Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I think the best AoS candidates to put into a Marvel movie are May and Mack. We've had SHIELD agents in the movies already, so it would be easy to drop them in without any explanation beyond mentioning that they are SHIELD agents. Coulson would take a lot of explaining for movie audiences who don't watch AoS, and any powered characters tend to require some backstory so people don't get confused when they suddenly do crazy poo poo. But May's rear end-kicking and cold stares are pretty self-explanatory, as is a big dude with a shotgun axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spoilers: AoS doesn't get referenced in Luke Cage. They don't even mention the Sokovia accords and how this bulletproof man might be an Inhuman or powered person who needs to get registered. TV really is the redheaded stepchild of the MCU that must never be brought up.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Based on Claire having just left her job in Daredevil season 2 and the December date on the dash cam footage in Luke Cage, it seems it's still set in late last year, which was pre-Civil War. Iron Fist seems like it might be the first series set post-Sokovia.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

spoilers: AoS doesn't get referenced in Luke Cage. They don't even mention the Sokovia accords and how this bulletproof man might be an Inhuman or powered person who needs to get registered. TV really is the redheaded stepchild of the MCU that must never be brought up.
I don't know if that's exactly the case in this...case...and more that the Luke Cage showrunners were just doing their own thing without paying that much attention to AoS or Civil War. They did bring up Hammer Industries a lot and referenced DD and JJ.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know if that's exactly the case in this...case...and more that the Luke Cage showrunners were just doing their own thing without paying that much attention to AoS or Civil War. They did bring up Hammer Industries a lot and referenced DD and JJ.

Seems to be Movies > Netflix > AoS where you can reference things above you but never below.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^ AOS has had several admittedly small references in Daredevil. The biker gang in season 2 DD was initially shown in Season 1 of AOS. Daisy and Matt went to the same orphanage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Netflix series seem to all have taken place post-Avengers 1. None of them have referenced Avengers 2, Cap 2, or even Ant-Man.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 1, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They also love talking about Thor. But yea, It's pretty clear Luke Cage takes place in between Avengers and AoU. There's a dude selling bootleg dvds of the attack.

I honestly think Chloe Bennett has the acting chops to make the transition to movies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Robot Hobo posted:

I think the best AoS candidates to put into a Marvel movie are May and Mack. We've had SHIELD agents in the movies already, so it would be easy to drop them in without any explanation beyond mentioning that they are SHIELD agents. Coulson would take a lot of explaining for movie audiences who don't watch AoS, and any powered characters tend to require some backstory so people don't get confused when they suddenly do crazy poo poo. But May's rear end-kicking and cold stares are pretty self-explanatory, as is a big dude with a shotgun axe.

Naw, Bobbi makes the most sense. She's a character in the comics, SHIELD agent who hits people with sticks fits easier into a Captain America movie than short middle-aged woman who is also world's best puncher or guy with cartoon gun, and she actually looks superheroic

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

It would be amazing if Agents of SHIELD established that in the MCU the Christian God is just a scientifically advanced alien.

How very Hot Topic of you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ming-Na Wen has been acting in movies before Chloe Bennet was even born. She faced off against M Bison when Chloe was only 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzAMmpMra8

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 1, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
She's also Mulan.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Fitz and Simmons may as well be Rando SHIELD Scientists #1-2 in a MCU movie. They wouldn't need much in the way of an explanation.

Daisy could show up in one along with Deathlok and the Netflix Crew for another big fight scene in NY, or in a "call everyone, yes everyone" type of situation.

Coulson would need a lot of setup, but if done right, could be good.

New Director seems like a candidate to show up in a movie, by reason of being the director.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, supposedly Perlmutter was the one pushing for an Inhumans movie because he has a huge bug up his rear end about making comics for characters Marvel doesn't have the rights to. When Disney stepped in and kicked him out of everything to do with the movies, Feige quietly took Inhumans off the schedule.

Perlmutter sucks, no argument there, but I will admit to being a little bummed at the movie getting canned.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

She's also Mulan.

This is her quintessential role to me. Granted, Mulan is one of my top ten favorite movies, so she gets a lot of cred in my eyes just based on that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
She was also in Joy Luck Club. She has a pretty impressive career, all things considered.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Error 404 posted:

Perlmutter sucks, no argument there, but I will admit to being a little bummed at the movie getting canned.

As much as I want it to happen, the original/royal family Inhumans backstory is just a bit too dark and weird to make it worth the risk. People said that GotG was a risk too, but that was wacky, lonely antiheroes and such in space. The most interesting aspects of the Inhumans are also the reason they don't work on screen; willfully segregated, often really weird looking, eugenics driven living weapons who keep an entire species in slavery to make sure their technocastle stays working. Also a living door and a teleporting dog. Goddamn Jack Kirby is loving cool.

Also, aside from potentially making some money, what would an Inhumans movie bring to the MCU? What Inhumans story is worth making into a $150 million movie? War of Kings and Realm of Kings are are great, but there's a lot of stories that can be done first without introducing 8+ new characters and a lot of world building.

I feel like the biggest loss is we won't see a Vin Diesel Black Bolt now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I thought Inhumans movie was part of the whole "gently caress Fox" thing where they were going to rebrand mutants as Inhumans across MCU and the comics so there might not actually be much about the original comic Inhumans.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bloodychill posted:

I thought Inhumans movie was part of the whole "gently caress Fox" thing where they were going to rebrand mutants as Inhumans across MCU and the comics so there might not actually be much about the original comic Inhumans.

This was my hope as well. gently caress the royal family I basically just want MCU X-Men.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Error 404 posted:

This was my hope as well. gently caress the royal family I basically just want MCU X-Men.

Now that its been around for the better part of a decade now, I think that X-men and the MCU are better off as their own separate things. you'd have to address why Thor; who can control storms and lightning is accepted and considered a sex symbol by the world, and have to explain why Storm; who has more or less the same powers but is an attractive black woman, is feared and hated. Bigots are dumb and don't really give a poo poo about technicalities or genetics. They would just lump anyone with superpowers into the same category.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

David D. Davidson posted:

Now that its been around for the better part of a decade now, I think that X-men and the MCU are better off as their own separate things.
I've always thought that making Mutants/Xmen off-limits to the MCU is probably a huge part of why it succeeded. The Avengers got to be individuals first, most of them with their own movies, and that's how they drew audiences in and got them to care about each one before bundling them together. That wouldn't happen with Xmen, it's got to be the team right away... unless you think a Scott Summers movie would have anyone showing up.

Also, they're two completely different kinds of worlds. The MCU movies are all about a world where this weird superhero poo poo just started happening, and they're having to adjust to it. Some people still don't even believe half of it is real. Most people love the Avengers, because they're new and fascinating. Steve Rogers is a little bit of an exception, but how much did most people really know about him back in the 40s aside from his goofy USO tour schtick?

The Xmen is a world where Mutants are a group that is hated and feared, and it's been that way for a while. They're an analog for racial discrimination, or gay rights, or whatever group is being treated as the "other" at the time the stories are written. Obviously people know Mutants are real, because otherwise that whole analogy falls apart.

In the comics, it's kind of easy to just let that dissonance get pushed aside or ignored. In the movies, it'd be weird to see that you've got Mutants who are hated, but functionally similar enhanced humans who are adored, and try to even explain how the average person in that universe could know the difference or care.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I'd say the main difference with mutants that the common person knows and why it has worked well in the last couple decades as an analog to the struggles of the gay community is that anybody's child can be born a mutant and their powers aren't always conducive to being a hero or villain. It's more of a human-species-wide issue.

That said, it would be weird to just stuff it all into the MCU as is. Stuffing the cosmic and magic stuff works a lot better. Even the way they brought in Inhumans worked well enough.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bloodychill posted:

That's... not how these things work. If the lawyers have determined that Fox has the rights to Character Y based on his/her historic association with the X-Men (or FF) property, they retain the rights regardless of what Marvel does with the character in the comics going forward.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This could lead to possible multiverse stuff years down the road.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Barry Convex posted:

That's... not how these things work. If the lawyers have determined that Fox has the rights to Character Y based on his/her historic association with the X-Men (or FF) property, they retain the rights regardless of what Marvel does with the character in the comics going forward.

Of course they retain the rights but the onus of making the "X-Men starring Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Storm, et al" interesting and tie across product lines is left entirely on Fox if Marvel drops those characters in comics or simply replaces them with new versions or ones Fox doesn't own rights to... which they've actually started doing. Whether they're successful or not in the end remains to be seen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No they haven't. There's now 2 different versions of many of those characters active, in fact.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

No they haven't. There's now 2 different versions of many of those characters active, in fact.

Isn't young Iceman gay but old Iceman is straight?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The older one is gay too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel killed off one Wolverine and replaced him with two different Wolverines, and both of them might be in next year's Wolverine movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One is Old Man Logan, the other is Wolverine, and she's the superior Wolverine.

Thing is, if Marvel did get the rights to X-men back, I'd really hope they didn't just give us another Xavier with Scott, Jean, Bobby, Hank and ugh, Warren. There's a zillion x-men out there to choose from, but they keep going back to the same well over and over. You know, its not unlike how DC keeps going back to the Miller well, Fox keeps going back to the Claremont years, but ignoring what people liked about those stories.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

spoilers: AoS doesn't get referenced in Luke Cage. They don't even mention the Sokovia accords and how this bulletproof man might be an Inhuman or powered person who needs to get registered. TV really is the redheaded stepchild of the entire film industry that must never be brought up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

twistedmentat posted:

One is Old Man Logan, the other is Wolverine, and she's the superior Wolverine.

Thing is, if Marvel did get the rights to X-men back, I'd really hope they didn't just give us another Xavier with Scott, Jean, Bobby, Hank and ugh, Warren. There's a zillion x-men out there to choose from, but they keep going back to the same well over and over. You know, its not unlike how DC keeps going back to the Miller well, Fox keeps going back to the Claremont years, but ignoring what people liked about those stories.

To be fair, a lot of people's favorite X-Men are different variant of the same characters. That said, the main problem with the X-Men movies hasn't been the character choice so much as it's been the writing. A good writer could take Dazzler or Havok or Jubilee and make a good story about them. A bad writer looks at the myriad Wolverine stories and writes... well, what we've gotten.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Guy Goodbody posted:

Naw, Bobbi makes the most sense. She's a character in the comics, SHIELD agent who hits people with sticks fits easier into a Captain America movie than short middle-aged woman who is also world's best puncher or guy with cartoon gun, and she actually looks superheroic

And she's written off TV so there's a built-in disconnect.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Where's Nick Fury. Did Sam Jackson quit?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

try the new taco place posted:

He does a million movies a year.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bloodychill posted:

To be fair, a lot of people's favorite X-Men are different variant of the same characters. That said, the main problem with the X-Men movies hasn't been the character choice so much as it's been the writing. A good writer could take Dazzler or Havok or Jubilee and make a good story about them. A bad writer looks at the myriad Wolverine stories and writes... well, what we've gotten.

They lack the team interactions, the quiet moments where we see the friendships that are so important in X-men in favor of more and more action scenes.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

try the new taco place posted:

A year or so back he revealed he wouldn't be in Civil War but was hoping to extend his Marvel contract. Right now they seem to be saving his remaining contract for the last two Avengers movies.

I also imagine he's more difficult to schedule a shoot around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I would not be surprised when Thanos sends his army of goons to earth, we'll get some a scene showing Fury with some giant Steranko like gun shooting the poo poo out of them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Only if he's surfing on a jetcycle.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I still wish FOX would pull the stick out of their rear end and at least make an agreement with Disney to allow Deadpool to randomly reference the MCU.

(crashed helicarrier doesn't count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I still wish FOX would pull the stick out of their rear end and at least make an agreement with Disney to allow Deadpool to randomly reference the MCU.

(crashed helicarrier doesn't count)

Inthink that falls under the parody clause.

• Locked thread