season ending injuries and one of the only starters left is 43 and working through an ankle injury
- A team with a sub-.400 record since the All-Star Break
- A team currently 8 games under .500 at home needing to win their last 3 home games to try and catch the above 2 teams

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 30, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CubsWoo posted:

So going into the final weekend you have these three teams fighting for two playoff spots:

- A team that has lost 3 starters to season ending injuries and one of the only starters left is 43 and working through an ankle injury
- A team currently 8 games under .500 at home needing to win their last 3 home games to try and catch the above 2 teams

The billy goat is setting us up for one great letdown.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering how awful Houston was at the beginning of the season, it's a credit to them that they still almost snuck into the playoffs

Started and ended the season with the biggest whimper

It's so weird how the Astros are set at short and second (and maybe third now with Bregman) but can't seem to find a competent 1B, DH or LF

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I thought Gomez would be a really good fit in Houston but welp. Sucks because he should be due for a huge payday this off season, I wonder how that will go. I can totally see the Yankees paying way more than anyone else is willing to risk on him and he turns it around big time next season.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

I thought Gomez would be a really good fit in Houston but welp. Sucks because he should be due for a huge payday this off season, I wonder how that will go. I can totally see the Yankees paying way more than anyone else is willing to risk on him and he turns it around big time next season.

The Yankees emphatically do not need another iffy-offense OF right now.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I'm severely rooting for a Red Sox-Cubs World Series, that way I can be happy no matter who wins.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I'm severely rooting for a Red Sox-Cubs World Series, that way I can be happy no matter who wins.

A Red Sox-Cubs WS means that I would have to root for the Sox to jinx that guy's stupid tattoo, and I don't think I have enough spite in my heart to do that. :negative:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Started and ended the season with the biggest whimper

It's so weird how the Astros are set at short and second (and maybe third now with Bregman) but can't seem to find a competent 1B, DH or LF
Very optimistically you have:

3B Bregman / Gurriel
DH Gurriel / Bregman
1B Tyler White
LF Teoscar Hernandez / Tony Kemp

Buuuuuuuuuuut, that presumes that Hernandez/Kemp somehow make a leap forward and become actual major leaguers and that Tyler White is the Tyler White from the last few weeks and not the Tyler White from earlier this season.

Also, it presumes Gurriel doesn't continue to be ... subpar.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Popete posted:

A few weeks ago I would have said with 90% confidence he was gonna take a pillow deal to stay in Arlington and reestablish his value in a comfortable environment but he has been so goddamned good I think he can get a legit 3-4 year deal

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Mets have announced that Gsellman/Colon/Syndergaard will start the series against the Phillies, with Colon then lined up to start the WC game on 3 days' rest and Syndergaard starting game 1 of the DS, though I expect if we clinch WC1 before Sunday Syndergaard will get pushed back so he's starting the WC game.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Julio Cruz posted:

Mets have announced that Gsellman/Colon/Syndergaard will start the series against the Phillies, with Colon then lined up to start the WC game on 3 days' rest and Syndergaard starting game 1 of the DS, though I expect if we clinch WC1 before Sunday Syndergaard will get pushed back so he's starting the WC game.

Joke's gonna be on them when they're playing a tiebreaker on Monday :getin:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Carlos Gomez has had what, two good years (his age 27 and 28 seasons) in the decade he's been in the big leagues?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

Very optimistically you have:

3B Bregman / Gurriel
DH Gurriel / Bregman
1B Tyler White
LF Teoscar Hernandez / Tony Kemp

Buuuuuuuuuuut, that presumes that Hernandez/Kemp somehow make a leap forward and become actual major leaguers and that Tyler White is the Tyler White from the last few weeks and not the Tyler White from earlier this season.

Also, it presumes Gurriel doesn't continue to be ... subpar.

DHing Bregman would make zero sense, the dude has been a wizard with the glove at third. Hell, I've gotten to the point I want him to be the everyday shortstop and slide Correa over to third but I know that probably won't happen

Gurriel didn't play baseball at all until the Astros brought him in, is that right? So optimistically he could be better with ST and playing a whole season. But yeah he's been below replacement level for awhile now

I have literally zero expectations for Tyler White long term

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The Pussy Boss posted:

Carlos Gomez has had what, two good years (his age 27 and 28 seasons) in the decade he's been in the big leagues?

Yeah I was just looking at that the other day, he's something like a .728 OPS career. As much as I enjoy Gomez I don't know if teams are willing to sign him to a big deal considering he is over 30 and regressed badly this year.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Someone will pay him for his last 3 seasons of work and just hope that his numbers in Houston where the result of Houston being some sort of miserable hellhole to play for.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I didn't see this posted before; it looks like Jake Arrieta is really salty about the fact he's pitching himself out of that bigtime contract.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-cubs-jake-arrieta-miguel-montero-september-spring-training-20160928-story.html

quote:

There's no crying in baseball, Jake.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

New Concept Hole posted:

Someone will pay him for his last 3 seasons of work and just hope that his numbers in Houston where the result of Houston being some sort of miserable hellhole to play for.

Which might not be inaccurate, see: JD Martinez, Jonathan Villar, Robbie Grossman all after leaving Houston. Hell, look at Gomez's numbers in Arlington

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

I didn't see this posted before; it looks like Jake Arrieta is really salty about the fact he's pitching himself out of that bigtime contract.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-cubs-jake-arrieta-miguel-montero-september-spring-training-20160928-story.html

Perhaps...he shouldn't give up seven runs in five innings.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nail Rat posted:

My guess he's more salty about the fact that he just had his worst outing as a Cub to date to cap off his season. Playoffs are just around the corner and if he throws well there the Cubs will in turn throw money at him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Der Meister posted:

Perhaps...he shouldn't give up seven runs in five innings.

It's not his fault, the feel wasn't there!

quote:

My guess he's more salty about the fact that he just had his worst outing as a Cub to date to cap off his season. Playoffs are just around the corner and if he throws well there the Cubs will in turn throw money at him.

Obviously, but it seems like he's blaming anyone but himself. And the Cubs will only sign him if he pitches poorly enough to get out of that 7 year 200 million dollar megacontract he looked to have lined up. There's no way they pay him that to pitch until he's 38.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
If the fielders had been taking the game seriously, they would've caught all those hits!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bawfuls posted:

This stuff happens every year now, but there's something extra special about a Cubs fan doing it

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/781547628681191424

Congrats to the Giants on their 4th Edition of Even Year Bullshit

e: also any year without the Yankees in the playoffs is a good year

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 30, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CubsWoo posted:

I was reading this and trying to figure out how that applied to the Mariners, Orioles and Blue Jays and then realized that you're a Cubs fan and this was the National League.

Suddenly the world made sense again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nail Rat posted:

Obviously, but it seems like he's blaming anyone but himself. And the Cubs will only sign him if he pitches poorly enough to get out of that 7 year 200 million dollar megacontract he looked to have lined up. There's no way they pay him that to pitch until he's 38.

I don't disagree with you that he's being a shitter about it. He was mad Montero got pulled and then he proceeded to give up three runs in the 5th, but that's still ignoring that he'd given up four runs in the previous four so it's not like he was on some kind of roll. :rolleyes: Hopefully he can channel his anger into throwing a good NLDS Game 3.

ALFbrot posted:

If the fielders had been taking the game seriously, they would've caught all those hits!

drat you spring training feel! :argh:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sydin posted:

I don't disagree with you that he's being a shitter about it. He was mad Montero got pulled and then he proceeded to give up three runs in the 5th, but that's still ignoring that he'd given up four runs in the previous four so it's not like he was on some kind of roll. :rolleyes: Hopefully he can channel his anger into throwing a good NLDS Game 3.

drat you spring training feel! :argh:

Hopefully he channels his anger into falling down a mineshaft and not coming out until his career is long forgotten.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Giants goons, have any idea what scalpers outside AT&T will be charging tonight? Nosebleed seats on stub hub are around $60 after fees, and that's been steady for a few weeks

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Which might not be inaccurate, see: JD Martinez, Jonathan Villar, Robbie Grossman all after leaving Houston. Hell, look at Gomez's numbers in Arlington

Minute Maid is a pitchers' park for sure but I can't see anyone giving him a big FA contract on the strength of 124PA with a .340 BABIP in one of the biggest launching pads in the game. Unless it's the Braves, of course.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Jake can be a real jag but I appreciate that he puts so much energy and passion into expecting the best from himself at all times. I don't like the timing of this but I also would rather him talk about what's annoying him rather than bottle it up.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Minute Maid is a pitchers' park for sure but I can't see anyone giving him a big FA contract on the strength of 124PA with a .340 BABIP in one of the biggest launching pads in the game. Unless it's the Braves, of course.

The notoriously righty-killing Juice Box, where the left field wall is 315 feet away

And lol .340 BABIP, how unsustainable

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

ALFbrot posted:

Tbf this is how it worked for 1.5 seasons straight. I'd be mad too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The notoriously righty-killing Juice Box, where the left field wall is 315 feet away

And lol .340 BABIP, how unsustainable

It's literally the least hitter-friendly park in baseball this year. And a BABIP 25 points over your career mark is pretty unsustainable, yes.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

It's literally the least hitter-friendly park in baseball this year. And a BABIP 25 points over your career mark is pretty unsustainable, yes.

It only appears hitter unfriendly because at least half of the teams playing in it at any given time has garbage hitting

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
There's a Vin Scully story generator and if it's already been posted before then it should drat well be posted again.

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 30, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

It only appears hitter unfriendly because at least half of the teams playing in it at any given time has garbage hitting

ESPN ranks it 30/30. Baseball-Reference gives it a park value of 89 which is last in MLB. The Astros's collective OPS is 41 points higher on the road.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

elentar posted:

There's a Vin Scully story generator and if it's already been posted before then it should drat well be posted again.

This owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Someone needs to build an AI that can do that with a Vin Scully voice synthesizer. If we can't have robo-umps at least give is robo-announcers.

• Locked thread