Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

Evolution of Civ VI music from ancient to modern era. This is really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFlxSgOEZrk

drat, this is really cool.

So far with everything I'm seeing about civ vi looks pretty good, there are some troubling issues, but it doesn't look like anything that can't be fixed in an expansion :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol it takes the modern era to invent percussion

still, it owns, we have both the over-era theme changes and the per-civ themes

i mean, civ4 had a per-civ theme, but it was the one short clip, but you only ever heard your opponent's music, never your own

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

fixed in an expansion :shepspends:

If I buy the Civ6 collector's edition (which says it includes "4 DLC packs with new leaders etc.") do we think this would also include major future Civ6 expansions, like Civ5 BTS / BNW ?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Jolarix posted:

If I buy the Civ6 collector's edition (which says it includes "4 DLC packs with new leaders etc.") do we think this would also include major future Civ6 expansions, like Civ5 BTS / BNW ?

My guess is 2 map packs and 2 civs. It is valued at $20 and civ 5 had civs for $10 each on release iirc

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Phobophilia posted:

lol it takes the modern era to invent percussion

still, it owns, we have both the over-era theme changes and the per-civ themes

i mean, civ4 had a per-civ theme, but it was the one short clip, but you only ever heard your opponent's music, never your own

You heard your own music if you zoomed way in while in your own borders, I think?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Poil posted:

Based on what I've seen so far tech still seems a bit too fast and production is slow as hell. :(

From what I've seen, it's just that YouTubers are still in Civ V mode, where science is everything and you have to build a library RIGHT NOW instead of boosting your economy

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

From what I've seen, it's just that YouTubers are still in Civ V mode, where science is everything and you have to build a library RIGHT NOW instead of boosting your economy

Why shouldn't I believe that?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jolarix posted:

It definitely won't include any expansions. It's not a season pass and Firaxis expansions are too meaty to be included in that price.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Why shouldn't I believe that?

Because culture is way more powerful and important than it was in previous games. Faith too. Also there seems to be less snowballing possible with just better tech.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

sarmhan posted:

Because culture is way more powerful and important than it was in previous games. Faith too. Also there seems to be less snowballing possible with just better tech.

... I think you're misunderstanding him. He's implying that he does believe the streamers are trying to apply Civ5 science-is-everything methodology to Civ6 when he asks why he shouldn't believe thusly.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yes? I'm saying why he shouldn't believe that science is the #1 important thing that it was in Civ 5, not that streamers aren't currently following that logic.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

sarmhan posted:

Yes? I'm saying why he shouldn't believe that science is the #1 important thing that it was in Civ 5, not that streamers aren't currently following that logic.

... because he's responding to a post that talks about streamers, perhaps?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is it just me or does the US theme sounds suspiciously similar to The Wearing of the Green

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm kind of annoyed that rulers have inapplicable "historical" lines. Both Spain and England go on about being the King/Queen of various places which don't exist ingame, Spain talks about following the true faith before any religion has been founded, Spain also talks about the might of their Armada crushing you when 1) They have no navy, and 2) have just been invaded by a large land army. They sound delusional.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Darkrenown posted:

I'm kind of annoyed that rulers have inapplicable "historical" lines. Both Spain and England go on about being the King/Queen of various places which don't exist ingame, Spain talks about following the true faith before any religion has been founded, Spain also talks about the might of their Armada crushing you when 1) They have no navy, and 2) have just been invaded by a large land army. They sound delusional.

We're talking about a game series wherein the the world is inhabited by monolithic "civilisations" led by immortal god-persons constructed entirely out of memes.

Civ's got a lot going for it, but it couldn't find "verisimilitude" with both hands, a map, a local guide and two llamas.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
It seems when 4x games try to go with characters that aren't insane caricatures of their historical personalities you can end up with the situation like in Beyond Earth where every ruler is indistinguishable.

SMAC seemed to do pretty well making the rulers not totally insane caricatures but it was also going for a different vibe then the uplifting and slightly comedic tone of Civ VI.

Also SMAC seems to have been designed by philosopher kings so it probably doesn't fit the norm of game design.

Now what would be really cool is if a 4x game just did away with the whole great person approach to history and just went with factions that represent distinct trends of their cultures throughout time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

But don't worry, Firaxis are famed for their regular patching and dedication to game balance.
You say that ironically but I just spent the day attempting to play Heroes of Might and Magic 7 hotseat with a friend and there is far far worse out there. So many bugs and the balance makes Civ5 look like chess. :smith:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

Furthermore, where did Philip get that sword? Spain hasn't even discovered bronze working!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I know for a FACT that the United States hadn't invented banjos in 4000 BC. Took them centuries to invent that banjo.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

wait a minute american didn't even EXIST in 4000 BC

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Autonomous Monster posted:

We're talking about a game series wherein the the world is inhabited by monolithic "civilisations" led by immortal god-persons constructed entirely out of memes.

Civ's got a lot going for it, but it couldn't find "verisimilitude" with both hands, a map, a local guide and two llamas.

Care for some salad? I made it myself

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

fleshy echidna posted:

SMAC seemed to do pretty well making the rulers not totally insane caricatures but it was also going for a different vibe then the uplifting and slightly comedic tone of Civ VI.

SMAC's entire thing is that the rulers are insane caricatures, except of philosophical/ethical ideals rather than historical personalities and nations

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

SMAC's entire thing is that the rulers are insane caricatures, except of philosophical/ethical ideals rather than historical personalities and nations

So kind of like modern politicians? No wonder they feel like real people!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gorelab posted:

The modern Civ 4 music basically made it feel like the world was just in some sort of hellwar to me.

It was awesome. Felt appropriate for a world poised on either achieving the stars or nuking itself into oblivion.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
I think it would be neat if each district had a name for when you mouse over them, as a way of showcasing the more "minor" settlements of civs. Like the harbor of Athens would be Piraeus, or the entertainment complex of Los Angeles might be Burbank.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Would give the guy researching Scythia a fun time

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bouquet posted:

So kind of like modern politicians? No wonder they feel like real people!

Nah, they're badly written and basically some of the most obvious author mouthpieces there are.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

sarmhan posted:

I don't see how there is less snowballing possible.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Is it just me or does the US theme sounds suspiciously similar to The Wearing of the Green

Guess you'll have to take that up with Stephen Foster in 1854. It's certainly possible he drew inspiration from it.

This looks fun.

If you understand Russian, apparently this guy found out about Russia's Civ VI bonuses early and discusses them (he's playing as Greece in the video).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMR-Zox9iEE

Take it with a grain of salt, but apparently we're looking at something like:

Russia's UA: Mother Russia- Extra land when settling city, production and faith from tundra tiles.
Peter the Great's UA: Great Embassy- +1 science from a trade route to a civ for every 3 techs that they have which Russia doesn't, +1 culture for every 3 civics.
Unique Unit: Cossack (with something like +5 strength in home territory?)
Unique Building: Lavra (does something like grabs extra tiles for a city whenever you use a Great Person's ability in the city the Lavra belongs to)

Assuming it's all true, I kind of feel like there has to be something more to Peter, like how Hojo got the half-price districts added to his ability later.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

I think it would be neat if each district had a name for when you mouse over them, as a way of showcasing the more "minor" settlements of civs. Like the harbor of Athens would be Piraeus, or the entertainment complex of Los Angeles might be Burbank.

This would work except I keep changing my city's names, and then you have stuff like Honolulu or Lahaina that don't actually have entertainment complexes because they're just cultural, scientific, industrial, and agricultural sinkholes that used to be marshes but turned into deserts after some chucklefucks tried to drain them

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Nah, they're badly written and basically some of the most obvious author mouthpieces there are.

...so basically modern politicians.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panzeh posted:

Man, where were you back when I was reading the Civ:BE thread? The constant talk about SMAC and complaints that the game wasn't another SMAC, well before the game was even out, made it insufferable and led to me eventually giving up on reading it entirely (leading to me missing the discovery of the actual issues the game had). Someone going "guys, SMAC wasn't that great" would have made it so much more bearable.

Civ VI is looking pretty good, though. What are some good deals for getting it? Need to save money so if I do decide to get it now I could use any discount available.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hogama posted:

Guess you'll have to take that up with Stephen Foster in 1854. It's certainly possible he drew inspiration from it.

This looks fun.

The return of Sid Meier's Covert Action

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
what was bad about smac?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Roland Jones posted:

Man, where were you back when I was reading the Civ:BE thread? The constant talk about SMAC and complaints that the game wasn't another SMAC, well before the game was even out, made it insufferable and led to me eventually giving up on reading it entirely (leading to me missing the discovery of the actual issues the game had). Someone going "guys, SMAC wasn't that great" would have made it so much more bearable.

Civ VI is looking pretty good, though. What are some good deals for getting it? Need to save money so if I do decide to get it now I could use any discount available.

GMG and Bundlestars both have it discounted. Both are fairly reputable (GMG moreso).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

StashAugustine posted:

could be, I was watching Enter Elysium's England game and their theme takes bits from Greensleeves.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Banana Man posted:

what was bad about smac?

I didn't age particularly well but also it's just one of those things people form Strong Opinions about so it can get kind of irritating if you're not on board.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Anybody have any fun challenges or alternate methods of play? I just did a cultural victory* without making great works and that was pretty fun.

*started in atomic era

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't see how there is less snowballing possible.
Less snowballing possible through just technology at the expense of everything else, I mean. Civ is obviously still a very snowbally game and always will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Hogama posted:

Russia's UA: Mother Russia- Extra land when settling city, production and faith from tundra tiles.
Peter the Great's UA: Great Embassy- +1 science from a trade route to a civ for every 3 techs that they have which Russia doesn't, +1 culture for every 3 civics.
Unique Unit: Cossack (with something like +5 strength in home territory?)
Unique Building: Lavra (does something like grabs extra tiles for a city whenever you use a Great Person's ability in the city the Lavra belongs to)

Assuming it's all true, I kind of feel like there has to be something more to Peter, like how Hojo got the half-price districts added to his ability later.
Sounds like Peter will be able to do some rubber-banding. That and the land-grabbing powers seem to push for an aggressive, expansive play-style early on and then leveraging Pete's UA to get caught up faster.
Definitely sounds a bit underpowered though, from that description.