Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

FatCow posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone praise Dorman. My experience is a giant pile of cheap poo poo that isn't 1/2 as good as the OEM parts it replaced.

I like the Dorman hubs for the Miata that come in one of 3 lug hole sizes. It's a surprise every time you open the box!

I bought a transmission pan from Dorman for cheap for the wagon that has a drain plug. Fit is just like stock, capacity is stock, and so far no leaks. I always wondered why GM never included a drain plug. It'll be nice not making an enormous mess next time I service the transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Dorman makes decent hobbyist consumer grade parts. It's not Moog or made in USA but most of the time it will get the job done and like Moog they look for ways to improve the design of products. You're going to get bad parts no matter where you get them - as a parts guy, take my word for it :v:

Anyway, enough of that. I have NEWS

The differential mounting bushings were the root cause of the noises I was hearing. What was making the noise is kind of scary. The pinion (and thus the driveshaft) were lifting up several INCHES and hitting the parking brake equalizer on the bottom of the body. The rear of the differential is solid mounted to the 1/2" thick billet mustache bar through 2 studs on the rear differential cover. I cannot believe that those parts would flex as much as they did. I'm sure if I attempted WOT I would have broken something, either the diff cover, mustache bar, or the mounts for it.

Anyway, I'm a little miffed that I missed those bushings but I'm glad their catastrophic demise didn't seem to cause any other issues. I had some energy suspension urethane bushings shipped in, since literally every other bushing on the car has been replaced with such. Went for a little test drive down my street and no more noises! Woohoo!

Side note, air chisel was worth every penny to get the old bushing shells out. Screw doing that any other way.

I've got a few minor things to button up and I can start driving around on the street for some real testing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's awesome that you have so much restraint. I would have been an impatient little monkey and stomped it and probably tore the rear end out.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Sorry I haven't been posting guys, I was busy

:siren:FINISHING MY CAR:siren:
:getin:

We were supposed to be on vacation this week but we ended up cancelling our trip. Which gave me lots of time to finish the car.

Installed a headunit
Installed speakers
Cleaned up the wiring around the column
Spent an ENTIRE DAY getting the turn signals to work
Installed the rest of the interior trim
Made access panel cover for fuel pump
Got windows tinted
Installed front valence
Installed front bumper
Washed car
DROVE CAR

I've put about 100 miles on it so far. There are some things that I need to mess with in the tune and I'm still not quite happy with the shifter but both of those are pretty minor and don't impede me from driving around and getting some miles on the car.
My primary goal for finishing this week was because of a car show today, which I was able to make it to. We had over 60 cars enter, and I got a top 10 trophy. I was hoping for best import but I was snuffed by a tube chassis drag 'Solara'. It was powered by a 2JZ with the largest turbo I think I've ever seen short of a dump truck, so I guess it was technically a Toyota still.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why is the award a green shoe?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I can't get over how clean that engine swap is. This is my dream car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

VelociBacon posted:

I can't get over how clean that engine swap is. This is my dream car.

Outside of the CAI it looks like the car came with that engine from the factory. This new garage has made FuzzKill level up to some sort of engine swap grand wizard.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why is the award a green shoe?

It was a benefit car show for JDRF, they use the sneakers on some of their fundraising.

Thanks for the compliments guys

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
WOW, I'm a couple days behind. Holy poo poo, looks amazing, great work!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
This is motivation material.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Cross your fingers for no storm damage!

Have the Z, Genesis, Fiesta, my wifes car and my mothers car in the shop. The second lift won't go high enough to drive another car under it because I need to get it repaired so my truck is going to rough it outside next to the house.

We don't normally get flooding on our street too bad, but we'll see. The yard usually floods and surrounding roads do but our road and house are a little higher. Most canals and local ponds (including ours) are much higher than usual for this time of year.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

FuzzKill posted:

Cross your fingers for no storm damage!

Have the Z, Genesis, Fiesta, my wifes car and my mothers car in the shop. The second lift won't go high enough to drive another car under it because I need to get it repaired so my truck is going to rough it outside next to the house.

We don't normally get flooding on our street too bad, but we'll see. The yard usually floods and surrounding roads do but our road and house are a little higher. Most canals and local ponds (including ours) are much higher than usual for this time of year.

Good luck and stay safe!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Fuzz did you come out of Matthew ok? You still awesome down there in FL?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
We were overly prepared for the worst but the last little track shift to the North spared pretty much all of Palm Beach County. Having been through a few I don't think we got anything worse than tropical storm conditions here so it was pretty much a non-event.

We did lose power for about 12 hours though, so rebuilding the carb on the generator turned out to be a good idea. It's wired into the breaker panel and runs the entire house minus the 220V stuff (AC, water heater, dryer, stove). Theoretically it has enough output to run the AC but I wasn't about to go start rewiring panels last minute.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Glad y'all made it through. It gave us plenty enough wind to have a blast sailing on Saturday in Atlanta.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fuzz I hope you don't live too close to any major assholes

http://jalopnik.com/awful-neighbors...dium=socialflow

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rhyno posted:

god gently caress those people to death.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

It's funny, I immediately assumed Florida. Not this time!

Guy's daughter put up a gofundme thing, it's blowing up.

https://www.gofundme.com/neighbors-vs-williams-milton-de-2tvbfck

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Yeah I saw that story and it's quite maddening.

I don't know if all my neighbors care, but the ones I know do not care. Nonetheless I always try and be respectful, usually make sure the doors are closed if I'm impacting after dark.

In other news, I found an absolute steal on a T56. Original plan was to try and fix the shifter issues in the Z, and if they cannot be fixed to put in the T56 and sell the TKO600. Backup plan was to use T56 for a customer swap that I will be working on shortly. Either way, was too good of a deal to pass up.

After kicking it around in my head I decided to just put it in the Z. I would have used a T56 originally if I could have found one for this price. Originally I didn't want to shell out 2k, the car doesn't realllllly need a 6 speed, and it weighs more than a 5 speed. But now that I have one, it puts the shifter in the exact spot, and it will have a gangster 0.50 OD ratio for cruising.

Will need to either purchase or make my own transmission crossmember/mount, new clutch line, and possibly a different clutch/flywheel. I think that part is the same though.
Going to sell the TKO600 setup, should be able to come out ahead in the deal once it's all sold.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I left the house at 9am to go get the T56 and got back home at 5pm. Quite a drive! I did manage to get the best fuel economy I have ever gotten with the Genesis, 26mpg. Probably could have done better if I didn't overtake so many people (single lane rural highways most of the trip). I normally average 23-24mpg.

And as if driving all day wasn't tiring enough, I dropped the tranny out of the Z last night to make some comparisons between the two.

When the guy shortened my driveshaft he screwed up the measurement and made it too short, it didn't have a lot of engagement on the slip yoke before. The T56 is longer but not so long that I will need to get it shortened again, which is good. Will just need to change the slip yoke.
The transmission mounting location is way off from the TKO, which was way off from the factory Z location. I adapted the Z crossmember to work for the TKO but that won't fly for the T56.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I am going to keep the same clutch but I upgraded to a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. I'm hoping between the light weight of the Z and the bottom end torque from the motor it doesn't make the clutch too much of a hassle. Never had a car with an aluminum flywheel before. I also purchased a Pro-5.0 shifter for the T56, I had one before on my T-5 and I absolutely loved that shifter.

Anyway, the T56 is mounted in place, just waiting on the CX mount to arrive. Then I need to have a new clutch line made and I should be all set to be on the road again.

Driveshaft worked out perfect, if anything it's about 1/2" too long now but since it's IRS there aren''t any worries about the about the yoke bottoming out in the tranny like you would have on a live axle setup.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are those exhaust gas temp probes or dual oxygen probes? I've never seen paired O2 probes before but I guess it would make sense for the v8 ECU since it would normally be in a car with dual exhaust?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

VelociBacon posted:

Are those exhaust gas temp probes or dual oxygen probes? I've never seen paired O2 probes before but I guess it would make sense for the v8 ECU since it would normally be in a car with dual exhaust?

O2's, only running the ''upstream' sensors since I have no cats and the downstream sensors aren't used for fueling purposes. Each o2 bank feeds back to each injector bank. Most V engines are like this, along with some I6 and even a few I4 engines are multi-bank. Most (older) GM V6's run off of 1 bank though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

FuzzKill posted:

O2's, only running the ''upstream' sensors since I have no cats and the downstream sensors aren't used for fueling purposes. Each o2 bank feeds back to each injector bank. Most V engines are like this, along with some I6 and even a few I4 engines are multi-bank. Most (older) GM V6's run off of 1 bank though.

Correct. Most newer I6 BMW engines have 2 banks.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Wrar posted:

Correct. Most newer I6 BMW engines have 2 banks.

Hell, everything newer than M50 has 2 banks.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Driving home from work today and after going through a roundabout I noticed the car was hesitating. Seemed to clear up after a minute so I figured maybe my tank baffling wasn't working as planned (I thought I still had about 1/2 tank). This was about 3 miles from home.

Each turn thereafter got worse, by the time I turned onto the main street closest to my house, it was all she could do to keep a steady speed. I put the clutch in about 300 feet from my driveway and she puttered out and wouldn't restart. I rolled into my driveway and then limped it into the garage on the starter. By this time I realized I was probably completely out of gas. I have a fuel gauge but I hadn't calibrated it because I wasn't getting a reading from the sending unit. I figured now would be as good a time as any to mess around with it since the tank would be empty.

I was quite surprised when I pulled the pump, as the tank was literally dry. There was absolutely no fuel left in the tank itself, and only a few drops in the pump bucket. My modified length pump unit is doing its job! Now when the gauge says E I will know it's not messing around - I calibrated my gauge after I fixed the sending unit so hopefully this won't happen again.

ALSO

I got an amazing deal on a LSA blower setup that won't fit in the Datsun. That's OK because I was going to put it on the Colorado. Would just need to buy the LSA accessory drive kit. I miss my superchargers. I have decided to supercharge the Datsun first and will supercharge the truck again with the LSA setup sometime next year. Datsun setup might make it before Christmas, need to see what pans out. Will either be a used Magnacharger setup (sexy) or an Edelbrock E-force setup. Very limited as far as hood space is concerned but those two setups should work and allow me to keep my AC.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Jesus, of course you miss your blowers. Keep up the awesome work!

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I ordered the supercharger :greatgift:

Coming by LTL freight, probably next week sometime.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:stwoon:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I keep meaning to pick your brain a bit about superchargers on the LS. I've got so much vertical room to play with in my engine bay :v:

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I keep meaning to pick your brain a bit about superchargers on the LS. I've got so much vertical room to play with in my engine bay :v:

LSA setup can be done for pretty cheap but I think the cheapest setup would be a used Procharger style setup. I prefer the roots and air to water IC. The Colorado has been running N/A since I rebuilt the 6.0 and I've been itching to put a supercharger back on it - but I really wanted something better than what I had cobbled together before. Once the dust settles from the Datsun I'll be putting an LSA setup onto the 6.0L in the truck.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well yeah its a truck and hoods just get in the way of superchargers.

That z is beautiful and superchargers should be on all v8s.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

FuzzKill posted:

LSA setup can be done for pretty cheap but I think the cheapest setup would be a used Procharger style setup. I prefer the roots and air to water IC. The Colorado has been running N/A since I rebuilt the 6.0 and I've been itching to put a supercharger back on it - but I really wanted something better than what I had cobbled together before. Once the dust settles from the Datsun I'll be putting an LSA setup onto the 6.0L in the truck.

Is the LSA setup a roots with built in air to water intercooler?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Coredump posted:

Is the LSA setup a roots with built in air to water intercooler?

Pretty much, it's a TVS so it's a different twist angle and 4 lobe vs 3 lobe but still basically a roots. Air to water intercooled.

The S/C I ordered for the Datsun is basically the same thing but a larger displacement. LSA blower is 1.9L and the E-force blower is 2.3L while being more compact. Also air to water intercooled.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzKill posted:

I was going to say "won't I need new heads" since with an actual LS1, I'm stuck with narrow-bore cathedral port heads, but...

That's a thing. :getin:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Come onnnn, get new heads. Aren't there aluminum truck heads with similar castings to the ls2/3 out there?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Coredump posted:

Come onnnn, get new heads. Aren't there aluminum truck heads with similar castings to the ls2/3 out there?

Yes the L92 heads are basically the same casting but with heavier and maybe smaller valves.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was going to say "won't I need new heads" since with an actual LS1, I'm stuck with narrow-bore cathedral port heads, but...

That's a thing. :getin:
Those look very similar to the intake adapters to run a 4.6L intake manifold on a 5.4L engine (ford mod motors, both).

Probably less unicorn-lovely, though. (It took almost a year to get a pair when I tried.)

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Oh hey there buddy

Everything looks great in the kit. Comes with almost everything you need, basically just add a FMHE that fits your chassis and you're good to go.

I had bought 42.5lb/hr injectors planning for this eventuality but the kit comes with Deka 60lb/hr so I'll gladly use those instead. Also included rails, MAF housing, intercooler pump, reservoir, hoses, tensioner, bracket, MAP sensor, and an air filter I can fit my head into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FuzzKill posted:

Oh hey there buddy

Everything looks great in the kit. Comes with almost everything you need, basically just add a FMHE that fits your chassis and you're good to go.

I had bought 42.5lb/hr injectors planning for this eventuality but the kit comes with Deka 60lb/hr so I'll gladly use those instead. Also included rails, MAF housing, intercooler pump, reservoir, hoses, tensioner, bracket, MAP sensor, and an air filter I can fit my head into.

God man oh jesus yes

• Locked thread