Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Uthor posted:

It's 70 mph south of I-80. I'm getting old and just set my cruise at 75 mph (≈72 mph taking into account my inaccurate speedo) and sit in the right lane with little issues. It's pretty nice cause I used to go 75 mph and stress about passing all the slow fucks.

I would do that back on US 151 in SW Wisconsin, only it was 65 mph and I'd set it to 70. No one gives you poo poo at all.

Now on I-94, speed limit is 70, and people are doing 65 in the right lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dick Trauma posted:

No one gives a poo poo any more. If either of these two had killed me I have no doubt they would've carried along on their way to wherever they were going. Years of this has convinced me that the average driver/motorcyclist/bicyclist doesn't consider pedestrians to be people, or even alive. We're just trash blowing across the road.

And what's worse is that these so-called "pedestrians" have the audacity to use "sidewalks" that would otherwise be perfect to cycle on at high speed! Oh well, might as well just do it anyway...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

You have to think, too, police departments aren't going away. they use ticket revenue now to make up huge chunks of their budget. once most people aren't driving, there's going to be a smaller pool of manual motorists to milk.

Depends, are autopilot cars going to force themselves to obey speed limits? Or will it still be similar to the automated-cruise setups we have today where the driver can still set the speed at whatever they want?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

PT6A posted:

And what's worse is that these so-called "pedestrians" have the audacity to use "sidewalks" that would otherwise be perfect to cycle on at high speed! Oh well, might as well just do it anyway...

I have to walk on a narrow sidewalk under a freeway overpass. Despite the lack of room bicyclists like to zoom by me, and with the vehicle noise there's no way I know they're approaching from behind. When you pass close enough to catch at my shirtsleeve you're too loving goddamn close.

EDIT: If I come off excessively hostile I'm just so fed up with people almost injuring or killing me due to negligence, distraction, not giving a poo poo. It's infuriating.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

iospace posted:

I would do that back on US 151 in SW Wisconsin, only it was 65 mph and I'd set it to 70. No one gives you poo poo at all.

Now on I-94, speed limit is 70, and people are doing 65 in the right lane.

In the 1980s I was living and working in Madison and going to school in Platteville. 140 mile round trip five days a week. I never went below 70 on 151 and never got popped.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dick Trauma posted:

I have to walk on a narrow sidewalk under a freeway overpass. Despite the lack of room bicyclists like to zoom by me, and with the vehicle noise there's no way I know they're approaching from behind. When you pass close enough to catch at my shirtsleeve you're too loving goddamn close.

EDIT: If I come off excessively hostile I'm just so fed up with people almost injuring or killing me due to negligence, distraction, not giving a poo poo. It's infuriating.

If they ride on the road people yell at them to get back on the sidewalk.
Basically everyone is an rear end in a top hat to everyone not exactly like them at all times.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

In the 1980s I was living and working in Madison and going to school in Platteville. 140 mile round trip five days a week. I never went below 70 on 151 and never got popped.

That was my same drive, actually

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

nm posted:

Basically everyone is an rear end in a top hat to everyone not exactly like them at all times.

I don't mind that they ride on the sidewalk, I mind that they do it irresponsibly, just like drivers and motorcyclists on the roadways. No one gives a poo poo.

I already believe that everyone is terrible.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Gorilla Salad posted:

As much as I despise people like this, at least they're staying out of the overtaking lane with their bullshit.

Well actually by sitting in the middle lane they are in an overtaking lane. What is really worrying is how few people grasp the concept of what lane hogging is. Any time there is a discussion about why its bad, you get tons of people arguing along the lines of "well what am I supposed to do if the inside lane is packed full of lorries?!" and no matter how hard others try they cant make them see that if they're sitting in the middle lane because they are overtaking a large volume of slow moving vehicles, then they aren't loving lane hogging. Lane hogging is when they sit in the middle lane when the inside lane is empty for some distance.

These same people will demonise those who go 1mph over the limit as being unsafe and a menace on the roads (even though everyone goes at 80mph anyway) but ignore that their actions are just as illegal and arguably even more unsafe.

But what I really hate more than anything else, more than the lane hoggers, more than people who speed up when you try and overtake them, even more than the 40mph brigade on A roads, are the fuckwits who slowly amble up slip roads. Its probably the most dangerous situation you can get into on a motorway or dual carriage way, when some idiot dawdles up a slip road at 35mph and tries to merge into traffic doing 70+. Even more mind boggling are those who creep up onto the motorway at 35mph, then suddenly move into the outside line and punch it into the distance at 90mph.

I blame the various road safety campaigns fixation on speed and the message that comes across as "slower automatically equals safer".

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I got video of the most amazing thing.

There's a lovely merge from US75 to Ross street. There's a feeder road that goes parallel and people go rather fast, so there's a "yield to ramp" sign for exiting traffic.

I am pretty sure i'm going to get creamed at this offramp on my bike or in my car one day.

BUT NOT TODAY! People actually stopped at the yield. I have video proof of people being good drivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z0NiXX1SA8

But of course, every ying has its yang, and at lunch someone almost changed lanes right into me.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Depends, are autopilot cars going to force themselves to obey speed limits? Or will it still be similar to the automated-cruise setups we have today where the driver can still set the speed at whatever they want?

I believe 90% of the traffic problems that exist today are because of people not agreeing on the same speed, from that rear end in a top hat who has to be faster than everyone else and tailgates and swerves between lanes to the good samaritan who refuses to alllow the passing lane to go even a single mile per hour faster than the speed limit. I actually kinda like driving the speed limit most of the time, I've just spent too many years trying to resist and edge out that last 10mph but I don't care anymore. If automated cars allowed drivers to choose the speed that would be retarded. Although I fully expect automated BMWs to come with an Executive VIP rear end in a top hat mode built in. . .

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh, btw, US 151 is two lanes each way now

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nm posted:

God forbid the laws actually get enforced and people learn to live with what is legally required of them (for motorists, that means putting up with cars, and for cyclists, it's accepting that can't ride on the sidewalk).

The difference between a pedestrian yelling at a bicyclist to gently caress off off the sidewalk, and a motorist yelling at a bicyclist to get out of the road, is that in the former case the cyclist is breaking the law, and in the latter they are following the law. So you can't really compare those situations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

God forbid the laws actually get enforced and people learn to live with what is legally required of them (for motorists, that means putting up with cars, and for cyclists, it's accepting that can't ride on the sidewalk).

The difference between a pedestrian yelling at a bicyclist to gently caress off off the sidewalk, and a motorist yelling at a bicyclist to get out of the road, is that in the former case the cyclist is breaking the law, and in the latter they are following the law. So you can't really compare those situations.

While I am strongly opposed to sidewalk cycling, last time I looked, it was legal in many places. For example, it is expressly legal in CA unless the local government makes it illegal (which is really only 50-50). Here, cycling on sidewalks is only banned in the urban core.
Most cycling advocates want to ban sidewalk cycling so that cities can stop using that as an excuse not to design for them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nm posted:

Most cycling advocates want to ban sidewalk cycling so that cities can stop using that as an excuse not to design for them.

Which basically guarantees no city will ever have an effective cyclist infrastructure because good loving luck seeing any movement on expanding roads to suit bicycles within our lifetime.

The only way to do it is just say "gently caress it, bikes and cars use the same road, deal with it" or design the city from the ground up to handle it. Established urban areas have no room to create additional pathways.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

xzzy posted:

Which basically guarantees no city will ever have an effective cyclist infrastructure because good loving luck seeing any movement on expanding roads to suit bicycles within our lifetime.

The only way to do it is just say "gently caress it, bikes and cars use the same road, deal with it" or design the city from the ground up to handle it. Established urban areas have no room to create additional pathways.

I disagree. Most cities have done a much better job of late at this, even in established neighborhoods. Minneapolis, for example, has done an excellent job in neighborhoods dating from the 1800s to 1960s suburban hell.

Sidewalks tend to be more dangerious than roads without infrastructure (because of driveways and intersections) anyhow. They just feel safer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

wolrah posted:

Geoj I think you can back me up on this one, 71 and 480 are full of areas that are marked 60 but have an average free-flowing speed more in the 75+ range. It's not hard to be 20+ over the limit but still not significantly faster than prevailing speed of traffic.

I think you pretty much described every major highway in and around major population centers in Ohio. Best you can do in that situation is blend in with traffic and not call attention to yourself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

These are the people you share the helipad with.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PT6A posted:

Add in "bicycles are vehicles, and as such are subject to the same laws/rules as motor vehicles" for the entitled rear end in a top hat cyclists that like to run signs/lights and ignore traffic and pedestrians. I still think a double-wide sidewalk with a railing down the center and each side marked for cycling/walking is about the only way anyone will feel less "endangered", it keeps both walking and bicycle traffic clear of the road. If cyclists don't want to follow the same road laws as cars, they can stay the gently caress off the road, period.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Everyone is terrible and I want them to stay away from me. Just let me get to work and back home without almost getting hit or killed.

Thank you

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

nm posted:

While I am strongly opposed to sidewalk cycling, last time I looked, it was legal in many places. For example, it is expressly legal in CA unless the local government makes it illegal (which is really only 50-50). Here, cycling on sidewalks is only banned in the urban core.

Huh, really? That's pretty stupid, it's legal pretty much nowhere in Canada unless you're under a certain age. It's not safe.

Another option is a painted bike lane on a sidewalk that's wide enough to safely accommodate pedestrians and cyclists. I'd be totally okay with that, but I've never seen them outside of Europe for some reason.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As someone who spends a lot of time walking around Denver, gently caress cyclists who ride on the sidewalk. More often than not they're on the sidewalk adjacent to the dedicated bike lane, and if they're going the same direction as me they often zoom right around me way too loving close without any warning at all. Only once have I ever had a cyclist say "on your left." And I moved to make room for them.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I believe 90% of the traffic problems that exist today are because of people not agreeing on the same speed, from that rear end in a top hat who has to be faster than everyone else and tailgates and swerves between lanes to the good samaritan who refuses to alllow the passing lane to go even a single mile per hour faster than the speed limit. I actually kinda like driving the speed limit most of the time, I've just spent too many years trying to resist and edge out that last 10mph but I don't care anymore. If automated cars allowed drivers to choose the speed that would be retarded. Although I fully expect automated BMWs to come with an Executive VIP rear end in a top hat mode built in. . .

I just hate that I have to be that rear end in a top hat that swerves and tailgates* just so I can approach the speed limit on the road to and from my work...

*Only in the sense that I try and keep close to the car in front of me so I can pass them in the other lane once we clear the even slower car in that lane. The lights are timed for the speed limit, so on the rare occasion I can make it to each light in time and people actually accelerate fast enough (and there are no 0-60 in 60 second trucks) I don't have to stop at any light except the first. Otherwise my commute can increase by 25-30%, which can be frustrating. I wish I had the money to create an ad campaign on that road to let people know they don't have to be wasting gas at all those lights!!

I also get irrationally upset at the chucklefucks who accelerate from lights at like 0.0003 mph2 (half the time the aforementioned trucks), usually after taking 5 seconds to get going in the first place.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Huh, really? That's pretty stupid, it's legal pretty much nowhere in Canada unless you're under a certain age. It's not safe.

Another option is a painted bike lane on a sidewalk that's wide enough to safely accommodate pedestrians and cyclists. I'd be totally okay with that, but I've never seen them outside of Europe for some reason.

'Murica. We're just lucky it isn't legal to shoot anyone not presently in a car.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I still think a double-wide sidewalk with a railing down the center and each side marked for cycling/walking is about the only way anyone will feel less "endangered",

You'd have pedestrians and cyclists both ignoring which side to be on. I see it every day on multi-use paths that have clearly marked "bike" and "pedestrian" lanes. People do not give a poo poo.

I commute by bike exclusively and I stay off roads as much as possible altogether. Drivers have no qualms about passing me with a couple inches to spare.
I prefer bike-only or multi-use paths. Luckily I can do almost all of my commute that way.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I just hate that I have to be that rear end in a top hat that swerves and tailgates* just so I can approach the speed limit on the road to and from my work...

*Only in the sense that I try and keep close to the car in front of me so I can pass them in the other lane once we clear the even slower car in that lane. The lights are timed for the speed limit, so on the rare occasion I can make it to each light in time and people actually accelerate fast enough (and there are no 0-60 in 60 second trucks) I don't have to stop at any light except the first. Otherwise my commute can increase by 25-30%, which can be frustrating. I wish I had the money to create an ad campaign on that road to let people know they don't have to be wasting gas at all those lights!!

I also get irrationally upset at the chucklefucks who accelerate from lights at like 0.0003 mph2 (half the time the aforementioned trucks), usually after taking 5 seconds to get going in the first place.

On some roads, the speed limit is nothing more than a polite suggestion. On others, it is something to be aspired to but never achieved.

When I went home during my college days, my route had two rural state roads. Both were marked 55 and very few four way stops. On one, doing 60 to 65 was a good way to collect tailgaters. On the other, you couldn't go more than a mile without someone pulling out in front of you and maybe getting up to 50 if you were lucky.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Some guy started hulking out on me today and I'm not sure why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0-Y_XX0H4

If you have annotations turned off, black truck can be seen on my right at about :15 blocking a cargo van from safely merging. I didn't even notice the truck until he started brake checking me so I have no clue what set him off.
When he came to a complete stop I had thought that traffic stopped ahead of him (it frequently does at this point) so I waited to move. I think he got mad I didn't respond or try to pass because he eventually flipped me off and then burned out.

Also here's two other short videos from previous commutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKECt8IS_7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_PHqLx5gWI

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You should have turned into the middle lane.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Craptacular posted:

You should have turned into the middle lane.

Yeah, you jumped lanes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

what even ARE you posted:

Yeah, you jumped lanes.

I’m not going to go forensic and try to figure out where FCKGW was driving, but it’s totally legal in some jurisdictions, California among them.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 4, 2016

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Whether or not it's legal, it's really not a good idea to exit an intersection in a different lane than the one you entered it in. A lot of people do it anyways, but it's better to be predictable and maintain your actual lane until you clear the intersection.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
While the leftmost turner is required to turn into the closest lane, yes the rightmost left turner can go wide if they choose, in most jurisdictions.

You're still a dipshit if you do. Lexus was wrong and would most likely be at fault in the video, but he wasn't without sin, either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hargrimm posted:

Whether or not it's legal, it's really not a good idea to exit an intersection in a different lane than the one you entered it in. A lot of people do it anyways, but it's better to be predictable and maintain your actual lane until you clear the intersection.

It’s highly predictable that cars making protected lefts will turn into any lane.

What’s less predictable is when idiots will disregard right‐of‐way and pull out in front me. For this reason I avoid drifting to an outer lane unless I need to turn right mid‐block, but I have zero sympathy for people turning right on red being surprised when others exercise their right of way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had this argument on Reddit, that lane marking is for the innermost lane to follow. I can take either lane in CA and since I was turning right at the next right I chose the right lane.

I have had FAR MORE close calls when choosing the center lane from dipshits on the inner lane swinging wide.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 4, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

FCKGW posted:

Do you have a Clinton bumper sticker? Or other Democrat?

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

FCKGW posted:

If you have annotations turned off, black truck can be seen on my right at about :15 blocking a cargo van from safely merging. I didn't even notice the truck until he started brake checking me so I have no clue what set him off.
When he came to a complete stop I had thought that traffic stopped ahead of him (it frequently does at this point) so I waited to move. I think he got mad I didn't respond or try to pass because he eventually flipped me off and then burned out.

I had something similar to this happen to me a few months ago. I still don't know what he thought I did to him.

Murphys Law posted:

This morning I encountered a road rager that I'm too baffled by to be pissed at.

I'm just driving along when a guy in an SUV to right flashes his signal once, then jerks his car into the space in front of me, forcing me to brake. I don't think he did as some kind of gesture against me or anything, he was just an rear end with bad timing who wanted to pass the guy in front of him.

About a minute or so after this I've passed the car that had been in front of him, and since my exit is coming up I merge to the right, and since the lane is empty I put on a little speed.

Another minute or so after that I've passed the last car in the right lane and merge into it. As I'm doing this, SUV guy flashes his signal a few times (maybe) and jerks his car across the lane I was leaving and into the right lane behind me. I'm not sure how much he cleared the other car in the right lane by because I was only two car lengths ahead of them, tops.

As I'm looking in my rear view, he flips me off. Flips me off so hard his arm is shaking. I've never seen anybody strrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaiiinnnnnn so hard to flip somebody off before. Then, as I'm passing the first exit, he takes the exit, accelerates and passes me just to flip me off (straining) again.

I have no idea why. I'd never seen him before he cut me off, we didn't race, block each other, gesture to each other or anything up until that point. My first encounter with him was him cutting me off. I can only imagine he thought I'd cut him off when I merged to the right ahead of his two lane merge, but he could have just moved into the lane I'd just left and passed me there without any problem at all. The road was wide open.

Today I had a dump truck towing a small crane in the left lane of a 4 lane stretch of highway in traffic that was moving at an otherwise decent speed, with an entire line of cars behind him moving to the right to pass.

Yesterday, I'm in a center lane with traffic moving about 45 mph. The SUV behind the car to my left merges two lanes to the right, passes me, merges two lanes back to the left in the small gap between me and the car in front of me, forcing me to brake, passes the car in front of me and merges two lanes back to the right, gets onto the off ramp, then pulls back into the right lane. As I'm passing him he's driving next to the line of cars on the off ramp with his head turned to the right like he's looking for a gap to pull back in.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Two different people yesterday on my way home weren't paying attention and almost caused wrecks at two different 4-way red light intersections. First guy was a dumbass in a Wrangler who wasn't paying attention and almost blew through a solid red while the left turn from the opposite direction had the green arrow. Not even 1/4 mile away from that, another moron in a beat up Accord apparently thought green arrows for the left turn meant everyone can go and drove about 2/3 into the intersection almost hitting the guy ahead of me taking a left. I swear half these idiots must still be nursing hangovers or still drunk Monday morning, that's the only explanation I can think of.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If I had to guess, black truck hulk guy was mad that you closed the gap with the white car on your right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0-Y_XX0H4&t=36s because ten seconds later he's passing you fast on the left, cuts you off, and then brake checks you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Do you have a Clinton bumper sticker? Or other Democrat?

Nope. My license plate says LOLNERD on it though, maybe he's mad at that.

The Mandingo posted:

If I had to guess, black truck hulk guy was mad that you closed the gap with the white car on your right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0-Y_XX0H4&t=36s because ten seconds later he's passing you fast on the left, cuts you off, and then brake checks you.

That's the only thing I can think of. Traffic started to speed up at this point and the car ahead of me merged so I was making up ground. I didn't even see him in my peripheral so he must not have been that close to making the gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

what even ARE you posted:

Lexus was wrong and would most likely be at fault in the video, but he wasn't without sin, either.

Let he who is without sin cast the first locking wheel nut.