Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Flyinglemur posted:

Loved this.

And as far as Matt's defense of "I have a military background" when he squared up as he was getting his rear end chewed, I have a couple of theories:

-One or both of his parents was in the military and brought the attitude home, therefore the oppositional stance/body language
-He was in the military for about 15 minutes before being kicked out and believe that lets him have a chip on his shoulder when people yell at him.

I'm guessing number 1.

And we saw a few seasons back how well an ex-military douchebag did trying to go toe to toe with Chef:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8EtoWMGAtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

WescottF1 posted:

And we saw a few seasons back how well an ex-military douchebag did trying to go toe to toe with Chef:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8EtoWMGAtg

Frank from last season ended up losing his job over how he acted too.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

EngineerSean posted:

Frank from last season ended up losing his job over how he acted too.

That really was the best :allears:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
So it sounds like the US F Word might not be a lovely shadow of the UK behemoth after all. That it's going to be a live format featuring Ramsay is :allears: enough for me.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Looks like Cooking Channel is going to start running Masterchef Canada S3 tonight, for anyone who is interested.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

WescottF1 posted:

Looks like Cooking Channel is going to start running Masterchef Canada S3 tonight, for anyone who is interested.

The Canadian judges are now more interesting than the American ones.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I just started watching Kitchen Nightmare highlights on Youtube

:gonk: This is so awkward and uncomfortable. Why would anyone want to own or work in a restaurant?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MrSlam posted:

:gonk: This is so awkward and uncomfortable. Why would anyone want to own or work in a restaurant?

It's the one industry besides Hollywood and professional athletes that won't fire you for showing up to work coked and drunk out of your mind?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MrSlam posted:

There's a lot of people who love the dream of owning a restaurant without understanding that it's a ruthless business with a lot of complexity to it and requiring a huge amount of time to manage. They think they can just hang out with their buddies lording over their fiefdom or cook food like they do for their dinner parties. It's the dream job for people who are into food, and much like most "dream jobs", the reality is something that few people are prepared for.

In my delusions sometimes I look at the two restaurants in my small town: a Mexican place that has left me queasy every time I've eaten there and a diner that is all Costos prepackaged food and I think, "I could totally do that." And then I remember what it would actually entail and move on with my life.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

MrSlam posted:

Many/most restaurant owners are either idiots or blowhards, but the ones who turn profits also realize that their restaurant has to not suck and don't do things like having an iron fist over the menu, or berating employees in front of customers. These people are not reality TV fodder, of course.

It's difficult to call kitchen work pleasant, but it's far from the worst job you can have.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I find it way more amusing how shows like Hells Kitchen have glorified being a chef when in reality 99% work on a line making 15k a year because it's the only job that will hire them. Then if you are good enough to own your own restaurant you work 100 hours a week and make a small profit.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 18, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The general impression I got in the Restaurant Megathread on GWS was that everyone hates working in restaurants. Maybe I'm wrong. I mentioned to a girl working at a bakery once how much I'd love to work there and she gave me the biggest "gently caress you" with her eyes she could muster.

Random Stranger posted:

In my delusions sometimes I look at the two restaurants in my small town: a Mexican place that has left me queasy every time I've eaten there and a diner that is all Costos prepackaged food and I think, "I could totally do that." And then I remember what it would actually entail and move on with my life.

I'm right there with you.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 18, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
From what I've heard, if you want to have a cooking career, make a food truck.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I'm watching the Mama Maria's episode right now. If no one had told me otherwise I would've believed the spoiled lobster and paramedics was a setup. I like the show but I can feel them milking as much drama as they can. That's American style editing though.

edit: You're no longer a Pizza-Boy...you're a Pizza-Man.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 18, 2016

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Really not enjoying Hell's Kitchen this season. It seems like they picked a bunch of seriously mysogynist bullies for the men's team. I don't mind people organizing to get rid of others, but these dudes are just looking for their next target to harass.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, I thought we were about due for a guy to win, but nobody in that flock of sociopaths could pretend to manage other people.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Chappy looks like he has a smaller angrier chappy inside him that's going to burst out and stab Gordon with a fork

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
More like Hell's Shitchen.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea right, a live TV show with a guy that says gently caress every 10 words. Gonna be fun for the guys in the booth bleeping everything during the delay.

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
It will be interesting to see how they adapt some things, though honestly I don't see the spending a season raising an animal then slaughtering and serving it bits making it in, because PETA will have a meltdown, even though I thought they were very cool, and showed people that dinner you picked up didn't come from the supermarket with a price sticker on it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
PETA will have a meltdown, but so what? Aren't they active in the UK too? I don't think it will be included, but I think that's just because it's such a different format.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

cool new Polack jokes posted:

More like Hell's Shitchen.

the last two eliminations have been lovely. like, i know, who knew throwing your teammates under the bus for petty poo poo could actually work for a while? but still. aziza in particular was a dubious cut.

then again it's HK, who gives a poo poo

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea right, a live TV show with a guy that says gently caress every 10 words. Gonna be fun for the guys in the booth bleeping everything during the delay.

he can keep the cusses under control for live tv. i've seen him on talk shows. going for 30 or 60 though, yeah that could be great

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I feel kinda bad Hells Kitchen is kinda dead but I get enough Gordon Ramsay from the Kitchen Nightmares Youtube Channel.

I like the constant Nino too.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the last hell kitchen preview implied self-mutilation, okay.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They've implied death when absolutely nothing happens before. The show blatantly lies to the viewer and it's amazing it gets away with it.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 8, 2016

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Invalid Validation posted:

They've implied death when absolutely nothing happens before. The show blatantly lies to the viewer and it's amazing it gets away with it.

Honestly, Ramsay doesn't yell enough in the new seasons. They have to drum up whatever fake drama they can. After each episode I watch that episode's preview to see if anything they said was going to happen happened. It never does. It's actually hilarious now that I'm over the intentional deceit.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I keep seeing Gordon corpsing/smiling during service in the new season of HK. It's kinda endearing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
God, it was beautiful watching that loving sociopath go.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm glad Hells Kitchen still let me see assholes get kicked out. I haven't seen an Elise yet.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm glad Hells Kitchen still let me see assholes get kicked out. I haven't seen an Elise yet.

Not to mention all the glamorous celebrities. I always wanted to see how an extra from Dexter eats beef wellington.

Bates fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 21, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just don't see any result in this season of Hell's Kitchen where Ryan doesn't win, either she's that good or they are editing her that good.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Rick posted:

I just don't see any result in this season of Hell's Kitchen where Ryan doesn't win, either she's that good or they are editing her that good.

Her only issue is that her voice might not carry well in a kitchen.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
i couldn't believe how long it had been since this show had been on when i started the ep and saw johnny getting eliminated in the recap

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I don't think Wendy is gonna win but she's cool, has a good voice for talking heads, and is mildly entertaining so I hope she stays long.

Good girls this season

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Matt lasted a lot longer than I thought.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I find myself rooting for Paulie because he looks almost exactly like one of my friends.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I find myself rooting for Paulie because he looks almost exactly like one of my friends.

I'm rooting for Ramsay to eliminate all of them, and then eliminate the casting director for this season. And then go home and make news seasons of Kitchen Nightmares UK

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I was REALLY hoping Matt was going to lose it and security would be called in while he was screaming about his "Military Experience" and then next week they put a disclaimer out from the USMC that he only made it through the first 4 days of Basic and had to be sent home because he wet the bed and cried about not being respected and wanted to fight literally everyone in his company.

If that seems oddly specific, its because there was a guy in my company who did that. It was not Matt, nor was I in the USMC but still

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
It usually doesn't end well for the ex-military guys, does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

WescottF1 posted:

It usually doesn't end well for the ex-military guys, does it?

Nope. And this does not pertain to just Hell's Kitchen.