Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
To be fair, given how Estelle's deflected orbal bullets with her staff, I wouldn't be surprised if they were safer outside the tank than inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
True, but in that case, you'd start wondering about the discussion Class VII has after the mock tank battle at Garrellia Fortress in CS1 where they wonder whether, with this kind of destructive power being used in war, swords and spears still have a place on the battlefield. Nobody back there said: "Of course, as long as you can twirl them around fast enough." :D

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Fear the advent of the Weapon-Spinning Battalion, consisting solely of tanks with good fighters standing on top of them twirling their weapons. Peak destructive power and the optimum defense against ranged attacks.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Erpy posted:

True, but in that case, you'd start wondering about the discussion Class VII has after the mock tank battle at Garrellia Fortress in CS1 where they wonder whether, with this kind of destructive power being used in war, swords and spears still have a place on the battlefield. Nobody back there said: "Of course, as long as you can twirl them around fast enough." :D

Maybe it's more of a Liberlan thing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Levantine posted:

Maybe it's more of a Liberlan thing.

I'm now having an image in my head of General Morgan standing on top of his airship spinning his halbert around like a propellor.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Erpy posted:

I'm now having an image in my head of General Morgan standing on top of his airship spinning his halbert around like a propellor.

To be fair, Gaius does that.

Though not on top of an airship.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erpy posted:

Spinning seems too undignified for him. General Morgan would swat all the bullets away with a single strike, while sitting at an immaculateately polished desk.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I just interpreted the singular tanks as making up a company/platoon of them, with people standing on them to differentiate specific ones. I mean, they're calling them "Armored Divisions," which would make them pretty sad if they consisted of 7 tanks total.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
During the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan, most Soviet conscripts choose to ride on top of their BTRs instead of inside them, since they would probably survive a mine strike in that case while everyone inside the vehicle was almost certainly dead. This changed later on in the war as more advanced AFVs starting being deployed in quantity, but it wasn't unheard of even during Magistral in 87.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Reiterpallasch posted:

During the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan, most Soviet conscripts choose to ride on top of their BTRs instead of inside them, since they would probably survive a mine strike in that case while everyone inside the vehicle was almost certainly dead. This changed later on in the war as more advanced AFVs starting being deployed in quantity, but it wasn't unheard of even during Magistral in 87.

I don't think that's why Tank Dad's standing on his tank.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ssh: Tank Dad's afraid to leave his tank!

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Really Pants posted:

:ssh: Tank Dad's afraid to leave his tank!

Tank Dad will hug you to death for even suggesting he's afraid of anything.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how dare you pinch the cheeks of our crown prince you unforgivable monster

he'll be traumatized for life

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 1, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

haha what the hell am I supposed to do with this ng+ boss

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Really Pants posted:

how dare you pinch the cheeks of our crown prince you unforgivable monster

he'll be traumatized for life

They really should switch to Absolute Cognatic ASAP and just have Alfin inherit.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/alyossan/status/782054228382461952

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pictured: what actually happens when you use Bullet Cyclone during a Fie/Laura Overdrive.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Behold, the might of the Arseid School!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This epilogue is :perfect:

I think I'm starting to get the whole deal with C, finally. He went along with the Noble Alliance for his grandpa's revenge and after that he was stuck riding a tiger, right? It's why Team Rean wanted to "rescue" him so bad, and it's why they were so pissed off at Duke Cayenne even when he wasn't doing anything worse than being a smartass. They didn't blame Crow for following the orders--they blamed the duke for giving them.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 1, 2016

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

This epilogue is :perfect:

I think I'm starting to get the whole deal with C, finally. He went along with the Noble Alliance for his grandpa's revenge and after that he was stuck riding a tiger, right? It's why Team Rean wanted to "rescue" him so bad, and it's why they were so pissed off at Duke Cayenne even when he wasn't doing anything worse than being a smartass. They didn't blame Crow for following the orders--they blamed the duke for giving them.

Well, kinda. I don't think it's fair to completely rob C of agency, even though he was little more than a shell-shocked teenager when he was drafted into the Noble Alliance's insurgery plot. True, the ILF was essentially a part of the Noble Alliance's impending uprising, rather than an independant terrorist group, so in the end it's kinda hard to determine just how much of the ILF's actions were planned by the Noble Alliance's brains and how much of it was cooked up by Crow, but in the end he WAS involved. When he started attending Thors, Towa and George note that there was something "hollow" behind Crow's easy-going attitude and Angelica eventually confronted him about it and gave him a righteous beating in the process. I assume Crow was initially like Scarlet and Vulcan; completely devoted to killing Osborne and seeing little point in life aside from that. Afterwards, through Towa's, Angelica's and George's friendship first and his membership of Class VII later, Crow started discovering there were other important things aside from his business with the chancelor. I don't think Crow ever really considered backing out of the whole thing, he considered revenge on Osborne to be a personal obligation towards his grandfather, but even if he did ever consider turning back, it was way too late to back out. He was already part of the ILF, year-long plans were already in motion, he was already the Azure Awakener, Vita was counting on him and so were the nobles who sponsored his attendence at Thors.

I image the reason they were pissed at Cayenne, aside from being a respectless smartass who was mocking a deceased friend, was also because he was simply behind everything. He was the one who recruited Crow into the insurgery and sent him out to find others with a grudge against Osborne to form the ILF. He's the one who planned and started the civil war. (note that it wasn't Crow shooting Osborne that triggered the war, but the Noble Faction invading every major city in the empire) Without him, Crow wouldn't have attended Thors, but he wouldn't have thrown his life away the way he did either.

The reason Class VII wanted to "save" Crow was because most of the stuff Crow did was stuff that was part of a grand plan concocted by someone else and because they saw that despite everything that happened, the affection between Crow and Class VII was genuine. It's doubtful Crow would have graduated without being arrested for terrorism and treason, but he might have decided to accompany Rean and co anyway if not for Cayenne's meddling.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also, well, there seems to be an implicit understanding that Osbourne is an rear end in a top hat who had it coming.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just in case anyone else was still wondering, you can mix and match clear data from both games. I'm glad Falcom included that option.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Welp, first playthough is in the can. I'm going to wait a bit to go back into Nightmare and let the game settle a bit. The Epilogue was just about perfect: One last free day together, one last mystery to solve. "Oh, this trial ain't worth poo poo to you guys, just so you know." and Rean's reaction of "Welp, why do you climb a mountain? Because it's there" cracked me up. Final boss had gobs of HP but was probably the easiest boss I had fought in hours. Laura dealt nearly one-third of its life in one Critical Turn 200CP S-break. All in all, I felt the Epilogue was really emotionally affecting, but satisfying overall. There was never a chance Class VII would stay together forever because that's not how life works. Rean seemed at peace with it too. I liked that his ending photo was him meeting Patrick of all people. It was a proper ending for Class VII's story and I couldn't be happier.

Cold Steel 3 has a lot to cover, and I do wonder if Rean will still be the main character or not. They managed to end the story started in Cold Steel but planted a LOT of seeds for future games. Still have so many questions but they'll have to wait! Hopefully Trails in the Sky 3rd will scratch the itch in the interim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Welp, first playthough is in the can. I'm going to wait a bit to go back into Nightmare and let the game settle a bit. The Epilogue was just about perfect: One last free day together, one last mystery to solve. "Oh, this trial ain't worth poo poo to you guys, just so you know." and Rean's reaction of "Welp, why do you climb a mountain? Because it's there" cracked me up. Final boss had gobs of HP but was probably the easiest boss I had fought in hours. Laura dealt nearly one-third of its life in one Critical Turn 200CP S-break. All in all, I felt the Epilogue was really emotionally affecting, but satisfying overall. There was never a chance Class VII would stay together forever because that's not how life works. Rean seemed at peace with it too. I liked that his ending photo was him meeting Patrick of all people. It was a proper ending for Class VII's story and I couldn't be happier.

Cold Steel 3 has a lot to cover, and I do wonder if Rean will still be the main character or not. They managed to end the story started in Cold Steel but planted a LOT of seeds for future games. Still have so many questions but they'll have to wait! Hopefully Trails in the Sky 3rd will scratch the itch in the interim.

Rean is all over the artwork for CS3 so it's safe to assume he'll still be the main character.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I think my largest hope for CS3 is we actually get around to visiting western Erebonia. Locations over there have been constantly mentioned and referenced throughout both 1 and 2, both in passing and in "everyone but Rean has wandered over there at some point," but we the player have never been there.There's a good chance since cleaning up the remaining rebellious Noble Faction forces that are apparently congregating around Ordis seems like a thing that will be addressed in CS3, but need to wait and see. By contrast, we'd already at least briefly visited just about all of Liberl's regions by the end of FC, let alone SC.

I mean, there are fairly decent odds Crossbell also make up a fair amount of the game, but I doubt the most important portions will be there.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lord Koth posted:

I think my largest hope for CS3 is we actually get around to visiting western Erebonia. Locations over there have been constantly mentioned and referenced throughout both 1 and 2, both in passing and in "everyone but Rean has wandered over there at some point," but we the player have never been there.There's a good chance since cleaning up the remaining rebellious Noble Faction forces that are apparently congregating around Ordis seems like a thing that will be addressed in CS3, but need to wait and see. By contrast, we'd already at least briefly visited just about all of Liberl's regions by the end of FC, let alone SC.

I mean, there are fairly decent odds Crossbell also make up a fair amount of the game, but I doubt the most important portions will be there.

I do hope the Crossbell stuff has a bigger role in CS3, otherwise that chapter is a confusing inclusion. It's clear that at some point in the games' many series, a lot of concurrent plot-lines will converge but its inclusion in Cold Steel 2 makes me think theirs will be sooner rather than later.

Frankly, my greatest hope for CS3 is They go full Xenogears with it. Everyone gets a giant robot, whether a Divine Knight or an upgraded Soldat (like General Bardias had). I hope the Noble Faction stuff is done tbh, I'm not really sure where they could go with it other than "repeat plot of CS2 again". Western Erebonia sounds cool though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Levantine posted:

I do hope the Crossbell stuff has a bigger role in CS3, otherwise that chapter is a confusing inclusion. It's clear that at some point in the games' many series, a lot of concurrent plot-lines will converge but its inclusion in Cold Steel 2 makes me think theirs will be sooner rather than later.

Frankly, my greatest hope for CS3 is They go full Xenogears with it. Everyone gets a giant robot, whether a Divine Knight or an upgraded Soldat (like General Bardias had). I hope the Noble Faction stuff is done tbh, I'm not really sure where they could go with it other than "repeat plot of CS2 again". Western Erebonia sounds cool though.

Eh, that's somewhat easy to fit in. Just have the cleanup of the remnants as the prologue/introductory chapter with Rean and Valimar alone, or possibly with certain specific characters from the Ironbloods, before the story truly starts. Basically the equivalent of the Lloyd/Rixia segment in CS2.

As for the main portion, while I do see them going to Crossbell, most of the plot will probably be dealing with the fallout involving Osborrne taking over the Phantasmal Blaze Plan, along with whatever that is in the first place. And as the PBP was specific to Erebonia, with it being a different plan in Crossbell, most of the major portions will probably be taking place there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Rean is all over the artwork for CS3 so it's safe to assume he'll still be the main character.

Is there more than one piece thereof?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

OddObserver posted:

Is there more than one piece thereof?

Yeah that's an unfair statement to make when literally the only CS3 art we've seen is a single shot of Rean hidden in Tokyo Xanadu EX

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lord Koth posted:

Eh, that's somewhat easy to fit in. Just have the cleanup of the remnants as the prologue/introductory chapter with Rean and Valimar alone, or possibly with certain specific characters from the Ironbloods, before the story truly starts. Basically the equivalent of the Lloyd/Rixia segment in CS2.

As for the main portion, while I do see them going to Crossbell, most of the plot will probably be dealing with the fallout involving Osborrne taking over the Phantasmal Blaze Plan, along with whatever that is in the first place. And as the PBP was specific to Erebonia, with it being a different plan in Crossbell, most of the major portions will probably be taking place there.

The Phantasmal Blaze plan is the events of both Erebonia and Crossbell. The Azure Zero project is just a component of it, relating to the first half of the Plan name.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my prediction for CS3 is that Rean will be sort of like Joshua was in Sky SC. You'll get asides where you play as him, and he'll probably be the star of the prologue, but the main character will be someone else.

actually they could just make the protag elise and make it literally sky sc in every possible way.

Also with Bleublanc mentioning the events of Sky, I can't help but imagine that Estelle, Renne, and Joshua might pop up in some capacity.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

cs2 ng+ Somehow Rosine was the bigger surprise

wonder if she has one of those chain swords :aaa:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 3, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

(ending stuff) So Osborne went and dumped Rean in the snow about twelve years ago. Isn't that right around the same time as Hamel and the Hundred Days War? I have no idea how those fit together, of course, but there's no such thing as a coincidence in videogame writing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Really Pants posted:

(ending stuff) So Osborne went and dumped Rean in the snow about twelve years ago. Isn't that right around the same time as Hamel and the Hundred Days War? I have no idea how those fit together, of course, but there's no such thing as a coincidence in videogame writing.

Yeah, right about the time of the Hamel incident. (either that or its aftermath)

We still don't know exactly how Osborne was involved. Either that was in the twilight of his military days or around the time he entered politics. Vita suggests he was involved with Hamel somehow, though it's left ambigious whether he was part of the war hawk faction that got mostly executed afterwards and he escaped blame somehow or he was involved in the elimination of said faction and the brutal suppression of the truth afterwards. Both involve the ruthlessness he's known for and displayed so far.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Speculation is half the fun of playing these games tbh. For what are ostensibly low budget games, Falcom has done a spectacular job of keeping the narrative simple and interesting over the course of how many games now? They definitely know how to get the most out of what they can do.

e: well, simple-ish. there are a lot of moving parts but none of it feels like bullshit is what I mean.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 3, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I want Prince Olivert to be wrong about Chancellor Osborne working with Ouroboros. I want it to turn out that Osborne has been fighting against them all this time, in his own ruthless way, and just subjugating neighbor states as kind of a hobby on the side.

Then we can have Ollie & Ozzie's Trails of Buddy Cops.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure Osbourne's entire thing is being super xenophobic and not wanting anybody other than Erebonia to have super weapons. Since any given territory could end up having a sept-terrion or other super powerful artifact best subjugate them early and seize them before they could potentially be put to use against the only country that matters. The Church and Ouroboros are foreign organizations that know a lot, share little, have unclear motives and are collecting super weapons. Now Osbourne gets to be all of that too only with a motive that you can at least have an easier time guessing at.

I doubt he's been fighting against Ouroboros thus far so much as they've been using him, he's been using them and now he's ready to race them to the finish.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_5v5AxM0TU&t=2035s

:eyepop: that foreshadowing. anyway Black Records these giant statues are probably the two gods and/or sept-terrions right? Neat.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

God I can't wait till we hit the game where they give us the Arseille and the Courageous flying alongside eachother.