Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jastiger posted:

I've been playing vox populi so im guessing that Avenue is closed off i always find that if i dont use my trade routes externally i run out of gold and it torpedoes my civ, so i never get my big food bonus.

It's still possible, gold is mostly an issue in VP early on but eases off as you unlock policies to deal with that, because policies are much, much more powerful in VP than they are in V:BNW. A gold-focused religion really helps. VP doesn't really kill the Tradition maximum growth strat so much as it brings up other strategies to be more competitively viable (I think my last VP game had my Chinese capital with about 130 turns of "We Love the Empress Day" with that sweet 50% growth bonus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I'm going to play Scythia a lot so I can drown every other civilization in a tidal wave of horsemen and tanks.

I didn't think about it before, but I'm pretty sure their 2 for 1 deal extends to the end of the Light Cavalry line: helicopters.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Roland Jones posted:

I'm late to the discussion, but what civilizations are people liking at the moment?

Probably Arabia, but I'm generally a pacifist science-victory nut.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I'm going to play Scythia a lot so I can drown every other civilization in a tidal wave of horsemen and tanks.

Maybe I haven't been examining the streams as closely as I should but I haven't seen much Scythia in action from the prerelease vids people are doing.

I was looking forward to see how their "overrun the world with horses everywhere" strategy actually fared in practice.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Super Jay Mann posted:

Maybe I haven't been examining the streams as closely as I should but I haven't seen much Scythia in action from the prerelease vids people are doing.

I was looking forward to see how their "overrun the world with horses everywhere" strategy actually fared in practice.

I'm sure it would work very well because they are on prince difficulty. No streamers seem to have any issues winning.

Although, with the quality of the streamers so far, you'd just see them become confused about why they got two horse units instead of one, and click around trying to find out why for 10 minutes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

This has been a problem with Civ forever. In early Civ , you couldn't destroy a poo poo city you captured. Later, they let you raze the city and just paid an insane OMG WARMONGER penalty for it. Then it just got worse with the 'foreign national" tracking.

Just let me burn a goddamned city to the ground, I only captured it because the stupid AI doesn't space out their cities so no city interferes with the other like I autisticly do.
Apparently destroying a city is instant in this Civ. Massive warmonger penalties though, of course.

Roland Jones posted:

I'm late to the discussion, but what civilizations are people liking at the moment? So far I'm really liking the look of Arabia; they've got science, faith and a guaranteed religion, and even a bit of bonus culture. That's pretty close to everything I'd want; science and culture are the two things I'd like to focus on, and I definitely like getting a religion even in games where it's not central to my strategy. It seems pretty great.
Arabia's a fun one. It looks like you can just concentrate on science and then jump into the religious game late without having to stress about it.

Personally, I think Greece looks really interesting. The extra wildcard slot from the beginning looks really flexible, and all their bonuses to culture are great now that culture is an alternate tech tree. I like the idea of using the wildcard slot for an extra diplomacy policy to win over city states more effectively and giving them their (percentage based) culture boost to their already boosted cultural districts. Just have to make sure you're settling next to hills. Hoplites seem pretty okay too.

Any civ that has a unique district seems really good, as they've said all unique districts are half price and don't count against the district cap from population. So any civ with a unique district also has an extra district per city basically.

Which brings me to another crazy-fun sounding Civilization: Germany. They get an extra district as their ability... plus the Hansa, a cheap industrial zone they can spam in every city. So all their cities end up with two extra districts, and one of those will be the cheap industrial district that they can use to build all the rest. The only thing that's not perfect is Barbarossa. Who needs combat bonuses against city states? The extra military policy is kind of nice though, as there are some of those that give a bit of an economic bonus too, like reducing unit maintenance. Also, submarines don't seem like the most impressive unique unit.

I really hope Germany gets another leader with a better bonus.

One thing that Quill18's stream showed that was pretty crazy was that districts could apply their bonus to any city within so many tiles. So if you really want to go tall you'd still want to spam as many satellite cities as you can fit around your core, each with districts placed to boost as many cities as possible.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Eiba posted:

Which brings me to another crazy-fun sounding Civilization: Germany. They get an extra district as their ability... plus the Hansa, a cheap industrial zone they can spam in every city. So all their cities end up with two extra districts, and one of those will be the cheap industrial district that they can use to build all the rest. The only thing that's not perfect is Barbarossa. Who needs combat bonuses against city states? The extra military policy is kind of nice though, as there are some of those that give a bit of an economic bonus too, like reducing unit maintenance. Also, submarines don't seem like the most impressive unique unit.

I think I'll like Barbarossa. I think there is a hidden advantage in the city-state combat bonus and the 2 extra districts. As Barbarossa, I see a nearby city-state as just holding a spot for me. I can build my empire, and when I'm ready I'll swoop in with my bonus, take over the city, and add two more districts to it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel like my first game will be as Gilgamesh. Sumer is the civ I missed the most in Civ V, and I'm a sucker for unique improvements. I dig that everyone gets some kind of unique infrastructure in this game.

Also I love the idea of getting bonuses for fighting with my AI buddies.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Eiba posted:

I really hope Germany gets another leader with a better bonus.

I agree, with the right leader there's no telling what Germany might accomplish.

Seriously though, I'm excited to see Gorgo. Greece seems alright as a flexible faction with a nice early UU, I'd like to see a more warry leader ability.

I'm probably going to roll for my first game (and reroll if I don't like them).

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 4, 2016

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jay Rust posted:

I did have a non-zero amount of fun making aesthetically-pleasing road paths between my cities in 5

I liked building roads because they made such a huge difference, especially when playing on maps with difficult terrain, and in that sense it is very true to history where a road network was the difference between communications and people moving between cities in four days or forty. Isn't there a unit that builds roads in Civ VI, the industrial engineer or something? Has anyone explored how that unit works yet? There's never really a reason to build roads between anything apart from cities, unless maybe you want a road down to the coast to embark all your units and invade another continent/island, but maybe the civil engineer is just "specify two tiles on the map and the engineer will build a road connecting them"?

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Military engineers are like builders. You move them onto a tile and they make the improvement. They only have 2 charges though so they seem pretty awful.

The problem is they also build forts and airstrips. if they had enough charges to build a decent road they'd be able to build too many forts and airstrips.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just make forts take multiple charges.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Are there buildable tile improvements that act like canals? This is important.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

hexal posted:

Military engineers are like builders. You move them onto a tile and they make the improvement. They only have 2 charges though so they seem pretty awful.

The problem is they also build forts and airstrips. if they had enough charges to build a decent road they'd be able to build too many forts and airstrips.

I guess you could get more charges with military civics?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Krazyface posted:

I didn't think about it before, but I'm pretty sure their 2 for 1 deal extends to the end of the Light Cavalry line: helicopters.

*plays as Scythia, lines up Flight of the Valkyries on playlist*

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Roland Jones posted:

I'm late to the discussion, but what civilizations are people liking at the moment? So far I'm really liking the look of Arabia; they've got science, faith and a guaranteed religion, and even a bit of bonus culture. That's pretty close to everything I'd want; science and culture are the two things I'd like to focus on, and I definitely like getting a religion even in games where it's not central to my strategy. It seems pretty great.

I want to play Rome, build all my cities in a massive line, and then setup trades from one side to the other for massive trading post gold.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Away all Goats posted:

Are there buildable tile improvements that act like canals? This is important.

I don't think canals are in, but I think there is a harbour tile improvement you can make to allow shipbuilding if you haven't settled right on the coast, you can just build it on a coastal water tile within your city. So no more settling your first city and then realising you're two tiles away from a coastal start and can't make boats.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The harbor is a district, and one of the things that make me impatient for this game the most.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is the list of Civs alphabetical by leader or Civ name? I plan on starting with whoever is first and working my way down. First Civ would be America, maybe, unless it is by leader in which case I have no idea.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Probably gonna go with Egypt, they always seem like a solid civ to learn with.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So the quote for Mt. Kilimanjaro is from a blog post written by some random college student, huh

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*plays as Scythia, lines up Flight of the Valkyries on playlist*

First reaction I had too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6gcz4hdLA8&t=200s

:getin:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So the quote for Mt. Kilimanjaro is from a blog post written by some random college student, huh

is he at least dead

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

is he at least dead

I saw it in a Giant Bomb Quick Look and looked it up, it's found here: http://thoughtcatalog.com/nancy-bonds/2013/08/5-life-lessons-i-learned-from-climbing-mount-kilimanjaro/

The quote for Foreign Trade is from a Dutch young adult fantasy novel. I guess they are going for a less elitist vibe with the quotes?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Byzantine posted:

Probably gonna go with Egypt, they always seem like a solid civ to learn with.

I think I'll go with France for my first game, mainly out of a self-appointed sense of gently caress the grogs who bitched so much about Catherine de Medici.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Firaxis please use my quote in the game

"I too would like to experience the wonders of Yosemite...if only there was a frozen yogurt stand nearby."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Economics quote is from Margaret Thatcher, now I hope this is just a pre-release quote pack for streamers to troll people

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
A Scott Adams quote has popped up in multiple streams as well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it's interesting vibe to go for, but I might miss the more weighty historical figures and stuff.

I also wonder if they asked the bloggers they took quotes from, I mean I guess with quotes they probably wouldn't have to, but it might be nice

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think it's interesting vibe to go for, but I might miss the more weighty historical figures and stuff.

"Beep, beep, beep, beep..."

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Joe_Richter posted:

A Scott Adams quote has popped up in multiple streams as well.

Is there a linguistic kill shot tech?

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Why would you get Sean Bean and then have him quote Thatcher, Adams, and bloggers?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 31, 2022

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

deathbysnusnu posted:

Is there a linguistic kill shot tech?

There is if you believe in it strongly enough.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
They probably would have used Donald Trump is the Great Wall was still a wonder

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Midnightghoul posted:

They probably would have used Donald Trump is the Great Wall was still a wonder

I already know what quote I'd use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU8dCYocuyI&t=813s

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The quotes are definitely cringe-worthy. If modding isn't unrealistically difficult this time around I can see someone replacing most of the bad ones with an equivalent Civ IV and V narration.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Why would you get Sean Bean and then have him quote Thatcher, Adams, and bloggers?

I mean the quality of quote is more important than the source. I'm no fan of Thatcher or Adams but if they can spin a decent quote.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Game's already set-up to allow for multiple quotes, so I'd imagine adding more/replacing extant quotes won't be a particularly hard mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd3Ce7f4EUY&t=12m28s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGuG0WUKjd0&t=24m16s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Well he needs to die somehow...