Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

- uh. any word from space neet?

She was watching the Hope brainwashing video in her van in space at the end of the Future Arc, don't know if Hope Arc went back to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

CryingAthena posted:

She was watching the Hope brainwashing video in her van in space at the end of the Future Arc, don't know if Hope Arc went back to that.

That segment was only showing what would have happened had Mitarai actually succeeded in broadcasting the video. One can only assume that she's still NEETing it up in space without a care in the world, having Monokumas bring up packages from not-Amazon regularly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On Mikan as long as they keep her from anyone that would abuse her personal issues the way Junko did she's probably okay. Also I thought she did watch the prototype anime back when she went to look for Mitarai and got nabbed by Junko instead.

Mikan really was the only example of Junko actually preying on personal issues to drive someone to her side instead of using alternate methods otherwise, so she probably deserves to go with her class-mates who can fix her problems, or at least keep her from going elsewhere. Plus they're going to need some ability to perform medical procedures and Izuru/Hajime alone probably isn't enough, so might as well keep the Nurse.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This entire story started because people protested Naegi's decision to rehabilitate the 77th class, so the fact they ended up saving the day is supposed to be the big "hey look, Naegi was right" moment.

Would've been kinda nice if he had managed to accomplish anything besides that though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
tengan just really hated his coworkers

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

BlitzBlast posted:

This entire story started because people protested Naegi's decision to rehabilitate the 77th class, so the fact they ended up saving the day is supposed to be the big "hey look, Naegi was right" moment.

Would've been kinda nice if he had managed to accomplish anything besides that though.

He had that whole scene of stopping Munakata, that was the big Naegi does something for the anime and that cool.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It occurs to me that if Tengan didn't want Mitarai to die... Why did he bring him down with everyone else?? Because it'd be suspicious if he was the only one not there? WHO CARES? It'd add survivor's guilt onto everything else that he'd have to be depressed about and it's not like anyone in the event itself could do anything about it.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems like the general reaction was "it's a pretty bad series so gently caress it, res everyone, why not". It's a pretty poo poo deal that just Chiaki dies and literally everybody else lives though, I'd trade about half of the idiots in SDR's cast for that ending.

Well, and the people in the future arc.

IceBorg posted:

They probably left his fate open-ended like this because, despite him being left in a pretty lovely situation, he kinda did some bad stuff like trying to kill everyone, actually killing someone twice (one of then was Tengan who was a dick but still) so they left it open-ended and the fans can decide if he deserves to move on and start a new and better organization or if he will just travel the world being sad and die alone.

Uh I mean that's still not as bad as the 77th class having gone all KILL UR FAMIL. Remember how Akane mentioned she had little brothers? The tense being important consider the whole ~despair~ thing? Yeah...

GimmickMan posted:

Considering how bad DR3 was at trying to be clever and have moments of pathos, I'm glad they went for maximum cheese instead. It is seriously rushed and they probably wanted this to be over as much as I did, but I don't care.

It's finally over. We're free of the arching Kibougamine Gakuen storyline and can focus further entries on known best character Nagito.

See that's the thing that bugs me. Kirigiri being alive and everyone from the 77th class shifts the tone to saccharine sweet but the show just sorta acts like you're supposed to forget that a bunch of completely innocent and well meaning people are dead. :shrug:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 30, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm still confused as to how Tengan's original plan was going to make Mitarai broadcast the video. I mean the killing game wasn't being broadcasted, and I don't believe Tengan is that stupid as to believe that the SHSL Detective wouldn't be able to figure out how the killing game worked, meaning that there would be survivors.

I mean I guess that's what the time-delayed message is for, but... it's the most flimsy plan ever.

Also the helicopter that was shooting at Hagakure was never explained, nor the explosion that brought down Togami's crew, was it?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tired Moritz posted:

tengan just really hated his coworkers

What did Bandai do to deserve his forbidden action :smith:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

can't believe the real 13th branch director was the friends we made along the way

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

cloofish posted:

What did Bandai do to deserve his forbidden action :smith:

Years of nonsensical farmer's sayings can drive a man to despair more effectively than any brainwashing video.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
bandai's a bitch who won't stop stealing his food in the work fridge.

also I'm really glad Kirigiri is still alive because dying via poison would be such a weakass kill for the ultimate detective. If she's willing to kill Naegi in DR1 for her life, no way in hell is she gonna just sit back and die.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm still confused as to how Tengan's original plan was going to make Mitarai broadcast the video. I mean the killing game wasn't being broadcasted, and I don't believe Tengan is that stupid as to believe that the SHSL Detective wouldn't be able to figure out how the killing game worked, meaning that there would be survivors.

I mean I guess that's what the time-delayed message is for, but... it's the most flimsy plan ever.

Also the helicopter that was shooting at Hagakure was never explained, nor the explosion that brought down Togami's crew, was it?

It was supposed to be broadcast to the outside, to Mitarai to see, the whole point is that Mitarai wasn't expected to be there and he showed up at last moment so Tengan had to come up with something to manipulate Mitarai still so he put him in the game but dropped the whole braodcast to the outside stuff because there was no need but I guess since, hopefully, all people, besides Mitarai, would either die or be brainwashed he didn't bother changing the Monokuma recording to not mention the broadcast thing because it's not like he knew Naegi and co. would be able to talk with the outside later :shrug:

And Kirigiri WAS supose to figure out how the killing game worked, that's why Tengan made Mitarai be with her at all times when they split up, that's also why her forbidden action was what it was, it was one that would gave her enough time to investigate and tell Mitarai how the game worked (and then in the end Mitarai would receive the massage on his phone from Tengan) but not enough for her to figure out that Tengan was controlling Mitarai because she would die before coming to that conclusion.

Yeah thinking about it one complaint I have about Future side is that they didn't spend enough time explaining Tengan's plan, you have to go out of your way and watch the previous episodes to figure out what was on his mind, because I have been rewatching and right way from the first episode you can see the thing he says and he does have a different meaning.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Someone I know made a list of all of the plot holes she found in Future: http://pastebin.com/2Gs2she1

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I found out what Munakata got up to after all this

Eye healed up nicely.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someone I know made a list of all of the plot holes she found in Future: http://pastebin.com/2Gs2she1
some of these are pretty great

"Kyouske says he has a plan, that tengen knows nothing about him and his plan. It's pretty clear kyouske has literally no loving plan."

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Not really sure how to feel sorry for munakata, the person who instigated this poo poo because he couldn't leave well enough alone and wanted to rule over hope academy so much that he put his housewife and gay lover in charge of letting poo poo go bad to the point where they can't even tell him the truth about the person who caused the world to go into despair. The villains of this show are Tengen, Chisa, Juzo, and Munakata. At least Juzo did what he did out of love.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So did Munakata. He loved Chisa and her kicking the bucket drove him into despair and when he found out she was a poo poo, he got hoped.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

the moral of dangan ronpa is to never love, stop giving a gently caress, and go to space

wait holy poo poo fukawa is a loving serial killer, why is she allowed in a school

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 30, 2016

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Nah, Munakata did everything because he thought he was hot poo poo and in the process, fell in love with Chisa. Munakata could have uhm just married Chisa and not tried to destroy hope academy? Maybe? The only mystery in this story is how any if these idiots got into high school in the first place. And they're supposed to be the most talented people in the world, I guess there's nothing to look forward to anyways. TBH I'm glad Junko did what she did. She was right.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This good because I still don't buy the suicide angle for exactly the reasons here. How did any of those folks kill themselves in such elaborate ways. Naegi was just going to stab himself and be done with it, but someone like seiko pulled together the nagito suicide? I'd like to see the class trial version of these suicides with Naegi continually failing the summary section because it doesn't make sense.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

yeah while everyone was still speculating, I was convinced the suicide theory was impossible because it's loving impossible

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You could answer a lot of it with "It's Danganronpa" and people would swallow it, but really it's because the people who wrote this show are loving hacks who couldn't cobble decent character interactions together let alone a competent murder mystery.

Especially when most of the cast absolutely refused to interact with the murder mystery and had to be forced to deal with it kicking and screaming or dying.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The cast were faced with a murder mystery and decided to just sack the mystery and murder the gently caress out of each other. This show was doomed from the start.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I found out what Munakata got up to after all this

Eye healed up nicely.

when will i be free of P4?

My head hurts from the last episodes. Also, did Namani die or just went into a coma and lose her memories? How did she survive or is that a completely new person? If so how did the AI come out into the real world? I swore it'd be Hajime turning to the side and we'd find out it'd be his imagination or w/e.

I'm so confused.

BTW: I'm glad Komeda finally met his SHSL twin though. I wish they had more time to talk :v:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

She's dead and that was an imagination ghost with exposition. It was weird.

One of the things that bug me about this show is how tragic class 77 is, and how poorly that's presented. They're even more tragic with the reveal that Chiaki was once "a real person" too. This show goes a great way to show you how awful everything was, but it really manages to dull the tragedy surrounding those people to the point that I couldn't care less about them anymore.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I didn't like that they just erased all the deaths in DR2 offscreen. I get that DR2 left open the possibility of them coming back but it feels super cheap to do it that way. Just having Nagito miraculously wake up, he's the only one they really needed anyway

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

She's partly see-through in one of the shots.

And yeah she's very very dead. The anime went to comical lengths to get that across.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
She's in Hajime's head with Izuru now

E: Apparently AI Chiaki was formed from the AI out of everyone's subconscious desire to see their dead classmate again? It's weird

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 1, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I didn't like that they just erased all the deaths in DR2 offscreen. I get that DR2 left open the possibility of them coming back but it feels super cheap to do it that way. Just having Nagito miraculously wake up, he's the only one they really needed anyway

Nagito saved DR3 anime. Just seeing him and Hajime would've been good enough in Future Arc.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm fine with the conclusion. It wasn't great, but it made me feel good in the end. It's nice to have the end to something Danganronpa related that's actually happy, plus it feels rather final and non-ambiguous. Maybe V3 really will be its own story.

I don't even really care about the fanservice aspect of the finale. I liked the whole DR2 cast (minus Teruteru and his sexual urges) and I'm happy to see they survived and were woken up. I mean, it was ambiguous if it would be just the survivors or everyone and they went with everyone. That's ok by me. I do wish we'd seen Makoto have some impact on Mitarai's decision, at the very least coming in to back up Hajime with some Hope logic or something.

There were a lot of missteps and opportunities that weren't seized along the way but in the end, I can't bring myself to get angry at the show. I think my biggest disappointment was that Monokuma basically didn't have any true role in things even though it's the conclusion. I'm also a little disappointed that everyone from DR1 survived where everyone from DR3 except Munakata died. That's a big missed opportunity in my opinion and I'm really surprised that no one on the DR1 cast died for real.

I still like this dumb series. The show wasn't as good as the games but I also don't really see how they could've made this show into a game. I think a DR3 game to conclude would have had a very different story and outcome. I'm looking forward to DRv3 quite a bit. A Western release can't come soon enough.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Alder posted:

My head hurts from the last episodes. Also, did Namani die or just went into a coma and lose her memories? How did she survive or is that a completely new person? If so how did the AI come out into the real world? I swore it'd be Hajime turning to the side and we'd find out it'd be his imagination or w/e.

The AI Chiaki is a different person than the real Chiaki - the AI was created as a blank slate based on everyone's ideas of a support person, and since they all thought that Chiaki would be the best fit for that, she came out identical in appearance, but not personality-wise, to the real Chiaki, who is dead forever.

Until she gets turned into a robot.

At the end of DR2, the AI Chiaki's soul (or something, maybe just the remaining data) fused with Hajime, giving him white hair during the end if the trial. Presumably, he still has that in his head, and that was what he was communicating with. The ghost Chiaki AI wasn't actually there beside him, it was in his head.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
I wish this anime never existed...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

sockpuppetclock posted:

I wish this anime never existed...

The anime brought me Juzo, and I'll always be thankful for that

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm pretty sure they only use Teruteru so much because they want to hear Jun Fukuyama say sexual innuendos.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's sunk in a little more. The fact that they covered up Tengan's actions and what happened in the building feels wrong to me. I feel like lying about FF like that goes against this' series vague definition of hope.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 1, 2016

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm pretty sure they only use Teruteru so much because they want to hear Jun Fukuyama say sexual innuendos.

Or namedrop random american pop stars

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Ignis posted:

Or namedrop random american pop stars

*canadian

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

quote:

Ruruka has absolutely no reason to kill blacksmith, shes absolutely loving insane. Later on blacksmith seems fine with that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

for me, episode 11 is about where this turned from good stupid to bad stupid. enjoyed the DR2 fan service though. Glad To Have Watched.

• Locked thread