Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
A short story with Lovecraftian elements. I read it in the UK when I was a kid circa 1990. It was in a collection of short stories in hardboiled with a blueish cover. Pretty sure it wasn't actually by Lovecraft.

The story had a man who came into possession of some kind of figurine that looked a bit Egyptian (not sure about that). He became a bit obsessed with it and copied the pose of the figurine and then fell asleep and woke up in a sort of weird dream world.

In this dream world was a pine cone made out of human fingernails.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
What's the name of that Asimov or possibly Clarke story where the heroes kick a guy off the tiny moon of Jupiter they're on and hold him hostage by threatening to let his orbit decay? I remember the author had to do painstaking orbital mechanics to figure out what would really happen.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Is it Jupiter Five by Arthur C. Clarke?

Another story that benefits from orbital dynamics is Heinleins Stranger In A Strange Land - the abriged version that was first published doesn't really feel like a Heinlein novel.

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

Octofoot posted:

Hey, I just had a massive wave of nostalgia for a slightly horrifyingly illustrated kids' book I had when I was little. Damned if I can remember the title, but I kind of remember it was about a marvelous egg or amazing egg. The illustrations were what I liked most, they were this weird unsettling artistic style that was like halfway between Goya and Hieronymous Bosch? I also remember one illustration that had this really imposing lion-like monster that I think was called King Ticonderoga. I don't really remember fully, but I think everyone was fighting over this egg that hatched a little bluebird or something. If anyone can find it for me, I will love you forever.

For anyone who was wondering, I found it- it's Ratsmagic by Wayne Anderson, I highly recommend it.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
My partner is trying to remember the name of a story about a taxi driver called Eddie who begins to receive letters in the mail. Each letter has a task for him to complete, but the tasks become more complex as the story goes on.

Any ideas?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yellowed paperpack, probably 70s-80s, from a public library.

A (paraplegic?) retired cop meets a woman in some kind of virtual reality game and it turns out she's a teenager and yeah, it gets as sketchy as imagined. I think maybe the cop was trying to track down a teenage boy criminal of some sort? Cop might be paraplegic because he was shot by a woman's ex-husband after he started sleeping with her? I honestly don't know if I hallucinated this book altogether.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yellowed paperpack, probably 70s-80s, from a public library.

A (paraplegic?) retired cop meets a woman in some kind of virtual reality game and it turns out she's a teenager and yeah, it gets as sketchy as imagined. I think maybe the cop was trying to track down a teenage boy criminal of some sort? Cop might be paraplegic because he was shot by a woman's ex-husband after he started sleeping with her? I honestly don't know if I hallucinated this book altogether.

Piers Anthony, Killobyte. You didn't hallucinate it but I wouldn't bother tracking it down for a reread personally.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Piers Anthony, Killobyte. You didn't hallucinate it but I wouldn't bother tracking it down for a reread personally.

Got to teenager and guessed Piers Anthony, 'faith' in humanity restored.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
"Piers Anthony" and "faith in humanity" don't belong in the same sentence.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Piers Anthony" and "faith in humanity" don't belong in the same sentence.

"Has destroyed my" between the two phrases.

But honestly I maintain that an important part of a nerds development process is the day they discover piers Anthony and the exciting smut it brings. And then the day they become embarrassed that they ever read him. It's amusing that h himself is not yet self aware enough for the second part.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lemniscate Blue posted:

God, that loving explains why it was sketchy as hell. I didn't want to reread it, just confirm that yes, that poo poo happened. I tried to describe the plot to a friend the other night, and it sounded fake as it came out of my mouth. loving Piers Anthony.

That's one metal title though, in a terrible 80s this-pun-hadn't-yet-been-done-to-death way.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

GlenMR posted:

My partner is trying to remember the name of a story about a taxi driver called Eddie who begins to receive letters in the mail. Each letter has a task for him to complete, but the tasks become more complex as the story goes on.

Any ideas?

I am the messenger by Markus Zusak?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm trying to remember a fantasy book I read in the 90's. Some guy was sent back in time and became apprenticed to a mage. I remember he was kind of a screw up and ended the book fighting a huge worm/centipede. It felt like it was part of a series.

I realize now as an adult it may have been a self insert, but I'd still like to know what it was.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Travic posted:

I'm trying to remember a fantasy book I read in the 90's. Some guy was sent back in time and became apprenticed to a mage. I remember he was kind of a screw up and ended the book fighting a huge worm/centipede. It felt like it was part of a series.

I realize now as an adult it may have been a self insert, but I'd still like to know what it was.

This possibly? I also thoughtScott Meyer's "Off to be the Wizard" but that's from 2014ish

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

This possibly? I also thoughtScott Meyer's "Off to be the Wizard" but that's from 2014ish

That seems very close. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Holy poo poo, I had a copy of The Ambivalent Magician as a kid and had completely forgotten about it until this post. Never had the earlier books. I think I need to track these down now.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Name this book based on a decade old memory and piss all details.

1: Two (or more) astronauts go to the moon (mars?) and enter a previously sent spaceship that stopped contact for unknown reasons, one of them drinks from a bottle of wine they find and during take off one of the other astronauts realizes it was blood (or something) because it wasn't frozen, and then the drinker turns into a vampire.

JackBobby
Feb 26, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

Another crosspost from PYF because its annoying me that I can't remember what this book was;

This is from awhile back but I'm pretty sure this one is called Skeleton Man.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026772SI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

504 posted:

Name this book based on a decade old memory and piss all details.

1: Two (or more) astronauts go to the moon (mars?) and enter a previously sent spaceship that stopped contact for unknown reasons, one of them drinks from a bottle of wine they find and during take off one of the other astronauts realizes it was blood (or something) because it wasn't frozen, and then the drinker turns into a vampire.

Right, now I'm at work and can google: could it be Elegy by Charles Beaumont? There was a Twilight Zone episode by the same name based off of it, but I'm unsure if the differences are due to it being an adaptation or if you're misremembering, or if I'm on the wrong track.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Asking for a friend:

Trying to find a chapter book she liked as a kid, so it was published around or before 1990. There was a kid, she thinks a girl, who goes into a fantasy land and has adventures and there's a king lion that changes color based on his mood and he's very moody.

That's all she's got. Thanks!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
When I was a kid, I could swear that I read a book about two brothers who go into a magic land, but get separated. One of them ends up being cooked into an egg that is almost fed to the other, before he finds out.

It's not The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren, although for years I was sure it had to be it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dr. AA Hazredstein posted:

When I was a kid, I could swear that I read a book about two brothers who go into a magic land, but get separated. One of them ends up being cooked into an egg that is almost fed to the other, before he finds out.

It's not The Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren, although for years I was sure it had to be it.

As I read it I was sure too, but the egg threw me off.

Does he get turned into an egg magically or technologically?

There's a Norwegian kid's book about a kid named Odd (which is a pretty normal name in Norway) whose head is an egg. Apparently he has to wrap it up in towels and a tea cozy when he goes outside. Looks like it's from 2010 though so probably not it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Snapchat A Titty posted:

As I read it I was sure too, but the egg threw me off.

Does he get turned into an egg magically or technologically?

There's a Norwegian kid's book about a kid named Odd (which is a pretty normal name in Norway) whose head is an egg. Apparently he has to wrap it up in towels and a tea cozy when he goes outside. Looks like it's from 2010 though so probably not it.

He and a couple of other kids are put in an oven and that gets them inside eggs, not transformed into them. As in his brother breaks his shell and gets him out. It's all part of this weird decadent and monstrous society that brother is inducted into.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Goddamned fairy tale tropes.

I'm reminded of Krabat, but that's not it either. The kids are mostly turned into ravens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaIh7rVofAw

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Shageletic posted:

It's been eating at me, but I have this memory of this fantasy series where there is a world where people use illusionary magic all the time, until I think the main character starts using magic that actually changes the property of things. Any idea what that might be?

The Man Who Was Magic, by Paul Gallico?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Heck, this thread worked last time.

Some random SF I read as a kid. No idea if it was a short story or a full book. One of the aliens lived in two-dimensional time - it could hop between timelines to pick ones where, for instance, it didn't get shot by bullets. Other characters were fighting it for some reason and they couldn't kill it but thankfully it... uh, decided to go away or something. That's all I got.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I read a short story once but have no idea who wrote it or which book it was in

Third person telling of a sudden world wide landing by alien ground troops, after a brief period of panic we realize we have them utterly outgunned in every way shape and form (to the point even streetgangs are easily driving them back) Our "first wave" of resistance is able to drive them back and even overwhelm and capture their ships, aliens are utterly shocked by this.

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

FAKE EDIT

May have been a sci fi magazine.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

504 posted:

I read a short story once but have no idea who wrote it or which book it was in

Third person telling of a sudden world wide landing by alien ground troops, after a brief period of panic we realize we have them utterly outgunned in every way shape and form (to the point even streetgangs are easily driving them back) Our "first wave" of resistance is able to drive them back and even overwhelm and capture their ships, aliens are utterly shocked by this.

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

FAKE EDIT

May have been a sci fi magazine.

The Road Not Taken by Harry Turtledove?

e: or perhaps his later Worldwar books

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 22, 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If that's not in the OP then it ought to be. It's probably the most requested story ID in the thread.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Heck, this thread worked last time.

Some random SF I read as a kid. No idea if it was a short story or a full book. One of the aliens lived in two-dimensional time - it could hop between timelines to pick ones where, for instance, it didn't get shot by bullets. Other characters were fighting it for some reason and they couldn't kill it but thankfully it... uh, decided to go away or something. That's all I got.

Could be The Golden Man by Philip K. Dick. He's a mutant, not an alien, and he sees the future instead of hopping between timelines, but otherwise the same idea.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ToxicFrog posted:

The Road Not Taken by Harry Turtledove?

e: or perhaps his later Worldwar books

The road not taken, that's it!

I misremembered some parts, but that deff the one.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If that's not in the OP then it ought to be. It's probably the most requested story ID in the thread.

That and Niven's Inconstant Moon.

Holy :lol:, this thread started nearly nine years ago.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hobnob posted:

Holy :lol:, this thread started nearly nine years ago.

I was going to start a new one, but this one got stickied.

The only thing I would add is that when someone says, "I read this when I was a kid", they should say when that was.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Mister Kingdom posted:

The only thing I would add is that when someone says, "I read this when I was a kid", they should say when that was.

I'm not sure that would help though, may even add confusion. I had no idea the short story I got in a new book 10 years ago was written in 1896 (H.G Wells you fricken' madman!)

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

504 posted:

I'm not sure that would help though, may even add confusion. I had no idea the short story I got in a new book 10 years ago was written in 1896 (H.G Wells you fricken' madman!)

It can work great the other way though. When you say you read a book around 30 years ago people can rule out everything significantly more recent than that. If you vaguely describe some cyberpunk book but can say it was from the mid-80s or earlier that narrows things down an awful lot.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I read this possibly-YA science-fiction story in 2000, plus or minus a year. This was in Australia, though I doubt it was an Australian author, and the book was written in English. I'm fairly sure it was a moderately-long novel, not a short story. I believe it was a relatively new book at the time (i.e. 90s, not 80s or earlier). Frankly, I'm not entirely certain about anything except the reading date since I've begun doubting every memory while trying to find it, but my best-guess recollection of the plot is below:

The book is set in the future, with the Earth empty of human civilization, but covered in (hostile?) life, genetically engineered for increased intelligence/sentience. The plot involved a man and a woman (crash-?) landing, and travelling to some other location across a variety of landscapes, including a desert and sea, necessitating modifications of the spaceship to wheeled/tracked movement and other types of vehicles, reducing each time and eventually ending as a basic wind-powered raft. They are assisted by two bipedal robots which may have been named Gog and Magog, which slot into the ship when not active, and are entirely good-natured and helpful; one of the robots is blinded (by a snake?) during the journey and the other may have lost the use of an arm. Near the end of the journey, on the raft, one character wonders whether the air/wind itself is somehow intelligent. I don't think the ship itself was intelligent. I don't recall the humans having any particular abilities. I don't recall where they were going, why/if they crashed, or how/why the Earth was abandoned. I'm fairly sure there were no aliens or encounters with ruins/robots/conversational life during the journey. It might have had biblical references, e.g. Adam & Eve being sent out of Eden, though I don't think it was explicitly Christian if so.

I feel like the author's name began with a K, but this is probably wrong, and I'm pretty sure I checked all the obvious K-authors in the past. I've never had any luck searching with the remembered robot names, so I guess they're wrong too..

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mister Kingdom posted:

Give a decade at least. Even if it was written in the 19th century and you read it in the 21st any kind of hint can be helpful.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
A short story I read for middle school in the 90s. I think it was about racism and being black in (probably) mid-century America.

I remember one part where this black community puts on a play, or a musical, or something on stage. Even though it's an almost-exclusively black community, the seating arrangement is one row of seats for white people, then a few empty rows, then the remainder for the seats for black people. But even then, the black people arrange themselves so that lighter-skinned people are near the front and darker-skinned people are at the back.

That scene has stuck with me for a long time. I'd love to know where it was from.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Hi goons!

This is a book that I read some years ago, most likely translated from German (or perhaps Bavarian or something similar).

The book centers around a paranoid nobleman who lives in an enormous castle in the forest. There is some discussion of forestry, I remember, but the majority of the book is a long, entrancing but clearly insane rant on the part of the nobleman to one of his young retainers. I think there was some discussion of an illegitimate child and the count's father, and part of the rant took place on the ramparts of the castle.

Edit: I believe it took place perhaps in the late 1800s? It seemed much older due to the castle and everything but I think the idea was it was an area kind of untouched by time. I'm pretty sure I remember there being a truck, however, but it could've been a wagon I suppose. Dammit I wish I could remember more.

Play fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That could possibly be Gargoyles, by Thomas Bernhard.