Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
They... take AA batteries? Are you making GBS threads me? They were going on back when they were designing the Touch about how lightweight and ergonomic they were, so how did they decide on AA over lithium-ion?

Edit: don't get me wrong, I'm a powerlifter so the grams aren't going to bother me, but it's about avoiding "gorilla arms" fatigue in the general public. Vive wands use lithium ion so these things better at least come in at a cheap price if they're going to use AA.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like AAs. When my xbone controller dies, I just swap the batteries out and put the old ones on the charger.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

I like AAs. When my xbone controller dies, I just swap the batteries out and put the old ones on the charger.

I like lithium ion... my Xbone controller lasts for a week even when it's driving my headphones and when it dies I swap the battery from controller 2 in.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Rechargable AAs are fine, and even good because you have have a spare set ready to go if one of the controllers dies rather than going "well I guess I'm done since I'll have to plug this in for 20 minutes"

You can also get lithium ion AAs :ssh:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Getting my pre-emptive mod request in: please embed this song once touch releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtOviHnmAlE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I like lithium ion... my Xbone controller lasts for a week even when it's driving my headphones and when it dies I swap the battery from controller 2 in.

You're talking two totally different things. Lithium Ion is a battery material, AA is a battery standard. My AAs are nickel metal hydride. My xbone controllers last as long as I need them too which is quite a while.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Touch FCC Filing posted:

The applicant must certify that neither the applicant nor any party to the application is subject to a denial of Federal benefits, that include FCC benefits, pursuant to Section 5301 of the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988, 21 U.S.C. § 862 because of a conviction for possession or distribution of a controlled substance.
Today I learned that if you're busted for possession of marijuana, you can't get your product through the FCC for 1 year. Busted a second time? 5 years. We don't want all you drugged out stoners getting your products certified as safe!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

You're talking two totally different things. Lithium Ion is a battery material, AA is a battery standard. My AAs are nickel metal hydride. My xbone controllers last as long as I need them too which is quite a while.

Thanks for explaining batteries to me, who builds batteries for hours on end in a variety of chemistries.

Not everyone has rechargeable NIMH batteries (most people buy a bunch with good intentions then lose them or the charger) and alkaline aren't exactly a great value either. Li-ion is simply a much better energy to weight/volume ratio and you can make them removable if hot swap is a big concern.

All I'm saying is there's a good reason Vive and pretty much all electronics in this age go with them. If Oculus is doing this for any reason other than substantially undercutting the Vive pricing, it's dumb.

CapnBry posted:

Today I learned that if you're busted for possession of marijuana, you can't get your product through the FCC for 1 year. Busted a second time? 5 years. We don't want all you drugged out stoners getting your products certified as safe!

Watching my friend try to repair his Volcano vaper, I don't think I'd want to encourage him to invent anything either.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 1, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The vive controllers are great until the batteries die and you have to stop playing. With removable batteries, you can just swap out and keep playing. I don't know why swappable batteries would be a thing to get mad about.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Batteries, like most things about VR for me can be sorted in a 'Before Onward' thinking and an 'After Onward'.

Before getting onward I didn't think it was such a big deal, playing an hour or two didn't really drain it that much and I'd hook them up for the next session the following day. And now after onward it's frequently the one thing that makes me have to stop playing as I eventually lose tracking on them from battery loss. If I could just swap out batteries it would make my virtual life a whole lot easier.

Once you get that one killer app that makes you play for literally hours on end, a lot of stuff with the current VR gen starts to annoy you a bit. Cable spinning, lens fog, breathability, HMD adjustments to keep the sweet spot, said issue with batteries etc.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zsinjeh posted:

Batteries, like most things about VR for me can be sorted in a 'Before Onward' thinking and an 'After Onward'.

Before getting onward I didn't think it was such a big deal, playing an hour or two didn't really drain it that much and I'd hook them up for the next session the following day. And now after onward it's frequently the one thing that makes me have to stop playing as I eventually lose tracking on them from battery loss. If I could just swap out batteries it would make my virtual life a whole lot easier.

Once you get that one killer app that makes you play for literally hours on end, a lot of stuff with the current VR gen starts to annoy you a bit. Cable spinning, lens fog, breathability, HMD adjustments to keep the sweet spot, said issue with batteries etc.

Well you do know that the Vive wands do still function when plugged in right? Maybe in addition to backpack computers for VR we also need wrist-wrap battery packs! brb going to kickstarter.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cojawfee posted:

The vive controllers are great until the batteries die and you have to start playing Euro Truck, House of the Dying Sun, Dirt Rally, War Thunder, DCS World, Elite Dangerous or watch something on Virtual Desktop

never stop playing

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I could have sworn there was a Onward thread. Played that a few hours tonight. Good fun. The movement takes a bit of getting used to. The only thing that gets my tummy a bit quesy is an up or down movement I wasn't even expecting

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

They... take AA batteries? Are you making GBS threads me? They were going on back when they were designing the Touch about how lightweight and ergonomic they were, so how did they decide on AA over lithium-ion?

Edit: don't get me wrong, I'm a powerlifter so the grams aren't going to bother me, but it's about avoiding "gorilla arms" fatigue in the general public. Vive wands use lithium ion so these things better at least come in at a cheap price if they're going to use AA.

The Touch controllers are really light, don't worry about that.

Using both Touch and Vive controllers, there are benefits to both approaches. Just plugging a usb charger in is nice for the Vive wands, but annoying when charge runs out and you have to wait to play. Swapping over batteries in the Touch controllers is much quicker.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
E: I'm retard and should always read the last post in the thread.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Zero VGS posted:

Not everyone has rechargeable NIMH batteries (most people buy a bunch with good intentions then lose them or the charger) and alkaline aren't exactly a great value either. Li-ion is simply a much better energy to weight/volume ratio and you can make them removable if hot swap is a big concern.

Most people lose rechargeable batteries? What? If your problem is that you can't figure out where to store a couple batteries in between swaps, to the point where you literally lose them, maybe you should be worried about losing your touch controllers too. Or even the entire headset.

I think you mean most people don't think to buy them, which is a stupid argument since they sell them at the grocery store. Yes they're more expensive up front than a pack of normal AA's, but the $15 I put out a few years ago for 4 AA's and a charger has ran my 360 controller on my computer flawlessly. The cost in non-rechargeable AA's would have been many times that already, and the batteries I have still hold close to a full charge. You don't even need to go to a fancy electronics store, you just buy them when you do normal shopping. Or Amazon.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nickelsack posted:

I could have sworn there was a Onward thread. Played that a few hours tonight. Good fun. The movement takes a bit of getting used to. The only thing that gets my tummy a bit quesy is an up or down movement I wasn't even expecting

I played Warthunder yesterday, and it looked great, except the screen shuddering/tearing, which made me really want to throw up.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ballistics statistics posted:

Most people lose rechargeable batteries? What? If your problem is that you can't figure out where to store a couple batteries in between swaps, to the point where you literally lose them, maybe you should be worried about losing your touch controllers too. Or even the entire headset.

I think you mean most people don't think to buy them, which is a stupid argument since they sell them at the grocery store. Yes they're more expensive up front than a pack of normal AA's, but the $15 I put out a few years ago for 4 AA's and a charger has ran my 360 controller on my computer flawlessly. The cost in non-rechargeable AA's would have been many times that already, and the batteries I have still hold close to a full charge. You don't even need to go to a fancy electronics store, you just buy them when you do normal shopping. Or Amazon.

Also worth mentioning that the Rift comes with a wireless Xbox One controller, so I imagine most people with the Rift have already figured out their rechargeable AA situation by now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

The vive controllers are great until the batteries die and you have to stop playing. With removable batteries, you can just swap out and keep playing. I don't know why swappable batteries would be a thing to get mad about.

The time that happens I'll be rocking my Gen 3 so no big deal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Gen 3 comes out in a few hours?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Gen 3 comes out in a few hours?

Technically it already has.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i think you'd have to be pretty lovely at plugging in the vive wands when you're done since I routinely forget and I've never had to stop playing to recharge

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ive had to stop plenty of times. I am not sure how long they are supposed to last but forgetting to plug them in between any two sessions means dead batteries for me. Had to cancel demos for a while more than once because of it. My sessions tend to be like 4 to 6 hours long though.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i wonder if there is something else going on because it seems weird that you would have such a polar opposite experience

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would guess most people dont manage 12 hours in two consecutive sessions, and probably travel less so have an easier time remembering to charge afterwards since they can just hook up when they are done.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

certainly abnormal usage then, and that seems indicative of a good battery

Tweak fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 2, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ballistics statistics posted:

I've gone through 3 or 4 battery chargers and at least a dozen rechargeable batteries. I don't do anything that needs batteries very often so I can go months between needing to recharge. That makes it pretty easy to lose the batteries, charger or both between uses.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LLSix posted:

I've gone through 3 or 4 battery chargers and at least a dozen rechargeable batteries. I don't do anything that needs batteries very often so I can go months between needing to recharge. That makes it pretty easy to lose the batteries, charger or both between uses.
Your situation is atypical; most people can manage to not lose things in their house by putting them in one place every time or leaving them plugged in somewhere out of the way.

Don't forget that lith-ion lifespan is only up to about 3 years, and it only holds around half it's charge by the end of year 2. I don't really want to deal with opening up and trying a battery replace or replacing them after a few years, do you?

what IS annoying is the extra $30-$50 for batteries and charger, which would suck if I didn't already have one.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 3, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you use small flashlights, xbox one controllers, TV remotes or anything that uses AAs, you should have rechargeables. It's a big investment at first but they eventually pay for themselves.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
$30 isn't exactly a big investment. You can get very good chargers off dealextreme for <$20. Mine was a luxurious $22, with a LCD display, that charges everything from nicd trash to li-ion. Another $10 for a pair of 2700mAh batteries and you're done (expensive electronics should come with their own pair included)

e: Also, the batteries in my vive wands seem to last over 8 hours, and I just plug em in after every session, and they fill in like 30 minutes, so :shrug:

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The battery solution makes sense to me. They already assume you're using an Xbox controller and so you're already dealing with that requirement. For someone without spare batteries and chargers I can see how it would feel like a hassle, but at least the lack of integrated battery should improve the usable life span of the touch controllers. If they end up being used for multiple headset "generations" I think it will be a good thing. I've been using the same 2 xbox controllers since the release of the 360 so that will be 12 years in November.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Wii was enormously successful and it's controllers used AA batteries, I seriously think this is a non-issue but I do have a bunch of eneloops and one of those crazy chargers with an LCD screen

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Are the Vive wands batteries user replaceable?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Poetic Justice posted:

Are the Vive wands batteries user replaceable?

No. I'm sure it's easy enough to replace them if you needed to but otherwise they are like a cellphone in that the battery is not meant to be replaced by the user.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Every cellphone I have owned has a battery thats meant to be and is trivially replaced by the user so that seems like a weird comparison

Although that matters less now that I got my backup usb batteries and.... oh man I didnt even think about it but those would be trivially easy to rig up to extend the vives capacity, since they still work when plugged in.

Cool.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 3, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How old is your cell phone?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

How old is your cell phone?

Last year.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The vast majority of modern smartphones do not have user-replaceable batteries.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Last year.

You either purposely looked for a phone with a removable battery and you're being obtuse, or you just randomly lucked into one of the few phones that has a removable battery. Every popular phone available right now does not have a removable battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I do not track smartphone trends I just buy a decent phone for a decent price when I need a new phone so this is genuinely news to me. I mean, I knew it was a thing that sometimes happened with proprietary vanity phones like the iPhone back in the day but I hadnt realized it had actually become the norm even outside of apple products.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 3, 2016