Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Yeah, the dark gimmick sucks, but the sections aren't too bad, all things considered. The single worst part of it was that optional room with the ghost and the music sheet, and with no background to help you get your bearings, but at least in the rest of the level, you get enough background to contrast with the dark sprites in between flashes of light.

I'm just glad that they got the worst level gimmick in the game out of the way really early.

Specter Knight is nice and fairly easy fun though. He's a little hard to beat quickly unless you use the Flare Rod, but getting lucky for him to teleport down on the same side of the arena lets you get in some easy bounces. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
What happens if you fail to catch her?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The nightmare ends, same as if you caught her.

mechanically there is no difference but it is sadder because i feel like i am letting shovel knight down :(

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 24, 2016

NejD
Oct 3, 2013
im one of the few people who dont really like this game and specter knight is one of the reasons, i really hate the darkness gimmick and it being so early in the game when i wasnt used to the controls at all didnt really help and i think i was stuck on the boss for like 15-20 mins. I have always really really hated the darkness gimmick in every game it appears it just wastes time and in a game as movement driven as SK it sucks all the fun for me. i then got stuck on treasure knights stage and quit until i brought it on 3ds like a year and a half later which was way better because the 3ds dpad is the free beer and hookers of dpads if anyone is going to buy the game i whole heartedly recommend getting the 3ds version.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Yeah I think the darkness/silhouette thing would've worked better a bit later in the game, when you've better internalized exactly how Shovel Knight moves and feel more confident making jumps you know you can make. I still love this level and this boss, though, but I'm pretty okay with making such "leaps of faith"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

When I first played this game I did the Specter Knight level before King Knight and yeah, the darkness gimmick really sucks when you're not completely used to how Shovel Knight moves yet. The music kept me going through the stage though. One of my favourite tracks in the game.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Oh, so that's how you get those three gems. Huh.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
These stages seem to come about because someone wants to show off the cool lighting effects they made, though I didn't find this stage nearly as bad a the ones from games like DKC and Ninja Gaiden 2.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah, I had a tough time with the darkness, although looking back at least the level designers did their best to ramp the gimmick up at a reasonable rate. It's still kind of crazy how much tougher this stage is than Pridemoor Keep though. I'd almost want to swap it with one of the next set of levels (Lost City for me, although YMMV).

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The darkness mechanic was great in Ninja Gaiden 2 :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MachuPikacchu posted:

Oh, so that's how you get those three gems. Huh.

not gonna lie, I had no idea how to get them for the longest time and had to look it up myself

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
This game is rad and I like everything about it, even the froggy puns. Keep digging!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hello friends-- a short video today! just cleaning up mostthe bonus areas that are around and doing some quick shopping:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So far the voting is going the right way!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'm not 100% sure but I think you can regain treasure dropped down holes with the fishing rod. It's been a long time since I played and maybe it was just coincidence.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samovar posted:

So far the voting is going the right way!

The real reward is having performed out Knightly duties by vanquishing a menace to the realm. :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You might have noticed we picked up a couple music sheets in that video... Here's what the Bard had to say about them!

11 - Watch Me Dance!
Whatever dangers you face, there's never a bad time to do a little dancing.
"'You should write a tarantella'! Last time I take the advice of a painter."

18 - The Adventure Awaits
Travel across the land with determination, in high spirits!
"You know, they've done studies; reading maps is far easier with a musical backing."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Those dance moves were straight fire.

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013
They definitely had some kick to em'.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

From a graveyard to a volcano-- this game's got it all!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I went to another stage after you get to this section of the map and quit shortly afterwards, so this is all new to me. The side scrolling section with the butt slime looks fun and terrifying at the same time; you made it look easy but I'm sure I would have flipped my desk in frustration after the 5th fiery death.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I think Lost City might be my favourite stage - it's quite a relaxed one, and the bouncing mechanics were fun and unexpected.

I certainly found it a lot easier than the Lich Yard even with all the insta-death lava, and if it were up to me I'd be tempted to swap the two levels around (although saying that, it's still a lot tougher than Pridemoor Keep. And I was probably helped out a little by having more health and tools when I tackled Lost City).

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Not to mention that the music is amazing. The game's main composer, Jake Kaufman, has the game's arranged OST up on his Bandcamp page, and it has this snappy EDM cover of the Lost City theme (don't go poking around there unless you want to be spoiled about the names of some later stages).

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

He's also just an all-around great guy.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

MachuPikacchu posted:

and it has this snappy EDM cover of the Lost City theme

Yo dawg this remix is sick as gently caress

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think Kaufmann got some of his start remixing stuff for that old Overclocked Remix site. I remember listening to his mixes in high school.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MachuPikacchu posted:

The game's main composer, Jake Kaufman, has the game's arranged OST up on his Bandcamp page

So the great thing about the arranged album is that the only songs on there that are composed by him are the songs he made for Shovel Knight's trailers as it was being revealed/released. The rest of them are remixes of the songs he wrote for Shovel Knight (with some exceptions that we'll get into some upcoming videos) done by other people!

As mentioned above by Night, Jake Kaufman actually got his start remixing music for websites like OCRemix. He goes into this in the description of the arranged album:

Virt posted:

As some of you may know, I grew up musically as a fan arranger of video game music; before I wrote my first commercial game soundtrack, I had already written dozens of hobbyist arrangements, and released them for free through communities like OCRemix and VGMix. To this day I am still constantly arranging game music, as a hobby and sometimes as a job!

I have made many lifelong friends through the VGM scene, and several of these amazing musicians have graciously contributed their talents to this album.

[kaubocks note: snipping a line here that I'll post at a later date]

I wholeheartedly encourage anyone reading this with any musical inclination to have fun with Shovel Knight themes! Even if you have no training or skills, it's never been easier or cheaper to get started with music. Shovel Knight was composed entirely using free software.

Make your own arrangements! Make music videos! Write lyrics! Do crazy stuff! Be brilliant! Be stupid! Share your creativity and love of game music with the world. It's why I make the source files available, and why this album is free.

Heck, if you write your own arrangement that you're proud of, send it to me! I may even add it as a bonus track to this very album.

<3
virt

Granted, I've never really pried into his life outside of the songs he's put out but from what I can glean he's a pretty cool guy. He also puts out a ton of his music for free! ...or at the very least it's pay what you want, if you were inclined to toss him a few bucks. Personally I'm a big fan of his variation of the Crypt of the Necrodancer soundtrack.

...oh hey, speaking of music, we picked up a couple new music sheets didn't we?

31 - An Underlying Problem
An excavation project of this scope would be respectable, in happier times.
"This driving ditty was meant to increase productivity. But it backfired completely - everyone started dancing!"

32 - The Claws of Fate
It's a shame that Mole Knight has used his digging prowess for evil.
"Mole Knight. Now there's a fellow who understands the concept of crunch time."

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 1, 2016

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Jake "Virt" Kaufman posted:

Shovel Knight was composed entirely using free software.
:aaaaa:
This blows my mind pretty thoroughly. I always feel like this sort of software costs too much money whenever I look into it. I should probably look harder.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

A Pleasant Hug posted:

:aaaaa:
This blows my mind pretty thoroughly. I always feel like this sort of software costs too much money whenever I look into it. I should probably look harder.
If you're curious, I think he used Famitracker in VRC6 mode. It's a pretty neat tool (speaking as someone who has used it to do a lot of silly things).

And yeah, Lost City has pretty great music. It's not quite my favourite (we'll be getting to that one some time later), but it's definitely up there.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kaufman also did a remixed version of the NecroDancer soundtrack, if I remember correctly.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

JackGeneric posted:

They've committed to Plague, Spectre, and I think... King? Plague Knight's is out, Spectre Knight's is scheduled for Spring 2017, and nothing is known about King Knight's yet.

God, when you're addicted to chain-pogoing (like this game absolutely trains you to be - you can chew through a good 60% of King Knight's health bar without ever touching the ground) the Plague Knight DLC is the most terrifying thing in the world. He absolutely does NOT handle like Shovel Knight and it's the most disorienting thing imaginable. I can only hope King Knight and Spectre Knight get similar overhauls!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Paul.Power posted:

If you're curious, I think he used Famitracker in VRC6 mode. It's a pretty neat tool (speaking as someone who has used it to do a lot of silly things).

And yeah, Lost City has pretty great music. It's not quite my favourite (we'll be getting to that one some time later), but it's definitely up there.
Please, famitracker and such can get far sillier.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

EDIT: frick

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 5, 2016

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I absolutely, positively cannot stand those Goku guys, and that room with the dropping anchors is, to me, one of the hardest rooms in the game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sleeping with your helmet on has to be the worst for your neck.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Yo quick update-- just took the video down because for whatever reason YouTube lost the 60fps option and I will not stand for that! I'm in the process of reuploading it. Should be back up within the hour.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kaubocks posted:

Yo quick update-- just took the video down because for whatever reason YouTube lost the 60fps option and I will not stand for that! I'm in the process of reuploading it. Should be back up within the hour.

I was wondering why you kept disappearing during the close quarters Blue Knight fight (and the boss, just got to it).

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Here's the video again in piping hot 60fps! Thanks YouTube!

27 - A Thousand Leagues Below
Deep beneath the waves, riches await the brave... and the crazed.
"Another masterpiece from my foreign colleague. She was serenading adventurers when I was still in bard college!"

28 - The Bounty Hunter
Treasure Knight is certainly crazed, and he's not the type to share...
"This shyster kept trying to low-ball my bid, until I told him he'd win a gold medal for his theme."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait, the Iron Whale's first music sheet is in a fishing hole!? I've never been able to find it and thought it just must have had a really hidden room. I never considered that you might need to fish it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I hate, hate, HATED those eel sorcerers.

• Locked thread