Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
All in all loving how they're presenting all this but I hope we get more than a quick splash of the Harlem Hellfighters in the intro. I was really hoping they'd get an entire chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I was sitting there thinking that its cool the player is no longer a super hero, but I was disappointed the germans were still faceless non english speaking baddies every war game has. Until the end, that was really cool.

If they ever do a WW2 game again, a cool and unique way of doing it would be a similar perspective for the nazi soldiers. The average german soldier had nothing at all to do with the commands from the leadership, and if they kept the same tone as here, but from the german footsoldier perspective, I think that could be a really interesting way to add depth to the villains, and also be a new take on a period with so much sameyness. The concept might work better as a movie though.

I'm always disappointed when the big bads are just hordes, especially when they are trying to highlight the humanity of the soldiers.

E: An example of what I mean is stuff like that scene in Enemy at the Gates, where Vasily/the soviets are forced to charge the German line, and the Soviet leaders shoot their own men when they eventually fail and try to retreat. Vasily is the hero of the movie and the Red Army, but the Red Army is portrayed very negatively and are very clearly secondary villains of the movie.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 2, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Uhhh yikes.

But I do hope this is success and leads to a new ww2 battlefield (even though I'm really looking forward to this!)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

the germans were still faceless non english speaking baddies every war game has

What?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SeanBeansShako posted:

In real life a handful of German Pioneers pretty much the biggest more modern of those fortresses by just slipping through a window and opening the back door. They pretty much walked through the fortress rounding up some very confused French soldiers.

Granted it was only held by 400 dudes and almost all the guns had been removed that is still pretty hilarious.

What wasn't hilarious was the brutal battles and campaign that followed that has more or less turned what remains into a fortress into a grisly charnel house of bones.

It was because the one german pioneer got knocked through a hole in the wall or window and his friends found him and then the basicaly captured a ton of french dudes and the fort.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Didn't Ludendorff force the surrender of one of the Liege forts by literally driving up to it and knocking on the front door?

yeah, he had been there on holiday years before so he decided to just knock on the door and say "surrender we have the place surrounded" and because it was a skeleton crew manning the fort the did. I always liked Ludendorff for his various ballsy actions UNTIL you learn he invented the "stabbed in the back by the commie jews" myth and helped hitler with his putche.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I was sitting there thinking that its cool the player is no longer a super hero, but I was disappointed the germans were still faceless non english speaking baddies every war game has. Until the end, that was really cool.

If they ever do a WW2 game again, a cool and unique way of doing it would be a similar perspective for the nazi soldiers. The average german soldier had nothing at all to do with the commands from the leadership, and if they kept the same tone as here, but from the german footsoldier perspective, I think that could be a really interesting way to add depth to the villains, and also be a new take on a period with so much sameyness. The concept might work better as a movie though.

I'm always disappointed when the big bads are just hordes, especially when they are trying to highlight the humanity of the soldiers.

E: An example of what I mean is stuff like that scene in Enemy at the Gates, where Vasily/the soviets are forced to charge the German line, and the Soviet leaders shoot their own men when they eventually fail and try to retreat. Vasily is the hero of the movie and the Red Army, but the Red Army is portrayed very negatively and are very clearly secondary villains of the movie.

"clean wermacht" is a myth. sure not even soldier was some war crimes commiting shithead. but the wermacht committed a ton of massacres on both fronts. but yeah, adding depth to baddies is good. the new wolfenstien games did a great job at that.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeah this wish for a AAA FPS with a German WWII perspective needs to be buried, because it'll never happen. Not as long as there are allied veterans alive.

Really cool gameplay I'd say. There's a bunch of nice details, like the German soldier who is curled up and sobbing as the tanks go by.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't know whats more sad about the names, they might actually have been real men or the ages.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Haha that youtuber starting to speak after that dramatic introduction is such a wet blanket for the mood "Hello I'm xfactor please like subscribe and comment below :smuggo:"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't know whats more sad about the names, they might actually have been real men or the ages.

I've visited the Messine Gate twice, and taken a whole bunch of pictures there. Sometimes I pick a name at random when I start a new pilot in Wings Over Flanders Fields.

I don't know if it's untactful of me, it certainly isn't meant like it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

"clean wermacht" is a myth. sure not even soldier was some war crimes commiting shithead. but the wermacht committed a ton of massacres on both fronts. but yeah, adding depth to baddies is good. the new wolfenstien games did a great job at that.

Thatd not what I meant, more like the showing the perspective of the average soldiers life, being forced to commit attrocoties or be chucked in the concentration camps. Im not sure how they could do it and have it be good, but faceless hordes are poo poo. Hopefully bf1 has lots of scenes like those 2 soldiers at the end of the 1st mission preview

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Rolling Scissors posted:

Haha that youtuber starting to speak after that dramatic introduction is such a wet blanket for the mood "Hello I'm xfactor please like subscribe and comment below :smuggo:"

That made me so loving angry. I almost subscribed just to unsubscribe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Really cool gameplay I'd say. There's a bunch of nice details, like the German soldier who is curled up and sobbing as the tanks go by.

that and all the shell shocked soldiers wandering about. that and soldiers running for their lives.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlD-SSHF4s

Almost a throwback to "hotswapping" from BF2:MC
That one German soldier at 8:47 just blankly standing in place with his weapon held loosely at his side. :smith:

Assuming that isn't just some fuckup in the AI

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Not gonna lie, I wish more than just the first mission was a hotswapping meatgrinder.
Just enormous, wide-open battlefields. Oh, you died? Here, have another vessel body.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I wish the story mode was Bad Company Zero and you played as the legionnaire stealing gold from the various countries during WW1.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Who's saying it isn't elements of both exactly?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

That one German soldier at 8:47 just blankly standing in place with his weapon held loosely at his side. :smith:

He's slowly wandering backward, and that's not what a default pose would look like at all. It's definitely intentional. That detail really stood out.

The game looks really goddamn unpleasant to play, but I'd rather they present it this way than glorify it the way too many WWII shooters started to with that war.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

yeah that was shell shocked dude, also probably inhaled gas.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Why the gently caress am I excited for the singleplayer campaign of a Battlefield game?

What friggin bizarro universe did I step into?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Digirat posted:

He's slowly wandering backward, and that's not what a default pose would look like at all. It's definitely intentional. That detail really stood out.

The game looks really goddamn unpleasant to play, but I'd rather they present it this way than glorify it the way too many WWII shooters started to with that war.

Oh god I want to play this. Oh god, I want to enjoy this horror.

Yeah, they might have done something great.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, I have to hand it to them, that single player almost looks worthwhile to play.

I don't understand why they did the stupid "flamethrowers explode when you shoot them" thing though.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I still have two worries. One is these individual episodes l will turn out to be too short and that video represents a very significant chuck of Storm of Steel.

The other is that with no penalties for dying, it's gonna get turned into a hosed up joke with a bunch of professional streamer types clogging up YouTube with stupid challenge videos, like grenade only runs or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Monocled Falcon posted:

I still have two worries. One is these individual episodes l will turn out to be too short and that video represents a very significant chuck of Storm of Steel.

The other is that with no penalties for dying, it's gonna get turned into a hosed up joke with a bunch of professional streamer types clogging up YouTube with stupid challenge videos, like grenade only runs or something.

its just the prologue apperently and the switching thing is only the prologue.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its just the prologue apperently and the switching thing is only the prologue.

Plus dumb rear end gamer nerds will be doing dumb rear end gamer nerd stuff without caring or missing the whole point of the game will happen anyway because well, humanity. They are young, they'll learn.

Eventually.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im super excited about the campaign after watching that

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's still going to be poo poo. Probably some cool cutscenes but the gameplay will not be good and you'll be sick of it by the end of the second level.

Not that it matters but yeah do not let single player in any way influence your decision to buy a non-BC BF game lol.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the campaign is a bonus on top of the multiplayer, but it still looks good

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I mean it's at least a big improvement from the scripted corridor shooting of the past, based on the structure they've talked about.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Let's hope the campaign with all its carefully made setpieces won't have the same problem as MP where terrain traversal is a sad affair afflicting infantry and vehicles alike.

They're never fixing vaulting/getting stuck on a pebble.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Delacroix posted:

Let's hope the campaign with all its carefully made setpieces won't have the same problem as MP where terrain traversal is a sad affair afflicting infantry and vehicles alike.

They're never fixing vaulting/getting stuck on a pebble.

I like to think soldiers of the Battlefield universe have really really hosed up legs, due to my memories of falling from minor heights in 1942.

Why are their legs hosed up? some assbutt is always taking the one vehicle for himself.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The world of Battlefield has insanely strong gravity, hence the crazy bullet drop.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I have a flammenwerfer und it werfs flamme at die badenguysen.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Pvt.Scott posted:

I have a flammenwerfer und it werfs flamme at die badenguysen.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

being forced to commit attrocoties or be chucked in the concentration camps.

:pwn:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlD-SSHF4s

Almost a throwback to "hotswapping" from BF2:MC

I'm the visible bullets still in the magazine clip when the soldier runs out of ammo at 3:47

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The one thing I really don't like is how they decided to show this on anything that wasn't a PC. Like....seriously.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

i want to play this game

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
People wanting a campaign about WWII German Totally-Not-Nazis soldiers can get hosed, but a WWI German campaign would probably be one of the amazing feats of video game artistry.

IMO, one of the most important, but overlooked factors of why the Second World War happened is that a lot of German soldiers ended the war thinking of it as a relatively positive experience. German soldiers had suffered, yes but also kicked a serious amount of rear end, and came really close to getting what they wanted.

I fee it could be framed as eerily similar to the perspective of a FPS protagonist in a scripted defensive sequences. One of the ones where the scripting doesn't quite work and the player never feels truly in danger or that falling back would help so the game just keeps yelling at you until something blows up and physically spins you around. The Germans were at last checkpoint, there was this massive fresh wave of troops attacking, but the eastern front had been won, they still held plenty of French soil and the new guys weren't that much better. But then suddenly the machine gun just runs out of ammo and they're all told to surrender and wander back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Monocled Falcon posted:

IMO, one of the most important, but overlooked factors of why the Second World War happened is that a lot of German soldiers ended the war thinking of it as a relatively positive experience. German soldiers had suffered, yes but also kicked a serious amount of rear end, and came really close to getting what they wanted.

Uhh...I thought it was because the Germans got unfairly hosed at the Treaty of Versailles and it created huge economic hardships and lingering resentment that was easy to be preyed upon by extremists (Hitler). I'm not a historian, but that's the vibe I got from the little I know.