Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

painynumbs posted:

I work at the syndicate for this strip and I've had to read every single strip for the last year to proof for color. Yes, the girl is hilariously working for Gary Johnson. Yes, the coyote is working for Hillary as an angry bunny who coughs and yells a lot. Donald Trump is Trump's head on a skunk's body.

I'm pretty certain this man's brain is broken.

Also, hello to the thread. I have to read Prickly City for work and I need a place to complain about Prickly City.

I am so sorry for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Regalingualius posted:

SHE'S JUST AS BAD AS HE IS, GUYS (still gonna vote for him in a month though)

I assumed he's not saying Hillary is as bad as Trump, but rather that he's saying Trump is as bad as Hillary

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

That man is clearly Canadian!

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Welcome home.

:glomp:
Thank you, and hugs. It's jarring to go from like reading/coloring Phoebe and Her Unicorn and Peanuts to reading Prickly City. It's not like you can say, aloud, at work, "What the gently caress is this poo poo?"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this is a stupidly specific comic, and also jersey drivers are way worse then PA (but they're all yankees so unable to drive by default)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is a stupidly specific comic, and also jersey drivers are way worse then PA (but they're all yankees so unable to drive by default)

The Georgia HOT lanes, similair the the PA turnpike, is often $11-$12 one way (less than 15 miles)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The whole "THEY'RE BOTH BAD!" thing aside, is this the first time Ramirez has actually drawn Trump?

They're both oddly human-looking for Ramirez. He must have put a lot of effort in, that's why they're duking it out in an empty void.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

painynumbs posted:

Thank you, and hugs. It's jarring to go from like reading/coloring Phoebe and Her Unicorn and Peanuts to reading Prickly City. It's not like you can say, aloud, at work, "What the gently caress is this poo poo?"
I feel that'd be a common utterance at a comics syndicate. "Ah, either they're reading Prickly City, or Curtis is doing the Kwanzaa special."

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Begemot posted:

The whole "THEY'RE BOTH BAD!" thing aside, is this the first time Ramirez has actually drawn Trump?

He's drawn Trump before. Probably not as much as Hillary, tho.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

painynumbs posted:

Do you have any insight on how this and mallard get approved for the funnies?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Purgatory Glory posted:

He should be out of frame.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I feel like this is the beginning of a Loss edit, somehow.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

That's great!

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

I feel like this is the beginning of a Loss edit, somehow.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

painynumbs posted:

Do you carry Mallard Fillmore? If so, I think we can find a present for you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

seiferguy posted:

- Is pro police accountability - cops should wear body cams (because body cams would be entertainment to honest law abiding folks) and should be restrained as to not cause rioting in your hometown. This is not to be confused with him believing we live in a post-racial society.
Which he does! When we don't talk about race, etc.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

painynumbs posted:

There's a lot to find annoying about Prickly City, but for some reason the thing that bothery me the most is the fact that Hunny Bunny is supposed to be a stand in for Hillary and yet sometimes the writer seems to forget this and just references Hillary directly. If you're going to make a lazy caricature at least be constant about it! :argh:

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I feel that'd be a common utterance at a comics syndicate. "Ah, either they're reading Prickly City, or Curtis is doing the Kwanzaa special."

Except the Curtis Kwanzaa special is amazing.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Spiffster posted:

Do you have any insight on how this and mallard get approved for the funnies?

Honestly, as far as the funnies go, it's a very old and very creator-first industry. Many cartoonists are old and white and bitter and angry, and they've been in the industry for decades and have amassed substantial followings, which equals page views/ad revenue.

Some of that is changing, with cartoonists like Dana Simpson and other newer and/or not-insufferable and actually talented artists, but not every cartoonist bows out gracefully like Bill Watterson. They just keep going, subsisting on bitterness and hatred and misguided ideals.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

painynumbs posted:

Some of that is changing, with cartoonists like Dana Simpson and other newer and/or not-insufferable and actually talented artists,

I mean Phoebe and Her Unicorn is probably the best newspaper comic right now

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
"Mallard" was, incidentally, picked up by an editor named Jay Kennedy, who was anything but right-wing; he worked in underground comics beforehand for cryin' out loud.

It was early in the Clinton administration, and there was a market for an overt right-wing comic strip, especially with readers complaining that there's no "balance" to Doonesbury. At the time, Mallard Fillmore was being published exclusively in the Washington Times newspaper, and Kennedy happened to run across it. It was one of those "right place at the right time" moments.

So yeah, "Mallard" is in papers because there's a demand for it. Even if the editor never agreed with its politics, business came first.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

"In the game of patriarchy, women aren't the opposing team; they're the ball."

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So wait, Prickly City is pro-Johnson, right? Did he cover the Aleppo/who is Harriet Tubman?/Angela Merkel or something moments, or has he had to place them in his trusty blind spot?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

"He referred to my hands, if they're small, something else must be small. I guarantee you there's no problem. I guarantee it."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Neeksy posted:

So wait, Prickly City is pro-Johnson, right? Did he cover the Aleppo/who is Harriet Tubman?/Angela Merkel or something moments, or has he had to place them in his trusty blind spot?

Someone please post the strip where they crow about how diverse the GOP lineup is.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
When this election season is over, it's going to be amazing to look at Prickly City's gigantic-rear end meltdown. Like watching Ralph Wiggum's heart tear in half over 18 months.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Neeksy posted:

The reaction was basically the same as Carmen's reaction to Cliven Bundy being an rear end in a top hat.

"gently caress. EVERYTHING'S poo poo. WHY AM I NOT CALVIN."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Neeksy posted:

Prickly City's been less unabashedly pro-Johnson since the Aleppo thing happened (plus the two week lead time) since it undermined the comic's pitch that he was "the adult in the room." It still seems tenuously pro-Johnson but not as full-hearted in its support as before.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Stantis actually did acknowledge it and how stupid it was. I'm wondering if he's having a mild breakdown at realizing that all of his worst political nightmares are coming true; he can't even pretend he's making the moral third party vote after Johnson pretty thoroughly outed himself as somehow being even more unsuited for any position of global influence than Trump.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

"He referred to my hands, if they're small, something else must be small. I guarantee you there's no problem. I guarantee it."

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

F.O.S.?
Finger of shame?
Can't be stink , he used a cigar.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i can't tell if this is a new comic or a repeat of the one he did last week

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/10/donald-trump-dummies-161002090830970.html

Al Jazeera piece on our favorite cryptofascist demagogue. The 5--Kopeck gang are mobbing the comments section, so don't bother there.

Obama needs funding to prove that Obamacare works, even if it will be rather overburdened. A 2009 (I think?) Cartoon.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 4, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Krinkle posted:

F.O.S.?
Finger of shame?
Can't be stink , he used a cigar.

Finger of sincerity. Bruce came up with a 'joke' and he's going to run that fucker for all it's worth.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this is a really good comic, but i have a feeling this is a webcomic rather then anyone syndicated

• Locked thread